GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask Sia Admissions

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 20
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.94
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 14:53
PROFILE EVALUATION

Basics
Male, 24, White (Ukrainian, Jewish Immigrant —> American Citizen)

Undergrad
Hunter College (Macaulay Honors Program) in City University of New York (CUNY)
Major: Computer Science, Minor: Political Science
GPA: 3.94, GRE: V - 168, Q - 170, AW - 5.5

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience
- Software Engineer at Bloomberg for 3 years (full-time)
- Adjunct Lecturer of CS at Hunter College (part-time in evenings after Bloomberg)
- iOS Developer Intern at Foursquare (full-time summer internship)

Extracurriculars
- hackNY Fellow 2015 and Mentor 2016 & 2017 (Social good + tech organization)
- Moot Court Team Co-founder at Hunter College

Miscellaneous
- Stanford Summer Session Student (GPA: 4.0)
- Technology-based research in (1) Geography lab and (2) Computer Vision/Robotics lab
- Tech projects including MORPG game (college Capstone), un-“filter bubbled” news app (Facebook Journalism Project winner)

Recommenders
- Team Lead at Bloomberg (MBA & MS)
- Assistant Professor of CS at USF (MBA & MS)
- CS Chair at Hunter College (MS only)

Post MBA/MS Goals (Note: I am applying to MBA and MS in CS dual or joint degree programs)
- Globalizing volunteerism across disciplines through a design-thinking, civic-tech based startup
- CTO or Team Lead at self-founded or early stage startup, or Google X

Schools
- Stanford (MBA/MS)
- Harvard (MBA/MS)
- Carnegie Mellon (MBA/MS)
- UChicago (MBA/MS)
- Cornell Tech (MBA)
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:12
Hi simonayzman,

Thank you for your post, and for sharing your profile. You have an excellent profile with some incredible achievements. Warranted, you are targetting fitting programs. What will be challenging, which is always the case with dual programs, is applying to and being admitted into two programs, MBA and MS. Not undoable, of course, especially with a profile like yours, but it will require a strategic approach to both applications for each school. I would recommend you take the necessary time to flesh out your professional goals, why an MBA/MS, and why now, as that is instrumental to the success of your candidacy. You have accomplished so much thus far, so be sure to spend the remaining time, between now and the application deadlines, laying out your career plans.

I hope you are considering applying to the Knight-Hennessy scholars program at Stanford, whose application is due September 18th! If so, you must apply to R1 at Stanford.

I welcome the opportunity to continue the conversation. If interested, please reach out to coordinate a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

simonayzman wrote:
PROFILE EVALUATION

Basics
Male, 24, White (Ukrainian, Jewish Immigrant —> American Citizen)

Undergrad
Hunter College (Macaulay Honors Program) in City University of New York (CUNY)
Major: Computer Science, Minor: Political Science
GPA: 3.94, GRE: V - 168, Q - 170, AW - 5.5

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience
- Software Engineer at Bloomberg for 3 years (full-time)
- Adjunct Lecturer of CS at Hunter College (part-time in evenings after Bloomberg)
- iOS Developer Intern at Foursquare (full-time summer internship)

Extracurriculars
- hackNY Fellow 2015 and Mentor 2016 & 2017 (Social good + tech organization)
- Moot Court Team Co-founder at Hunter College

Miscellaneous
- Stanford Summer Session Student (GPA: 4.0)
- Technology-based research in (1) Geography lab and (2) Computer Vision/Robotics lab
- Tech projects including MORPG game (college Capstone), un-“filter bubbled” news app (Facebook Journalism Project winner)

Recommenders
- Team Lead at Bloomberg (MBA & MS)
- Assistant Professor of CS at USF (MBA & MS)
- CS Chair at Hunter College (MS only)

Post MBA/MS Goals (Note: I am applying to MBA and MS in CS dual or joint degree programs)
- Globalizing volunteerism across disciplines through a design-thinking, civic-tech based startup
- CTO or Team Lead at self-founded or early stage startup, or Google X

Schools
- Stanford (MBA/MS)
- Harvard (MBA/MS)
- Carnegie Mellon (MBA/MS)
- UChicago (MBA/MS)
- Cornell Tech (MBA)

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jun 2018
Posts: 20
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.94
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 11:59
Thanks for the reply! I’m in the process of writing essays and fleshing out some of those ideas.

And yes! I’m applying to the Knight-Hennessy. An amazing opportunity.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 12:34
Great! Reach out if we can be of assistance.

simonayzman wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I’m in the process of writing essays and fleshing out some of those ideas.

And yes! I’m applying to the Knight-Hennessy. An amazing opportunity.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 12:46
Hi. I have 15 years of education. I want to apply for Masters in Managment in Canada. Most canadian universities and B-Schools accept only 16 years of edcuation. Will it help if i do a 1 year post graduate diploma or a any other post graduate program and then apply for MS? Will it become equivalent to 16 years of education. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 19:40
Hi Natashaprabhu97,

Thank you for your post. Have you reached out to target schools to confirm your eligibility as it pertains to your academic background? Standards vary from institution to institution. I would require more information to provide an adequate assessment. If you feel more comfortable sharing your information in private, please email us at infoSiaAdmissions so we can guide you further.

Good luck!

Natashaprabhu97 wrote:
Hi. I have 15 years of education. I want to apply for Masters in Managment in Canada. Most canadian universities and B-Schools accept only 16 years of edcuation. Will it help if i do a 1 year post graduate diploma or a any other post graduate program and then apply for MS? Will it become equivalent to 16 years of education. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Location: India
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 04:24
Hi, I am an Indian national lawyer working with an Indian law firm. I have been working for 2 years now, and my practice area has been predominantly venture capital. I graduated from a national law university in the year 2016. I am currently preparing for GMAT. What are my chances to get into a good B-school programme? Would a MIM (Masters in Management) course be a better fit for me?
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 07:42
Hi garima5,

Thank you for reaching out. I am happy to evaluate your profile; however, with such limited information, it's impossible for me to do so. Which university did you graduate from? What's your overall CGPA? Tell me about your job. Have you been promoted? Do you have leadership experience? Have you been involved in community outreach/extracurricular, while in school or post graduation? Why do you require an MBA? Why now? What is your post-MBA objective? What geographic region do you plan on being employed in post graduation? These are only some of the questions whose answers I require to guide you.

If you would like to have a live conversation (call), please reach out to schedule a free consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!


garima5 wrote:
Hi, I am an Indian national lawyer working with an Indian law firm. I have been working for 2 years now, and my practice area has been predominantly venture capital. I graduated from a national law university in the year 2016. I am currently preparing for GMAT. What are my chances to get into a good B-school programme? Would a MIM (Masters in Management) course be a better fit for me?

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 16:19
SiaAdmissions

Hello

I have a question regarding Wharton application. I took GMAT this year (which I would like to be considered as my score). I also have an old GRE score (from 4 years ago but still valid), which is low as I didn't prepare for it at all, and which I can not cancel

Wharton asks a question if I have taken GRE, it is obligatory question and if I say Yes, I must submit my scores. What if I don't want to submit my GRE results? Can I just answer No?

What is best to do in this situation? (My GMAT is a bit lower than average, I am already addressing this... Having a super low GRE on my application in addition to GMAT won't exactly be helpful)

Thank you
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 10:13
Hi kiki10,

Honesty is the best policy. I would answer the question truthfully, that you have taken the GRE. They will also see the great improvement between a 4-year old score and an improved GMAT score. It will be viewed as you being persistent and working towards improving your profile.

Good luck!


kiki10 wrote:
SiaAdmissions

Hello

I have a question regarding Wharton application. I took GMAT this year (which I would like to be considered as my score). I also have an old GRE score (from 4 years ago but still valid), which is low as I didn't prepare for it at all, and which I can not cancel

Wharton asks a question if I have taken GRE, it is obligatory question and if I say Yes, I must submit my scores. What if I don't want to submit my GRE results? Can I just answer No?

What is best to do in this situation? (My GMAT is a bit lower than average, I am already addressing this... Having a super low GRE on my application in addition to GMAT won't exactly be helpful)

Thank you

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Aug 2018
Posts: 11
Location: India
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 06:26
Profile Evaluation Request:

Hello, First of all thank you for your help.

Some context about my profile:

-26 Years Old (Female)
-Indian
-Undergrad in law (Bachelor of Arts and Law BA LLB)
-GPA 3.7/5 (of the top University of my country).
- Worked as a venture capital lawyer for the past 2 years with a top law firm in India
-GMAT 670 Q47 V35
- Won a prestigious international moot court competition
- Extra curricular include singing and quizzing (have won multiple competitions at university and school level)

I was hoping to get into a top business school for the 2019 intake: (Mfin or related)
-Duke Fuqua
-Indiana Kelley
-Indian School of Business ISB
-National University of Singapore NUS

Alternatively, I also intend to apply to HEC for the Masters in Management Program.

Do I have any chance to get into any of these programs with my current profile?

I would appreciate any suggestion or comment.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 16:12
Hi garima5,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. You do have an interesting profile that I would like to learn more about. Quantitatively speaking, you are on the cusp of the average accepted student for most of these schools. What you will require to stand out is having a strong story and a well-defined reason for pursuing a graduate degree. I am happy to talk through your plans, should you wish. If so, please click here to begin the conversation.

Good luck!

garima5 wrote:
Profile Evaluation Request:

Hello, First of all thank you for your help.

Some context about my profile:

-26 Years Old (Female)
-Indian
-Undergrad in law (Bachelor of Arts and Law BA LLB)
-GPA 3.7/5 (of the top University of my country).
- Worked as a venture capital lawyer for the past 2 years with a top law firm in India
-GMAT 670 Q47 V35
- Won a prestigious international moot court competition
- Extra curricular include singing and quizzing (have won multiple competitions at university and school level)

I was hoping to get into a top business school for the 2019 intake: (Mfin or related)
-Duke Fuqua
-Indiana Kelley
-Indian School of Business ISB
-National University of Singapore NUS

Alternatively, I also intend to apply to HEC for the Masters in Management Program.

Do I have any chance to get into any of these programs with my current profile?

I would appreciate any suggestion or comment.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2018
Posts: 7
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 12:55
Hi all,

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on my profile for Wharton, LBS and INSEAD

- Age 22 at matriculation, Mauritian
- GMAT 740
- ACCA and CFA qualified. Completed ACCA at the age of 18 and CFA program at 21. However, no GPA given I did not attend any university. Wharton, LBS and INSEAD confirmed that my ACCA qualification will be equivalent to an undergrad degree.
- Spent 2 years and 4 months at Ernst and Young in the Corporate Finance Department with 2 promotions.
- Currently a Private Equity Analyst at the biggest bank in Mauritius - will have about 1 year of experience in PE at matriculation
- Post MBA goal is to work in PE
- Volunteer - Currently a volunteer at the round table association helping the homeless people and a mentor for the CFA research challenge to university student
- Member of the toastmasters club and regularly practice kickboxing
- Speak and write both French and English

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 09:45
hi niclam2203,

Thank you for your post and sharing your profile. I would really like to learn more about your profile, especially your work in PE and the contributions you've made to the firm. As a next step, i would focus on telling your story, making sure you have a top-notch resume, and strong recommendation letters. If you are targetting Wharton, LBS, and INSEAD, prepare a compelling argument as to why you are targetting those schools and why you are a good fit. I am assuming you are applying in R1 2019 for 2020 intake (which I highly recommend as seats for PE are very limited), so use this time diligently to get to know each institution.


I am happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please click hereto coordinate a call.


Good luck!


niclam2203 wrote:
Hi all,

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on my profile for Wharton, LBS and INSEAD

- Age 22 at matriculation, Mauritian
- GMAT 740
- ACCA and CFA qualified. Completed ACCA at the age of 18 and CFA program at 21. However, no GPA given I did not attend any university. Wharton, LBS and INSEAD confirmed that my ACCA qualification will be equivalent to an undergrad degree.
- Spent 2 years and 4 months at Ernst and Young in the Corporate Finance Department with 2 promotions.
- Currently a Private Equity Analyst at the biggest bank in Mauritius - will have about 1 year of experience in PE at matriculation
- Post MBA goal is to work in PE
- Volunteer - Currently a volunteer at the round table association helping the homeless people and a mentor for the CFA research challenge to university student
- Member of the toastmasters club and regularly practice kickboxing
- Speak and write both French and English

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Aug 2016
Posts: 2
CAT Tests
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 09:17
Hi, it would be great if you could spare a few minutes to evaluate my profile.

Age: 26
GMAT: 740 (Q50, V40)
Undergrad: Civil Engg, IIT
GPA: 7.1/10 (There is no direct conversion offered on a 4 point grade scale)
Professional experience: 5 years at matriculation
Working as a Sr. Product Manager at a large Indian diversified financial services company since the past 1 year.
Worked as a core team member leading Product Management & Analytics at a fintech startup for 2.5 years.
Worked as a Product Analyst (recruited from campus) for 1 year at a Tech Startup which was acquired by Amazon.
Good extracurriculars
Been engaged with 2 different NGOs teaching underprivileged kids for the last 1.5 years.

Post-MBA goals: Strategy consulting or Product Management

Thanks in Advance!
Sia Admissions Representative
User avatar
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Joined: 04 Jan 2018
Posts: 423
Location: United States (NY)
Re: Ask Sia Admissions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 11:18
Hi simonayzman,

Thank you for sharing your profile. You seem to have very interesting experiences and background. Your GRE is strong, as well as your GPA. While Hunter is one of the better CUNY schools, it is a lower-tier university from your target. You have to take school ranking into account when you evaluate academics as well, but your awards will help your case.

As to the rest of the information, it makes it difficult to evaluate a bullet point list. I require more color to evaluate your professional experiences. MBA programs look not only for technical experience but also leadership experience. Can you speak to that? As to your post-MBA//MS goals, they might require further development. When I worked for a hedge fund, analysts, in particular, loved to communicate (verbally and in written form) short-hand and with bullets - it's all about saving time :) Unfortunately, when applying to these top-tier programs you will not only require to write long-hand, but also be introspective. I recommend you take some time now (before application portals open) to really flesh out your goals and go in the application season with a clearly articulated pitch of your story and goals. I hope this helps.

If you would like to continue the conversation and give more color to your background, I welcome a conversation. If interested, please fill this form (link) to coordinate a call.

Good luck!



simonayzman wrote:
PROFILE EVALUATION

Basics
Male, 24, White (Ukrainian, Jewish Immigrant —> American Citizen)

Undergrad
Hunter College (Macaulay Honors Program) in City University of New York (CUNY)
Major: Computer Science, Minor: Political Science
GPA: 3.94, GRE: V - 168, Q - 170, AW - 5.5

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience
- Software Engineer at Bloomberg for 3 years (full-time)
- Adjunct Lecturer of CS at Hunter College (part-time in evenings after Bloomberg)
- iOS Developer Intern at Foursquare (full-time summer internship)

Extracurriculars
- hackNY Fellow 2015 and Mentor 2016 & 2017 (Social good + tech organization)
- Moot Court Team Co-founder at Hunter College

Miscellaneous
- Stanford Summer Session Student (GPA: 4.0)
- Technology-based research in (1) Geography lab and (2) Computer Vision/Robotics lab
- Tech projects including MORPG game (college Capstone), un-“filter bubbled” news app (Facebook Journalism Project winner)

Recommenders
- Team Lead at Bloomberg (MBA & MS)
- Assistant Professor of CS at USF (MBA & MS)
- CS Chair at Hunter College (MS only)

Post MBA/MS Goals (Note: I am applying to MBA and MS in CS dual or joint degree programs)
- Globalizing volunteerism across disciplines through a design-thinking, civic-tech based startup
- CTO or Team Lead at self-founded or early stage startup, or Google X

Schools
- Stanford (MBA/MS)
- Harvard (MBA/MS)
- Carnegie Mellon (MBA/MS)
- UChicago (MBA/MS)
- Cornell Tech (MBA)

_________________

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996
website: http://www.SiaAdmissions.com

Contact us for a free consultation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask Sia Admissions   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 11:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Sia Admissions

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: SiaAdmissions



cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.