GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Jan 2020, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 08:32
Legend127 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just came across this blog and I found this pretty helpful! I wanted to take advantage of this forum and ask something about the recommendation letter. I have two parts to this question:

1. Does it matter if I waive or not waive the right to see the recommendation letter? Wouldn't I always want to see what my managers wrote about me before they send it?
2. Is the recommendation letter free form? or do my managers get a guideline on the structure of the letter from the application system?

I appreciate it!

My recommendation is to waive your right to see the recommendation letter, because it showcases your confidence on what your recomenders have to say about you.
The recommendation letter is in some cases free form, in others based on questions, and in yet some others, in a Q&A style, depending on the school. While I don't remember specifically for Anderson, it will probably say in their webpage the questions recomenders should focus on while writing their letters.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 10:52
D2d13 wrote:
Legend127 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just came across this blog and I found this pretty helpful! I wanted to take advantage of this forum and ask something about the recommendation letter. I have two parts to this question:

1. Does it matter if I waive or not waive the right to see the recommendation letter? Wouldn't I always want to see what my managers wrote about me before they send it?
2. Is the recommendation letter free form? or do my managers get a guideline on the structure of the letter from the application system?

I appreciate it!

My recommendation is to waive your right to see the recommendation letter, because it showcases your confidence on what your recomenders have to say about you.
The recommendation letter is in some cases free form, in others based on questions, and in yet some others, in a Q&A style, depending on the school. While I don't remember specifically for Anderson, it will probably say in their webpage the questions recomenders should focus on while writing their letters.

Sorry, your answer doesn't answer his question.

1. Waive the right to read. It doesn't mean you get to review the letter before they submit. It simply means you can't view the letter afterwards, which is something you can request (I believe) once you enroll in the school. It does NOT give you any type of advantage. If you want to review your letter before you recommender sends it, that's up to you and them to agree upon. If you're concerned about what they will write, then you should re-think using them as a rec. If you subscribe to Essaysnark's blog (which I highly recommend), this post sums it up for you:
http://essaysnark.com/2015/01/if-youre- ... your-recs/

2. The recs for UCLA are asked specific questions to weigh upon you. There are 3 that Anderson asks, and they are semi-standardized among most top b-schools (with caveats and differences). In fact the the whole process is summarized well on Anderson's FAQ:
www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/mba-progr ... quirements

Good luck!

things that got me through app season: essaysnark, touchmba and a bottle of hibiki 17
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2016, 11:02
souvilibra wrote:
Rather than being anxious about what's in your recommendation letter, I would suggest to sit with your evaluator and discuss in detail, get a thorough feedback and provide your own suggestions which would be helpful to admission committee.
It is tough to motivate your evaluators to go out of the way and write great letters since everyone keeps busy. But the best step is to provide some context/scenarios/situations where you demonstrated skills that are related to management studies.

Excellent advice. What I did was draw up an 6-page 'packet' for both of my recommenders that outlined:
1. Schools applying for (with links to their admissions pages)
2. Letter format guidelines based on EACH school's format.
3. Submission systems for letters (detailing online process, the fact that my app wouldn't be complete until they finish,e tc)
4. Deadlines for EACH school
5. My Story (in the context of my ST/LT goals, how they related to what my manager had seen of me, etc)
6. Why Now? (explaining why I want the MBA specifically at this point)
7. The QUESTIONS
7.a. The standardized question, and how I would frame it from their point of view (i.e. just giving them good examples of my experience under them they could talk about)
7.b. Any supplemental questions for each school
8. Further info (basically saying THANK YOU THANK YOU)

While this seems a lot, it made the lives of my recommenders immensely easier because I walked them through the process, gave them the content I felt was strongest for me, but did not 'write' it for them or direct them how to do it - in fact both of them came up with more examples past what I had thought up which were better from their frame of reference.

Following this, one recommender gave me his letter to review for grammar and content (non-native English speaker), but I told him I didn't feel the need to review, while the other chose to keep it private but assured me it was great. I had good relationships with both, and I made sure to start early and not to push them incessantly. It worked out well for me in the end.

things that got me through app season: essaysnark, touchmba and a bottle of hibiki 17
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 2.8
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 21:59
Are the interview invites still rolling out? Did anyone receive the invite in the last 2 days?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 14:25
Just got the acceptance call!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.21

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 14:41
myh1989 wrote:

Wow, Congrats! Did you apply R2? Are they calling all admitted candidates?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 14:46
fmbraga wrote:
myh1989 wrote:

Yep, applied R2, timeline below:

Submitted: 1/5
Invited for interview: 1/8
Interviewed: 1/25
Accepted: 2/24

I am pretty sure they call all admitted students, but they might do it in waves/rolling. Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 20:44
myh1989 wrote:

Congrats!
That was quick.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 21:02
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Measuring People The Right Way: The 2016 T-Mobile Tech & People Strategy Case Competition
Over the past few months, I have been helping my classmates Daniel Yokomizo '16, Chase Gharrity '16, Britney Sussman '16, and Lauren Yang '17 organize the 2016 T-Mobile Case Tech and People Strategy Case Competition. The planning and organization of this case competition was a team effort through and through- it was co-sponsored by Anderson's HTBA (High Tech Business Assocation), MCA (Management Consulting Association), and SOMA (Strategy and Operations Management Association). It was also facilitated by the Human Resources Round table (HARRT) at UCLA, which is a network of human resources executives from some of the top companies in Southern California. HARRT at UCLA played a significant role in helping connect T-Mobile with Anderson. 

This was the first human capital case competition held at Anderson- our goal was to bring human capital topics to the general Anderson student population, and emphasize how linked human resources is to overall business strategy. I'll be interning at Hewlett Packard Enterprise this summer within HR, hopefully focusing on workforce planning, and the case competition was a great way for me to share my enthusiasm and passion for human capital. The best part of the day was not only seeing teams collaborate, compete, and genuinely enjoy spending time with each other, but also listening to all the fresh new perspectives and ideas that were generated from their presentations. 

The case prompt revolved around quantifying metrics around T-Mobile's quality of hire to ensure that it had the proper workforce, talent pool, and skills inventory to deliver the products and innovations that its customers had come to expect from the "Uncarrier". 13 teams and over 55 students ultimately participated in the competition, with a wide variety of participants coming from both the full-time and fully-employed (FEMBA) programs.

Our very own Class of 2017 team of Zoe Cai, Lizeth Chiprez, Lucia Ehimika, Ahmar Reza, and Lucerna Huayanay (pictured to the left with T-Mobile judges) took home 1st place with their creative idea for "MOJO" metrics relating to an employee's cultural fit, alignment to business objectives, and overall performance. They got a nice little check of $2,500, first-round interviews for summer internships, and an invitation to join HARRT at their Day of Learning, where they'll get to present their ideas in front of an audience of senior HR executives. 

One thing I would want to emphasize is the tremendous support we've gotten from our own student body to make this happen- all the Anderson club leaders as well as the Parker Career Management Center happily distributed our fliers and spread the word about signups, and several of our classmates volunteered with logistics, social media, etc. on the day of the event. We also have tremendous 2nd years within human capital / HR- they've really led the way in terms of turning something that was a pipe dream into a reality. It has made want to pay it forward next year as an ACT coach, given how much they have helped me every step along the way here at Anderson.

I do have one regret from the event- not competing with a team of my own. The quality of presentations was extremely high, and sitting there listening to them definitely got my competitive juices flowing! If you're reading and passionate about human capital and winning, I'm looking for teammates for the 2017 T-Mobile Case Competition!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Anderson '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 02:41
myh1989 wrote:

Congrats! Welcome :-D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 06:59
myh1989 wrote:
fmbraga wrote:
myh1989 wrote:

Yep, applied R2, timeline below:

Submitted: 1/5
Invited for interview: 1/8
Interviewed: 1/25
Accepted: 2/24

I am pretty sure they call all admitted students, but they might do it in waves/rolling. Good luck everyone!

Do they provide scholarship details also?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 10:55
myh1989 wrote:

Congratulations!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 11:08
myh1989 wrote:

Congrats!!! I guess they are not sticking to the 3/29 date! Hope to see you in the fall!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 11:35
BeatlesFan wrote:

So they didn't mention it on the call and I didn't see anything in my online application. Does anyone know if it could come later? Or it just means I didn't get any money?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stern '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 14:12
myh1989 wrote:
BeatlesFan wrote:

So they didn't mention it on the call and I didn't see anything in my online application. Does anyone know if it could come later? Or it just means I didn't get any money?

They mentioned scholarship info on my acceptance call for R1. BUT they also didn't make any early acceptance calls for R1 so it's possible things will be different (i.e. maybe they're waiting until the decision release day to see how the rest of the R2 acceptances shake out).

Congratulations! Maybe we'll see each other in the fall!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2016, 17:33
mrm37612 wrote:
myh1989 wrote:
BeatlesFan wrote:

They mentioned scholarship info on my acceptance call for R1. BUT they also didn't make any early acceptance calls for R1 so it's possible things will be different (i.e. maybe they're waiting until the decision release day to see how the rest of the R2 acceptances shake out).

Congratulations! Maybe we'll see each other in the fall!

I had my interview over Skype on 26-Jan, still haven't heard anything. Anybody aware when decisions are released?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2016, 00:44
Hi everyone, I am a member of the VP of Marketing for the Anderson Ambassador Corps, and I am working with a group of students on a project. We would love to get your input. If you have a few minutes, please take this survey, http://ucla.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7QhVIxjDBBnehNz. It is completely anonymous, and would help us out a ton. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 21:14
An admissions director mentioned in a blog post that a majority of the interview invites would be sent through the end of Feb. From the posts on this thread, it seems like almost no one has received an invite in the past month. Has *anyone* received an invite in Feb or during the past 2 weeks?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2016, 21:33
GoinClubbin wrote:
An admissions director mentioned in a blog post that a majority of the interview invites would be sent through the end of Feb. From the posts on this thread, it seems like almost no one has received an invite in the past month. Has *anyone* received an invite in Feb or during the past 2 weeks?

I received an interview invite on Feb 2.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 06:12
Received the call from Admission.

In with scholarship! so excited!

Good luck, guys!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2016, 06:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  36    Next  [ 710 posts ] 

Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mpriestly