Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]
gblessing wrote:
Hi Verbal Expert,

Could you help clarify why A is right? I arrived at the right answer, but I want to ensure via the right reasoning.

b -> implies possibility when the meaning of the sentence dictates necessary
c -> verb tense
d -> verb tense
e -> this was the other option I was contemplating; must implies mandatory meaning which would be appropriate given the sentence meaning (allow freedom, but mandate republican form of government)

Thank you for helping me along my GMAT journey

I believe this is a redundancy issue. If I mandate you do something it means you are required to do it. If you must do something it also means you are required to do it.

Thus, if I mandate you that must do something, it is similar to saying, you are required to do that thing you are required to do.

That's how I looked at it...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Send PM
Re: Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]
Can someone please explain why A is right and D is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 317
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Although the Constitution was written to provide states with ample aut [#permalink]
Tango3 wrote:
Can someone please explain why A is right and D is wrong?

Going by the last split - do we require only "have" or "should/must/will have". Since, "mandate" require subjunctive, we require only "have" - this eliminates B, D and E. Between A and C - There is no special significance of perfect tense here, so select A.

gblessing wrote:
Hi Verbal Expert,

Could you help clarify why A is right? I arrived at the right answer, but I want to ensure via the right reasoning.

b -> implies possibility when the meaning of the sentence dictates necessary
c -> verb tense
d -> verb tense
e -> this was the other option I was contemplating; must implies mandatory meaning which would be appropriate given the sentence meaning (allow freedom, but mandate republican form of government)

Not an expert here, but here's my opinion on your analysis. Except C, there are no verb tense errors here. "mandates" in D is fine.. [ I won't use the word "error" for the usage of perfect tense in C, just that its not required ]
B - "Should" do not imply possibility. The problem is with using "should" with "mandate" ["mandate that" is the key here..], and the same reasoning can be applied to the usage of "must" in E.

Cheers !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 223
Send PM
Why not B is the answer!
Same tense!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM