GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 09:33
GMATNinja wrote:
Leonaann wrote:
just would like to clarify a doubt.

In option B, ' by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith???s fault' is modifying the action verb defused right? Could someone please help to confirm this? thanks

That's right! How did the CEO defuse the situation? By publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith's fault. "By publicly stating..." functions as an adverb, modifying the verb "defused".

Can you please explain how "by publicly stating" is used as an adverb....? how to find this in these kind of sentences...?
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 10:47
AjiteshArun wrote:
JS1290 wrote:
Could someone please explain why option E is incorrect?
There are two problems in option E:

... a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

1. A quite tense situation is not the right way to express that idea. For example:

She solved a question that was quite tough. ← This one is fine.
vs.
She solved a quite tough question. ← This is not correct.

He watched a movie that was quite long. ← This one is fine.
vs.
He watched a quite long movie. ← This is not correct.

2. Stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault is better (more direct) than stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

Why are the parts in bold not correct?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 04:08
jamalabdullah100 wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
JS1290 wrote:
Could someone please explain why option E is incorrect?
There are two problems in option E:

... a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

1. A quite tense situation is not the right way to express that idea. For example:

She solved a question that was quite tough. ← This one is fine.
vs.
She solved a quite tough question. ← This is not correct.

He watched a movie that was quite long. ← This one is fine.
vs.
He watched a quite long movie. ← This is not correct.

2. Stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault is better (more direct) than stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault.

Why are the parts in bold not correct?

Can someone help out with my latest question please?
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 01:39
Yes please, I would also love some more explanation.
Is that rule valid all the time?

In the case of:

a. he solved a difficult question
b. he solved a question that was difficult.

Wouldn't A be preferred for conciseness?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 08:54
AjiteshArun wrote:
janadipesh wrote:
Please clarify the below points
1. by publicly stating and by stating publicly ...both are ok?
2. usage of that or which . in this particular case , are both ok?
1. I think both are okay.

Before we take (2), remember that when we see a "comma + which", the information contained in the which clause is just additional information and is not used to define the noun that the which points to (it works the opposite way for that).

2. No. We'll need a that here (not a ", which"). The reason for this is that we want to say "the CEO defused a tense situation", and not "the CEO defused a situation". For example:

The mathematician solved a problem that was considered impossible to solve. ← We should read the whole thing as a unit.
The mathematician solved a problem, which was considered impossible to solve. ← Here we don't take a problem and the which clause as a unit.

The second one is not correct as the information about the problem is essential (it helps the reader understand that a particular type of problem, not just any problem, was solved).

thank you for your post.
in "a problem that was...", the meaning is there are many problems, one of which is impossible to solve.
in "s problem , which was...", the meaning is there are many problem all of which are impossible to solve. and the mathmatic solve one problem.

I think that A+NOUN+COMMA WHICH should be considered carefully because on gmat, the phrase is normally wrong. this phrase means every entity in its group has a characteristic presented by which clause. if this phrase goes with "a noun+ that clause", the latter phrase is normally right.

the article "a" means a certain entity , or any entity , in the its group.

a dog, which barks, can be a good house keeper.
a dog that barks can be a good house keeper. but a dog that dose not bark can not.

the first sentence means anydog barks and we can omit "which barks". there is only one kind of dog

the second sentence means that there are 2 kinds of dog, some barking and other not barking. there are 2 kind of dog.

that clause means that there are more than 1 kind of entity . which clause means that there is only one kind.

apply the above knowledge to our problem,
choice c mean the manager solve one tense problem of the tense problemS. there are many tense problems and the manager solve one of them
choice b mean that there is one tense problem and other problems are not tense. the manager solve the tense problem not other problems.

this is the only reason to eliminate choice c.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 17:55
jamalabdullah100 wrote:
Can someone help out with my latest question please?
Quite cannot take that position in that structure. This is something that we'll have to remember.

a + quite + [adj] + [noun] ← This is not correct. We need to move that quite.

1. a quite tough question ← This is not correct.

2. a question that was/is quite tough ← This is fine.
3. quite a tough question ← This is fine.
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 18:00
EpilepticLearner wrote:
Wouldn't A be preferred for conciseness?
You're right, but you haven't used the word quite in those sentences.
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 20:23
experts, pls, explain why choice c is wrong?
pls, explain whether "a quite tense situation" is wrong ?

thank you very much.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 21:14
Bunuel wrote:
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of negligence when the crucial data went missing, the CEO defused a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.

A. a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
B. a situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
C. a situation, which was quite tense, by stating publicly that Smith was not responsible for the debacle
D. a quite tense situation with a public statement about the debacle not being Smith’s fault
E. a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault

SC36241.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

permit me to post more. I already require more experts to come in.
"a situation that was tense" is similar to "the tense situation". this means there is only one tense situation which is mentions previously. choice b mean
" the ceo defused THE tense situation". the tense problem is implies in the preceding clause. this is correct.

"a situation, which is tense" = "a tense situation of many tense problems". this mean there are many tense situations and I do not know any tense situation.
choice c,d and e mean
" the ceo defused one of many tense problems". this meaning is not logic.

so, I can conclude that
a problem that is tense= THE tense problem, not other tense problems
a problem, which is tense= a tense problem, of many tense problems

i am not confident. experts, pls, comment. this is official question from og 2020 and should be studies carefully.
CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 21:21
thangvietnam wrote:
experts, pls, explain why choice c is wrong?
pls, explain whether "a quite tense situation" is wrong ?

thank you very much.
You're right: "a quite tense situation" is not correct.

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 22:55
I choose option B. Because the rest are absurd or do not make sense. Many protest or text errors. Option B fits this a little bit. He was thinking about option C, but this is also not the case.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 10:19
@daagh,@empowergmatverbal,

Don't you think that a comma before by is not required In option B.

Option B- situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault

A comma before a preposition looks very odd, unless there is an another comma before by that separates the main action.
In option C- situation, which was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault. I understand that we are eliminating the essential modifier, but the comma before by works fine. The CEO handled the situation by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.
Now, in option B, i am really confused about the use of comma. Please help me in my understanding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 21:51
Lastly, B and C were remaining after eliminating others.
Chose C
But on reading the explanations, I understand that I neglected this concept that "which" makes the clause a non-essential modifier that is not correct.
We have to use THAT because it is essential.
B is correct.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

GMAT:[640 Q44, V34, IR4, AWA5]
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 12:32
dcummins wrote:
I was very much thrown off by the comma in (B). Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I also failed to detect the error with "with" in (A), but after reading a few responses i realise i'm using my ear too much here.

"she defused a situation... with her (public statement)" is different from "she defused a situation, by publicly stating"

Public statement = the means by which she defused; publicly stating is essentially how she did it - what we want.

Generally, I'd try to avoid using a comma as a decision point -- the GMAT really isn't that interested in testing you on the presence or absence of commas. (More on punctuation in this video.) And in this case, the comma is just setting off a modifier, and that's a fairly typical usage.

Prepositions such as "with" are flexible modifiers - they can describe nouns or actions, depending on context. For example, if I order a hamburger with cheese, I'm not using the cheese to order the burger, but rather, "with cheese" is offering additional information about the burger I've ordered. Put another way, "with" is modifying the noun "hamburger," rather than the verb "order."

But if I perform a task with great enthusiasm, "with great enthusiasm" describes how I'm performing the task, rather than the task itself. In this case, "with" is modifying an action.

The biggest problem with (D) is that it can be hard to see which scenario applies. "With" could be a noun modifier or a verb modifier.

Take another look: "the CEO defused a quite tense situation with a public statement." It really isn't clear whether "with a public statement" is functioning as verb modifier explaining how the CEO defused the situation, or functioning as a noun modifier describing the situation itself.

In other words, a "defused a quite tense situation with a public statement," could be one in which a disastrous public statement was the very situation the CEO defused, or it could be the case that the CEO defused a situation by issuing a public statement. The possibility of two interpretations makes (D) more confusing than (B), in which it's crystal-clear that the public statement was how the CEO defused the situation. Clarity beats ambiguity every time, so (B) is a better option.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2019, 14:06
Can someone please explain why a comma is needed in front of "by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault." Is it stil correct if the comma is removed?? Thank you!
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 00:56
Bunuel wrote:
Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of negligence when the crucial data went missing, the CEO defused a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault.

A. a situation that was quite tense with her public statement that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
B. a situation that was quite tense, by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault
C. a situation, which was quite tense, by stating publicly that Smith was not responsible for the debacle
D. a quite tense situation with a public statement about the debacle not being Smith’s fault
E. a quite tense situation by publicly stating the debacle not to have been Smith’s fault

alicebling wrote:
Can someone please explain why a comma is needed in front of "by publicly stating that the debacle was not Smith’s fault." Is it stil correct if the comma is removed?? Thank you!

Hi alicebling , GMATNinja answered your question here.

You may have missed the explanation. The question is on page 1 of this thread, here.; GMATNinja 's answer is on page 2.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2019, 19:57
Quote:
Mandy passed an exam that was quite difficult. --> OK
Mandy passed a quite difficult exam. --> WRONG

EMPOWERgmatVerbal,
Hello. I am not too sure on why later usage is incorrect. Is it because the meaning changes? Or it is something else.

Thank you in advance!

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 16:41
TheNightKing wrote:
Quote:
Mandy passed an exam that was quite difficult. --> OK
Mandy passed a quite difficult exam. --> WRONG

EMPOWERgmatVerbal,
Hello. I am not too sure on why later usage is incorrect. Is it because the meaning changes? Or it is something else.

Thank you in advance!

Hello TheNightKing!

Thank you for your question! For this type of sentence, it makes more sense to have the verb "passed" located directly next to the object (WHAT was passed). The fact that the exam was difficult is non-important information, so by adding it later as a prepositional phrase, it's clear that the exam needs to be the focus, and its difficulty is just added information.

In the actual sentence we're dealing with, the same thing applies - it's more important to put the focus on the situation being diffused, and not on how tense it was.

I hope this helps! Make sure to tag me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal with any more questions!

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2019, 17:05
Quote:
Hello TheNightKing!

Thank you for your question! For this type of sentence, it makes more sense to have the verb "passed" located directly next to the object (WHAT was passed). The fact that the exam was difficult is non-important information, so by adding it later as a prepositional phrase, it's clear that the exam needs to be the focus, and its difficulty is just added information.

In the actual sentence we're dealing with, the same thing applies - it's more important to put the focus on the situation being diffused, and not on how tense it was.

I hope this helps! Make sure to tag me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal with any more questions!

Thank you! That makes perfect sense.!

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2019, 17:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

Although some had accused Smith, the firm’s network manager, of neglig

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics