It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 881 [1], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:12) correct 28% (01:11) wrong based on 352 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.

Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument above?

A. Different time periods during a given day are no more likely to have higher sales figures than other time periods.
B. The tracking technology will be convenient and inexpensive to both install and operate.
C. All salespeople have different periods of the day in which their sales volume are the highest.
D. There are no factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job.
E. There are no seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson’s productivity.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 881 [1], given: 53

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 02:43
A is the correct answer.Performances of salespeople may lag depending on the time period for example after lunch when they feel sleepy.So this criteria has to be taken into account.The salesmen are equally active during different times of the day.Their inactivity should not be affected by the time period of the day.This factor should be considered.So this is the correct condition.Please feel free to give kudos.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 04:44
[quote="nguyendinhtuong"]Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.

A. Different time periods during a given day are no more likely to have higher sales figures than other time periods.
B. The tracking technology will be convenient and inexpensive to both install and operate.
C. All salespeople have different periods of the day in which their sales volume are the highest.
D. There are no factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job:I[color=#ffff00]f there are some/many factors other than sales volume that impact, we don't care. We only care about how they are being evaluated currently.Eliminate[/color]
E. There are no seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson’s productivity:If there are some/many seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson's productivity, then it is not possible to find out how effective he/she is using his/her sales numbers.Looks good

ABC can be easily eliminated. Tough to choose between D &E. Answer E

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 05:35
I went with D. The argument says that the system can track everything but if there are outside factors that impact a salesperson, the system cannot track the outside factors and the data is not 100%. Thus, the most effective salesperson cannot be identified.

I ruled out A because the argument says that the system can analyze sales data to determine the best salesperson per time period - management can break down each time period to see who is the most effective in each specific time period.

I ruled out E because if there are cyclical sales trends, the system can identify this to find the most effective salesperson for a specific cycle.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests
Re: Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 07:15
What is OA.I guess answer is D. Because the argument states that with the knowledge of how much sales done by a associate in a time period, one can estimate his/her effectiveness at work.
It means it assumes giving higher sales means highly efficient.
Where as option A is concerned with the fact that at different time periods sales figures are varying. This is not concerned with the effectiveness of salespersons
Correct me if I am wrong..
Please provide OA

Sent from my HM NOTE 1S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 578

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 08:36
I went with D as well because the assumption is that the new technology is also able to track the outside factors as well. If it is not, then the company will not know which salesperson is the best.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 578

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 22:10
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.

D. There are no factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job.
E. There are no seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson’s productivity.

we need to link some how effectiveness with sales volume or defend only sales reflect effectiveness.
Now
A- so what ,if it is high also during some time period, there is no where mention that sales person are coming in different shifts..so every one have equal opportunity to exploit the time.
B-out of scope
C- they will be best performer in respective time period .it is not hampering conclusion
D- yes , we need to consider this ...if some other factor governs the sales then total calculation for effectiveness will be futile--- this is kind of defender assumption.
E-So what , it will effect all the employees--so out...

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 46

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 05:46
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.(CONCLUSION)

So according to the business owner there is no other parameter/s to track the effectiveness of their employees.

D it is.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 267

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 16:49
A sounds good, but it is actually wrong because in A, LESS OR EQUALY likely to have higher sales figures still happens.

Director
Director
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 16:50
Also, D is a very common in GMAT, test takers should know this.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 19:31
effectiveness is a subjective term here, so if there is no other factor to account for effectiveness other than sales volume, our conclusion is more sound.

-Please give me KUDOS, if my posts help you in anyway.
-Please PM me any doubts which you might have, and I will do my level best to help. :)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Re: Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 19:31

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap