Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma [#permalink]
Bookmarks
sivasanjeev wrote:
Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults is possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.

A. Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults
B. Children's tendency to be more susceptible than is the case with adults to bronchitis and asthma is
C. Children tend toward being more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults, which is
D. Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than are adults, are so
E. Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma

Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma is possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.

Correct answer must be (E) for the highlighted errors in other options...

RichaChampion wrote:
I think that the question is not underlined correctly. Can someone please correct the question and underline it correctly.

Done that, Thanks for pointing out...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33
Send PM
Re: Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma [#permalink]
E. Children tend to be more susceptible than adults [tend to be] to bronchitis and asthma

A beautiful post from E-Gmat on verb omission https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sen ... -sentences
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma [#permalink]
LeoGT wrote:
in the test, there is a comma at the end of the answer E.

Exactly, is the comma at the end of E correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
daagh wrote:
E cannot be the choice per se, because a subject cannot have two verbs. There are two verbs in E namely -- tend and is -- Is there any problem in transcription and underlining? The verb –is - should be part of the underlining I suppose. : is part of underlying portion only

A. Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults is ---Wrong comparison- comparing children’s tendency with adults

B. Children's tendency to be more susceptible than is the case with adults to bronchitis and asthma is ---- wrong comparison; we are comparing Tendency with a status, namely how the tendency is with adults

C. Children tend toward being more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults, which is--- ‘which’ touch rule foul

D. Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than are adults, are so --- The expression –Children, who tend to be— may restrict the meaning to only those who tend to be so and not to the entire children

E. Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma --- precise and correct choice.

A ,B Wrong comparison
C Which is wrongly used
D , are so no meaningful

E is as explained always a better choice and coincise
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
sivasanjeev wrote:
Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults is possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.

(A) Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults is

(B) Children's tendency to be more susceptible than is the case with adults to bronchitis and asthma is

(C) Children tend toward being more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults, which is

(D) Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than are adults, are so

(E) Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma,

Attachment:
0124.jpg

comparison on gmat is never easy. it makes us trouble.
the point is the comparison must be between the logic things. we need a logic comparison. one way to find logic comparison is parallelism. parallelism helps us find the compared elements and check whether compared elements are logically compared.

but we do not need perfect parallelism to make comparison logic. some official answer on og or gmatprep contain no perfect comparison but as long as the elements compared are logic , the sentence is fine.

so, the main point is that using parallelism to find the 2 elements compared. the main point is not that we find a parallelism. our purpose is to find the element compared grammatically and check weather they are logically compared logically.

using parallelism to find grammatical role of each compared element. each compared element must have the same grammatical role in its clause. if grammatical roles are different , we find a mistake.

look at choice A.

look for parallelism and grammatical roles of "children's " and "adult". they are not parallel and grammatical role of "adult" and "children's" are different. we find a mistake

children's tendency should be compared with adults's tendency, not adults

choice A is gone.

choice B should be " as is the case with adults' tendency"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hi,

Request the experts to help me understand if the comma at the end of the answer choice E is correct?

If that is so my analysis says that I am joining two sentences using "Possibly" - will that be correct?

Thanks in advance!
Shubham
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShubhamRastogi wrote:
Request the experts to help me understand if the comma at the end of the answer choice E is correct?

If that is so my analysis says that I am joining two sentences using "Possibly" - will that be correct?

Hi ShubhamRastogi, two sentences are not being joined by possibly.

The construct is:

i) Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma- Independent clause

ii) because children retain 35 percent more....: Dependent clause, acting as an adverbial clause (adverbial, since this clause answers the question why? - Why do children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis & asthma)

The word possibly is again an adverb, just modifying the above adverbial clause (adverbs can modify adverbs as well:)).

You can watch our video on Independent and Dependent Clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Independent and Dependent Clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
need help to understand parallel structure in comparison

X more susceptible than Y

X: children (noun) tend ( verb)

Y: adults ( if i assume verb is implied, it will be ' than adults tend to be to P&Q''
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Y: adults ( if i assume verb is implied, it will be ' than adults tend to be to P&Q''

Yep! This is what it is!

Following two clauses are being compared:

- Children tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma

- Adults tend to be less susceptible to bronchitis and asthma

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your understanding of the parallel structure in Option E is, indeed, correct.

Kudos.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:

Do you understand that all three of these comparison sentences are correctly written?:
I read more than my brother does.
I usually read more than my brother does.
I tend to read more than my brother does.

The easiest way to process "tend to VERB" is to treat it like "usually VERB", because you can substitute one of those two for the other in general.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
Send PM
In the B option is - is the case refer to tendency here?
What is the reason for B option to be wrong?
Send PM
Expert Reply
nikitathegreat wrote:
In the B option is - is the case refer to tendency here?
What is the reason for B option to be wrong?

Hello nikitathegreat,

To answer your query, Option B is incorrect because it incorrectly compares "tendency" to "is the case"; remember, a comparison can only be made between similar things.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi ,

shouldn't there be "do" also there in option E. Like

Children tend to be more susceptible than adults do to bronchitis and asthma,

Will it change the meaning or impact the sentence any way?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma [#permalink]
Expert Reply
EtaCarnia wrote:

"adults do to bronchitis and asthma" doesn't look like a great construct; nevertheless let's wait for other responses on this.

In any case, it is important that you get comfortable with this construct because GMAT uses it extensively in comparison sentences.

Another similar example:

Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.
- Again, notice that "are" (...than fungi are..) is implied.
Send PM
Expert Reply
EtaCarnia wrote:
Hi ,

Hello EtaCarnia,

To answer your query, when a comparison is drawn between actions, repeated verbs can be omitted for the sake of conciceness, without replacing them with stand-ins such as "do" or "are".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts