Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Looking for HELP and SUGGESTIONS. [#permalink]
ads23 wrote:
Looking for some help. Prepared for GMAT for 2 months and wrote my exam yesterday.

GMATPrep1 (Feb 05): 660 (Q:47, V:34)
GMATPrep2 (Feb 12): 640 (Q:48, V:31)
Kaplan free test (March 08): 710 (Q:49, V:39)
GMATPrep3 (EXAM PACK) (March 27): 690 (Q:47, V:38)
GMATPrep4 (April 2): 710 (Q:48, V:38)

GMAT (April 6): 640 (Q:50, V:27)

I though my verbal section was alright. I finished a minute before the time. I was confident about scoring above 700, but somehow f***** up really badly. Also attaching the ESR with the post. I used OG 12th Edition and MGMAT SC and CR.

Will appreciate any help and suggestions. Taking GMAT again in MAY. Target is 730-740

Given that you scored V38 on your last 2 GMATPrep tests (assuming you hadn't done any of the questions before and you took the tests in exam-like conditions), I think you just under-performed on test day- I think GMATPrep is supposed to be +/ 30 points of the actual. I would reschedule and retake and continue studying in the meantime.

PS. you can move the box you put over your name in the attachment
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ads23,

Based on what you've described so far, there are two obvious factors that likely impacted your performance on Test Day. To start, Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your practice scores can become. By taking your CATs at a different time of day, you were 'training' to perform at a certain time of day. Since your Official Test time was about 2 hours earlier than when you were starting your practice CATs, that could have 'thrown off' your mindset a bit. In addition, getting a poor-night's sleep right before your Test would impact just about everyone's performance. Since the Verbal section is the final 75 minutes of a 4-hour Exam, it would not surprise me if you were too tired to perform at a high level (and the Verbal section has no 'safety net' - you'll never catch a silly mistake if you make it - you'll just choose one of the wrong answers).

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes about your ESR.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32913 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
ads23 wrote:
Looking for some help. Prepared for GMAT for 2 months and wrote my exam yesterday.

GMATPrep1 (Feb 05): 660 (Q:47, V:34)
GMATPrep2 (Feb 12): 640 (Q:48, V:31)
Kaplan free test (March 08): 710 (Q:49, V:39)
GMATPrep3 (EXAM PACK) (March 27): 690 (Q:47, V:38)
GMATPrep4 (April 2): 710 (Q:48, V:38)

GMAT (April 6): 640 (Q:50, V:27)

I though my verbal section was alright. I finished a minute before the time. I was confident about scoring above 700, but somehow f***** up really badly. Also attaching the ESR with the post. I used OG 12th Edition and MGMAT SC and CR.

Will appreciate any help and suggestions. Taking GMAT again in MAY. Target is 730-740

Hi

First of all know your weak areas like SC, DS, CR and then sub section weak areas like subject verb agreement in SC or Similar reasoning in CR
practice questions related to your weak areas, after practice review each and every question even if you answered right, know why you think this option in right if your answer is wrong think why it is wrong why right answer is right. Review like this will lessen your mistake and score will be improve
After sufficient practice take a few Mocks review all wrong answers in them
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
One month is a good enough time to improve your score. If you study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal in verbal. I believe you may benefit from taking an additional course in Verbal. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

Specifically for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the latest version of OG and the verbal review for some great additional practice.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts