Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [340]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [73]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [42]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [15]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
RaviChandra wrote:
150. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.
(A) where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are
(B) where they have 49 percent of the household incomes
(C) where 49 percent of the household incomes are
(D) which has 49 percent of the household incomes
(E) in which 49 percent of them have household incomes

Please Explain ur answers.

I think the answer is C.

Use each answer in the sentence and see if it makes sense.

A. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level. -- The issue here is the "them". Who is "them"? It has no clear antecedent.

B. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where they have 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level. -- Again, the "they" doesn't have a really clear antecedent. The noun before "they" is "community", which is singular - it doesn't really work. In addition, saying that they "HAVE 49% of THE household incomes below the poverty level" makes it sound like this community has 49% of all household incomes below the poverty level... in their state. Or the world. Or the universe.

C. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where 49 percent of the household incomes are below the poverty level. -- This makes sense. In this community, 49% of the households report an income below the poverty level.

D. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community which has 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level. -- Again, stating that the community "HAS 49% of the THE household incomes" makes it sound like the community is being compared to a larger group, out of which it has 49% of household incomes below the poverty level... as opposed to simply indicating that within the community, this statistic is true.

E. At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community in which 49 percent of them have household incomes below the poverty level. -- This one almost makes good sense, but again, to whom does that "them" refer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [12]
Given Kudos: 240
Send PM
Re: At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school bas [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

(A) where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are --> No clear antecedent for "them"
(B) where they have 49 percent of the household incomes --> same issue. What is "they" referring to?
(C) where 49 percent of the household incomes are --> Correct answer. Community+where or location+where

This is the community where rich people live.
This is the society where I live.

(D) which has 49 percent of the household incomes --> incorrect. Plug in the answer -

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls’ high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community which has 49 percent of the household incomes below the poverty level.

Implies that community has household incomes below poverty level. Community doesn't have household incomes below the poverty level.It's the residents who have incomes below poverty level. A quick fix of this would be - community + in which.

(E) in which 49 percent of them have household incomes --> this fixes the problem (in which),but has "them".No antecedent for them.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [2]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
AM I the only one that is willing to know whether income is uncountable? :)
I know a plural form "incomes" exist, but income is income :)
In addition to this: community - A group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common (OXFORD DICTIONARY)
Google:
com·mu·ni·ty /kəˈmyo͞onədē/
noun
a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.

Because of this, as per GMAT rules, WHERE cannot be used in this context.

Since the source is not specified, I believe it was not created by GMAC's nor by any other reputable gmat prep companies. Thus, this question is not good for practice :)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [3]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mvictor
Quote:
Because of this, as per GMAT rules, WHERE cannot be used in this context.

Unfortunately, GMAT is very fickle.

Check this problem

Quote:
Many population studies have linked a high-salt diet to high rates of hypertension and shown that in societies where they consume little salt, their blood pressure typically does not rise with age.

(A) shown that in societies where they consume little salt, their

(B) shown that in societies that have consumed little salt, their

(C) shown that in societies where little salt is consumed,

(D) they showed that in societies where little salt is consumed,

(E) they showed that in societies where they consume little salt, their

LINK
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

I have a doubt whether percentage is singular or plural? please clarify .That was the only reason i have eliminated this option.

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where 49 percent of the household incomes are/is :hurt: below the poverty level
Please clarify.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [4]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
SonGoku wrote:
Quote:
At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where the household incomes of 49 percent of them are below the poverty level.

I have a doubt whether percentage is singular or plural? please clarify .That was the only reason i have eliminated this option.

At Shiprock, New Mexico, a perennially powerful girls??? high school basketball team has become a path to college for some and a source of pride for a community where 49 percent of the household incomes are/is :hurt: below the poverty level
Please clarify.

SonGoku

Q: Please tell me which verb is correct in this sentence: “Ninety percent of the team is/are men.” The plural “are” sounds correct, but “team” is singular.

A: “Ninety percent of the team are men.” Here’s why.

Percent” is used with both singular and plural verbs. It usually takes a plural verb when followed by “of” plus a plural noun, and takes a singular verb when followed by “of” plus a singular noun.

Example: “Sixty percent of the cookies were eaten, but only twenty percent of the milk was drunk.”

With original sentence, the question is whether the noun “team” should be treated as singular or plural. This isn’t a black-and-white question!

“Team” is a collective noun: a singular noun that stands for a number of people or things that form a group.

A collective noun takes either a singular or a plural verb, depending on whether you’re talking about the group as a unit (singular) or the individuals (plural).

In this case, the tip-off that we’re talking about individuals is the word “men,” a plural noun.

So we’re talking here about the players who make up the team, not the group as a single unit. This calls for a plural verb: “Ninety percent of the team are men.”

A similar case can be made for the noun “band.” Like “team,” it’s a singular collective noun. But we would say, “Fifty percent of the band are vocalists.”

The singular verb “is” would be dissonant here because the plural “vocalists” indicates that we’re talking about the members of the band, not the group as a whole.

On the other hand, if we’re talking about the group as a single unit, we use a singular verb: “The team [or band] is playing in Pittsburgh.”

Hope this helps!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 476
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.77
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I am still confused about why which has not been taken and why where has been chosen
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMATNinja

I have been under the impression that 'where' doesn't go with metaphorical locations such as company, relationship, and 'in which' is preferred.

Eg: I worked with a company, in which 49% of employees are

Slightly confused. Request enlightment :please

GMATNinja wrote:
abhishekpasricha wrote:
I am still confused about why which has not been taken and why where has been chosen

Deciding between (C) and (D) is not simply a matter of "which" vs "where". There are other issues with (D), as described in this post and this post.

Here's a counter-example to illustrate the problem with (D):

"In New Mexico, one million households have incomes below the poverty level. The community of Shiprock has 49% of those households." - The community has households, not household incomes.

Back to the official question: the community itself does not HAVE household incomes; instead, the community has households -- and those households have household incomes. Also, the community does not HAVE 49% of some larger group of households with incomes below the poverty level.

(C) avoids these issues and conveys the correct meaning: 49% OF the household incomes in Shiprock are below the poverty level.

I hope this helps!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB'22 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Can someone clearly explain usage of which v/s where ?
In GMAT, where can refer only physical places. How do we know if community refers to a caste or a neighborhood ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [9]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos