GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

690 to 760

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
690 to 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 09:43
Hey!

Getting a high GMAT score was something that I wanted to do, more than getting into a good business school itself.

I was always good at quant and never had to study it. In the three attempts that I gave (once in July 2013, July 2017 and Nov 2018) I scored a Q51 without studying for a single minute.

It was the verbal section that daunted me.

I don't even know what happened in my first attempt, I remember that I didn't understand the questions and what they were trying to ask. I scored a Q51 V31 for a 690. So I went back home and bought a bunch of Manhattan verbal books and understood the basics of the verbal section.

In the four years that I didn't attempt the GMAT (July 2013- July 2017) I kept preparing a tad bit by reading the economist to improve my reading ability (I can say for sure that it didn't help me)

The attempt that I took in July 2017 was the one that I prepared the most. I read the economist, read Manhattan SC and prepared for almost 3/4 weeks. I started with the verbal section and got stumbled in the first few SC questions. And from there on, I got easy questions and scored a V33 and Q51 for a 700. The timing wasn't the issue in the verbal section, I truly didn't know the answer to the questions.

I was shattered and didn't really care about the GMAT anymore. I also started to believe that I am stupid. And I thought about the things that I could have learned in that time that I spent reading grammar rules. So I took a break, did the first two levels of CFA and then started verbal a year later.

This time I applied the rule that I apply while I play tennis: Practice with people much tougher than your actual opponents in matches. So, to avoid the problem of not understanding the verbal questions, instead or practicing GMAT questions, I practiced LSAT's. I studied LSAT's critical reasoning and reading comprehension. And for sentence correcting studied the GMAT official guide and read why each incorrect option was wrong, which helped me learn a lot of grammar rules.

During the exam day, I had to first go to work, took a half day and reached the examination centre. The first verbal question was really tricky, one of the weird SC question. I spent almost 3 mins on it because I really wanted to get the first few correct. After question 13 or 14, I couldn't understand anything the exam was asking me. I remember that it was a really tough CR question and I had no clue what the argument was and I had to somehow weaken it.

But I completed the verbal section with about 5 minutes left. And I scored a Q51 V41, a 760. (Though I really wanted to score a 780, I was content with that score)

I knew for sure that the third attempt would have been my last even if I scored a 600.

I might want to be a GMAT tutor in my life, so ask all your doubts and I would be happy to help!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Re: 690 to 760  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 10:20
siddharthrajpal wrote:
Hey!

Getting a high GMAT score was something that I wanted to do, more than getting into a good business school itself.

I might want to be a GMAT tutor in my life, so ask all your doubts and I would be happy to help!

Hey siddharthrajpal

Let me be the first to congratulate you on that stellar score! This post couldn't have come at a better time as I myself am preparing for the D-Day.

Could you please let me know how you maintained the error log? It would be great if you can let me know what mock tests you took and how did you analyze each mock?

Thanks in advance! Kudos to your score once again!

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 10:55
So, I didn't really maintain an error log for RC and CR. Just for SC.

I created notes that summarized everything that was written in the Manhattan SC book. And at the end of those notes, I logged all the questions that I got wrong in the OG and which grammar rules I missed.

I would revise those notes once every 3 or 4 days.

I took a few GMAT mock tests and attempted only the verbal section. And here's what I scored:

Manhattan (2 weeks before the exam): V41.
GMAT prep1 (2 weeks before the exam): V42
GMAT prep2 (a few days before the exam): V40
Veritas (a week before the exam): V46.

And when I gave the mock exam, I read why I got the questions incorrect and wrote rules that I didn't know about in the notes I had created.

Manager
Manager
P
GPA: 3.95
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 20:23
Hey siddharthrajpal, Congratulations on making it to the 99 percentile club!

Its amazing that you did not have to prepare much for a Q51 three times in a row! Hope you get accepted at the universities of your choice!
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 23:09
siddharthrajpal, Kudos bhai.
This post is really inspiring.
So far I can relate so much till the part where I cannot improve in verbal . ( I am currently standing at plus minus q42 v21)
I have many question with your preparation
1) what is your technique for RC and CR question?
Like do you read the whole passage and write summary, or read first few lines and last lines.
I have big troubles in solving rc on time with accuracy, now that my accuracy has improved by reading the whole passage, but that doesn’t work in the real mock exams because of timings.
2) what would you say what improved your score in verbal majorly.
Specific Books, practise ways, analysis methods, courses, beliefs

3) My teacher has recommended me to read vocab for a month and not to do gmat question in verbal. What do you think about it ? ( seeing that you read economist magazine)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 06:15
Hey, for RC and CR, I read all of the words very slowly, at a pace at which I can understand every word and the meaning of the passage. I almost never had to read the passage again. Please don't read it fast or read just some parts. Read it all. I never faced timing issues with the GMAT.
And don't read any vocab, my vocab is well below average (I mean it, 5th graders have better vocab than I do). Yet, there was no word in the GMAT whose meaning I didn't know.

When I read the economist, I made sure that I underlined the main idea of the passage. That helps with RC and CR.

I read a book called lsat Cr bible, it was useful.

Let me know of any specific questions you have. I will reply here

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 09:16
siddharthrajpal wrote:
Hey, for RC and CR, I read all of the words very slowly, at a pace at which I can understand every word and the meaning of the passage. I almost never had to read the passage again. Please don't read it fast or read just some parts. Read it all. I never faced timing issues with the GMAT.
And don't read any vocab, my vocab is well below average (I mean it, 5th graders have better vocab than I do). Yet, there was no word in the GMAT whose meaning I didn't know.

When I read the economist, I made sure that I underlined the main idea of the passage. That helps with RC and CR.

I read a book called lsat Cr bible, it was useful.

Let me know of any specific questions you have. I will reply here

but reading the economist didn't help you as you mentioned in the post. How did you get accuracy and paced timings in long run?
is it just reading the books or just practicing rigorously? Did you take notes while reading the passage/argument?

What would be the top tweaks in your preparation and in test strategies that helped you improve your score?
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 09:00
siddharthrajpal wrote:
Hey!

I was always good at quant and never had to study it. In the three attempts that I gave (once in July 2013, July 2017 and Nov 2018) I scored a Q51 without studying for a single minute.

Congrats for 99 percentile with three consecutive Q51.

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 690 to 760   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2019, 09:00

690 to 760

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics