It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:08

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 720 to 750 - A difficult plateau to overcome

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [7], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
From 720 to 750 - A difficult plateau to overcome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First the Score Break-up in the order of Section attempted :)

Verbal - 42
Quant - 49
Total - 750 :-D
IR - 7 :-D
AWA - Score Awaited. (Took the test yesterday)

Now, before anything, I want to thank Everyone - Founders, Moderators, Tutors, Aspirants, and Applicants (pardon me if I have forgotten anyone) - on gmatclub and beatthegmat. Though I was not a regular at beatthegmat.com, their periodic mail directed me to an old GMAT Debrief and one particular strategy in it helped me. Like helped me Massively (I have covered it below).

Now, Over to the GMAT Experience with decisions and reasons for those decisions. (Decisions are Underlined)

I booked a late afternoon slot - 4:30. At-least It's still afternoon at 4:30 in India. I booked this slot because I am not a morning person. Literally. I had been on a 3 week break from work until yesterday (of-course) and could never wake up before 12 PM. Hehe. So, a test slot of 12:30 or 1:00 was not even an option. I got a call from the center a day before inviting me to start the test between 3:00 to 3:30. I reached there by 4 anyways. Center was fine. Though there was a little disturbance at around 6 because there is Gym nearby, it didn't bother me much because neither is that gym a very happening one, nor did a little sound mattered to me much. Moreover, this was a better option than the other one in Delhi that has a parking-lot of bikes right outside its window - a noise that irritates me quite a lot.

Test Started and I picked Verbal section first, as stated earlier, because I did not want the energy drain to affect my verbal score as it was my weaker section. 2 questions into the test and I realized that it was not one of my good days. I faced a lot of difficulty concentrating but I knew, from experience of taking so many tests, that these questions are much easier than my actual level and real difficult ones will come by Q 10. You see, for sometime now, I had been getting 100% accuracy in first 11-12 questions in Kaplan and gmatclub tests. So, Fighting the urge to close the exam, I got my first RC by Q - 5 and it was like Rain in a Hot Summer Day. Though I did not consider RC my strong suit, it pulled me away from those urges and pushed me into the test. Though I could complete those First 10 Questions in about 14 minutes, they took me 16 min and I was unfazed by this loss because I still had 2 more minutes in the next slot. You see I wanted to spend more time in Q 11 to Q 20 because that's where I'd get my 1st wrong answer. OOh Yes. About the (imaginary) Slots in the test:

Verbal

Spend 18 minutes on a set of Every 10 Questions and 3 minutes on the last one. RCs could impact this rule by 2 minutes.
Question - Time on the clock
Q 11 - 57 Minutes (Use the time saved here in the next slot)
Q 21 - 39 Minutes (Thou Shall Not have any Time Saved here)
Q 31 - 21 Minutes (Though Shall Not Pace up unless you used too much time before)
Q 41 - 3 Minutes (I never really had 3 minutes for the last question but it doen't hurt to wish for it :) )

Quant

2 minutes per question. No question asked
Question - Time
Q 11 - 55 Minutes (Don't Slow down if you don't have to)
Q 21 - 35 Minutes (Q 21 to 31 is where I'd normally get my 1st incorrect. So, be careful now)
Q 31 - Recalculate the time left and adjust accordingly

You see, my timing strategy was different for both the sections because my comfort level is different in those sections. I took this exam as a test of business aptitude and because rigidity is the last thing you'd want in a good businessman, I was ready to adjust as and when required.

Back to the Test - My timing in Verbal was going fine except that I was off by 2 minutes by Q 31 and Kept hoping that I'd make up for it in CR questions. I have been solving some of them, during practice, within 90 seconds. Q 31 was the 4th and Last RC and by the time I had completed it, I still lagged by 2 minutes so I decided to skip Q 35. That gave me a comfortable ride till the end of the test. I had to nether pace up nor pace down to complete the test.

Took the 8 minute break, got back to my seat and surprisingly, I got another 1 minute to read the instructions for the quant section. I spent 45 seconds on that screen before moving forward :wink: The Very 1st Question stumped me. Badly. I could not let it go because IT WAS THE 1st QUESTION and since I generally completed quant with 5 minutes on the clock, I wasn't too worried about the time. 4 minutes into the question and I couldn't solve it yet. That was frustrating and Demoralizing :( I tried to eliminate the options but
couldn't move in any direction.
It seems that my mind was in a lock down. 5 minutes in, I marked the answer and moved on. Everything after that was a breeze though I did face some difficult ones. The last question stumped me again but this time I had only 3 minutes for it. tried it, marked it, and moved out of my seat realizing that I am not going to get 50 in Quant. I didn't.

Took another 8 minute break composing myself, trying to recover from the blunder. I could not afford to mess up the IR section as schools have started looking at it. Took another 45 seconds Not Reading the Instructions :) Completed the section without any major strategic decisions. Got 1 minute break for Not Reading the Instructions of AWA. "Posted" my template and submitted the test. For about 2 minutes, I couldn't even focus on the screen :shifty: A huge load had been lifted off my mind. I had just completed my Last Attempt at the GMAT. I called the Proctor and asked him where on the screen was my Score Mentioned? It was 750 with IR 7. I got agitated :yikes asked him to accept it immediately before the time runs out. Apparently, the timer was not running on that screen. hehe. I moved on to the next screen and there was the question whether I wanted to accept that score. I exited the center, got in my car bouncing up and down :bouncer2 with my hands in the air :punk

Observations of the Test

Verbal

CR
Evaluation Question - My 9th Question was evaluation It motivated me signaling that I am doing good in exam. Not sure whether I got a total of 2 or 1 Evaluation question. This is in tune with one one friend of mine who took the test on 3rd of this month and got 0 Eval questions in V 42.

Parallel Reasoning and similar questions - 0 Questions

Strengthen - 2 to 3

Inference - The one in Final 10 was close to the LSAT Inference Questions. Not as tough, testing Contra-Positive. But close. Its Argument had hints of LSAT but reasoning of Correct Answer was strictly in GMAT's Domain.

Bold-Faced - 1 Question. It was Easy because one of the bold sentences was the main conclusion and only 2 options identified it so.

SC
I didn't get too many questions with splits. 3 or 4 in total.

Long Underlined Part - Only 2 Questions
Modifiers - A lot of questions.

1 Question used "and also" in underlined portion of every option. So, GMAC doesn't consider it wrong. Wordy? Maybe. But wrong? Absolutely not.

No Question Tested Idioms Explicitly. I could eliminate every option on other grammar rules and Meaning. However, it seemed like not more than 2 options tested the same grammar rule.

RC

Short RC - 2. 1st one was Q 5, as mentioned. Both of them were dense. First one had a lot of Phenomenon with Cause-Effect Relationship but fortunately, that was the shell-game strategy meant for us to waste time. No correct answer touched upon those relationships. You'd feel that the inference questions of GMAC are kind of straight forward if you have solved Kaplan's RC in tests.

Long RC - 2. Felt Easy. 1 RC was definitely about birds + excavation.

Quant
Some questions were Tricky.

Probability - Last 2 questions.
TSD - 1 Question.

1st one that stumped me was from Algebra.

An important thing for the end because we do not really have any questions on this topic.. The last question I got asked for the probability in a geometric figure. Because I cannot post the whole question, this is all that I can say about it; but looking back, I think getting it right would have given me Q 50.

Edit: Added the last sentence about the Probability and Geometry.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Last edited by umg on 06 Aug 2017, 10:03, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 168 [7], given: 101

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [5], given: 101

Re: From 720 to 750 - A difficult plateau to overcome [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Material I used to Study

This is a tough topic to answer as I referred to a lot of material over the course of these attempts.

2 Blogs that really stood out are -

1. Manhattan Prep - For general strategies like ("Like" can be used to present examples. OG has atleast 1 question) Timing Strategy here and here, Guessing Techniques here and here, and Test Strategy here and here. These are just a few articles among many that helped me.

2. Magoosh - I read this blog mainly for the concepts but here are some good topics that also helped Study Plan for a 700, Is this a 700+ level, Learning from Your Mistakes, The GMAT, Learning, and Memory, and Improve Your Verbal Score. Besides these, mikemcgarry has posted some of the most amazing posts on GMAT Concepts. Thank You Mike. I realized the real power of Philanthropy through Internet from your blogs. Through these posts, I am paying-it-forward :)

Now, over to Books and Material. I am going to divide it in 2 parts - For 720 and For 750. 750 required a different strategy to prep but it does not mean that you cannot get a 750 through the material for 720. You'll understand the difference shortly.

For 720

Quant - I am an Mechanical Engineer in India. So, Maths was a strong suit for me. As a matter of fact, I scored Q 44 in diagnostic test of Manhattan. That was before any prep. I didn't even know the format of DS Questions. So, the material I used was -

1. Veritas Books, they have a lot of printing mistakes but since I am good in Maths, they didn't really bother me. The mistakes were too obvious. Anyways, Veritas nicely covers all the major concepts and questions in their Homework Section test Most of the intricate details and techniques in those topics. Long Story Short, they are good to make you aware of all the ways Quant topics can be tested. A special mention of the DS Book. It helped me quite a lot and I think it is available free of cost. If it is, GET IT.
2. Manhattan Advanced - Good Book. The theory covered in it is adheres nicely with the 2 articles about test strategy on their blog. 150 questions at the end are tough but necessary (maybe).
3. OG 16 - OG is a must have. Enough Said!

A special mention of Bunuel and VeritasPrepKarishma. Especially Karishma. Bunuel is good. There is no doubt about it but I find Karishma's solutions more in tune with what I wanted in an alternate Solution. Thanks Guys :)

More details about Quant in the 750 Section.

Verbal - I am an Mechanical Engineer in India. So, Verbal was a weak suit for me. As a matter of fact, I scored V 28 in diagnostic test of Manhattan. SC Weighed me down and Rightfully so. We Indians are not taught Grammar in School. Like Literally No Grammar. Yes, I could speak a fluent English and write my thoughts easily but none of that could be called Grammatical. Everytime I hear one of my friends speak in English, I want to smack him in the face specifically because he scored 99%ile in CAT, an entrance exam for MBA Schools in India. Desis know all that I am talking about. Anyways over to the interesting stuff.

CR I always considered myself a strategist, a logical guy. So, this section didn't really bothered me.
1. Veritas Book - Good coverage of all the concepts and very good questions in the Homework Section.
2. Powerscore - Used it to pick up my CR accuracy after it dropped because I prepared exclusively for SC for a month.
3. All the questions in this Document except last 70 in Super 100.
4. I also Solved a lot of questions from this doc.
5. CR Posts on Vertias' blog are also good but none stood out specifically.
6. OG 16 - OG is a must have. Enough Said!
7. Veritas - Advance Verbal Strategiy - Amazing Book. No questions asked.

RC (SC is more exhaustive)
1. Veritas Book - STOP Strategy. I've found it extremely helpful.
2. Solved Every Question in this doc. It helped me diagnose my weak areas in RC - Types of question and Types of Passages.
3. Manhattan Prep Blog - Reading Tips.
4. Magoosh Blog - GMAT Reading List, Read Carefully Once, and The Economist.
5. OG 16 - OG is a must have. Enough Said!
6. Veritas - Advance Verbal Strategiy - Amazing Book. No questions asked.

SC I spent 1 complete month on this topic as this was my weakest section.
1. Manhattan Prep SC - Amazing Book. Even though I got about 60% accuracy in OG after my 1st read, I read it about 4 more times, cover to cover, just to grab every piece of grammar rule written in it as I did not want to miss another question because I did know a Rule. Surprisingly, I always found atleast 1 new rule that I glossed over in all the previous reads. By the time I read it for 5th time, my friends had started calling me to learn the rules that were tested in the question but they didn't know.
2. OG 16 - OG is a must have. Enough Said!
3. 50 One-Liner Questions posted by me earlier. Consider it Theory instead of Practice. The solutions are amazing.
4. A Document of 100 SC Questions. There are a lot of documents that contain exactly the same questions but their solutions are not as good as the one that I have. I'll post it in a couple of days. Consider it Theory as well. BTW, more than 1 friend of mine who scored V 42 independently described it as Holy Bible of SC.
5. Document posted in thisthread.
6. Aristotle SC Grail. A friend gave it to me.
7. Veritas - Advance Verbal Strategiy - Amazing Book. No questions asked.
8. The Posts on Magoosh's Blog - Past Perfect, Comparison, Phrases as Subjects, Due To, with + [noun], The Empty ‘It’, Nested Grammatical Structures, Infinitives, That, Indefinite Pronouns, and Dropping Common Words in Parallel. Quite a list! I know. Sorry but I had to post this list as these posts helped me fine tune the rules and apply them in the questions.

Phew! that was quite a lot of material. No doubt about it. I started in Feb and completed Veritas, Manhattan, and OG by the end of April, spending at least 2 hours everyday. Everything in them except 5 reads of Manhattan SC. I had read it only once by then. That prep routine was more about gaining new knowledge and calibrated mode of study. Ok. Now, Mock Tests..

I had 12 from Veritas, I bought their complete study package, 5/7 from Manhattan, don't really remember how many tests manhattan gives, and 4 from the GMATPrep.

For 750

I had 2 tasks when I started preparing again by the end of April this year. My study log for a few days is here and looking back at it, I hit my minimum requirement except for the time limit :-D I couldn't continue the log for long as it used to take a lot of time to make an entry.

I bought Kaplan Premier 2017 because I wanted new tests and Kaplan 800 because I had heard that it has some good questions in Verbal.

Quant - Aim - Q 51

1. Veritas Books - Revised them to regain the conceptual clarity. Because my annual subscription had ended, I could not practice their tests.
2. gmatclub Tests - Exchanged them for Kudos in May. Those are some amazing Tests. Kudos to you guys.
3. Kaplan Premier 2017 - Don't think about its Quant unless your Mock score is around 20 or maybe 30. If it is above 35, this quant is mostly useless.
4. Kaplan 800 - Better Questions in Quant but not tough enough.

I did not review the Manhattan Advanced Quant this time as I concentrated my efforts toward Gmatclub Tests.

Verbal - I already knew most of the concepts but there was still a huge scope of improvement. Hence, I needed a new strategy to prepare.

CR
1. Revised from Veritas Book.
2. Kaplan Premier 2017 - After covering a few topics from this book, I had an epiphany. The one I had been waiting for. I realized that I could put CR arguments in different buckets and make the process of solving them a bit more mechanical. So, I started labeling the buckets and putting down the question types in them. I've already posted some tips. Link is in my signature. More about it soon.
3. Kaplan 800 - Completed CR section in it.
4. Super 100 - 50 Questions in this doc. They helped boost my confidence in the new technique I had developed.
5. OG 16 - Didn't complete it this time. I know this is not an ideal thing to do but the way I see it is that I could either complete this or practice the document mentioned above. I picked the document.

RC - My accuracy in RC was satisfactory. So, I did not need to worry too kuch about it.
1. Kaplan Premier 2017 - Completed all the RCs using STOP strategy by Veritas.
2. OG 16 - did not solve last 2 or 3 RCs.
3. Read Economist articles every day. I found an app of What-if by economist. It had some amazing articles.
4. The blog post on Manhattan also helped - Hack GMAT RC.

SC
1. Revised from Manhattan SC book.
2. Practiced questions from Kaplan Premier.
3. Solved 80% OG Questions.
4. 50 One-Liner Questions and the set of Top - 100 SC Questions as I did earlier.
5. Kaplan 800

Tests -
1. Kaplan - Quant is a little more difficult than GMAT's and Verbal is a real shocker. Their RC are too difficult but useful to prepare for the Worst Case Scenario, a scenario that I faced during the test. So, Kaplan's Tests helped wuite a lot.
2. Gmatclub test - Their Quant is amazing. No doubt about it. However, I was always a little skeptical in CR.

There is one last section - Strategies that proved instrumental in taking me to 750. But because this post is already too long, I'll make another post for it.

Edit: Added the link of Top 100 SC questions, solutions of which helped me tremendously.

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

Last edited by umg on 09 Aug 2017, 12:00, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 168 [5], given: 101

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 204

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 07:25
Every word was worth it, shows off your hard work!

It would be great if you could chip in some RC strategies (except reading articles from few sources).
And also the last 2-3 weeks preparation strategies would be nice to read! :lol:
Waiting for the next part, take your time buddy, but let it be de-brief! :)

Congratulations! :)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 204

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 166

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 08:09
Good one umg

I admire the way you mastered the timing aspect! Lot's of new and good learnings.

All the best for the application process.

Kudos - I hope you liked the post, if you have liked the post, please do not hesitate to show your appreciation and support with a simple click on Kudos, it will make me happy and encourage me to support more people.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 166

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [3], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Last Section of this Loooooong Debrief - Strategies that proved instrumental in taking me to 750

I am gonna divide this section in 2 parts (again) - In-Test Strategies & Prep Strategies.

In-Test Strategies

1. Use Fingers of your non working hand as ABCDE rather than using Scratch Pad to record the options you have eliminated. Since I am Right-Handed, I used my Left Hand - Smallest Finger for A and Thumb for E - when that hand faced the screen. You see, the orientation of hand matters.
Minimum Scope of Usage - 41 Questions of Verbal & Roman Numeral Questions in Quant.
Result - I stopped looking at the scratch pad to write. So, I did not have to put a break in my train of thoughts, resulting in a better concentration and a faster pace. Even if I cut only 2 seconds per question, over the course of the 41 Verbal question it gave me 82 additional seconds, enough time to solve an additional SC or 20 seconds more for 4 CR Questions.

2. You DO NOT GET 8 Minutes BETWEEN the Sections. You Get 8 + 1 Minutes between them. 8 Minutes of Break and 1 additional Minute to Read the Instructions of the Section to come, something we never do. So, use this additional 1 minute as well.
Minimum Scope of Usage - We even get that 1 minute between AWA and IR.

3. Activity During the Break - Snickers + Gatorade + Stretching + Jumping - Stretching and Jumping to increase the blood flow. Gatorade because Red Bull does not agree with me.

4. After Every 15 Questions, I'd take a little break taking a couple of deep breadths. Beware though, it requires a little practice because initially you may see that everytime you take this break, you get Q 16 - 18 wrong. So, this break has to be strategic..

• Postpone it if you are in middle of RC.
  • Reason for those 2 or 3 incorrect answers is that this break would pull me out of the zone. So, it took me some time to understand what to think about so that I do not get disconnected from the test.

Prep Strategies

1. Buy a Register/Copy - Divide it in half. Do not tear it. Copy/Register is generally Stapled in the middle. Those are your 2 halves. Use 1 to Write, with HAND, the Verbal Notes and other to Write the Quant Notes. Writing things down helps us to remember them better. Now, Following things can go into it..
    [1] New test-taking Tips and Strategies that you find/discover.
    [2] New Rules and Tricks that you find in quant and Verbal.
    [3] Rules and Concepts that you tend to forget often. (Often and Tend logically mean the same thing. So, it is redundant to use both. If you didn't know that, it goes in the copy as per the Point #2.)
    [4] Errors in your thought process because of which you get questions wrong.
    [5] Questions that messed you up badly. Such questions must be Recognized and Awarded. The best award for them is to write them down in the register with special emphasis on the crazy elements.

2. If the Prep didn't Change you, You didn't do it Correctly! It's not a test of your knowledge. It is a test of your Capabilities and Character. So, learning the concepts is not enough. You should be intelligent enough to utilize the new skills gained during the prep. Utilize them in your life. Do Not send one more mail with Grammatical Errors. Do Not argue with people mindlessly. No matter who, if you have to argue, look at their premises and conclusions and attack their assumptions if those premises are factually correct. Unlike GMAT, Premises in conversations can also be flawed. But then again, if the premise is wrong, how can the assumption be correct! Right? Use those Mathematical Principles, if you can, at work. More you implement learning from prep into your life, better you get at the test.

3. Solving a Question is just 30% of the job. So, if you want to complete the job, perform a through analysis as well. Analyzing the questions is tricky. Both Quant and Verbal warrant a different approach as they have very disparate questions.
Quant - After solving every quant question, and before looking at the OA and OE, you should think hard about the question looking for alternate ways to solve it. More the number of ways you find, better you get in that topic.
Verbal - Perform the following analysis before checking OA and OE of every question, even the ones you get right, as I recommend in Quant.
SC - Look for every single Error in the 4 wrong options. Every. Single. Error. The thing is that while solving a question, we concentrate on finding just 1 mistake in an option and then move on. But finding every mistake in every option, during analysis, makes us better in all those errors and hence contribute massively to our Confidence, Accuracy, and Speed.
CR and RC - Find mistakes in all the wrong options here as well but for these questions, also think about the edits that would make those options right, if possible.

4. Fix your Weakest Section First - Our GMAT Score is as high as our Comfort in the Weakest Section, especially for Verbal. However, this diagnosis of the weakest section is more tricky than it sounds.

5. How to diagnose the Weakest Section -
    [1] Set the correct Basis for this analysis - do not take your desired Test performance, but the performance in the last Mock you took.
    [2] We get a small number of questions from one topic. So, claiming that your weakest section is Assumption questions because you got 0/2 correct is a wrong inference. This is a Super Small Sample Size (Generally abbreviated as s^4 error)
    [3] Differentiate b/w a Silly Mistake and a Serious Mistake - Use the data from your analysis of the test. Understand (a) whether you could have answered that question without the timer. (b) which all errors can you spot before looking at the OE. These 2 things should give you a good basis to understand whether that mistake was a silly one or a serious one.
    [4] After Step 3, you would get a better idea about your most common silly mistakes and your weakest section.

6. Stay Motivated, Clam, Patient, and Confident.

Motivation doesn't last. Neither does a Bath. That's why it is recommended Daily.
GMAT is a test and test you it will! So, staying Calm even if the test gets excruciatingly difficult, which it will, is name of the game.
On some days, you wouldn't want to study at all. That's all right if those days are rare. We get exhausted and this is how our brain asks for some rest. So, be Patient, take it easy and trust yourself.
You'd perform better on some days and really bad on some other. That is also fine. There is nothing wrong with you. Just have Confidence in yourself and your capabilities. If you don't have that confidence, Fake it. It will come eventually. That's the best thing about confidence.

7. Consistency is the Key. Prep everyday. Taking an off for too many days hurts the performance.

8. If either of Anxiety and Lack of Focus is an issue, Meditation is the word for you. Mindfulness Technique exclusively addresses these issues. There are even a few apps for it.

9. Exercise Daily for at-least 20 minutes. I joined a gym with a Spa. So, I'd work-out daily and take a steam bath every other day. It not only helped me get rid of mild respiratory ailments but also kept me calm.

These are the things I believe worked for me. They may work for you as well or maybe there are other things that would work better. If you know them, great. If not, find them. This is all in the Strategy department that I could continue. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to respond. Take Care, All the Best, and Break a Leg. :thumbup:

Kudos [?]: 168 [3], given: 101

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 11:14
umg Congratulations for the score !!!!

What were your scores(esp in verbal) in different mocks that you took? My scores have been very inconsistent and I'm still unable to figure out which other mocks should i give apart from GMATPREPs'

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 168 [1], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
anujasterisk90 wrote:
umg Congratulations for the score !!!!

What were your scores(esp in verbal) in different mocks that you took? My scores have been very inconsistent and I'm still unable to figure out which other mocks should i give apart from GMATPREPs'

Hey! I took Kaplan's and Gmatclub's tests this time as I had exhausted all the tests from Manhattan, Veritas, and Gmatprep last time. I never scored more than 730 in any one of Kaplan's test and couldn't get past 690 in gmatclub's. My Verbal score in Kaplan Tests ranged from 38 to 40 and in gmatclub's from 35 to 38. Please note that these tests were taken alternately.

I have received a lot of queries, from a lot of test takers ever since I posted this debrief, about what to do if the scores are inconsistent. The most common issue has been the incorrect/insufficient analysis Mock tests. Follow the tip posted in Point No 5 of Prep Strategies inthis post. It strategy would not only give you a fair idea of your weak areas but also help you get better during the analysis itself.

Pro Tip
- I think I forgot to mention this one - I would practice solving 12 IR Questions in 30 minutes before I would start my Mock Test and then take Verbal as the 1st section because I was not as comfortable in Verbal as I was in Quant.
I can write another 100 words to describe why this strategy worked for me but I think it would be sufficient to say that Last Year, GMAC Experimented with 4 Different Section Orders and Permitted us, this year, 3 out of them claiming that data shows that these Section Orders do not impact the GMAT Scores. So, I just tried to game the system :wink:

Kudos [?]: 168 [1], given: 101

Re: From 720 to 750 - A difficult plateau to overcome   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 04:33