It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emory ($) VS. Georgetown vs. Boston U ($$$)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Emory ($) VS. Georgetown vs. Boston U ($$$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 12:58
Hi everyone,

As I'm sure most of you can relate, I'm struggling with making my decision on where to attend. I've been accepted at the schools above. 25% scholarship at Goizueta, 70% at BU and nothing at Georgetown.

My background is largely entrepreneurial, and I have some experience in solar development as an entrepreneur. I'm looking to get my MBA to do renewable energy development, or if not directly solar development, work in a social enterprise role that relates to cleantech.

My dream would be to work for the World Bank, IMF, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, etc...

With all that said, I'm struggling with my decision. On one hand you have Georgetown. With its location it has great relationships with international development organizations such as the World Bank, IMF, etc... and I do love the program. It also would be the most expensive for me. On the other hand BU has a program that in the classroom is really tailor made to do clean energy development and they are also giving me the most money. However the school is more regional and I worry that a BU MBA won't play at some of the prestigious international organizations I have my eyes set on. Emory is also a really interesting choice, some money which is nice, a really solid social enterprise concentration and career support, although it's not a clean energy focus. However, I really get a good vibe from the place and I feel that a Goizueta MBA on my resume would carry a lot more weight throughout the entirety of my career than BU.

Given my situation, what does everyone else think?

Thanks in advance!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Emory ($) VS. Georgetown vs. Boston U ($$$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 07:49
I would go with BU here. Essentially you are going after a role that is non-traditional. There is no formal recruitment for that or resources that better ranked schools like Goizueta or Georgetown could offer you. However, having the scholarship to BU plus being in the Boston area (around high tech/renewable tech) will be better for your future career asprirations. But if you are thinking about consulting or finance, I would go to Goizueta.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28532 [0], given: 5115

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Emory ($) VS. Georgetown vs. Boston U ($$$) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 11:05
Congratulations on 3 admits!

Are you a domestic applicant or International?
Broke or OK financially?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28532 [0], given: 5115

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GRE 1: 325 Q157 V168
GPA: 3.62
WE: Account Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 16:34
As BB noted - I think a lot here matters on your individual financial situation. If you're current financial situation is more constrained AND you're dead 100% set on this renewable energy venture, I would probably lean towards BU here. However, if there is a decent change that you might want to do something else, I would look hard at Emory.

Just based on the information you provided, I'm assuming your tuition bill at Emory after scholarships is around $75k and your bill at BU at around $30k. So a 45k difference. After taking into consideration an, on average, a more expensive living situation in Boston, I would estimate the real Cost of Attendance difference with living expenses rolled in to be around $30k.

Given this, I would probably go to Emory. It's historically a top 20 program and you can see from the employment statistics that the average Emory grad makes about $25k more a year. After taxes, you'd make up for the difference in a couple of years everything else being equal.

Admittedly I have approached this from a purely numbers standpoint. However, I believe that you will have greater success at achieving these non-traditional goals with having a more "brand named" school attached to your resume and if these plans don't materialize, you will have a great job afterwards regardless. Emory has really strong internship and employment stats, not sure what BU has going for it, but I doubt they are as strong.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 15:39
You're going to b-school to reach your career goals right? Georgetown far and away seems to accomplish this the best. BU is not quite on the same level as Gtown and Emory so it would really be a different comparison. Emory does not seem to address your career goals. Given you had people above look at this from a purely numerical basis I wanted to give you an alternative approach. There's limited value in attending a school that does not address your development needs. Good luck with your decision!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 163

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 04:31
hornet2011 wrote:
As BB noted - I think a lot here matters on your individual financial situation. If you're current financial situation is more constrained AND you're dead 100% set on this renewable energy venture, I would probably lean towards BU here. However, if there is a decent change that you might want to do something else, I would look hard at Emory.

Just based on the information you provided, I'm assuming your tuition bill at Emory after scholarships is around $75k and your bill at BU at around $30k. So a 45k difference. After taking into consideration an, on average, a more expensive living situation in Boston, I would estimate the real Cost of Attendance difference with living expenses rolled in to be around $30k.

Given this, I would probably go to Emory. It's historically a top 20 program and you can see from the employment statistics that the average Emory grad makes about $25k more a year. After taxes, you'd make up for the difference in a couple of years everything else being equal.

Admittedly I have approached this from a purely numbers standpoint. However, I believe that you will have greater success at achieving these non-traditional goals with having a more "brand named" school attached to your resume and if these plans don't materialize, you will have a great job afterwards regardless. Emory has really strong internship and employment stats, not sure what BU has going for it, but I doubt they are as strong.

Hi hornet2011,

Which school did you choose? I see you have been accepted to Emory and KF. Any scholarships?

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 163

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 22:47
bb wrote:
Congratulations on 3 admits!

Are you a domestic applicant or International?
Broke or OK financially?

Sorry for the delayed response. Been busy and doing some soul searching. I am a domestic candidate. I guess broke or ok financially is relative. I still have about 30k in debt from undergrad and am looking to be able to make around 30k a year in residual income from my business while in school. Not much but enough to offset living expenses at least. I visited Gtown and really enjoyed it, just not sure how to quantify the added value of going to a program like Gtown as opposed to BU. Are things like network and alumni really worth the additional 80k it will cost me to go to Georgetown?

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 18:53
Yea a brand that can help you reach your goals is valuable which is why people sacrifice money all of the time in the short term for the long term benefit. Ultimately you will need to get comfortable with potentially sacrificing either the short term or long term. Tough decision but you will have to sort out whats most valuable to you. I would suggest talking to alums at both schools to figure out how valuable the brand and network will be as alums

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Emory ($) VS. Georgetown vs. Boston U ($$$)   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2017, 18:53

Emory ($) VS. Georgetown vs. Boston U ($$$)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap