It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Students at Berkeley-Haas Find Support for Women MBAs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 09:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Students at Berkeley-Haas Find Support for Women MBAs
As women lean into leadership and management roles, the Full-time Berkeley MBA Program is proud to be a part of the growth and development of influential women across many fields.

And we are always developing new ways to support women MBAs, with programs and resources such as:

The Berkeley-Haas Gender Equity Initiative (GEI), a student-organized initiative focused on increasing the number of women MBAs in the full-time program. Launched by students in the class of 2015, the GEI shook things up in many ways, increasing the number of female speakers on campus, encouraging male students to take part in supporting women in business, and contributing to significant growth in the number of women in the program.

Women in Leadership Conference, the oldest and largest student-organized conference at Berkeley-Haas. With a mission to empower and celebrate female leaders, WiL unites over 500 students and professionals on campus for a full-day of speakers, workshops, and networking opportunities. Conference attendees learn about the professional and personal experiences of high-profile female execs, as well as tackle practical skills, like how to negotiate salary or build a personal brand.

Far-reaching teaching and research findings. 
The full-time MBA program is home to some of most innovative women in business, with prominent female faculty members, such as Kellie McElhaney, whose research makes the business case for gender diversity in the workplace, Laura Kray, who shines a light on successful negotiation tactics, and Jennifer Chatman, who has shown a positive correlation between “PC” behavior in the workplace--and creativity in that workplace. These faculty make a difference through teaching as well, for example, helping a Colombian multinational build an inclusive and sustainable culture.

First-hand interaction with leading women in business.
One of the best ways to learn from women in business is to hear from women in business. And that's why Haas hosts distinguished women from many fields through the Dean’s Speaker Series, where students hear and learn from such female leaders as Deborah Hopkins, CEO of Citi Ventures, and Rosalind Brewer, CEO and President of Sam's Club. Students also hear from alumnae at commencement and at orientation, where featured speakers have included Citibank, N.A., CEO Barbara Desoer and Indiegogo Co-Founder Danae Ringelmann. 

Of course, school culture also plays a role in determining the best MBA fit for women, and our female students often name our Defining Principles, such as Confidence Without Attitude and Students Always, among the top reasons they chose Berkeley-Haas and why they thrive here.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 14:52
R2!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.73
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 18:41
R1. Great year to apply. New building and increasing class size up to 15%. http://poetsandquants.com/2015/05/22/ha ... ize-by-15/

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 21:03
Quick question: The application asks for your second highest GMAT score... Do we have to enter a second score if we took the GMAT more than once (as I assume others would as well, I would prefer to only include my highest score)? Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Leadership as Destiny for Executive MBA Student in Nonprofit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 10:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Leadership as Destiny for Executive MBA Student in Nonprofit

The daughter of Guatemalan immigrants who grew up in San Francisco’s Mission District, Cristy Johnston-Limón has always figured out how to navigate life’s challenges—as a teenager turning away from gangs, as a young urban neighborhood activist, as a first-generation college student at UC Berkeley, and now as a student in the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program.

She is also executive director of Oakland's Destiny Arts Center. And for this MBA, nonprofit is paramount; her objective in pursuing her MBA is to gain the business skills required to ensure the center's future in an environment increasingly focused on nonprofit ROI.

In her role, Cristy works to create new opportunities for kids in a city impacted by high drop-out rates and violence. Over the last five years, she has more than doubled the number of children served by boosting Destiny Arts’ operating budget from $800,000 to $3 million. More than 4,000 students—ranging from age three to 24—now choose from 800 classes annually in everything from hip hop to kung fu and karate.

But when Cristy was hired at Destiny Arts in 2011, the nonprofit was facing eviction from its shared space at a local charter school, and its board was reluctant to take on the crushing loan payments that might come with a new building.

Cristy began scouting for possible sites even before her first official day on the job, touring more than 50 and deciding upon the one she wanted for Destiny Arts.

EMBA student Cristy Johnston Limón with her staff at Destiny Arts Center

It was a tough sell, but working with board member David Riemer, Cristy met repeatedly with the the board, listened to what they had to say and calmly countered every argument against the building plan. “We kept laying brick after brick after brick,” until the skeptics got the reassurance they needed, says David, an Executive-in-Residence at Berkeley-Haas. “Cristy is a leader with an incredible combination of confidence, ambition, passion, and vision.”

Despite her leadership strengths, she admits to having had a few nerves when she began study in the Berkeley EMBA program last year, worried, in particular, that she might not have the quantitative skills required to keep up.

She soon came to realize that the diversity of student backgrounds and skillsets enriches the Berkeley EMBA experience. “We all bring something different to the table, and I've come to know my classmates as truly extraordinary individuals," she says. "I have never experienced this level of authenticity with such an accomplished group of people.”

Read the full story on Cristy Johnson Limón atHaas Now, and meet some of the extraordinary people in the Berkeley executive MBA program by checking out our student profiles. 

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 21:50
mj800 wrote:
Quick question: The application asks for your second highest GMAT score... Do we have to enter a second score if we took the GMAT more than once (as I assume others would as well, I would prefer to only include my highest score)? Thanks!

From my understanding if you had a score report sent to the school you should go ahead and report it because they'll have whatever score reports you sent to them on record so if they have both scores and you only mention the one it looks bad. If you only reported the one then I don't believe technically you have any reason to mention that other score.

There is the obvious question of if you're hiding something but given the amount of applicants that cancel their scores I don't think it would be wrong to just mention the top score unless as mentioned they have both score reports from GMAC.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Work-Life Balance at the Intersection of Parenthood & a Part-time MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 11:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Work-Life Balance at the Intersection of Parenthood & a Part-time MBA
“Sometimes you hear that people who don't have children aren’t understanding, but at Haas, I felt like it was the exact opposite…”

Starting the Berkeley Evening & Weekend MBA, Celia Carter was already a working parent, enrolling in a business program that would fit with her existing family routines and work schedule. Then in her second semester, Celia and her wife Sierra were selected to adopt a new baby – and he was on his way early! Their growing family embraced the opportunity, and despite time and location challenges, Celia worked with professors and peers at Haas to manage her workload through the end of the semester.

Everybody understands: we’re all in the position of juggling work-life balance,” Celia says. “There’s a deep understanding of pitching in, and I think people are especially sensitive to those who have kids.” Whether its an unexpected event or a simple schedule change, when Celia needs to prioritize her family, she is grateful to find professors and classmates willing to shift and adapt to support each other.

With a new baby on the way and her wife enrolled in graduate school, Sierra remembers the uncertainty of that time and was relieved by the support. “I was stressed for her about what would happen with her classes, but everything worked out in the end with a little extra work for Celia.”

Getting started at Haas, Celia chose weekend courses, so she could be at home with her family on weeknights. “Evenings are the time when we’re together and do bedtime routines. That was something that I carved out and said, ‘Okay, I need to be available,’” Celia says. Still, it took some adjusting to let go of favorite weekend routines, like her son’s soccer games and her beloved Cal football.

“I always tell people that the biggest thing is to find a schedule that works for you.”
For Sierra, as a wife and co-parent with a graduate student, the school adjustment was a shift, although not a jarring as anticipated. She continued taking the day-to-day lead with parenting their young sons while Celia was in classes or traveling for work. They made a conscious effort to be smart about how they used free time and travel. “It was harder to find those moments to connect,” says Sierra. “But despite that, I would say we did well with planning and enjoying times when we could all be together more.”

Her family settled into new rhythms, and Celia continued to craft each semester’s schedule to be best fit their evolving schedules and needs. “I always tell people that the biggest thing is to find a schedule that works for you,” Celia says.

Celia’s commitments also extend to the campus community. “As a woman of color, it was important to me that the school be focused on and improving diversity,” Celia says. This was a key element in her selecting an MBA program. From her experience as an undergraduate at UC Berkeley, she was encouraged by the existing commitment to diversity and inclusion on campus.

“As a woman of color, it was important to me that the school be focused on and improving diversity.”
In addition, Celia was further assured when the business school newly appointed a Director of Diversity to implement programs and initiatives to expand diversity, equity, and inclusion at Berkeley-Haas. The scope of the position includes everything from considering the demographics of the students and faculty to reviewing the textbooks and case studies that they use.

Once enrolled, Celia was quickly involved on campus. A recipient of the Dean’s Fellowship, she was Vice President of Diversity for the Evening & Weekend MBA Association in her first year. In that role, she led several initiatives, including a weekend-long diversity workshop that explored issues with current students and alumni.  Today, she continues advocating for increased diversity at Haas.

While in school, Celia has continued working in healthcare technology at Genentech. She recently took on a more advanced position, thanks in part to her MBA experience. With skills honed in her coursework, Celia was an ideal candidate for a position that connected her passions for emerging technologies and innovative entrepreneurship. “I had all these related case studies happening at Haas, as I was interviewing for the job at Genentech,” Celia says. “It was nice to have fresh examples from real companies.”

In Haas tradition, Celia walked at graduation with her two young children at her side in May 2016. Her extended family, who are especially proud of her advanced degree, were in the stadium cheering for her. For Celia, completing her second degree at UC Berkeley leaves her feeling fulfilled and nostalgic. She is already thinking about how to continue her involvement on campus.

“Now that I'm graduating, I'm really interested in doing good for the greater society,” Celia says. “I want to put my free time into more social change opportunities.”

“Now that I'm graduating, I'm really interested in doing good for the greater society.”

In addition to staying involved with campus diversity, Celia looks forward to enjoying more time with her family, as well as time for those favorite Saturday sports. “When I entered the part-time MBA program, I was exploring my options… Today, I’m happy with where I’m at and continuing to advance in my career.”

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

All For One: Berkeley-Haas Students Build MBA Diversity [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 13:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: All For One: Berkeley-Haas Students Build MBA Diversity

If you look around at the mix of students, speakers, faculty, and events on campus, you'll quickly see that every program is devoted to fostering MBA diversity at Berkeley-Haas.

Whether that means bringing students together from different professional and personal backgrounds, or inviting speakers who are experts in a variety of fields, Berkeley-Haas believes in the value of diverse minds and skills—and the endless possibilities they create when brought together. Here, diversity is more than a buzzword—"it is truly built into the school's DNA" says full-time MBA student Raphael Chines.

Students are an integral and active part of MBA diversity. From the student-run Gender Equity Initiative, to the Freshmen to Alumni outreach program, to the LGBT club, Q@Haas, there is a wealth of resources. One of the most notable campus events is the annual Diversity Symposium. Prospective students and current students are hosted on campus for a day of panels, discussions, and workshops that honor the school's remarkable student and alumni diversity.

And the best way to learn about the Diversity Symposium, and diversity in general, is from Berkeley-Haas students themselves:

Raphael recalls attending the Diversity Symposium, and how it influenced his own perception of diversity at Haas and beyond.

"We heard what diversity means to members of the administration, faculty, and student body, and why it is critical to the success of any organization, and a student panel of LGBT students and allies revealed how Haas' welcoming environment creates a space for students to safely take risks and learn from one another. I walked away from the day with not only an appreciation for how Haas treats diversity, but also a deeper understanding of the importance of diversity generally."

Sera Lee, a student in the Evening & Weekend Berkeley MBA Program, found the Diversity Symposium to deliver an empowering message: "The Diversity Symposium made me want to attend Haas, a school that truly embodies its defining principles. Dean Rich Lyon stressed that one of Haas' main goals is…to challenge students to become drivers of change. It's about moving away from thinking, 'they do that' to 'I can do that.'"

Candice Knoll of the part-time evening and weekend MBA program felt inspired by and connected to Symposium speakers. "I remember hearing a Latina woman discuss the small number of Latina women in upper management, and even in business school, and I was motivated and inspired by that. Sometime during her speech, my mindset shifted from 'I don't belong here' to 'I don't care how or when, but I am going here.'"

While the Diversity Symposium is a pivotal event, fostering MBA diversity at Berkeley-Haas happens in many other ways, through its inclusive culture, eclectic class offerings, and its well-rounded student body. EWMBA student Bill Collins recalls attending the school's Women in Leadership Conference. "I was impressed by the richness of content, the variety of perspectives offered, the quality of speakers, and most of all the passion from the attendees," he says.

Says Berkeley executive MBA student Cristy Johnston Limón, "Diversity shows up in the EMBA program largely through our cohort. Because we hail from such different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and nationalities, we each bring such a broad and diverse perspective in the classroom."

"I never feel like an outsider," says evening and weekend MBA student Anthony Barrs. "Maybe it’s the 'Confidence Without Attitude' and 'Students Always' Defining Principles, but Haas feels open, humble, and approachable…People genuinely want to share and connect with others."

Adds Anthony, "This allows me to experience lots of diverse people and perspectives…and vice versa. And this is true up-and-down the ladder: from Dean Lyons, to the faculty, to the program office, to the students."

You can learn more about Berkeley MBA diversity, and even be part of the conversation by joining us at the Diversity Symposium on October 15.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Going All in At Full-time MBA Orientation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 08:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Going All in At Full-time MBA Orientation
Full-time MBA Week Zero is a no-holds-barred introduction to life at Haas. Part MBA-essentials boot camp, part immersion into Haas academic and student culture, and part bonding experience, the week is fast-paced, intense, and sometimes wacky.

Week Zero is organized by 2nd-year student leaders who—working closely with the program office and specialists throughout Haas—are able to pass on insights from their first year. This year's orientation was structured around the four Haas Defining Principles, with a different theme each day: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself.  

It's a culture that many incoming students already relate to. A recent admissions survey found that the school's culture and defining principles are the No. 1 reason full-time MBA students choose Haas. 

“While the students at Haas are diverse on many fronts, I find that all of them share a concern for positively impacting others,” said Nahry Tak, who is returning to Berkeley after earning her bachelor’s in art history here and then working at the Trust for Public Land.

In addition to guest speakers, social mixers, and nuts-and-bolts orientation sessions, the week's activities included: 

• A session with the Haas Career Management Group that covered not only how to make the most of career services, but how to find sources of fulfillment
  • An introduction to the Teams@Haas curriculum, which is woven throughout the curriculum and gives students a toolkit to lead teams
  • An afternoon of sprucing up the grounds at the Alameda Point Collaborative, which services homeless and at-risk families
  • The Cohort Olympics, where students compete in traditional games like volleyball and soccer (inside giant inflated bubbles), as well some less traditional contests (like partner-assisted cake eating)
  • A diversity panel, where 2nd-year students talked about building an inclusive culture at Haas. Students shared perspectives on being from a "third culture" (growing up in an immigrant family, but identifying as American), growing up gay in Texas, using a wheelchair, and other aspects of their identities.
The week ended with a mixer with students in the evening & weekend MBA program

“This program does an unbelievable job focusing on a student development from a personal and professional perspective,” said Reggie Davis, MBA 18. “You can go to any top business school to find a good job, but you come to Haas to find yourself and what drives you. Also, the students that I’ve met are the most talented, bright and self-aware people that I have ever come across.”

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 07:52
Hello fellow applicants,

Is there a way to preview the entire application before submitting it?

Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Schools: Haas '19

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 21:58
Prawn wrote:
Hello fellow applicants,

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, you can see all the fields once you've submitted but not before then. I applied to the EWMBA program in 2013 (applying rd 1 to full time now) and it was the same interface. I could print off a copy for my records, however.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 02:43
bicyclebaron wrote:
Prawn wrote:
Hello fellow applicants,

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, you can see all the fields once you've submitted but not before then. I applied to the EWMBA program in 2013 (applying rd 1 to full time now) and it was the same interface. I could print off a copy for my records, however.

Thanks! I think the print copy seems to be the only way to view it in one page.

Best of luck for your application :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 16:59
Prawn wrote:
Hello fellow applicants,

Thanks!

Under "Application Checklist and Submission" you can "Print Application" to see the application in its entirety.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 05:38
I'm in for R1!

It's been very quiet on the Haas board. Who else is in for R1?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 09:35
Putting some finishing touch for my R1 application. Let's do this!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 10:18
alphabeta4 wrote:
I'm in for R1!

It's been very quiet on the Haas board. Who else is in for R1?

I've submitted my app yesterday

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.71

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 15:43
Just doing the finishing touches today and tomorrow! Looking forward to getting it in and starting on the other applications!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 18:58
Now its my turn to be neurotic.

I've cut and pasted my meticulously edited essays (MS Word says each is slightly under max word count) into the system, and I'm finding that they are all registering as slightly exceeding the word count. This is because the system seems to count :, -, and ' as indicators of new words even when they are used to indicate a time, a properly hyphenated word, or possessives.

Should I worry about exceeding word count and find more words to cut? Or will Haas recognize the technical limitations of their system and provide some leeway?

The Print Application review doesn't show a word count for those text boxes. This is the only program I'm applying to that uses the word "maximum" with their essays so I'm taking it more seriously than usual.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 21:17
wildfire578 wrote:

I've cut and pasted my meticulously edited essays (MS Word says each is slightly under max word count) into the system, and I'm finding that they are all registering as slightly exceeding the word count. This is because the system seems to count :, -, and ' as indicators of new words even when they are used to indicate a time, a properly hyphenated word, or possessives.

Should I worry about exceeding word count and find more words to cut? Or will Haas recognize the technical limitations of their system and provide some leeway?

The Print Application review doesn't show a word count for those text boxes. This is the only program I'm applying to that uses the word "maximum" with their essays so I'm taking it more seriously than usual.

Given that I'm prone to over-think things like this I would see if you could edit a bit to get it under. That said the reality of the situation is generally the word counts are a rough guideline for how long it should be rather than giving a black and white instruction as if you were in middle school. So I think if you can't seem to find a way to edit it without losing something of value then don't worry too much the content > word limit 9 out of 10 times.

Please help me find my lost Kudo's bird

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
wildfire578 wrote:

Per one of the Chats they held this week: Sandra_Berkeley: Hello LeQ12017, we are aware that our word counter is slight different than
Microsoft Office. It is acceptable for an essay to be a few words over the limit.
However, if an essay goes substantially over the word limit it could be detrimental
to your application

Transcript can be found here: http://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... i=34714926

In a later chat they also mentioned that identification of the prompt for Essay 2 doesn't count towards your word count if you're just copy pasting the prompt at the top (not part of your essay).

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 6

Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!!   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2016, 21:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  25    Next  [ 484 posts ] 

Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap