It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 02:27

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2012, 06:40
A/B - in part - not parallel
C - 'steers acquiring certain characteristics' - steers cannot acquire characteristics themselves - changes the meaning
D - 'should be' - changes the meaning from uncertainty to certainty and the same error as above. 'certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers' - this seems to mean that cattle breeders will help in cross breeding and it is in the steers' effort to acquire certain characteristics, whereas the intended meaning is different.

IMO E.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94
Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2012, 04:26
I finally know even options like D fit in perfectly in structure, but E, though unparallel, is ultimately the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 239

GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2012, 05:09
My learning:
Got to take meaning in to consideration as well. I picked E first. it sounded better but chose C because E wasn't (obviously) parallel but C seemed to even though meaning was awkward. Thanks for the explanation T :)

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 239

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2012, 01:55
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

What an annoying question! I was asked to take this on by private message, and I see why it's bothered so many of you. Let's discuss

204. In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should
acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

The thing to remember about PARALLELISM (which is the issue here) is that it is ALL about the parallel markers. You're more concerned with the single word that comes after the parallel marker. From there, things get iffy. The parallel marker here is AND, and the word after it is PARTLY. That's your parallelism. You gotta have another "partly".

(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and the "should". This isn't about what "should" happen. The breeders do it SO THAT the steer will acquire certain characteristics.

(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
PROBLEM: Both the "partly" issue and an odd idiom. You don't do something "for the acquisition" of something else, but "in order to acquire" something else.

(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
PROBLEM: They don't do it "because of their steers acquiring..." that sounds like they crossbreed AFTER the steers have acquired the characteristics. But they do it IN ORDER that the steers might acquire the characteristics.

(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
PROBLEM: I know we all want this one because it says "partly because" and doesn't sound as bad as C, but the "should" is still a meaning issue. There's no question of SHOULD here. The issue is meaning. The breeders crossbreed because they WANT something to happen.

(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers
ANSWER: Yes, I know it isn't as parallel as we'd like. It would be nice to say "partly to X" and "partly to Y" OR "partly because of X" and "partly because of Y". But we don't get that option. This is still parallel enough (with the two "partly"s), and from there it's all about meaning.

Tough one! Hope that helps.

-tommy

Partly to acquire characteristics sounds like breeders would acquire the characteristics. No?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

1 KUDOS received
HEC Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [1], given: 24

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
B) in part for the acquisition of certain characterisitcs in their steers
C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain charcteristics
D) partly because certain characterisitcs should be acquired by their steers
E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

Although I know D is wordy but shouldn't we be giving utmost importance to the Idiomatic Correction - partly because... and partly because ?

Last edited by Zarrolou on 10 Jun 2013, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic.

Kudos [?]: 56 [1], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 10:42
"partly to" is a perfectly fine idiom as well, assuming it's followed by a verb.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-09-2014
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 11:10
I also feel Idiomatic Partly because .... partly because should be right correction.

Ans D

Yours Kudos will help me to access CATs.... Your novelty i aspire for.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

HEC Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 12:01
dave785 wrote:
"partly to" is a perfectly fine idiom as well, assuming it's followed by a verb.

Okay. But then again, would not 'partly to...and partly because....' be counted as a parallelism error? Or can we assume the parallelism between partly <reason> and partly <reason> to be sufficient?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 15:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

Although I know D is wordy but shouldn't we be giving utmost importance to the Idiomatic Correction - partly because... and partly because ?

partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers

No D is incorrect because it changes the intended meaning.

Cross breeding is done to acquire to certain characteristics and not characterisitcs should be acquired by their steers.

Secondly, it is passive : it violates parallelism principles which says both should have the same logical structure.

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 35 [2], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-25-2013

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
nikhil.jones.s wrote:

We can eliminate A and B as they contain the incorrect idiom 'in part".

In C,D and E

'their' in C is ambiguous.

We can eliminate D because of the passive construction.
E is correct as it has 'to acquire' is parallel with 'to provide'

Kudos [?]: 35 [2], given: 8

HEC Thread Master
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 21:17
Countdown wrote:
nikhil.jones.s wrote:

In C,D and E

Yea i can now understand why D should be eliminated and hence E would therefore be the standalone answer. But, would it be right to say that in E "partly to acquire... and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide..." parallelism is sustained. Isn't it supposed to be "partly A and partly B", where A and B, belong to the same time frame(tense), voice, and subject ? I am unable to comprehend how E potrays parallelism here.

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2013, 04:52
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
Countdown wrote:
nikhil.jones.s wrote:

In C,D and E

Yea i can now understand why D should be eliminated and hence E would therefore be the standalone answer. But, would it be right to say that in E "partly to acquire... and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide..." parallelism is sustained. Isn't it supposed to be "partly A and partly B", where A and B, belong to the same time frame(tense), voice, and subject ? I am unable to comprehend how E potrays parallelism here.

It does not, E is correct simply, because it is the best answer choice available :)

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2013, 08:49
"to acquire" in e is caused by subject "breeder". this is correct
"for acquisition" in b refers to a general action which is not caused by any noun in the main clause. this is not logic.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1858 [2], given: 289

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreading, in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics and partly because crossbreading is said to provide hybrid vigor.

A. in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
B. in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
C. partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
D. partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
E. partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

Kudos [?]: 1858 [2], given: 289

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 18:10
Using "partly" twice in a sentence seemed awkward and I had eliminated C,D,E right away. But I guess it is a valid formation.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 19:07
infotalk wrote:
Using "partly" twice in a sentence seemed awkward and I had eliminated C,D,E right away. But I guess it is a valid formation.

My friend i gotta disagree with you on that one, partly x, partly y is parallel not awkward, .

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 19:15
murilomoraes wrote:
infotalk wrote:

My friend i gotta disagree with you on that one, partly x, partly y is parallel not awkward, .

Well now I know that now after answering the question incorrectly :). But it felt a little awkward. May be I have never heard or paid attention to it that way in my experience.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 19:34
infotalk wrote:
murilomoraes wrote:
infotalk wrote:

Well now I know that now after answering the question incorrectly :). But it felt a little awkward. May be I have never heard or paid attention to it that way in my experience.

Probably yes, i think the Official Guide 12 have one question like this, and the verbal review too

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers

[Reveal] Spoiler: Error Analysis:
Error Analysis:

in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
and
partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

There sentence has parallel construction error , non underline portion after and starts with partly , so the underline portion also start with partly.
and in this case connect 2 clause in the sentence.

A- As discussed above
B- same parallel issue
C- change the meaning acquiring now tries to modify steers and purpose is lost here
D- should be change the meaning
E- Seems correct but the issue here is first half of the and is not clause. "partly to acquire certain characteristics in their
steers" where second part is "partly because crossbreeding {subject} is {verb} said to provide hybrid vigor

Last edited by PiyushK on 20 Jul 2014, 04:11, edited 3 times in total.
edited subject and format

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2014, 21:10
a13ssandra wrote:
Shouldn't "D" be the correct answer? Its parallel, concise and clear.

D change the meaning of the sentence , the "cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding for the purpose of 2 things
1. to acquire certain characteristics
2. to provide hybrid vigor

using should distort the meaning , as it is now saying steers will acquired the characteristics , and it is absolutely not the original sentence is saying.
So it is not logically parallel , from grammatical point of view to+verb of the second part of and should parallel with the first part.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: In recent years cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding,   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2014, 21:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 63 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap