GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 May 2019, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How important is IR?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
How important is IR?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 12:48
Hello everybody,

I took the GMAT a few weeks ago and scored 730 (50Q, 40V), 5.5 in AWA. Unfortunately during my IR part, the computer bugged and the dropdown menu of a question did not work. Because of this I lost 2-3 minutes in total during IR. The computer was reset and I continued the test normally. Unfortunately, because of this I scored a 3 in IR.
I wanted to ask you: is it really worth retaking the exam? Would this IR score really have an impact? Does the IR really matter in MBA applications?

Or should I just do an item challenge about the IR?

Thank you so much in advance!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How important is IR?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 12:57
While the IR impact on admission is still somewhat vague (this section was first introduced in 2012), many believe that having a lower than "normal" IR score is a red flag. This is a school by school situation and adcom by adcom. To be safe, you would retake it unfortunately and have to waste another day on this. I would suggest rescheduling the test ASAP so you are still "fresh". I would probably not recommend complaining to the GMAC since if they honor your case, they will cancel your score and it won't be reportable.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 22:03
matt93london wrote:
Hello everybody,

I took the GMAT a few weeks ago and scored 730 (50Q, 40V), 5.5 in AWA. Unfortunately during my IR part, the computer bugged and the dropdown menu of a question did not work. Because of this I lost 2-3 minutes in total during IR. The computer was reset and I continued the test normally. Unfortunately, because of this I scored a 3 in IR.
I wanted to ask you: is it really worth retaking the exam? Would this IR score really have an impact? Does the IR really matter in MBA applications?

Or should I just do an item challenge about the IR?

Thank you so much in advance!
IR has been around for more than 5 years now, and I think it is being used much more extensively now than when it was first introduced.

I think you should go ahead and tell Pearson about the loss of time. Here in India I've seen cases where test takers were offered retakes (together with cancellation of the original score). While that is clearly not a great outcome given that you got a 730 (congrats :)), this post indicates that they also offer retakes without canceling the original attempt. If I remember correctly, you have a month in which to do this.

I suggest you get the process started so that you can retake the GMAT if necessary. If everything goes well, you'll have another attempt in hand. You certainly can't lose your 730, as they can't cancel that score without your explicit authorization. Use this time to get a better idea about how IR is used by your target schools and then decide what you want to do next.

Who knows, maybe that 730 will also go up if you take the exam again :-D
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 06:03
Thanks a lot to both of you!

The thing that bothers me a bit is that universities publish absolutely nothing about IR in general and IR scores in the class profile. So I really do wonder whether about its importance! But thanks a lot again.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 09:11
They do t post anything but there are member reports of IR low score questions coming up in interviews.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 01:31
bb wrote:
They do t post anything but there are member reports of IR low score questions coming up in interviews.

Posted from my mobile device

Yes I guess that makes sense, thanks again!
Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Science (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 02:40
It will depend entirely on which school you apply to. 730 for INSEAD with 3 years of WE might cause them to red flag you and find a potential flaw but a school with an average of 690 will happily accept your score. You obviously have some sound advice above...whether it is about being able to retake the exam or cancel this score.

Just saying, if you are already competitive, you might be better off spending your time on other aspects of the application like essays and interviews. Use your own discretion here.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 02:48
plk10 wrote:
It will depend entirely on which school you apply to. 730 for INSEAD with 3 years of WE might cause them to red flag you and find a potential flaw but a school with an average of 690 will happily accept your score. You obviously have some sound advice above...whether it is about being able to retake the exam or cancel this score.

Just saying, if you are already competitive, you might be better off spending your time on other aspects of the application like essays and interviews. Use your own discretion here.

Thanks for your reply! INSEAD is the only school that "suggests" to score a 6 though. I am mostly aiming at M7
Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Science (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 02:54
matt93london wrote:
plk10 wrote:

Thanks for your reply! INSEAD is the only school that "suggests" to score a 6 though. I am mostly aiming at M7

In that case, definitely go for the re-write (whether it is on Pearson's dime or yours). They are extremely competitive and every little bit helps.
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 06:23
matt93london wrote:
plk10 wrote:

You must put your best application for M7 as these schools are extremely competitive and you dont want to miss out just because of a 'small' matter of IR score. All of us can only speculate on what is the relative importance of the IR section but you wont really know what dinged you. So dont take that chance and give your GMAT with the best you can do across ALL sections.
Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 04:34
I concur with Engr2012 's thoughts. If M7 is what you are aiming for, I'd highly recommend retaking the exam.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 07:09
keats wrote:
I concur with Engr2012 's thoughts. If M7 is what you are aiming for, I'd highly recommend retaking the exam.

Don't you think retaking the exam just for the integrated reasoning would waste time I could otherwise use to write good essays? I am trying to understand how certain one can be the IR can raise a red flag when no stats are published.
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 07:59
matt93london wrote:
keats wrote:

Don't you think retaking the exam just for the integrated reasoning would waste time I could otherwise use to write good essays? I am trying to understand how certain one can be the IR can raise a red flag when no stats are published.

Fair point, but to be absolutely blunt here, you are wasting your time asking this question here when no one here is remotely qualified to tell you with absolute certainty that IR wont matter for M7 application. Not even I, who is already studying at an M7 will be able to tell you that low IR score will not raise a flag, unfortunately. You can take that risk and it will be your call at the end of the day. Keats and I just mentioned what we personally think about the application process. Per the stats, the acceptance rates to M7 hover between 9%-20% and with this low percentage, its entirely your call to take that chance. People with low GMAT or GPA usually use the optional essays to tackle the low score issue head on without giving another GMAT or trying to create an alternative transcript.

TL;DR: Take a call, either give GMAT to improve your IR score when GMAT is still fresh in your mind or let it go but do answer this question proactively in your optional essays. Either strategy has been shown to be effective in the last few years. If you think rest of your application will plug in all the 'gaps' with your low IR score, then, yes, dont waste your time on another GMAT.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How important is IR?   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2017, 07:59

How important is IR?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap