It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 6

Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 11:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:27) correct 23% (01:22) wrong based on 152 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but only 12 Classics majors.This three-to-one student-to-professor ratio is the lowest in the college.Since the college is facing financial difficulties, and since the tution fees from just 12 students is not sufficient to pay the salaries of 4 full-time professors, the college should cancel the classics program to reduce expenses.

Which, of the following , if true most weakens the conclusion above?

a) professors in the classics department teach popular language and literature classes that are attended by hundreds of students who are not classics majors.

b)students at covington pay on average, $22,500 per year in tution and fees, while the average professor of humanities receives a salary of $61,500 per year.

c)a well-regarded classics program adds prestige to a college or university.

d)the classics department has already decreased in size from 6 full-time professors 10 years ago.

e)the syudy of classics literature and languages is increasingly irrelevant to the high-tech workplace of today.

Please explain why a) is the ans as I assume hundreds of students may attend but they are not required to pay for the classics professors.The whole overhead of payment remains unaltered , then why a) is the solution.

Source:Mc-Graw-Hill's GMAT 2013 Edition
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1127

Kudos [?]: 3478 [1], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 12:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
ruplun wrote:
Please explain why a) is the ans as I assume hundreds of students may attend but they are not required to pay for the classics professors.The whole overhead of payment remains unaltered , then why a) is the solution.


Hi ruplun

Technically, students who attend classic classes have to pay tuition fee to the college. KEY WORD here are "full-time professors" and "lowest ratio 3-1". What do they mean? First, they mean salary expenses are "fixed" because full-time professors' salary is unchanged. Second, they mean the college cannot reduce the number of classic professors because the stimulus says 3-1 is the lowest ratio.

To solve the increased expenses problem, the college has two solutions: (1) Fire some classic professors; (2) Increase revenues to overcome the increase of salary expenses.

(1) Fire some classic professors. Can the college do so? NO. because the ratio 3-1 is the lowest ratio. It means the college CANNOT fire any professors.
(2) Increase revenue: Does it help to solve the problem. YES. This is the only way to solve the expenses problem.

Now, let analyze your questions.

Fist question:
As you say, "students are not required to pay for the classic professor" is half right, half wrong. The students do not pay DIRECTLY for the professors, but they pay INDIRECTLY for the professors. Because Students pay for the College. In turn, the college will use a portion of these payments to pay for professors.

Your second question:
The whole overhead of payment (I assume you mean professors' salary) is fixed. You're correct. But if the college cut down the classic majors, does it really help to solve the expenses problem? Nope. As I said above, the salary costs are "fixed". If the college cut down the classic majors, it will lost revenues that come from "hundred of students".

Hence, A is correct.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3478 [1], given: 123

VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1077

Kudos [?]: 646 [0], given: 70

Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 21:26
Hi
I ll be happy if my explanation helps!!!

What A presents is the fact that the professors who are recommended to remove, also take the classes in other branches of the college, which is attended by 100's of students . Hence it weakens the point that these professors are not teaching a large number of students.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit

Kudos [?]: 646 [0], given: 70

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 23:21
pqhai wrote:
ruplun wrote:
Please explain why a) is the ans as I assume hundreds of students may attend but they are not required to pay for the classics professors.The whole overhead of payment remains unaltered , then why a) is the solution.


Hi ruplun

Technically, students who attend classic classes have to pay tuition fee to the college. KEY WORD here are "full-time professors" and "lowest ratio 3-1". What do they mean? First, they mean salary expenses are "fixed" because full-time professors' salary is unchanged. Second, they mean the college cannot reduce the number of classic professors because the stimulus says 3-1 is the lowest ratio.

To solve the increased expenses problem, the college has two solutions: (1) Fire some classic professors; (2) Increase revenues to overcome the increase of salary expenses.

(1) Fire some classic professors. Can the college do so? NO. because the ratio 3-1 is the lowest ratio. It means the college CANNOT fire any professors.
(2) Increase revenue: Does it help to solve the problem. YES. This is the only way to solve the expenses problem.

Now, let analyze your questions.

Fist question:
As you say, "students are not required to pay for the classic professor" is half right, half wrong. The students do not pay DIRECTLY for the professors, but they pay INDIRECTLY for the professors. Because Students pay for the College. In turn, the college will use a portion of these payments to pay for professors.

Your second question:
The whole overhead of payment (I assume you mean professors' salary) is fixed. You're correct. But if the college cut down the classic majors, does it really help to solve the expenses problem? Nope. As I said above, the salary costs are "fixed". If the college cut down the classic majors, it will lost revenues that come from "hundred of students".


Hence, A is correct.



Hi pghai,

As you said "The students do not pay DIRECTLY for the professors, but they pay INDIRECTLY for the professors.[/color] Because Students pay for the College. In turn, the college will use a portion of these payments to pay for professors."-thats an assumption or indirect proposition as nowhere in the sentence it is mentioned that college pays the fees.

Quote from arg:
Since the college is facing financial difficulties, and since the tution fees from just 12 students is not sufficient to pay the salaries of 4 full-time professors

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Posts: 1127

Kudos [?]: 3478 [0], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 00:04
ruplun wrote:
pqhai wrote:
ruplun wrote:
Please explain why a) is the ans as I assume hundreds of students may attend but they are not required to pay for the classics professors.The whole overhead of payment remains unaltered , then why a) is the solution.


Hi ruplun

Technically, students who attend classic classes have to pay tuition fee to the college. KEY WORD here are "full-time professors" and "lowest ratio 3-1". What do they mean? First, they mean salary expenses are "fixed" because full-time professors' salary is unchanged. Second, they mean the college cannot reduce the number of classic professors because the stimulus says 3-1 is the lowest ratio.

To solve the increased expenses problem, the college has two solutions: (1) Fire some classic professors; (2) Increase revenues to overcome the increase of salary expenses.

(1) Fire some classic professors. Can the college do so? NO. because the ratio 3-1 is the lowest ratio. It means the college CANNOT fire any professors.
(2) Increase revenue: Does it help to solve the problem. YES. This is the only way to solve the expenses problem.

Now, let analyze your questions.

Fist question:
As you say, "students are not required to pay for the classic professor" is half right, half wrong. The students do not pay DIRECTLY for the professors, but they pay INDIRECTLY for the professors. Because Students pay for the College. In turn, the college will use a portion of these payments to pay for professors.

Your second question:
The whole overhead of payment (I assume you mean professors' salary) is fixed. You're correct. But if the college cut down the classic majors, does it really help to solve the expenses problem? Nope. As I said above, the salary costs are "fixed". If the college cut down the classic majors, it will lost revenues that come from "hundred of students".


Hence, A is correct.



Hi pghai,

As you said "The students do not pay DIRECTLY for the professors, but they pay INDIRECTLY for the professors.[/color] Because Students pay for the College. In turn, the college will use a portion of these payments to pay for professors."-thats an assumption or indirect proposition as nowhere in the sentence it is mentioned that college pays the fees.

Quote from arg:
Since the college is facing financial difficulties, and since the tution fees from just 12 students is not sufficient to pay the salaries of 4 full-time professors


Hi ruplun
This is sub-assumption. [assumption is a hidden sentence that make the conclusion hold]. I said non-classic major students pay indirectly because if the college does not pay a portion of those student's tuition for professors, why professors have to teach. There is no such a thing like free-classes in college.

The main assumption should be the college cannot reduce the number of classic major professors because 3-1 is the lowest ratio. Therefore, the only way to solve the cost problem is to increase revenue.

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3478 [0], given: 123

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 00:21
Yes pqhai...This makes senses....

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3355

Kudos [?]: 9042 [0], given: 1152

Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 03:01

Kudos [?]: 9042 [0], given: 1152

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 03:26
Manhattan, kaplan and Barron are okay to follow.Please correct.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1980

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 14:34
ruplun wrote:
Manhattan, kaplan and Barron are okay to follow.Please correct.


Guys just stick to MGMAT and Veritas if you're aiming for 700+
Aiming for 650? Go for Kaplan
Aiming for 600? Barrons will do the job nicely!

Cheers!
J :)

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 355

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10130

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 06:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Re: Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2017, 06:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Covington College has four full-time Classics professors,but

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.