GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 04:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (00:58) correct 68% (01:07) wrong based on 535 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago, has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate.

(A) to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago
(B) begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States
(C) begun for electing a woman as President of the United States 15 years ago
(D) at electing a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago
(E) that has begun 15 years ago to elect a woman as President of the United States

Spoiler: :: doubt&OE
OE says E has incorrect tense. GMATNinja Would you please explain what could have been the correct tense in E
OE:
This question has to do with word order. The attempt was begun fifteen years ago. Options A and D could imply that the United States was begun fifteen years ago. C has poor word order by splitting ‘begun’ and ‘fifteen years ago’. It also incorrectly uses ‘for electing’. E uses the wrong tense. Choice B is the correct answer.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Originally posted by TaN1213 on 17 Dec 2017, 06:26.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2018, 04:05, edited 5 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 13:47
TaN1213 wrote:
I, too, am having the same doubt, which is why I have requested GMATNinja, in spoiler section, to clarify it.

Expert,

Please confirm whether the following understanding about tense issue in E is correct-

'Has'- present perfect- is inconsistent with 'had' - past perfect.
Further, in such case, isn't simple past - that began- sufficient? Or the sentence needs the structure- that had begun ?
Thanks!

There are a whole bunch of issues in here, and some of them don't seem to appear on the actual GMAT very often! The usual friendly warnings apply here about non-official verbal questions: GMAC spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 developing each question, and even the very best test-prep companies can't quite compete with that.

I'm not sure if this is part of the issue, but for starters: "begun" in (B) isn't a verb at all -- it's actually an adjective. Consider these:

1. Burritos smothered in green chile make Charles happy. --> "smothered" sounds like a verb, but it's actually an adjective
    2. Burritos eaten with unbridled joy will not make you fat. --> "eaten" sounds like a verb, but it's also an adjective
    3. The project started by Amber in 1998 will be complete in 2019. --> "started" is also an adjective...
    4. The project begun by Amber in 1998 will be complete in 2019. --> ... and so is "begun" in this case

More on these "-ed" words in this crusty old article: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 40280.html

gmatexam439 is correct about the verb tense issues in (E). I'm not sure, but it sounds like part of the misconception might be that you're assuming that the word "had" automatically indicates the past perfect tense, and that's not quite right:

1. Domenico had a colonoscopy this morning. --> simple past tense
    2. Domenico has had monthly colonoscopies since 2007. --> present perfect tense, indicating an action that starts in the past and continues in the present (presumably, Domenico will continue having monthly colonoscopies)
    3. Domenico had had several colonoscopies before he decided that his rectum is exit-only. --> "had had" is past perfect tense, and must indicate an action that happens in the past, before some other action or "marker" in the past (in this case, "he decided" is the later action in the past, so this sentence is acceptable)

(For a long-winded hour on verb tenses, feel free to check out this webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxANHcxwbeM.)

In this particular sentence, "begun" is just an adjective in (B), so that's completely fine. For (E) to be correct, "has begun" would have to be changed to "began", since the action of STARTING the attempt happened exclusively in the past. It would be wrong to use the present perfect "has begun", because the action of STARTING the attempt is already completed.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 06:41
is it a comma issue ? or infinitive clues issue ?

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 06:43
Sager wrote:

Added the OE for you to refer. I believe it's more about placement issue.

Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 12:39
An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago, has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate.
(A) to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago -displaced modifier
(B) begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States -Correct
(C) begun for electing a woman as President of the United States 15 years ago - To elect is correct; "15 years ago" is too far from begun
(D) at electing a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago - "at electing" is wrong
(E) that has begun 15 years ago to elect a woman as President of the United States -Incorrect verb tense. "An attempt that began"is correct

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 21:27
gmatexam439 wrote:
(A) to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago -displaced modifier
(B) begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States -Correct
(C) begun for electing a woman as President of the United States 15 years ago - To elect is correct; "15 years ago" is too far from begun
(D) at electing a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago - "at electing" is wrong
(E) that has begun 15 years ago to elect a woman as President of the United States -Incorrect verb tense. "An attempt that began"is correct

Hey, Are you sure the correct tense in E would be began, because in such case, the tense all over the sentence (has had)would not be uniform?

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:06
TaN1213 wrote:
Sager wrote:

Hey Tan123,
I was convinced with B, until I saw option E. Can you elaborate that what is wrong with the tense use.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:09
Hi Expert,
What is wrong with the tense form in option E. I was convinced with B until I sawoption E.
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 22:21
sunny91 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
Sager wrote:

Hey Tan123,
I was convinced with B, until I saw option E. Can you elaborate that what is wrong with the tense use.

I, too, am having the same doubt, which is why I have requested GMATNinja, in spoiler section, to clarify it.

Expert,

Please confirm whether the following understanding about tense issue in E is correct-

Further, in such case, isn't simple past - that began- sufficient? Or the sentence needs the structure- that had begun ?
Thanks!

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 08:46
TaN1213 wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

Hey, Are you sure the correct tense in E would be began, because in such case, the tense all over the sentence (has had)would not be uniform?

Hi,

Let me try to answer your questions.

1. "Hey, Are you sure the correct tense in E would be began, because in such case, the tense all over the sentence (has had)would not be uniform?"
--Yes, it should be "began". We use present perfect tense to show the continuity of an even that started in the past. In the given sentence, the attempt is still not continuing to begin right now, it began in the past and its effects are still felt. So the event "beginning of attempt" should be represented with a simple past; thus "began" should be used instead of "has begun".

2. "Please confirm whether the following understanding about tense issue in E is correct-'Has'- present perfect- is inconsistent with 'had' - past perfect."
--Usage of "has had" is absolutely correct here. We need "had" to depict the completion of an event and "has" to show the impact of the attempt that is still visible i.e. no success.

I hope it was of some help !!
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 03:40
Further discussion :

Thanks GMATNinja for your detailed explanation.

Btw, I realized also that B and E have a different construction.

(B) begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States.
As GMATNinja explained, "begun" is not a verb, but an adjective.
Long version : An attempt, which was begun 15 years ago... Here we shortened the sentence become "An attempt begun..."

(E) that has begun 15 years ago to elect a woman as President of the United States
However in E, the tense is written in ACTIVE, so "An attempt that has begun".
Regardless of the wrong tense, does this sufficient to say that this is wrong?

Wdyt?

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 23:34
It was tricky because answer A seems right. Choice B is slightly better, since begun stands closer to attempt.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 06:17
Hi mikemcgarry

I have a question for choice B, comma before and after "to elect a woman as President of the United States" makes it non-essential.

so if we remove non-essential fluff, Choice B reads as "An attempt begun 15 years ago has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate." and looses its intended meaning.

do you think comma is wrongly placed before and after "to elect a woman as President of the United States"? can you please help

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 11:51
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

I have a question for choice B, comma before and after "to elect a woman as President of the United States" makes it non-essential.

so if we remove non-essential fluff, Choice B reads as "An attempt begun 15 years ago has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate." and looses its intended meaning.

do you think comma is wrongly placed before and after "to elect a woman as President of the United States"? can you please help

Thanks

Dear hellosanthosh2k2,

I'm happy to respond.

Normally, the MGMAT are excellent and very GMAT-like. This is overall a very good question, but one aspect in which is somewhat non-GMAT-like is that the underlined section in the prompt ends with a comma. I don't think the underlining in an official GMAT SC question ever ends with a piece of punctuation: if the GMAT wants to test the presence or absence of a piece of punctuation in a particular place, it extends the underlining to the following word, even if that word appears at the end of all five answer choices.

The fact that MGMAT departed from this convention here led to your confusion. Notice that a comma comes at the end of the underlining and at the end of choice (A), but NOT at the end of choice (B). Therefore, (B) is NOT followed by a comma. Again, it's understandable that you overlooked this detail, since the official GMAT would not put you in this position. Here's all of (B) in one place:

(B) An attempt begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate.

The part that you believed was between two commas is the infinitive phrase "to elect a woman as President of the United States"--this is the subject of the sentence!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: SMU '19 (A), LBS
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 08:48
TaN1213 wrote:
(A) to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago
(B) begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States
(C) begun for electing a woman as President of the United States 15 years ago
(D) at electing a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago

Spoiler: :: doubt&OE
OE says E has incorrect tense. GMATNinja Would you please explain what could have been the correct tense in E
OE:
This question has to do with word order. The attempt was begun fifteen years ago. Options A and D could imply that the United States was begun fifteen years ago. C has poor word order by splitting ‘begun’ and ‘fifteen years ago’. It also incorrectly uses ‘for electing’. E uses the wrong tense. Choice B is the correct answer.

Hiii, Can you post the official solution by MGMAT?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 08:55
rajatkataria14@gmail.com wrote:
Hiii, Can you post the official solution by MGMAT?

Hey rajatkataria14@gmail.com ,

Official MGMAT Solution:

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 01:32
GMATNinja wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:

Expert,

Thanks!

There are a whole bunch of issues in here, and some of them don't seem to appear on the actual GMAT very often! The usual friendly warnings apply here about non-official verbal questions: GMAC spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 developing each question, and even the very best test-prep companies can't quite compete with that.

I'm not sure if this is part of the issue, but for starters: "begun" in (B) isn't a verb at all -- it's actually an adjective. Consider these:

1. Burritos smothered in green chile make Charles happy. --> "smothered" sounds like a verb, but it's actually an adjective
    2. Burritos eaten with unbridled joy will not make you fat. --> "eaten" sounds like a verb, but it's also an adjective
    3. The project started by Amber in 1998 will be complete in 2019. --> "started" is also an adjective...
    4. The project begun by Amber in 1998 will be complete in 2019. --> ... and so is "begun" in this case

More on these "-ed" words in this crusty old article: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 40280.html

gmatexam439 is correct about the verb tense issues in (E). I'm not sure, but it sounds like part of the misconception might be that you're assuming that the word "had" automatically indicates the past perfect tense, and that's not quite right:

1. Domenico had a colonoscopy this morning. --> simple past tense
    2. Domenico has had monthly colonoscopies since 2007. --> present perfect tense, indicating an action that starts in the past and continues in the present (presumably, Domenico will continue having monthly colonoscopies)
    3. Domenico had had several colonoscopies before he decided that his rectum is exit-only. --> "had had" is past perfect tense, and must indicate an action that happens in the past, before some other action or "marker" in the past (in this case, "he decided" is the later action in the past, so this sentence is acceptable)

(For a long-winded hour on verb tenses, feel free to check out this webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxANHcxwbeM.)

In this particular sentence, "begun" is just an adjective in (B), so that's completely fine. For (E) to be correct, "has begun" would have to be changed to "began", since the action of STARTING the attempt happened exclusively in the past. It would be wrong to use the present perfect "has begun", because the action of STARTING the attempt is already completed.

I hope this helps!

I GMATNinja,
I eliminated option B because of the comma.
Shouldn't the structure be: ,begun 15 years ago, to elect a woman as President of the United States.
I felt the presented option seemed to distort the meaning.
Or is the option correct as is ?
Kindly share your opinion on the above concerns.
Thanks
Teja
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 02:08
Hey guys!

Could anyone explain why 'begun 15 years ago' in the first choice is not an appositive?

(A) An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago, has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate.
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 06:09
yhdiwujw wrote:
Hey guys!

Could anyone explain why 'begun 15 years ago' in the first choice is not an appositive?

(A) An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun 15 years ago, has had no success despite the willingness of the Democratic Party to back a female candidate.

This post above directly answers your question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/an-attempt-t ... l#p2031639

United states did not begin 15 years ago. it was the attempt that began. Hope it is clear.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 06:09

An attempt to elect a woman as President of the United States, begun

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap