It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admissions Consultant Rescheduling?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.6
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Admissions Consultant Rescheduling? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 08:27
Hi,

I am really unfamiliar with what it is like to work with an admissions consultant. I have hired one to help me in the upcoming application cycle and we have been working together for about a month now. However, I swear we have not met a meeting time once. They are always moved or rescheduled. I realize it is very early in the process so its not a big deal right now but essay questions are starting to come out and I am getting kinda worried about what this will mean for the future...is this a red flag? Is it normal for consultants to be super flexible with meeting times? Its not like any deadlines have been missed nor have I had to rearrange my schedule and my consultant is responsive to email and text..its really just an annoyance at this point...and I feel like most work a lot through email rather than meetings anyway other than the up front getting your stories down right?

I'm mostly asking because I can be super type A about things so I could be overreacting. I just don't want this to create stress later on in the application process.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Admissions Consultant Rescheduling? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 21:08
Are you meeting them in person? If so, that's actually quite unusual. Most of them, you never meet and only have them on skype at best, but most likely phone or even email. However, if you are doing these in person, I feel these meetings are more valuable than phone or email since you exchange more non-verbal communication and if the consultant is good, they can pick up a lot.

There are a few things at play potentially: Most consultants actually have busy day jobs and some of them are super impressive individuals - truly the best of the best. Many of the consulting companies are able to tap these folks in at $100-200 per hour. Even for the HBS MBB types, it is an attractive source of income that allows them to pick who they want to work with and provides a healthy distraction. At the same time, their primary job is their day job and they have certain limitations and factors they have to balance.

At the same time feedback like yours can either indicate an over-booked individual who is really not in charge of their own time (a controlling boss who changes meetings, etc). It also can mean a disorganized person who may be brilliant but they really do not have it together.

It is frustrating, I am sure and you are paying an arm and a leg, I am sure, and you are struggling to give them respect they deserve due to constant reschedule. That makes a somewhat one-sided relationship. It is not a red flag unless they are also late on their part, assignments, etc. However, you have to kind of look at the big picture - is this going to bother you to the point that you are not going to trust the consultant you are paying? Or potentially it is going to annoy you even more as deadlines and stress come in? You have a somewhat advantage by meeting in person - would it be preferred to you if you were doing it on the phone or skype but at an exact time? now that you have established some familiarity and report, you can switch to phone fairly easily.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Admissions Consultant Rescheduling? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 00:17
HBSorBust91 wrote:
Hi,

I am really unfamiliar with what it is like to work with an admissions consultant. I have hired one to help me in the upcoming application cycle and we have been working together for about a month now. However, I swear we have not met a meeting time once. They are always moved or rescheduled. I realize it is very early in the process so its not a big deal right now but essay questions are starting to come out and I am getting kinda worried about what this will mean for the future...is this a red flag? Is it normal for consultants to be super flexible with meeting times? Its not like any deadlines have been missed nor have I had to rearrange my schedule and my consultant is responsive to email and text..its really just an annoyance at this point...and I feel like most work a lot through email rather than meetings anyway other than the up front getting your stories down right?

I'm mostly asking because I can be super type A about things so I could be overreacting. I just don't want this to create stress later on in the application process.

What have the reasons for all this rescheduling been?

As someone working for an admission consultancy company I cannot answer how common this is (I don’t work with other admissions consultants after all!) but I can say that we recently had someone switch to us for the same reason (they just felt the constant change of plans was a sign the consultant they were previously working with was not serious enough) so it does happen. That of course does not mean it’s a good thing.

If you are very happy with the consultant you are working with now otherwise, maybe address the issue with that person? Otherwise I would suggest you start looking for someone who can stick to their appointments instead.

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Re: Admissions Consultant Rescheduling?   [#permalink] 22 May 2017, 00:17

Admissions Consultant Rescheduling?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap