GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gmat debrief (q 49-v 42)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GRE 1: Q167 V159
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Gmat debrief (q 49-v 42)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 02:24
I took the Gmat on 30th Oct last year and managed a score of 740 ( q49,v 42)
I had been preparing on and off for quite a few months. and this was not my first attempt either.
After the previous two attempts, where I score 710 and 720, I realized that the problem area for me was time management.
I had used various materials for my preparations.I have mentioned them below:-

Quant:
Manhattan Guides
OG
Gmat club tests.

Verbal
OG
Manhattan guide for SC
E-gmat Verbal

I realized that these are enough to get a score of 700+. However, one thing that should be kept in mind is time management.
In my earlier attempts, I fared poorly in my verbal scores (v 39,v32) because in the end I wouldn't get enough time to finish the questions and I would have to blindly guess and move on.
However in my latest attempt, I decided not to second guess my answers and once selected, I would simply move on to the next question without thinking about the answer again. This worked brilliantly for me as I managed to finish the questions on time and scored a V 42.

For quant, I can't thank GMAT club tests enough. They had a set of really great questions which are somewhat tougher than actual GMAT. By preparing from these, one can gain enough confidence to ace the exam on the D-day. They have many new concepts which are difficult to find in some other source and some of the short cuts to solve the questions are just brilliant. Those help to save a lot of time on the actual exam. Besides them, Manhattan guides are the best to clear the basic concepts well.I would highly recommend those guides for someone who is just starting out on his Gmat journey.

For Verbal,I extensively used the egmat course and scholarium. The tutorial videos are very well prepared and clear things out starting from the basics. This was required for me as am a non-native English speaker. After going through the course I practiced a lot from scholarium. The format is good and the questions are well divided into different level of proficiency from easy to hard. Start with the easy ones and make your way to the difficult ones. The explanations given are very comprehensive and easy to understand.

One great habit I inculcated for SC questions was that whenever I found a question and couldn't solve it,I would copy the whole question and search on google.I would almost always find a link of the question discussion on Manhattan forums and most of the questions had explanations by Ron Purewal. And be rest assured that his explanations were brilliant and insightful.They would always clear my doubts.

Apart from these, I found tons of material to practice from on the Gmat club forum. The error log and timers are very helpful. I used to bookmark the questions so that I could revise them later on.
Especially for quant,I found the explanations by Bunuel very precise and helpful.

Additional to these I purchased the official practice tests from the Mba.com.However I found that the practice tests were relatively easier from the actual exam as far as Quant is concerned.I got multiple scores of 770 on those tests but ended up getting only 740 on the actual test. I didn't use any other mock tests from any other company.

All these things helped me to get to a score of 740.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Gmat debrief (q 49-v 42)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Mar 2019, 09:44
Congratulations rkbrohit90

Thanks for your precise and to-the-point debrief.

I would like to ask, in the actual GMAT, what is the proportion of easy:medium:hard questions that you found in the test?
You relied on GMATclub in your studying, so you can give an opinion with respect to the same classification of the questions on the club.

I know the question is very subjective and may differ from one test to another, but your opinion is still appreciated.

Also, I would like if you could highlight in more details how your verbal became v42 from v32, concerning the CR and RC.

Originally posted by Mahmoudfawzy83 on 17 Mar 2019, 04:46.
Last edited by Mahmoudfawzy83 on 18 Mar 2019, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Gmat debrief (q 49-v 42)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 08:41
rkbrohit90, Congrats for nice score.
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2019, 09:06
I would like ask to ask a question .now a days many people said that gmat quant is becoming tougher than before.
Is it true?

Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 09:36
rkbrohit90 wrote:
I took the Gmat on 30th Oct last year and managed a score of 740 ( q49,v 42)
I had been preparing on and off for quite a few months. and this was not my first attempt either.
After the previous two attempts, where I score 710 and 720, I realized that the problem area for me was time management.
I had used various materials for my preparations.I have mentioned them below:-

Quant:
Manhattan Guides
OG
Gmat club tests.

Verbal
OG
Manhattan guide for SC
E-gmat Verbal

I realized that these are enough to get a score of 700+. However, one thing that should be kept in mind is time management.
In my earlier attempts, I fared poorly in my verbal scores (v 39,v32) because in the end I wouldn't get enough time to finish the questions and I would have to blindly guess and move on.
However in my latest attempt, I decided not to second guess my answers and once selected, I would simply move on to the next question without thinking about the answer again. This worked brilliantly for me as I managed to finish the questions on time and scored a V 42.

For quant, I can't thank GMAT club tests enough. They had a set of really great questions which are somewhat tougher than actual GMAT. By preparing from these, one can gain enough confidence to ace the exam on the D-day. They have many new concepts which are difficult to find in some other source and some of the short cuts to solve the questions are just brilliant. Those help to save a lot of time on the actual exam. Besides them, Manhattan guides are the best to clear the basic concepts well.I would highly recommend those guides for someone who is just starting out on his Gmat journey.

For Verbal,I extensively used the egmat course and scholarium. The tutorial videos are very well prepared and clear things out starting from the basics. This was required for me as am a non-native English speaker. After going through the course I practiced a lot from scholarium. The format is good and the questions are well divided into different level of proficiency from easy to hard. Start with the easy ones and make your way to the difficult ones. The explanations given are very comprehensive and easy to understand.

One great habit I inculcated for SC questions was that whenever I found a question and couldn't solve it,I would copy the whole question and search on google.I would almost always find a link of the question discussion on Manhattan forums and most of the questions had explanations by Ron Purewal. And be rest assured that his explanations were brilliant and insightful.They would always clear my doubts.

Apart from these, I found tons of material to practice from on the Gmat club forum. The error log and timers are very helpful. I used to bookmark the questions so that I could revise them later on.
Especially for quant,I found the explanations by Bunuel very precise and helpful.

Additional to these I purchased the official practice tests from the Mba.com.However I found that the practice tests were relatively easier from the actual exam as far as Quant is concerned.I got multiple scores of 770 on those tests but ended up getting only 740 on the actual test. I didn't use any other mock tests from any other company.

All these things helped me to get to a score of 740.

Congratulations on a wonderful score. Thanks for a very nice debrief. You make nice points and provide useful insights.

All the best for your admissions!!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 06:09
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:

Thanks for your precise and to-the-point debrief.

I would like to ask, in the actual GMAT, what is the proportion of easy:medium:hard questions that you found in the test?
You relied on GMATclub in your studying, so you can give an opinion with respect to the same classification of the questions on the club.

I know the question is very subjective and may differ from one test to another, but your opinion is still appreciated.

Also, I would like if you could highlight in more details how your verbal became v42 from v32, concerning the CR and RC.

Hey

It depends on how you are performing on the test.If you are getting many correct answers then the test will throw more difficult questions at you and if not then easier.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 06:10
Noshad wrote:
I would like ask to ask a question .now a days many people said that gmat quant is becoming tougher than before.
Is it true?

It would be difficult for me to say as I have taken the test only recently so I don't have anything to compare it with.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Gmat debrief (q 49-v 42)   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2019, 06:10

Gmat debrief (q 49-v 42)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap