GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 06:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:12) correct 11% (01:42) wrong based on 422 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the sudden appearance of angry sapphire hoops for which the blue-ringed octopus is named, so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril.

(A) so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(B) so it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning
(C) the California newt's displaying its red underbelly is a clear warning for predators, so they ignore it at their peril
(D) the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(E) it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning

Curious about option C does it distort the meaning of the sentence?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 07:14
Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the sudden appearance of angry sapphire hoops for which the blue-ringed octopus is named, so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril.

We need something to complete the comparison: "Like the thorny ballooning" "it is at their peril that predators" does not make sense. We can eliminate B and E. The presence of "so" : Like X, so Y makes A incorrect. (This is not "Just as X, so Y")

(C) the California newt's displaying its red underbelly is a clear warning for predators, so they ignore it at their peril
(D) the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril

fozzzy wrote:

Yes, a bit. In C(and also A, the original sentence) the meaning is different form E's, which seems to say
"red underbelly is a warning(...), so(=because is a clear warning) they ignore it at their peril "; my point is that in D "that predators ignore at their peril" is a modifier of warning, in C "so they ignore it at their peril" does not modify "warning" but seems to modify the preceding verb ("so" is used as an adverb).

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 08:27
Also in C, "it" refers to "the California newt" but it is not the noun here. That was my reason to not to pick C. is that correct....???
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 08:30
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
Also in C, "it" refers to "the California newt" but it is not the noun here. That was my reason to not to pick C. is that correct....???

You are talking about the "poison pronoun" rule, am I correct?

That rules appears on 0 official problems and has been removed from the MGMAT guides, so I would not consider it.

Hope this is what you meant

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 08:43
fozzzy wrote:

(A) so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(B) so it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning
(E) it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning

use of LIKE is used to compare nouns or noun phrase.
LIKE X,Y
X,Y ==>They are either noun or noun phrase.
now in this case basis this rule we can eliminate option A,B,and E
Now the fight is between C and D.

IT ==>This has no referent
(D) the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril==>correct

hope this helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2013, 06:06

Hi Zarrolou,

In my opinion the original choice, that is choice A, clearly presents the intended meaning. It clearly says that California newt’s “display…” is a “clear warning”. The logical meaning is very clear here.

Choice A is incorrect because of “comma + so” that is used to join two independent clauses. There is no clause before “comma + so”. This is so because “like” cannot be followed by a clause.

Now let’s take a look at choice C:

C. the California newt's displaying its red underbelly is a clear warning for predators, so they ignore it at their peril

The issue with this choice is the use of “displaying”. After a possessive noun, we need to use a noun in its proper form and not the verb-ing form. The proper noun form of “displaying” is “display”. Hence, use of “display” will be correct here.

And yes, “it” has no clear referent.

This choice also distorts the intended meaning. Per this choice, the predators ignore the warning because the newt displays its red underbelly. This cause and effect relationship here is certainly illogical.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 22:50
fozzzy wrote:

Answer – D
Meaning – there is a comparison between:
1. ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the sudden appearance of angry sapphire hoops and
2. California newt's display
Hence, immediately after comma, we need ‘California newt's display’ Option D is the only right option.
Understand that comparison is not with ‘California newt's (displaying its red underbelly)’
A – wrong structure. We need comparion word immediately after comma.
B – same as above.
C – wrong comparison as stated in above explanation.
D – Correct choice.
E – same mistake as in A and B.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 04:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 04:39

Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap