GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 00:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:15) correct 28% (01:12) wrong based on 834 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.

Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument above?

A. Different time periods during a given day are no more likely to have higher sales figures than other time periods.
B. The tracking technology will be convenient and inexpensive to both install and operate.
C. All salespeople have different periods of the day in which their sales volume are the highest.
D. There are no factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job.
E. There are no seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson’s productivity.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Manager
Manager
G
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 02:43
A is the correct answer.Performances of salespeople may lag depending on the time period for example after lunch when they feel sleepy.So this criteria has to be taken into account.The salesmen are equally active during different times of the day.Their inactivity should not be affected by the time period of the day.This factor should be considered.So this is the correct condition.Please feel free to give kudos.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 04:44
[quote="nguyendinhtuong"]Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.

A. Different time periods during a given day are no more likely to have higher sales figures than other time periods.
B. The tracking technology will be convenient and inexpensive to both install and operate.
C. All salespeople have different periods of the day in which their sales volume are the highest.
D. There are no factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job:I[color=#ffff00]f there are some/many factors other than sales volume that impact, we don't care. We only care about how they are being evaluated currently.Eliminate[/color]
E. There are no seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson’s productivity:If there are some/many seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson's productivity, then it is not possible to find out how effective he/she is using his/her sales numbers.Looks good

ABC can be easily eliminated. Tough to choose between D &E. Answer E
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 05:35
I went with D. The argument says that the system can track everything but if there are outside factors that impact a salesperson, the system cannot track the outside factors and the data is not 100%. Thus, the most effective salesperson cannot be identified.

I ruled out A because the argument says that the system can analyze sales data to determine the best salesperson per time period - management can break down each time period to see who is the most effective in each specific time period.

I ruled out E because if there are cyclical sales trends, the system can identify this to find the most effective salesperson for a specific cycle.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

...once and a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 07:15
What is OA.I guess answer is D. Because the argument states that with the knowledge of how much sales done by a associate in a time period, one can estimate his/her effectiveness at work.
It means it assumes giving higher sales means highly efficient.
Where as option A is concerned with the fact that at different time periods sales figures are varying. This is not concerned with the effectiveness of salespersons
Correct me if I am wrong..
Please provide OA

Sent from my HM NOTE 1S using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 08:36
I went with D as well because the assumption is that the new technology is also able to track the outside factors as well. If it is not, then the company will not know which salesperson is the best.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
Schools: Rotman '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 22:10
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.

D. There are no factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job.
E. There are no seasonal variations in sales cycles that can affect a salesperson’s productivity.

we need to link some how effectiveness with sales volume or defend only sales reflect effectiveness.
Now
A- so what ,if it is high also during some time period, there is no where mention that sales person are coming in different shifts..so every one have equal opportunity to exploit the time.
B-out of scope
C- they will be best performer in respective time period .it is not hampering conclusion
D- yes , we need to consider this ...if some other factor governs the sales then total calculation for effectiveness will be futile--- this is kind of defender assumption.
E-So what , it will effect all the employees--so out...
Director
Director
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 05:46
Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything that happens at our store, from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales made within each hour. Because we can now track which associates sell the highest volume within each time period, we will now know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.(CONCLUSION)

So according to the business owner there is no other parameter/s to track the effectiveness of their employees.

D it is.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 16:49
A sounds good, but it is actually wrong because in A, LESS OR EQUALY likely to have higher sales figures still happens.
SVP
SVP
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 16:50
Also, D is a very common in GMAT, test takers should know this.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 19:31
effectiveness is a subjective term here, so if there is no other factor to account for effectiveness other than sales volume, our conclusion is more sound.

-Please give me KUDOS, if my posts help you in anyway.
-Please PM me any doubts which you might have, and I will do my level best to help. :)

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 18:55
There is a problem on (D)

In premise, they say that the new technology allow us to track "every thing from delivery arrival times to the volume of sales"
So they can evaluate their employee.

Therefore, "No factors" in (d) is too much to be an assumption.

(There are "no" factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job.)

Experts please help.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 02:18
broall wrote:

We can apply the Supporter/ Defender Assumption Model because it is easy to figure out the blank in the question:
Premise: The new technology can track the highest volume with each time period
Conclusion: The company will know which of our salespeople are most effective at their jobs.
=> Information on HIGHEST VOLUME each time period can come to conclude about the EFFECTIVENESS at their job.
=> The assumption will be fill the blank that articulate two pieces of information (D) is correct.
A. While it could be true in real life, but it doesn't have to be true in this case. Negating the answer, the conclusion is still possible if no factors other than sale volume cannot affect the effectiveness. Also, the conclusion is to assert the effectiveness at their jobs, not in a certain days, a certain time period.
E. If even there are seasonal variation in sales cycles, it can happen to every sales's productivity. What involves in the evaluation of salesman's effectiveness
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 22:40
chesstitans wrote:
A sounds good, but it is actually wrong because in A, LESS OR EQUALY likely to have higher sales figures still happens.

chesstitans, VeritasPrepKarishma,

Please explain that how do u rule out A. The technology tracks everything, but if there are different sales at different periods, productivity of one salesman will be different from that of others. Nowhere, in the premise it's mentioned that the technology can compute to optimize the different sales figure. The technology tracks
everything. So, with this concept in mind, the owners could reach the conclusion that since sales are same through out the day, they can evaluate sales person's productivity.
SVP
SVP
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 23:12
sunny91 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

chesstitans, VeritasPrepKarishma,

Please explain that how do u rule out A. The technology tracks everything, but if there are different sales at different periods, productivity of one salesman will be different from that of others. Nowhere, in the premise it's mentioned that the technology can compute to optimize the different sales figure. The technology tracks
everything. So, with this concept in mind, the owners could reach the conclusion that since sales are same through out the day, they can evaluate sales person's productivity.

For CR questions, you should sense anything wrong with an option in few seconds. In other words, you should have reasons to eliminate one option.
"Different time periods during a given day are no more likely to have higher sales figures than other time periods."
there are many problems with A:
One issue is A compares " time periods during a given day" with "other time periods".
Secondly, A does not directly and closedly connect with the argument, premise and the conclusion.
Third, "more likely " indicates the probability which seems irrelevant to the argument.
Also, I feel something is not right with "Different time periods during a given day".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 10:27
broall wrote:

Hi chetan2u,

Can you help me in this.

I eliminated D because its mentioned as "her". This is Gender Specific and the Conclusion says nothing about Gender.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 19:20
rahul16singh28 wrote:
broall wrote:

Hi chetan2u,

Can you help me in this.

I eliminated D because its mentioned as "her". This is Gender Specific and the Conclusion says nothing about Gender.

Rahul, generally you would not face a situation like this in actual.
But the reasoning is correct only in D. The gender specific is not an issue here.
It talks of salesperson only and not saleswoman

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 05:11
broall wrote:

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

D. Look at the gap in logic between the premise and conclusion in this argument. The premise is that the technology will track who had the "highest sales volume" and the conclusion is about who is "most effective at their job". While the two can certainly be correlated, they're not the exact same thing, so the argument isn't airtight. Only answer choice D deals with that particular gap, and if you negate D using the Assumption Negation Technique, you get:

There are factors other than sales volume that impact how effective a salesperson is at her job.

This directly undermines the conclusion, proving that choice D is a necessary piece of information in order for the premises to guarantee the conclusion. Choice D is correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything   [#permalink] 23 May 2018, 05:11

Business Owner: This new technology will allow us to track everything

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap