GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 21:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to leading economists across the world, inflation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Posts: 9
According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Apr 2019, 03:15
1
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

52% (00:57) correct 48% (01:10) wrong based on 201 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to leading economists across the world, inflation is one of the factors that seems to indicate that an economy might be headed for a recession

A) factors that seems to indicate that an economy
B) factors, which seem to indicate that an economy
C) factors that seem to indicate an economy
D) factors that seem to indicate that an economy
B) factors which seems to indicate that an economy

Originally posted by moul on 12 Apr 2019, 02:30.
Last edited by moul on 12 Apr 2019, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58453
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 02:36
moul wrote:
According to leading economists across the world, inflation is one of the factors that seems to indicate that an economy might be headed for a recession

A) factors that seems to indicate that an economy
B) factors, which seem to indicate that an economy
C) factors that seem to indicate an economy
D) factors that seem to indicate that an economy
B) factors which seems to indicate that an economy


Please edit the post and provide the source and the Official Answer (OA). Thank you.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 03:22
Source of above problem is unknown. I came across it on facebook group. If this does not fit to the forum rules then please remove the post.
Answer provided was-- D. But I disagree with it. I feel answer is A because 'one of the factors' is singular and hence it should use 'seems'. I request experts please advice on this.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 66
Location: Germany
GPA: 3
CAT Tests
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 03:51
I could be wrong but doesnt "that" modify factors which is plural. Hence D works ?

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Proud Wildling :)


Your Kudos are much appreciated


The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense."
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Jul 2018
Posts: 177
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 03:55
2
moul wrote:
Source of above problem is unknown. I came across it on facebook group. If this does not fit to the forum rules then please remove the post.
Answer provided was-- D. But I disagree with it. I feel answer is A because 'one of the factors' is singular and hence it should use 'seems'. I request experts please advice on this.


moul "One of Xs that/who" takes on plural verb forms. "One of Xs" takes on singular forms. Therefore, A is definitely incorrect; factors that seems should be "seem".
_________________
.
"What you do in practice determines your level of success. I used to tell my players: You have to give 100% everyday. Whatever you don't give, you can't make it up tomorrow."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 5020
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 09:26
moul wrote:
According to leading economists across the world, inflation is one of the factors that seems to indicate that an economy might be headed for a recession

A) factors that seems to indicate that an economy
B) factors, which seem to indicate that an economy
C) factors that seem to indicate an economy
D) factors that seem to indicate that an economy
B) factors which seems to indicate that an economy


IMO D ;
inflation is one of the factors that seem to indicate that an economy ; "inflation is amongst many other things it means" and seem is correct verb singular with inflation
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 66
Location: Germany
GPA: 3
CAT Tests
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 09:55
anothermillenial

Are you sure about the "One of Xs" takes on singular forms??

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Proud Wildling :)


Your Kudos are much appreciated


The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense."
NUS School Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 1020
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 11:41
Important point.

1. One of the Xs that/who <plural>
2. One of the Xs <singular>

Hence D is the correct answer. As it requires a plural verb seem.
_________________
Press +1 Kudos If my post helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 297
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 21:42
moul wrote:
According to leading economists across the world, inflation is one of the factors that seems to indicate that an economy might be headed for a recession

A) factors that seems to indicate that an economy
B) factors, which seem to indicate that an economy
C) factors that seem to indicate an economy
D) factors that seem to indicate that an economy
B) factors which seems to indicate that an economy


My approach:

"that" in option A modifies factors and factors is plural so the word "seems" does not make sense rather "seem" should be the word.
By that logic A and E are out.

the clause after the word indicate actually explains the cause of recession so "that" has to be there.

since the function of the line - seem to indicate that an economy... is essential to explain the sentence, that is why we need a "that" and not "which"

daagh sir - please put in your inputs
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1685
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 22:31
moul wrote:
According to leading economists across the world, inflation is one of the factors that seems to indicate that an economy might be headed for a recession.


A) factors that seems to indicate that an economy

Here "that" modifies "factors" therefore the main subject of the verb "seem" is "factors" and not "one".

If we remove "that", the subject is "one" and verb will be "seems"

B) factors, which seem to indicate that an economy

Not a complete sentence.

C) factors that seem to indicate an economy

Modification error. Factors do not seem to indicate "an economy" but something relevant to "an economy". Therefore we need "that" before "an economy".

"Indicate + that" correct.

D) factors that seem to indicate that an economy

Correct.

B) factors which seems to indicate that an economy

SV disagreement as we need "seem" because of modification rule the subject is "factors" and not "one".
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5097
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 23:51
1
Top Contributor
Saurabh

Overall, your rationale is in line. Here are some additional angles.

According to leading economists across the world, inflation is one of the factors that seems to indicate that an economy might be headed for a recession

A) factors that seems to indicate that an economy -- Your reasoning is perfect; A is out because of the singular verb 'seems".


B) factors, which seem to indicate that an economy --- here the relative pronoun 'which' is separated by a comma. Hence, it looks as if it may not modify factors. 'Of factors' is simply a prepositional middleman and the real subject is the singular 'one'; therefore, the verb also should be 'seems' rather than 'seem."

C) factors that seem to indicate an economy -- This is a report of a fact. They are best introduced in a relative clause starting with 'that'. It gives a wrong feeling that the factors are directly indicating the economy rather than indicating us.

D) factors that seem to indicate that an economy -- You are right. This is the correct answer.

E) factors which seems to indicate that an economy-- The basic problem is that the relative pronoun which is not preceded by a comma, meaning that the 'which' now refers to the factors. Although technically this reasoning is ok, the verb should be plural 'seem' rather than the singular 'seems'. Your reason in this case also correct.
_________________
If you can't sync with the vibe of GMAT, you had better think!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jul 2018
Posts: 2
CAT Tests
Re: According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 06:20
daagh sir
Can 'that' refer to plural factors?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1685
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 06:27
Srik20 wrote:
daagh sir
Can 'that' refer to plural factors?

Posted from my mobile device


100% "that" and "which" both can refer to singular and plural nouns. And this is the sole reason why D is preferred to A.

There are many official examples present to prove this too.
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: enjoying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5097
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
According to leading economists across the world, inflation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 07:42
2
Top Contributor
Srik

yes; it can; it depends upon what is in front of 'that' If there is a plural noun before 'that', then the relative pronoun will refer to a plural noun. if there is a singular noun in front of it, then that will refer to a singular word'. The verb also will change accordingly.
example: The fruits that are sold in the fruit mall are of high quality. The book that is lying on the table is a novel by Irving Wallace.
I think you should not get confused between 'that' as a relative pronoun and that as an adjective. We can't say that books. We can only say that book. Similarly, we cannot say those book, we can only say those books, here that or those are adjectives.
_________________
If you can't sync with the vibe of GMAT, you had better think!!!
GMAT Club Bot
According to leading economists across the world, inflation   [#permalink] 15 May 2019, 07:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to leading economists across the world, inflation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne