Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 16 Jul 2019, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 216
During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 May 2019, 21:38
5
60
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:21) correct 44% (01:36) wrong based on 1960 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure of the universe evolved from the theoretical to the practical; the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.


(A) because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

(B) by both Einstein's theory of relativity and

(C) by Einstein's theory of relativity and also

(D) because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also

(E) as a result of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

Originally posted by crejoc on 15 Aug 2009, 02:39.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 May 2019, 21:38, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: Magoosh
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 32
Location: United States (CA)
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2011, 19:38
5
The answer choices for this question are all very similar in terms of pure meaning: [causal conjunction] Einstein's theory of relativity and (also)

In cases like this, where there seem to be "too many right answers", look for the simplest way to package what every answer says. Being concise is key. The simplest way isn't always the shortest, but look for complete, accurate meaning with the simplest, most direct syntax and structure.

Lastly, two smaller tip-offs that signal the right answer and might be helpful if you're stuck between choosing between two:
1. "made possible by" is slightly more idomatically common and natural than "made possible as a result of" or "made possible because of".
2. If you take a step back and look at the whole sentence, the emphasis is on the evolution from theoretical to practical, so NOT ONLY Einstein's theory, but the more practical "ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects" as well, so emphasizing the two by using the word "both" prominently before the conjoined noun phrases.

Hope that helps! :)
_________________
Margarette
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 98
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2011, 11:01
4
11
Quote:
During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure of the universe evolved from the theoretical to the practical; the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.


A) because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

B) by both Einstein's theory of relativity and

C) by Einstein's theory of relativity and also

D) because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also

E) as a result of both Einstein's theory of relativity and


Answer: B
Idiom - 'made possible by [something]' and never 'made possible because...' ---> eliminates A, D and E

Essentially, the statement is saying, "field of physical cosmology is made possible by Einstein's theory of relativity; field of physical cosmology is made possible by the better ability to observe [farther]...'. So, for concision's sake, we say 'made possible by both [X] and [Y]'.
This can also be rewritten as 'Both [X] and [Y] made [Z] possible' ---> hence, B is correct.
_________________
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 228
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2009, 04:37
2
1
was made possible demands a by
Hence we can narrow it between B & C
and also is wrong and hence B
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 538
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2011, 03:36
margarette wrote:
The answer choices for this question are all very similar in terms of pure meaning: [causal conjunction] Einstein's theory of relativity and (also)

In cases like this, where there seem to be "too many right answers", look for the simplest way to package what every answer says. Being concise is key. The simplest way isn't always the shortest, but look for complete, accurate meaning with the simplest, most direct syntax and structure.

Lastly, two smaller tip-offs that signal the right answer and might be helpful if you're stuck between choosing between two:
1. "made possible by" is slightly more idomatically common and natural than "made possible as a result of" or "made possible because of".
2. If you take a step back and look at the whole sentence, the emphasis is on the evolution from theoretical to practical, so NOT ONLY Einstein's theory, but the more practical "ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects" as well, so emphasizing the two by using the word "both" prominently before the conjoined noun phrases.

Hope that helps! :)


"Made possible by" is idiom, isn't it? or we choose based on the most shortest version?
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 42
Schools: NUS
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2011, 10:30
[quote="margarette"]The answer choices for this question are all very similar in terms of pure meaning: [causal conjunction] Einstein's theory of relativity and (also)

In cases like this, where there seem to be "too many right answers", look for the simplest way to package what every answer says. Being concise is key. The simplest way isn't always the shortest, but look for complete, accurate meaning with the simplest, most direct syntax and structure.

Lastly, two smaller tip-offs that signal the right answer and might be helpful if you're stuck between choosing between two:
1. "made possible by" is slightly more idomatically common and natural than "made possible as a result of" or "made possible because of".
2. If you take a step back and look at the whole sentence, the emphasis is on the evolution from theoretical to practical, so NOT ONLY Einstein's theory, but the more practical "ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects" as well, so emphasizing the two by using the word "both" prominently before the conjoined noun phrases.

is" made possible by" only flaw in the option D or and also is also incorrect?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 312
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2011, 10:56
I ignored option (C) and (D) becasue of expression "and also".

MGMAT SC puts expression "and also" in SUSPECT category(pg 161). Can someone suggest is it fair to ignore "and also"?

Cheers!
_________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Affiliations: Magoosh
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 32
Location: United States (CA)
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2011, 15:55
1
1
tuanquang269 wrote:

"Made possible by" is idiom, isn't it? or we choose based on the most shortest version?

For "made possible", "by" would be the best, idiomatically, but I would avoid relying solely on memorization of idiomatic phrasing to choose an answer, and use it more as a last test. Basically, any formulaic or ironclad strategies such as if X then answer is Y, especially when it comes to Verbal, are tricky (but that's another discussion!).



alex39 wrote:

is "made possible by" only flaw in the option D or and also is also incorrect?

The "because of" is certainly a detractor, as is the lack of emphasis on the conjunction (having "and also" at the end), but the overall wording of that answer choice ("because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also") is unwieldy.


Capricorn369 wrote:
I ignored option (C) and (D) becasue of expression "and also".

MGMAT SC puts expression "and also" in SUSPECT category(pg 161). Can someone suggest is it fair to ignore "and also"?

Cheers!

"And also" may seem a little redundant, since you're basically saying the same thing twice ("and" conjoins and "also" introduces an addition) but I wouldn't put a blanket ban on it, since there are some cases where it could be used effectively. For this particular question, "and also" is incorrect because when you say "Einstein's theory of relativity AND ALSO better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects", it seems to subordinate the second practical example (as if you said "I like apples and also oranges", it seems as if you liked apples a bit more, right?), which we don't want to do, because the prompt says studies have "evolved from the theoretical to the practical". Using the word "both" eliminates this risk.


Feel free to let me know if you guys want me to clarify anything, I'd be happy to help!
_________________
Margarette
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 124
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2012, 09:48
1
two idioms: "made possible by" and "both X and Y."
_________________
DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2011
Posts: 124
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 21:38
1
gmatopoeia wrote:
Quote:
During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure of the universe evolved from the theoretical to the practical; the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.


A) because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

B) by both Einstein's theory of relativity and

C) by Einstein's theory of relativity and also

D) because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also

E) as a result of both Einstein's theory of relativity and


Answer: B
Idiom - 'made possible by [something]' and never 'made possible because...' ---> eliminates A, D and E

Essentially, the statement is saying, "field of physical cosmology is made possible by Einstein's theory of relativity; field of physical cosmology is made possible by the better ability to observe [farther]...'. So, for concision's sake, we say 'made possible by both [X] and [Y]'.
This can also be rewritten as 'Both [X] and [Y] made [Z] possible' ---> hence, B is correct.



i got it wrong. i picked A here. anyway nice explanation. another idiom is included in my list. "made possible by X and Y ....
_________________
some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Oh GMAT ! I give you one more shot :)
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 75
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 12:44
2
This sentence uses the Passive Voice and in such sentences "because of" and "by" must follow the structures below:

Action because of cause/reason for the action
Action by agent of the action

Now if we look at the sentence
the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

Einstein's theory of relativity does not (automatically) cause the field of physical cosmology.
The theory is just an agent (means), not a reason, by which the field is made possible. Hence the structure Action by agent of the action is more appropriate here.

Same logic applies to the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

Only options B & C have the correct structure. In C "and also" is redundant, hence B is the best option.
_________________
Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 433
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 20:25
prasun9 wrote:
This sentence uses the Passive Voice and in such sentences "because of" and "by" must follow the structures below:

Action because of cause/reason for the action
Action by agent of the action

Now if we look at the sentence
the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

Einstein's theory of relativity does not (automatically) cause the field of physical cosmology.
The theory is just an agent (means), not a reason, by which the field is made possible. Hence the structure Action by agent of the action is more appropriate here.

Same logic applies to the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

Only options B & C have the correct structure. In C "and also" is redundant, hence B is the best option.


Thanks Prasun. For sharing the inputs. :)
I think i got the crux here. Capturing the analysis from my end, just to ensure that we r on same page.

Because of Vs By:

Because of =>
Because of and because introduce a cause or reason for a particular situation.
Because of is followed by a noun phrase and because is followed by a clause.


Demonstrators protested
(Why?) because of their dissatisfaction.
Demonstrations arose/ occurred/ happened
(Why?) because of dissatisfaction.

Neighboring countries were worried
because of the unrest.

By =>
1:By and with introduce a means or method for a particular action that someone takes or something does.
Demonstrators protested
(How?)with a march in Tahrir Square.
by marching in Tahrir Square.

Change resulted
(How?)with the formation of a council.
by forming a temporary council.

2:After a passive verb, by introduces the agent of the action. The agent is often a person or persons, but the agent may also be inanimate.
Some protestors were injured
(by whom/what?)by other protestors.
by opposing demonstrators.

Neighboring countries were worried
by rumors about the unrest.
by news reports about the unrest.


Now coming to the original question:
the study ... evolved from the theoretical to the practical;
the field ... was made possible [This can be answered by (by whom/what);hence by is the correct usage here.]
[because of/by ] both
Einstein's theory of relativity and
the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 178
GPA: 3.31
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 05:00
During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure of the universe evolved from the theoretical to the practical; the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.


A) because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

B) by both Einstein's theory of relativity and
Correct.
C) by Einstein's theory of relativity and also

D) because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also

E) as a result of both Einstein's theory of relativity and
_________________
In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2016
Posts: 41
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 12:37
Are we concerned at all about "because of... the better"? The awkwardness of that really threw me off. Also, isn't "both Einstein's theory" and "the better ability" lacking in parallelism?
Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1329
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 06:50
1
2
crejoc wrote:
During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure of the universe evolved from the theoretical to the practical; the field of physical cosmology was made possible because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and the better ability to observe extremely distant astronomical objects.

(A) because of both Einstein's theory of relativity and

(B) by both Einstein's theory of relativity and

(C) by Einstein's theory of relativity and also

(D) because of Einstein's theory of relativity and also

(E) as a result of both Einstein's theory of relativity and


OFFICIAL EXPLANATION


The underlined portion of the sentence introduces two idioms: made possible by and both X and Y. The former idiom is incorrectly presented in the sentence as made possible because of.

(A) The choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. This choice uses both idioms correctly: made possible by and both X and Y.

(C) This choice corrects the first idiom (made possible by) but introduces a new error by removing both and replacing it with and also, which is redundant.

(D) This choice repeats the original idiom error made possible because of. It also introduces a new error by removing both and replacing it with and also, which is redundant.

(E) This choice presents the incorrect idiom (made possible as a result of) rather than the correct idiom, made possible by.
_________________
"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Aug 2018
Posts: 12
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 10:38
Many people here have commented that answer C is wrong because it is redundant. But isn't answer choice B also redundant? ... made possible BY BOTH Einstein's theory of relativity and... (doesn't "both" make it redundant?)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 2848
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 20:47
1
lstsch wrote:
Many people here have commented that answer C is wrong because it is redundant. But isn't answer choice B also redundant? ... made possible BY BOTH Einstein's theory of relativity and... (doesn't "both" make it redundant?)
That's a great point, as the both is clearly not needed there. :lol:

I'm not sure how closely we should look at this question, given that it is not an official question, but I guess that, because the GMAT loves the both X and Y structure, and has gone against and also multiple times, it's okay to choose both X and Y over and also.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2019, 20:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

During the twentieth century, the study of the large-scale structure

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne