It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:20

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User
Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 23:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

53% (00:48) correct 47% (00:48) wrong based on 187 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample autonomy, it does mandate that all states have a republican form of government.
A. it does mandate that all states
B. it did mandate that all states should
C. it has mandated that all states
D. it mandates that all states will
E. it does mandate that all states must

Source: McGraw Hill GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 179

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.11
Reviews Badge
Re: Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 22:02
Because of the verb 'mandate' subjunctive for m should be used ,hence option A is correct

Today's actions are tomorrow's results

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 26

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.64
CAT Tests
Re: Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 09:40
Hi Verbal Expert,

Could you help clarify why A is right? I arrived at the right answer, but I want to ensure via the right reasoning.

b -> implies possibility when the meaning of the sentence dictates necessary
c -> verb tense
d -> verb tense
e -> this was the other option I was contemplating; must implies mandatory meaning which would be appropriate given the sentence meaning (allow freedom, but mandate republican form of government)

Thank you for helping me along my GMAT journey

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 26

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 117

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 16:26
gblessing wrote:
Hi Verbal Expert,

Could you help clarify why A is right? I arrived at the right answer, but I want to ensure via the right reasoning.

c -> verb tense
d -> verb tense
e -> this was the other option I was contemplating; must implies mandatory meaning which would be appropriate given the sentence meaning (allow freedom, but mandate republican form of government)

Thank you for helping me along my GMAT journey

I believe this is a redundancy issue. If I mandate you do something it means you are required to do it. If you must do something it also means you are required to do it.

Thus, if I mandate you that must do something, it is similar to saying, you are required to do that thing you are required to do.

That's how I looked at it...

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 117

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 185

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 01:56
Can someone please explain why A is right and D is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 185

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 313

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 02:37
Tango3 wrote:
Can someone please explain why A is right and D is wrong?

Going by the last split - do we require only "have" or "should/must/will have". Since, "mandate" require subjunctive, we require only "have" - this eliminates B, D and E. Between A and C - There is no special significance of perfect tense here, so select A.

gblessing wrote:
Hi Verbal Expert,

c -> verb tense
d -> verb tense

Not an expert here, but here's my opinion on your analysis. Except C, there are no verb tense errors here. "mandates" in D is fine.. [ I won't use the word "error" for the usage of perfect tense in C, just that its not required ]
B - "Should" do not imply possibility. The problem is with using "should" with "mandate" ["mandate that" is the key here..], and the same reasoning can be applied to the usage of "must" in E.

Cheers !!

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 313

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 222

GMAT 1: 580 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 580 Q43 V27

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 04:06
Why not B is the answer!
Same tense!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 222

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1263 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 13:49
Tense is actually not the issue here. We can say "did," but "does" works fine, since the Constitution has not changed in this regard. (It still mandates this.)

The problem with B is "should." We can mandate that something happen (this form is the command subjunctive), or we can say/indicate that something should happen, but we can't mandate that something should happen. It's one or the other.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1263 [0], given: 30

Re: Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 13:49

Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap