It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 14:56

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

520->690, took time, no consulting, but a fellowship holder at UCLA

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 3

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 520 Q48 V15
GMAT 3: 600 Q48 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
520->690, took time, no consulting, but a fellowship holder at UCLA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
There are plenty of stories and very useful materials shared by similar achievers here at GMATClub. Probably, I had/have the least resources to tell you what I used to study - I would skip that part. However, I might have something useful to share. My time, writing this post, I consider it well spent, if it made some of you think or got some take-away messages from it.

I'm a commoner, no better talented than any of you. I don't even come from a family where someone nurtured me to succeed in academics. I have made it this far from a small town in India, a town nobody in India might have heard of. Yet, I'm a proud student at UCLA Anderson for the class of 2020. To place a cheery on top - a fellowship holder. Can there be any better? Of course, no matter which school you go, unless society is benefitted by you, even graduating from Harvard makes no sense. In short, it was an amazing journey, but a long way to go before I'm happy and feel content in what I do.

I will leave some key points for you to take a moment and think about them:

• Less is more - Don't kill yourself searching for materials and listing to many people. Each person has a story to tell, good, but a couple of stories should give you enough understanding of whatever you are looking for. I only referred to Kaplan, Official GMAT and online 800 and took mock exams from Official GMAT and VeritasPrep. There are tons of other materials that you might get attracted to because a top scorer had recommended it. Short-list a few really good resources and stick to it.
  • At the end of day, you know NOTHING expect how to approach a problem - Yes, know your fundamentals, denial tests, exceptions, rule of thumb, and others but above all, you should know how to tackle the problem. If you observe all the problems in GMAT, you will notice that they nicely fit into a handful of techniques to solve them, so identifying what problems belong to what technique is half-the-battle won.
  • Practice: Never give-up - Unless, you have a really good memory and a good hash map to retrieve information from your brain, practice and practice. I was broken and felt doomed after the first two attempts. It's a matter of career, $100K+ money, time and old-age regrets. It took me 2years to get into a good school. Keep your moral high, and keep coming back until you achieve something.
  • Think strategically - Everyone likes to ace 700+, everyone likes to get into top 5. I never got either but I'm a fellowship holder at Anderson. It's one of the best full-time and the very best part-time schools in the country. I could have given another shot to get 700+, instead I spent my time enhancing my career and portfolio. I'm a typical software engineer, but I think I sold myself pretty well to get that. No matter what, "fellowship" looks good on paper!
  • Expect nothing - This is really hard to do, but learn something new/useful not to get a high score or to get into a top school, but just to better yourself. Once I was blind to believe, what English/American wrote set the standard for english writing, but after learning verbal, I could notice errors in emails that people send. If not anything, I improved my detective skills.
  • Brisk walk a marathon, don't run a sprint - What good is it to work as a consultant graduating from Berkeley but had ambitions to become a successful entrepreneur. It's better to graduate from USC and be a well-know social entrepreneur in LA. Don't burn yourself down trying to be at the best place, rather spend it wisely to become the best you can. If it means, you had to settle down to the second best, be it. At some point, your friends will slow down after being at best, you keep walking and you should be able to over-take them.

Finally, this post was suppose to be my MBA journey, but unless it gives the reader some insights, it doesn't what I write as my journey. So, to end my post, there is a very well thought out reasoning behind it. I myself said above, never to give up, and Berkeley, the only other university I applied besides UCLA, rejected me. So, I could try again. All in all, I will leave it, as an exercise, for you folks to reason it out. It may help you, in situations, you may face down the line. Try and try to get to the top OR spread the energy over a longer period of time. Give it a try. If you like, write to me, and I can share my insights.

Good luck!
Adarsh

Last edited by adarshshetty on 06 Aug 2017, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 3

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 750 [0], given: 20

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 520->690, took time, no consulting, but a fellowship holder at UCLA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 19:55
Thanks a ton for the words of wisdom and congrats on the UCLA admit.

Being part of the most overrepresented group of people at any business school and a just about average GMAT score, what did you think was that one thing which really helped distinguish yourself from the rest. Perhaps you could throw some light on that??

Posted from my mobile device

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 520->690, took time, no consulting, but a fellowship holder at UCLA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 20:36
Congratulations on your grand success!!!!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 121

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 20:54
pushpitkc wrote:

Being part of the most overrepresented group of people at any business school and a just about average GMAT score, what did you think was that one thing which really helped distinguish yourself from the rest. Perhaps you could throw some light on that??

The reality is that good schools want good GMAT score. So, you must meet the average requirements of the schools you apply for, and then get siloed - go to mountains where you have no one to talk to. Just joking! What you should realize and get mastery at is to recognize something well-done and portray it in a way it sends out a message. A simple thing you may have done in the past may worth 100words in an essay. Of course, aim for bigger achievements but something subtle like debating with a knowledgable friend can be looked as a reason to improve ones logical reasoning. I hope that answers you.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 309

GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 07:58
Congratulations on the Anderson admit!

Your post was definitely inspiring and I am glad you shared your story. Anderson is my top choice for business school so I hope you continue to share your journey with us!

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 309

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18063 [0], given: 1991

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 12:07

Kudos [?]: 18063 [0], given: 1991

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 12:12
souvik101990 wrote:
Congratulations on the admit. Great feat. You applied last year so i'm curious why you are not class of 2019. Are you deferring your admission?

No, I applied for this year.

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Sales (Retail)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 22:21
adarshshetty wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:

The reality is that good schools want good GMAT score. So, you must meet the average requirements of the schools you apply for, and then get siloed - go to mountains where you have no one to talk to. Just joking! What you should realize and get mastery at is to recognize something well-done and portray it in a way it sends out a message. A simple thing you may have done in the past may worth 100words in an essay. Of course, aim for bigger achievements but something subtle like debating with a knowledgable friend can be looked as a reason to improve ones logical reasoning. I hope that answers you.

Thanks for the tip, sir.
I will definitely consider this while writing my essays!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 11:00
Congrats on the admit and that too with a fellowship.

Could you provide any info on what resources you used for the application process?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: 520->690, took time, no consulting, but a fellowship holder at UCLA   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 11:00

520->690, took time, no consulting, but a fellowship holder at UCLA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap