GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Board of Directors
D
Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 12:03
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:44) correct 43% (01:39) wrong based on 101 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglasses. Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is not shining, Ned carries his sunglasses in his pocket. Sometimes the sun is shining when Ned is not outdoors.

If the statements above are true and Ned is not wearing his sunglasses, which of the following statements must also be true?

(A) Ned is carrying his sunglasses in his pocket.
(B) Ned is not outdoors.
(C) Ned is not outdoors and the sun is not shining.
(D) Ned is not outdoors and/or the sun is not shining.
(E) Ned is outdoors and/or the sun is not shining.

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 12:47
carcass wrote:
Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglasses. Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is not shining, Ned carries his sunglasses in his pocket. Sometimes the sun is shining when Ned is not outdoors.

If the statements above are true and Ned is not wearing his sunglasses, which of the following statements must also be true?

(A) Ned is carrying his sunglasses in his pocket.
(B) Ned is not outdoors.
(C) Ned is not outdoors and the sun is not shining.
(D) Ned is not outdoors and/or the sun is not shining.
(E) Ned is outdoors and/or the sun is not shining.

1. O + S = G
2. O + S' = P

We have N not wearing glasses, so there can be 2 scenarios -

1. Its not sunny outside
2. Ned is not outside (As we do not have info about his status when he is in door )

(C) presentes both the situation accurately, thus Answer must be (C)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 01:35
Hi,
I'm not sure if my approach is right but this is how I came upon D as the answer.

There are two cases wherein Ned won't be wearing his sunglasses i.e either the sun isn't shining outside or he is indoors. Now we're only told that Ned isn't wearing his sunglasses. Hence we need to make room for both the possibilities that either he is indoors or the sun isn't shining outside. Choice C doesn't take into consideration the fact that the sun might be shining outside and Ned is indoors. Hence i went with option D.

Hope this makes sense. Would request carcass , GMATNinjaTwo , GMATNinja to weigh in and correct me if I'm mistaken.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 01:59
How to interpret D and E answer choices?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 02:09
admission2020 wrote:
How to interpret D and E answer choices?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi admission2020,

Choice E does not take into consideration that Ned might be indoor. It states that "Ned is outdoors and/or the sun is not shining. As stated we need both possibilities for the correct answer i.e ned can be indoor and/or the sun is not shining. Only option D gives up these possibilities. Hence I went with D.
Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 06:25
How can we say about his being not outdoors?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglas   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2019, 06:25

Whenever Ned is outdoors and the sun is shining, Ned wears his sunglas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics