Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 726 [104]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63653 [30]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [11]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [4]
Send PM
Re: In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitne [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C.

BDE are out due to unidiomatic.

between A and C:
A is wordy because of with clause and 'their'.

I don't regard distinguish between .. and.. and distinguish ... from... as a test point of GMAT. their differences are debatable and too subtle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Re: In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitne [#permalink]
Kudos
BDE are eliminated.

A has their ambiguous ...

C for clear and brevity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitney Clinic, distinguishes mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis.

(A) mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(B)mood swings , perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(C) between mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(D) between mood swings, perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(E) genuine manic-depressive psychosis and mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease

distinguishes between x and y is correct usage C
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
382. In his research paper, Dr. Frosh, medical director of the Payne Whitney Clinic, distinguishes mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis.(A) mood swings, which may be violent without their being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(B)mood swings , perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(C) between mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease, and genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(D) between mood swings, perhaps violent without being grounded in mental disease, from genuine manic-depressive psychosis
(E) genuine manic-depressive psychosis and mood swings, which may be violent without being grounded in mental disease

Since there is only 2 psychological notions here (mood swings & psychosis) we use the idiom distinguishes from....

distinguish x from y

therefore, only AD are out. Why are B and E wrong?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Can any expert explain the difference between

Distinguish X from Y and
Distinguish between X and Y

Furthermore, if we remove unnecessary-"their" from option (A). will the option be correct?

Plz Advise !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [5]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We should understand the two potential presentations of the word "distinguishes"

1) ....distinguish between X and Y
2) ....distinguish X from Y

In this prompt, only 2 of the answers fit these patterns: A and C. Eliminate B, D and E

From here, we have a number other rules that we can use (we could also have started with these rules instead of focusing on the word "distinguish"):

1) Unnecessary pronouns: The pronoun "their" in Answer A is unnecessary, since the modifying phrase is clearly discussing "mood swings."

2) 2-part phrases: There are several 2-part phrases that you might see on Test Day. Some are common ("either...or", "neither...nor", "between....and", which others are rarer ("not only...but also", "just as....so." Notice that the usage of the word "between" in some of the answers....this is a clue that we will likely be using the phrase "between...and" in the correct answer.

3) Parallelism: Since the prompt compares two things, we have to present the two "like" things and do so in "parallel format."

All of this points to the correct answer:

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
TGC wrote:

Distinguish X from Y and

Furthermore, if we remove unnecessary-"their" from option (A). will the option be correct?

Plz Advise !

Hi,
Distinguish X from Y and Is used for 2 pretty similar items
Distinguish between X and Y Is used for 2 very different items
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Malba wrote:
TGC wrote:

Distinguish X from Y and

Plz Advise !

Hi,
Distinguish X from Y and Is used for 2 pretty similar items
Distinguish between X and Y Is used for 2 very different items

As it was said before the difference between <Distinguish X from Y> and <Distinguish between X and Y> is too subtle.

B, D, E are out because they use neither <Distinguish X from Y> idiom nor <Distinguish between X and Y>.
A - <their> is bad -> out.

Leaves us with C.

If we remove <their> from A, seems to me, it will be correct option.
But if I am not mistaken, <Distinguish between X and Y> has a small priority over <Distinguish X from Y>.
So we will have to choose option C once again.
Correct me, please, if I am wrong.

2TGC and 2 Malba:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
What is the difference between -
1. distinguishes A from C
2. distinguishes A and C

I was thinking that option 1 is a correct idiomatic phrase.

Please do help clarify my doubt. Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos