It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 4

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2009, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:07) correct 33% (01:13) wrong based on 4704 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Edit: This discussion has retired. Find the new thread HERE

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by souvik101990 on 19 Jul 2017, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
Formatting

Kudos [?]: 233 [2], given: 4

4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 430 [4], given: 412

GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2009, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
Error Analysis:

Questions to ask here are

1) what are the X & Y for between (between X & Y).
2) what does IT refer to.

B: THEM reference is wrong(it should be IT) - referring to Language
D: "between X or Y" is wrong. THEM reference is wrong(it should be IT) - referring to Language
E: "between X or Y" is wrong. "but those who have tried to Count" is not Clause t
C: but those who have tried to Count(Present Continuous) , typically find (Simple Present) - Wrong

Last edited by RaviChandra on 23 Aug 2015, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 430 [4], given: 412

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [3], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2010, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty (of? ) distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found -- It correctly refers to languages - CORRECT

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding -- them is incorrectly refering to singular language + " with those who have " - wordy construction

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find -- IT corrcetly refers to singular language in first part, second IT incorrectly refers to " MANY LANGUAGES"

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found -- Incorrect use of between - correct use is " between X and Y " not " between X or Y "

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding -- Incorrect use of between - correct use is " between X and Y " not " between X or Y "

Kudos [?]: 5 [3], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2012, 19:16
I have chosen A for this question:

There are many ways to split the answer choices. Firstly, the use of "or" is incorrect because you are trying to distinguish between 2 elements - a language and sublanguage/dialect. You can also see the use of "with those..." which makes no sense because this prepositional phrase doesn't create a logical connection. Finally, pronoun usage of "it" versus "them."

A. This answer choices uses the correct pronoun "it" to refer to language. It also uses the correct coordinating conjunction "but" to show a contrast between the separate thoughts in the sentence. Finally, the tenses make sense - present perfect for both "have tried" and "have found."

B. The use of the pronoun "them" is incorrect because this word is supposed to refer to the singular language. Also, "with..." is a prepositional phrase that becomes confusing and does not state the contrast in thoughts. Finally, the modifier "finding" should in fact be a verb - I'm not sure what it modifies.

C. The use of the second "it" refers back to the "languages" in the first portion of the sentence. This is an error.

D. The use of "or" is incorrect here. Also, the use of "them" is incorrect because it is supposed to refer to the singular language.

E. Again, the use of "or" is wrong here. "Them" refers to the singular language - this is incorrect.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 5

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 32 [2], given: 54

Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 04:11
This post received
KUDOS
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty (of? ) distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found
B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding
C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find
D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found
E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding

There are 2 clauses in the SC

1.Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly .because of the difficulty (of? ) distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it

2. but those who have tried to count typically have found
about five thousand.

In the first clause subject is 'languages' and verb is 'are', SV agreement is correct .Between is used for comparing two things ,here the usage is correct since because in in underlined portion so the comparison between "a language and languages is correct ".

From the above explanation we can zero down A,B and C.

In the second clause the split is within found/find/finding.... in the second clause the verb "tried" is past tense so using found is appropriate in this context

SO finally the answer is "A"

note: Sorry if I am wrong in explanation ,please correct.I have tried my level best.

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Kudos [?]: 32 [2], given: 54

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 276 [3], given: 59

GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2013, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
pavanpaone wrote:

There are 2 clauses in the SC

1.Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly .because of the difficulty (of? ) distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it

2. but those who have tried to count typically have found
about five thousand.

In the first clause subject is 'languages' and verb is 'are', SV agreement is correct .Between is used for comparing two things ,here the usage is correct since because in in underlined portion so the comparison between "a language and languages is correct ".

From the above explanation we can zero down A,B and C.

In the second clause the split is within found/find/finding.... in the second clause the verb "tried" is past tense so using found is appropriate in this context

SO finally the answer is "A"

note: Sorry if I am wrong in explanation ,please correct.I have tried my level best.

Hi pavan,

Note the following:

Glad to see your explanation mostly correct, just a few tweakings
There are actually 3 clauses (see the one highlighted above)

We can take down choices to only A or C - reason if you note carefully, the highlighted clause, the pronoun must refer to "a language" - think carefully, is the author referring to dialects withing "the sub languages" or is he/she referring to "sublanguages/dialects within language" - the answer is the latter part, thus we need to use "it"

Hope I could help
Happy going with E-Gmat

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Kudos [?]: 276 [3], given: 59

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8178 [1], given: 100

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2013, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sunainaluthra wrote:
I selected correct answer choice A. But my doubt is if one of the answer choice was:

and the sub languages or dialects within it. but those who tried to count found

would this be correct in the context of the question? I feel am overlooking a very simple concept but just not able to get my head around this. Any help is much appreciated.

Dear sunainaluthra,
That's a great question, and I am happy to help. :-)
In the phrase "those who tried to count typically found ...", those verbs are in the simple past tense. This contains the subtle implication that these efforts took place in the past, but no one is even trying to answer this question any more. It's a done deal. In other words, academically, it's a dead question, no longer pursued in any way.

In the phrase those "who have tried to count typically have found ... ", those verb are in the present perfect tense. See this blog article on the perfect tenses:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verb- ... ct-tenses/
This has the subtle implication that the effort to count was started in the past but still, somehow, is under way --- that folks today are still, in some way, wrestling with this question. Academically, it's a living question.

Within the context of the question, we don't have much way to decide between these two, other than what's in the underlined section. If (A) contained the present perfect tenses but were incorrect for some unrelated reason, so that we had to look for another answer, then I would say that a choice with the simple past would change the meaning too much to be a correct answer, but the GMAT is not going to have a subtle connotation such as this as the only deciding factor separating answer choices. If the prompt and the answers consistent made one of these two choices, either one would be grammatically correct.

I imagine, since the OG opted for the present perfect, that the question is still an open, living, debated question in academia today. The GMAT SC sentences usually reflect real-world facts. Of course, there would be absolutely no way you would be expected to know this real-world fact independently.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8178 [1], given: 100

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 82

GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2014, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
My Approach - difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub languages or dialects within it.
Use of It is correct, that eliminates B, D, E.
Between A and C, the use of have tried to count typically have found is better than
tried counting it typically find
C is changing the tense in this part and is incorrect.
Hence A is correct

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 82

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 301 [1], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2014, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
cs2209 wrote:
C is changing the tense in this part and is incorrect.
Hence A is correct

Yes, and there is another substantial issue with C. It says:

...but those who have tried counting it typically find...

No instance of the infamous it should never go unnoticed. What does it refer to here? Well perhaps one of the following two entities:

a) Languages (plural): If the intent of it is to refer to languages, then the usage of it is incorrect, since it (a singular pronoun) cannot refer to languages (a plural noun). So, the least that should have been present in the sentence is them and not it.

Or

b) Number of languages (singular): If the intent of it is to refer to number of languages, then the usage of is again incorrect, since the phrase number of languages is not present anywhere in the sentence. Note that pronouns can only refer to nouns that are present in the sentence; number of languages is not present.

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses this concept of pronouns, its application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 301 [1], given: 11

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Og 13 SC 93 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 04:07
margarette

I checked the video on youtube explaining the analysis for this SC question.
Good works !!

I have a small doubt that what is the role of "but" in this sentence , generally we have Not Only X but Also Y . I could not get a complete hold of this sentence however based on other issues i was able to make out the correct answer choice.
Kindly enlighten me !!

Thank You,
Lucky
Attachments

maghoosh.jpg
maghoosh.jpg [ 72.15 KiB | Viewed 3749 times ]

Thanks,
Lucky

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 57

Re: Og 13 SC 93 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 05:59
Lucky2783 wrote:
margarette

I checked the video on youtube explaining the analysis for this SC question.
Good works !!

I have a small doubt that what is the role of "but" in this sentence , generally we have Not Only X but Also Y . I could not get a complete hold of this sentence however based on other issues i was able to make out the correct answer choice.
Kindly enlighten me !!

Thank You,
Lucky

Hi There!

So, you want to know about the role of "but" in this sentence? I think it may be helpful to know a little about the "why" we use this word in the first place.

But is a coordinating conjunction ~ a word that connects (conjoins) parts of a sentence. There are 7 of these words that we use in the English language:

For-And-Nor-But-Or-Yet-So ---> And, the boldfaced letters put together give us the helpful acronym FANBOYS.

Now, how are coordinating conjunctions used?
Well, for starters, they can be used to list items. This is probably this most common type. "I like cheeseburgers and french fries." Boom. There we go.
Usually, they are also used to connect two independent clauses: Clauses that can independently stand on their own as a complete sentence.
For instance: "Chuckie wants to play basketball for Auburn, but he has had trouble meeting the academic requirements."
Two independent clauses that can completely stand on their own, but they are joined together by the word "but."

Moreover, the other way we can use the word "but" is in expressing a contrast:
"This is a useful rule, but difficult to remember."
As you can see, the usage of "but" in this example is similar to the sentence that you presented for question.

"Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand."

We have two independent clauses joined together by the conjunction "but," and the conjunction is expressing contrast between the two clauses.
The first clause expresses that nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, whereas the second clause tells us that there are people who actually have tried counting them.

I highly recommend you check out Manhattan GMAT's Sentence Correction book as it has a neat little section that perfectly covers the usage of FANBOYS on the GMAT.

Hope That Helped! :)

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 57

1 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 8807 [1], given: 1139

Re: Og 13 SC 93 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2015, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
Follow the forum rules for posting in gmat verbal section

rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html

In particular rule #3 and # 6

3. Give a Topic Name (IMPORTANT).
- Use the first sentence of the question or a string of words exactly as they show up in the question. You get 40 characters. Use them all to help with the search & similar topics feature! Please do not post something like this (a title "CR6!!", I keep it around as an example)

6. TYPE the Question in as Text.
- Do not post pictures of questions. There is no acceptance for question with picture. We - moderators and admin - will delete and warn the authors in case of posting image..

Post locked

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 8807 [1], given: 1139

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 12:15
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

Correct
Usage of "them" is not correct must be singular + with those who have is wordy consttruction + tried in past must settle down with found instead of finding.
Usage of second "it" is wrong.+ find must be found.
Idiom is between.....and +usage of "them" is wrong
Same as D

Hence A
Ans!

Regards
SG

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 23:18
apoorv601 wrote:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty of distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found about five thousand.

Can somebody explain i option A - ",but" makes the second clause as independent clause but i don't think it is independent as it does not complete in itself?

It is an independent clause. Let's break the structure:

Subject verb
those who have tried to count typically have found

Who have found..? those who have tried to count
Here the subject is a clause.

Relate this structure with "he has found". "He has found" is an independent clause. Similarly, this one too is an independent clause.

Does it help?

Dolly Sharma

Last edited by DollySharma on 16 Jun 2015, 03:23, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 15:00
"Between" is always coupled with "and"; so we are left with options A, B and C.
In option B, the segment "counting typically finding", is wrong, because a continuous tense should be followed by a simple tense.
In option C, the segment "but those who have tried counting it typically find" is wrong. It says people who have already tried, indicating that the action has taken place in the past, hence, the placement of a present tense, "find" is wrong.

Option A has no such errors. Hence, it is the answer.

-Please give me KUDOS, if my posts help you in anyway.
-Please PM me any doubts which you might have, and I will do my level best to help. :)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2016, 23:57
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

1) Distinguishing between a language and sub-languages or dialects within it -> it is correct as the sub-languages or dialects are under a single language.

Correct

1) Point number 1
2) Finding is a gerund and not a verb. We require a verb here

1) "Count it". It refers to a single language. How a person count a single language.
2) Find -> Simple present and it provides a meaning as if the number of count will always be true. So it I count the number of languages 10 years from now, we will still get 5000. Which is not the meaning of the sentence.

1) them -> Point # 1 above
2) Between takes "And" and not "or"

1) them -> Point # 1 above
2) Between takes "And" and not "or
3) Finding is a gerund and not a verb. We require a verb here

Reach out to us at bondwithus@gmatify.com

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 10

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 11:58
This post received
KUDOS
apoorv601 wrote:

A. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried to count typically have found - Correct

1. Them - sub-languages or dialects are within LanguagE and not LanguagES.
2. With - We need Contrast here.
3. Finding - We need a verb and finding is not a verb

1. Counting - Should be infinitive - to count. As it is, "counting" is a participle modifying the verb - have tried.
2. it - The referent here is LanguageS.

1. Or - Changing the meaning. Should be - and.
2. them - Same as option B.
3. but those who tried to count them typically found - Change in Tense means that those who are trying to count the # of languages at Present are not included.

1. Or - Same as D
2. them - Same as B
3. With - Same as B
4. Finding - Again, same as B

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 101

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 05:28
dear experts,

I have a question that confused me a lot .

because I got an idea that pronoun in modifier is incorrect,

for example:
The book that I read it yesterday was exciting-- pronoun "it" is redundant, because that stands for "the book", it stands for "the" book as well, -- incorrect
this my understanding for this rule.

I am not sure whether the rule is always incorrect?
are they correct, if
nobody knows how many languages in the world, but those who try to count the languages have found five thousand.
nobody knows how many languages in the world, but those who try to count them have found five thousand.

thanks a lot.
have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 07:14
PLURAL, SINGULAR, PLURAL.

SPLIT1) IDIOM. BETWEEN X AND Y. D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT2) SVA. THE FIRST SINGULAR PRONOUN "IT" REFERS TO THE SINGULAR NOUN "LANGUAGE". B, D AND E ARE OUT.

SPLIT3) IDIOM. TRIED+INFINITIVE. B AND C ARE OUT.

SPLIT4) THE SECOND "IT" IN THE SECOND PART OF THE SENTENCE IS WRONG BECAUSE IN THE 2ND PART WE ARE REFERRING TO NOUN "LANGUAGES" SO THE PRONOUN "THEM" IS THE CORRECT PRONOUN. C IS OUT.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 19:11

B. and the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried counting typically finding them changes meaning, it's not people

C. and the sub-languages or dialects within it, but those who have tried counting it typically find tense issue

D. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, but those who tried to count them typically found ( x and y language or dialects )

E. or the sub-languages or dialects within them, with those who have tried to count typically finding ( same as D )

Distinguishing between x and y Idiom
A

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 101

Re: Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2017, 19:11

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap