GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 20 May 2018, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Debrief: 780 (Q50, V50, IR8) with 30 days prep, first attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT Debrief: 780 (Q50, V50, IR8) with 30 days prep, first attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 06:59
eternaloptimist wrote:
adkikani

Hey man, glad you found it useful. To address your points:

1. Honestly I didn't see the point in paying for more GMATPrep tests mainly because these tests do not have explanations for right/wrong answers, unlike the Manhattan CATs which have a thorough explanation for every question and EACH possible answer to the question. very useful. So I mainly treated the 2 free GMATPrep tests as gauges to make sure I was on the right track, not for learning.

2. Manhattan V is about the same or slightly harder than GMATPrep V. In fact there were some CR/RC questions on the actual exam which were on par with some of the hardest Manhattan V questions I had seen: I actually ended up almost running time on the exam V when I consistently finished with 15-20 minutes left on Manhattan V. so be prepared.

3. For RC don't get too caught up in the details early and try to understand the overall direction the passage is taking before getting into the nitty-gritty. For the science-y RC questions, try to visualise in your head the process of the cell/animal ecosystem/ spacey thing which the passage is describing, it will make it easier when answering questions related to it. Also just try to force yourself to feel interested in whatever topic/process the passage is describing no matter how boring it seems, this just helps in terms of understanding it fast.

For CR, have a rock solid understanding of what are premises, conclusions, observations, assumptions, etc. These are where you will slip up. Manhattan helps with this (also with RC reading), but beware of some of the Manhattan CR/RC strategies, they are a bit weird and specific and might slow you down if you follow them religiously.

4. For the mock exams, they all came with their individual timers for each section. I tried to hit 2 min per question for Q. For V I never ran out of time (until almost at the actual exam!) so I never really had to do the same, but I would say likewise, try for 21 questions by 37 minutes, and 32 questions by the time you have 18 minutes left.

5. For the non-mock questions (in the OG/Manhattan books themselves), just take your time, no need to panic as long as you are doing it properly and find the right technique. As for your question of whether it can be attributed to panic or lack of concepts, I think of it this way: if you are even in the situation where you are running out of time and are panicking, it means that you had a lack of concepts for previous questions that slowed you down. The GMAT is not just about getting the right answer, but also using the best technique that lets you do the question with minimal time. For example, I can confidently say I can do any question involving primes / factorizations / greatest common multiple now in maximum 45 seconds, because of the clarification of concepts that I got from Manhattan's books. Each would have taken me close to 3 minutes before. (Man, I sound like a Manhattan Prep salesman but some of their books are really that critical.)

6. For the first 3 mocks I had been doing V-->Q --> IR/AWA because I had read that you should start with your strength first, and for me that was Verbal. But I realised this tired me out by the time it got to Q which was partially why I kept running out of time during the CATs. So I swapped to Q--> V --> IR/AWA for the rest of my mocks as well the actual exam. Argh, don't know why I got a Q 50 actually, I thought I had gotten them all correct but I guess I will have to wait for the breakdown within 20 days time?

Hope that helps

Hi eternaloptimist! First and foremost, thank you for sharing your experience!

I'm having a hard time to do SC questions on time, as well as, suffering to find a good strategy on RC, can you help me? Can you throw some light in these issues?

I read Manhattan Prep books (SC - twice), but that's not helping...

Would you be willing to talk (Skype)?

Tks a lot!
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Debrief: 780 (Q50, V50, IR8) with 30 days prep, first attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 19:54
eternaloptimist

Excellent debrief and congratulations on such an amazing score.

Thanks for the inputs regarding RC and CR sections. Your verbal score is very rare and such an inspiration.

All the best for your applications.

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.3
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Debrief: 780 (Q50, V50, IR8) with 30 days prep, first attempt [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi eternaloptimist,

I also received a perfectly answered V50 last November. I reached out to GMAC and they got back to me revising my verbal score to a 51. I went from Q51 V50 790 => Q51 V51 790. I missed one question on quant so it looks like 100% correct is the cutoff for 800, but I imagine you should receive a bump in your score to 790. If Q51 V50 is deserving of a 790, for sure Q50 V51 is. In any case, you have achieved an amazing score! Congratulations!
Re: GMAT Debrief: 780 (Q50, V50, IR8) with 30 days prep, first attempt   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2018, 21:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

GMAT Debrief: 780 (Q50, V50, IR8) with 30 days prep, first attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR MAY
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until May 31
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap