GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:09
Top Contributor
Asad
I never said so; you are making wrong assumptions. We always evaluate in comparison to official clues. if you don't want to do it', You are welcome not to do it. No one is stopping you. Good luck.
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 07:20
daagh wrote:
Asad
I never said so; you are making wrong assumptions. We always evaluate in comparison to official clues. if you don't want to do it', You are welcome not to do it. No one is stopping you. Good luck.

I got it. I'm going to find out some questions from Official source so that I can evaluate this one with official one. Thanks__

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 14:41
daagh wrote:
Asad,
Is the question that you have cited an official question? It is said to be from the Gmatclub. Let's evaluate vis-a-vis some official examples. Can you pl. sift through the OG lot and find some so that they can help us learn more?

Hi daagh,
Here is a RC passage where the use of COMMA+to still make sense. What's your opinion about the highlighted part?
Thanks__

This passage is excerpt from Official guide 17th edition, page# 382
When Jamaican-born social activist Marcus Garvey came to the United States in 1916, he arrived at precisely the right historical moment. What made the moment right was the return of African American soldiers from the First World War in 1918, which created an ideal constituency for someone with Garvey's message of unity, pride, and improved conditions for African American communities.

Hoping to participate in the traditional American ethos of individual success, many African American people entered the armed forces with enthusiasm, only to find themselves segregated from white troops and subjected to numerous indignities. They returned to a United States that was as segregated as it had been before the war. Considering similar experiences, anthropologist Anthony F. C. Wallace has argued that when a perceptible gap arises between a culture’s expectations and the reality of that culture, the resulting tension can inspire a revitalization movement: an organized, conscious effort to construct a culture that fulfills longstanding expectations.

Some scholars have argued that Garvey created the consciousness from which he built, in the 1920s, the largest revitalization movement in African American history. But such an argument only tends to obscure the consciousness of identity, strength, and sense of history that already existed in the African American community. Garvey did not create this consciousness; rather, he gave this consciousness its political expression.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/when-jamaica ... 36802.html

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 21:49
Top Contributor
I don't know the full scope of an RC passage and grammar, and there have been many instances in the past, wherein
Rc passages have been at variance with SC norms and we used to just not bother about it. But, if you are bent on saying the given SC passage has been wrongly rejected by GMAT, you should now take it up with GMAT directly.

It seems to be a surprise that in spite of your great efforts, you couldn't get any passage from Sc. Is it because there may be none?

Thanks
D

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 02:36
daagh wrote:

It seems to be a surprise that in spite of your great efforts, you couldn't get any passage from Sc. Is it because there may be none?

Thanks

No, I've not tried to find out a single SC yet.
Thanks__

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 06:50
daagh wrote:

Thanks

Hi daagh,
The following question is from Official Guide for GMAT Review Question# 88 (diagnostic test).

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1995-rich ... s#p2203202

The correct choice is:

In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff's laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

What about you thinking/judgement about the green part where infinitive has been used after comma?
Thanks__

------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 00:37
is the ",to" the only reason why e is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 15:55
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

(C) protecting
(E) to protect

Could somebody please explain what sense do you find with option C? I don't think the use of the modifier in C speaks to the result aspect. Perhaps it emphasises the "how" aspect, though that too seems weird. Please guys provide some more clarity on this.

I suppose the reason E is wrong is that "to protect" implies some sort of intention. Hence, I believe that "items of military equipment" or simply "military equipment" would arguably make sense with such a modification, especially after that comma that adds nothing to the clarity or meaning of the sentence, except for confusion.

aragonn GMATNinja sudarshan22 GMATNinjaTwo hazelnut generis
CrackVerbal Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 20:12
Quote:
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

(A) a method to protect
(B) as a method protecting
(C) protecting
(D) as a protection of
(E) to protect

The right answer is C. The two key things to look out for are that it is "animal hides" that is being modified (A, B, D out), and that this last clause should have an action taking place (hence "protecting" works better).

- Matoo
Re: For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima   [#permalink] 25 May 2019, 20:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, anima

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics