It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 14:56

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 04:09
Background and nationality: 32,Male, Indian, currently working in UK

Undergrad Information: BE Computer Science from a state university with a private engineering college in 2007 with 64%.
GMAT: Yet to take

Work experience and leadership - 10 years of work experience into IT Industry, worked for Big international clients while working with TOP IT service providers.
10 years of work experience expands across domains like Life Sciences, CRM and Oil and Gas. Worked into technologies like Java, iOS Applications. Currently into Project Management with responsibilities like vendor management, stakeholder management, resource and budgets. Managed teams of size 20+ in a multi application environment. Currently deployed with a Oil Major in London looking after their trading needs.

Community and others:

Post MBA goals: Always having this urge to do an MBA as I always wanted to contribute more towards the leadership of an organization. To lead the information technology business to new heights.

Anything else?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 104

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 28

Location: United States (GA)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 05:31
Background and nationality: White; American; Male
Undergrad Information: Two Bachelor degrees - 2.9 Economics from Top 50 Liberal Arts college; 3.5 Applied Mathematics from Top 50 State University. (combined gpa 3.11)
GMAT: 740 (50Q,40V), IR 7, AWA 5
Work experience and leadership: 60 months at matriculation. 2 years at startup; 2 years in supply chain strategy/finance at Fortune 50 company; 1+ years (present job) in supply chain, ZBB strategy, and organizational design focusing on M&A synergies at Fortune 200 company. Currently have two reports that are focusing on optimizing the supply chain network. My group owns the ideation and business case phases.
Community and others: Led philanthropic team while at the Fortune 50 company. The team volunteered with over 60 organizations. Tutor children with Asperger's If I am not working, I am outdoors or spending time with my wife and dog.
Post MBA goals: Consulting at top firm for 2-4 years and then transition back into strategy group within a Fortune 100 company
Anything else? Quick explanation of two degrees: worked for startup straight out of college and was awarded stocks because I was one of the first 50 employees. 2 years after joining, the company was sold and I had the choice of either exercising my shares or joining the much larger company across the country. I realized that I had room to improve on my quant skills and the work I was interested in demanded a higher skill level. In the end, I cashed out and found myself in the classroom for a second time... luckily it was only for 1.5 years because my credits transferred from my first degree.
_________________

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 May 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 13:29
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Age 27 at matriculation, Asian American Male

Undergrad: Top 12 non-ivy private university (Northwestern, Duke, JH), Econ Major
GPA: 3.52
GMAT: 690 (will retake and aim for a 730)

Work:
2 years in management consulting at a global tier 2/3 firm, started out doing implementations and moved to do strategy in financial services
1.5 years of work on an internal strategy team at a large financial services firm, focusing on innovation topics

Extras:
Outside of college:
Head of recruiting team at management consulting firm for alma mater, served on national board within management consulting firm for diversity efforts, served on leadership board for alumni, founded youth sports organization. Then moved cities and currently don’t do anything extra.

During College:
College varsity athlete for a non-revenue generating sport, 2 year letter winner and started, chartered a business fraternity and led its direction for 3 years, executive board in cultural organization

Goals for MBA:
1. Switch industries, get into general management or continue in strategy

I got like 1.5 years before I apply – any tips, chances, thoughts on how to boost my application? I plan on finding some additional extracurriculars in the new city I moved to.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Posts: 139

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 13:30
Hello guys!

It'll be great to pick your thoughts. I am sure of applying to Kellogg, Tuck and Booth, Wharton is a stressful decision - the effort and $265 might be a waste in the end but I want to not have the regret of not applying to top-3. I will also be applying to a few non M-7 schools schools including Cornell, Darden, Ross etc. of which I will drop 1 school if I go ahead with Wharton.

Background and nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: BBA, Top Private University in India (Think Symbiosis / NMIMS / Christ) GPA ~3.4 on 4
GMAT: 760 - 50/41/8
Work experience and leadership: 6 years in Risk Consulting (2 with big 4). Lead a team of 4.
Community and others: Somewhere between average and solid in High School and UG. Community service continues until date and is very different from most of my fellow Indians.
Post MBA goals: Ops consulting - McK Ops / ATK etc.
Anything else?

If not Wharton - can I possible replace Ross/Darden with a better ranked school which will be kind to my non-IIT low GPA UG and traditional background? Yale / MIT?

Best,
gmat7m

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Aug 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.77
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 06:52
Hi all,

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on my profile.

- 26-year-old American white female
- 720 GMAT (46Q/44V)
- 3.71 GPA from small liberal arts college in mid-atlantic region (Tier 1 but not a top 50 school); double major in Econ and English
- Work experience at time of application includes 4 years at three different firms: 1 year at a consulting firm, 2 years at a strategic research group of a PR firm, where I worked primarily on branding engagements and I was promoted after one year, ahead of schedule, 1 year at current firm, a boutique strategy consulting firm (work is very market research-heavy). Each job has equipped me with increasing responsibilities (not to mention more money)
- Goal: Work at a top brand consultancy or specialize in branding/marketing consulting at a broader consulting firm; I am especially interested in strengthening my quant skills to ensure brand strategy is truly data-driven
- Extracurriculars: Not going to lie, this feels like a weak spot to me as I have moved around quite a bit geographically but: Pro-bono consulting from Jan 2017 to present, freelance market research gigs, recruitment for current company as well as informal mentoring of potential candidates outside of work, organizer of book/movie club from March 2017 to present; I also lead onboarding at my firm and have re-vamped the program (I have some other random ECs from before I moved to my current city but not very significant)


Thank you in advance!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 00:09
Hey,

So
GMAT : Yet to Appear
GPA : 3.0 (Graduate in Commerce)
I am a Chartered Accountant & a CFA Charterholder

Experience
3 Years Internship in BDO International (Audit)
3 Years Experience in Morgan Stanley (Product Controller for Structured Products)
Currently employed with JP Morgan (Treasury Risk - Structural Interest Rate Risk Management)

I am planning to apply for 2021 (sorry I see this is a 2020 thread), by the time will have 2 years experience in JPM

Extra Curricular :
NGO Activities
1 Year in a Rotaract Club
Currently part of an NGO that engages in Education for the underprivileged kids (working as a teacher & Center head)

Can someone give me an evaluation and whether I should do something more to better my profile.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 104

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Location: United Kingdom
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 09:34
LF7988 wrote:
Hi all,

I would appreciate any feedback you could provide on my profile.

- 26-year-old American white female
- 720 GMAT (46Q/44V)
- 3.71 GPA from small liberal arts college in mid-atlantic region (Tier 1 but not a top 50 school); double major in Econ and English
- Work experience at time of application includes 4 years at three different firms: 1 year at a consulting firm, 2 years at a strategic research group of a PR firm, where I worked primarily on branding engagements and I was promoted after one year, ahead of schedule, 1 year at current firm, a boutique strategy consulting firm (work is very market research-heavy). Each job has equipped me with increasing responsibilities (not to mention more money)
- Goal: Work at a top brand consultancy or specialize in branding/marketing consulting at a broader consulting firm; I am especially interested in strengthening my quant skills to ensure brand strategy is truly data-driven
- Extracurriculars: Not going to lie, this feels like a weak spot to me as I have moved around quite a bit geographically but: Pro-bono consulting from Jan 2017 to present, freelance market research gigs, recruitment for current company as well as informal mentoring of potential candidates outside of work, organizer of book/movie club from March 2017 to present; I also lead onboarding at my firm and have re-vamped the program (I have some other random ECs from before I moved to my current city but not very significant)


Thank you in advance!


Hey LF7988
Thanks for posting and GREAT GPA. Always like to see 3.7+. That will help you in this process. GMAT is good but maybe quant could be higher. Work experience is great but make sure the increasing responsibilities are clear! I think you should target Wharton -- they've got some great marketing offerings -- but I'd recommend padding that out with Booth, Stern, and UCLA just to risk mitigate. Wharton tends to love great stats and they've actually told some of my clients that they look for a min 47Q score. You might enjoy a free consult so set one up when you have a moment: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/ (You do not have to schedule it with me and in fact, at this time of year, I'd recommend just taking the first available slot.)
Hope that helps!
Krista
_________________

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Posts: 104

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Location: United Kingdom
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 09:39
gmat7m wrote:
Hello guys!

It'll be great to pick your thoughts. I am sure of applying to Kellogg, Tuck and Booth, Wharton is a stressful decision - the effort and $265 might be a waste in the end but I want to not have the regret of not applying to top-3. I will also be applying to a few non M-7 schools schools including Cornell, Darden, Ross etc. of which I will drop 1 school if I go ahead with Wharton.

Background and nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: BBA, Top Private University in India (Think Symbiosis / NMIMS / Christ) GPA ~3.4 on 4
GMAT: 760 - 50/41/8
Work experience and leadership: 6 years in Risk Consulting (2 with big 4). Lead a team of 4.
Community and others: Somewhere between average and solid in High School and UG. Community service continues until date and is very different from most of my fellow Indians.
Post MBA goals: Ops consulting - McK Ops / ATK etc.
Anything else?

If not Wharton - can I possible replace Ross/Darden with a better ranked school which will be kind to my non-IIT low GPA UG and traditional background? Yale / MIT?

Best,
gmat7m


Hi gmat7m
I think you are doing the right thing by putting together a portfolio of schools. Your GMAT is great which will work to your advantage, but I do worry about the GPA and university at this level -- your competition is tough. I actually recommend leaving Ross, Darden and Cornell all on your list. I know it's more work and it's more expensive, but this is a super competitive process especially with your background. I agree you don't want to have regrets in life so definitely target your top schools but just know that it's going to be a tough race. You need to execute a high quality application with great recs that speak to you as a leader with great interpersonal skills...more than just a quant guy. (There are plenty of those.) Also, make sure you highlight any international experience. It will help you stand out!
Hope that helps!
Krista
_________________

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Website: http://www.mbamission.com
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Image

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 388

GMAT ToolKit User
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 09:54
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello,

Would appreciate your feedback on my profile:

* Indian Female
* GMAT Not yet taken
* Total exp. 8 years in Business development at one of the biggest MNC within Testing, certification service Industry
* have won and managed multi million accounts with biggest retailers in US. Received 2 promotions. Rapid growth within the company from technical role to management side.
* Participate in strategic decisions on process improvements as well as collaborate with teams spread across 22 countries. Provide trainings to clients and vendors in various countries.
* From past 1 year, left the job to work with a startup focussed on sustainable apparels in India. Primary function - Apparel Product development and business expansion in US.
* MS - Apparel Textile and Merchandising ( GPA - 3.92, Eastern Michigan Uni)
* Full scholarship and worked on protective clothing for DOD.
* Received “Graduate Dean’s award for the Research Excellence” during Research Fair. March 2010.
* Awarded ‘Outstanding Graduate Student Award’ at Eastern Michigan University. October 2008.
* Awarded at Johnson controls for Most innovative internship project.
* Undergrad - Textile chemistry (GPA 3.75) Internship and scholarship from India's one of the biggest Textile company.
* Various Extra curricular work - Have written over 8 publications in renownedTextile journals, National Paper presentations, head of Literary society.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 388

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 750

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 11:17
lakshya wrote:
Hello,

Would appreciate your feedback on my profile:

* Indian Female
* GMAT Not yet taken
* Total exp. 8 years in Business development at one of the biggest MNC within Testing, certification service Industry
* have won and managed multi million accounts with biggest retailers in US. Received 2 promotions. Rapid growth within the company from technical role to management side.
* Participate in strategic decisions on process improvements as well as collaborate with teams spread across 22 countries. Provide trainings to clients and vendors in various countries.
* From past 1 year, left the job to work with a startup focussed on sustainable apparels in India. Primary function - Apparel Product development and business expansion in US.
* MS - Apparel Textile and Merchandising ( GPA - 3.92, Eastern Michigan Uni)
* Full scholarship and worked on protective clothing for DOD.
* Received “Graduate Dean’s award for the Research Excellence” during Research Fair. March 2010.
* Awarded ‘Outstanding Graduate Student Award’ at Eastern Michigan University. October 2008.
* Awarded at Johnson controls for Most innovative internship project.
* Undergrad - Textile chemistry (GPA 3.75) Internship and scholarship from India's one of the biggest Textile company.
* Various Extra curricular work - Have written over 8 publications in renownedTextile journals, National Paper presentations, head of Literary society.

Thanks


This looks very promising but you will still need a high GMAT score in order to have a fighting chance as Wharton is so incredibly competitive as I am sure you already know. Do you have any idea where you might land GMAT score-wise?

Assuming that you score above 700 at least, preferably higher (a must for an Indian applicant, I am afraid) and that your essays are as impressive as your working experience and extra curriculars up until now I would rate your chances as pretty good though.
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jun 2008
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 388

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 16:43
Aringo wrote:

This looks very promising but you will still need a high GMAT score in order to have a fighting chance as Wharton is so incredibly competitive as I am sure you already know. Do you have any idea where you might land GMAT score-wise?

Assuming that you score above 700 at least, preferably higher (a must for an Indian applicant, I am afraid) and that your essays are as impressive as your working experience and extra curriculars up until now I would rate your chances as pretty good though.


Thanks so much for your feedback and pointing to higher GMAT required to hold a chance. Though I am in middle of my prep and getting 650 on mock, I am targeting at 730+.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 388

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2016
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Location: India
Schools: Marshall '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 00:47
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in corses for Leadership,Security as well as technology


Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills


Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 13:04
Nationality: Indian
Gender: Female
GMAT: Not taken yet
GPA: 3.5
Major: Technology System Management
I am still in my undergraduate. I want to apply to see if I can get in straight out of college.

Work Experience:
GP Petroleum| CO-MANAGER 3 years
• GP Petroleum is a family owned full-service station with sales exceeding 150,000 gallons per month compared to competitors’ average of 100,000 gallons per month
o Increased sales by initiation and execution of adding another gas pump to increase volume of business and meet customer needs
o Maintained operations, inventory, customer service, quality and financial records, inclusive of cash handling management and credit sales
o Hired, on boarded, trained, motivated and handled performance management of employees

Other Accomplishments:
• Co-Founder of the South Asian Student Association Club.
o First club uniting Indian and Pakistani decent students to create a cultural club illuminating South Asian culture and open to any student of any background to join.

• Fluent in Punjabi and Hindi
• Volunteer at Stony Brook Hospital


What can I add to my application that will make me stand out? Thank You!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Admission Consulting Services
Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 72

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 0

Location: United States
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
rohani111 wrote:
Nationality: Indian
Gender: Female
GMAT: Not taken yet
GPA: 3.5
Major: Technology System Management
I am still in my undergraduate. I want to apply to see if I can get in straight out of college.

Work Experience:
GP Petroleum| CO-MANAGER 3 years
• GP Petroleum is a family owned full-service station with sales exceeding 150,000 gallons per month compared to competitors’ average of 100,000 gallons per month
o Increased sales by initiation and execution of adding another gas pump to increase volume of business and meet customer needs
o Maintained operations, inventory, customer service, quality and financial records, inclusive of cash handling management and credit sales
o Hired, on boarded, trained, motivated and handled performance management of employees

Other Accomplishments:
• Co-Founder of the South Asian Student Association Club.
o First club uniting Indian and Pakistani decent students to create a cultural club illuminating South Asian culture and open to any student of any background to join.

• Fluent in Punjabi and Hindi
• Volunteer at Stony Brook Hospital


What can I add to my application that will make me stand out? Thank You!

Hi,
is it your part-time job? How could you achieve good academic and professional progress at the same time? Though it'd be better to have at least 2 years of full-time professional development, your mature balancing between studies and work could be your unique feature and the strongest focus in your application.
_________________

Victoria, MBA Strategy Application Team Lead
Find a Lot of Answers to Top Schools Admissions on Our Blog

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2017
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 02:27
Hi, I am a Pakistani female, age 25

GMAT: 760 Q 48, V 47 AWA 5.5
GPA:3.8 Economics & Mathematics – appearing for CFA Level 1
Exp: 3 years working for one of the largest conglomerates in the country in Strategy & Business growth, have worked on merger deals, greenfield investment analysis, capital budgeting, turnaround projects.

Internship at leading global FMCG.

ECA:
Started a not-for-profit tech startup benefiting 5000 people to date with a team of 60 people - currently Vice President of the startup. 5+ years of public speaking in national circuit.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jul 2017
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States (TX)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:26
Hi all, was hoping to get some feedback on my profile. Any input is appreciated!

GMAT: 750 (Q49, V42, 8 IR, 6 AWA)
GPA: 3.5/4 in Materials Science & Engineering at a Southern Ivy (Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke), awarded MSCI department's award for leadership as a senior.
Passed levels CFA levels 1 and 2

Extracurriculars during undergrad:
- Organizer of largest on-campus event, responsible for coordinating a week's worth of activities for a group of 300+ students. Worked with local businesses to sponsor the event, had 5-figure budget to work with, led team of 5 organizers
- Founder and president of club sports team
- Orientation advisor junior and senior years (highly competitive, ~10% of applicants are chosen to advise)
- Worked ~20 hours per week in nanotech research lab for 2.5 years on campus

Extracurriculars after graduation:
- Mentor for an inner-city youth baseball program
- Alumni admissions interviewer for alma mater
- Organizer of alumni affairs for the largest on-campus event mentioned above
- Play in amateur baseball league
- Occasionally foster for animal shelter (work hours permitting)

Work experience at time of application: (most recent first):

-1.5 years at boutique RIA in Texas ($6B AUM). Not much history of sending people to B-school, though almost all of senior mangement/C-Suite has MBA from top-10 schools. Started as an analyst on fixed income desk, after 9 months was promoted to associate and given PM-like responsibility for management of a $300M strategy (though no official PM or junior PM title). Expect to have responsibility for another strategy by the time I apply, bringing total AUM I am responsible for to ~$400M. Still have large analytical role with other fixed income strategies, use engineering background for coding & data analysis.

- 6 months as financial advisor with F100 insurance firm. Started here because I wanted to transition into investment management, left because role was more focused on sales than making investment decisions. Concerned this is a very weak part of my application.

- 1.5 years as management consultant in energy department for bronze-tier consulting firm with tech focus (think Quorum, Infosys, etc). Had projects on O&G supermajor & international government client, led offshore teams of 5-10 people on each project.

- Internship with NASA in R&D group as an undergrad. Worked with materials engineers to develop a prototype which was approved for further testing by management.

MBA goal: want to get MBA from top finance program to gain a formal finance education. Currently have very strong analytical skills stemming from engineering background but lack understanding of what makes a successful business tick, which I believe is of utmost importance for investment management. CFA curriculum has filled some of this gap, but is mainly focused on valuation. Also believe I need to improve soft skills to one day lead a team of analysts.

Post MBA goal: Junior PM or similar type role at major asset management firm, preferably one with fixed income focus (PIMCO/DoubleLine/TCW). Long-term goal is to become Chief Investment Officer of an AM firm.

Wharton is my top choice so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 02:27
Hi all, I'm an Indian male (I know, I know) and I'm planning to apply in Round 2.

Age: just turned 25
GMAT: 750 (Q49/V42)
GPA: 3.5 equivalent from Tier 1 engg. college.
Work ex: 1 year of experience working in operations a large consumer goods company, followed by 2.5 years in product/marketing as the youngest founding member of a startup (now funded by tier 1 american VCs).
Goals: I am looking to transition into a PM/strategy role at a large consumer internet company, followed by entrepreneurship in India.

Extracurriculars: Co-founded 2 clubs in college and did lots of volunteer work. No volunteer work after graduation though.

Can you please share some feedback on my profile, my admission chances and what my approach should be to tackle the essay? Much thanks.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1126

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 40

Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 11:18
figureofwrit wrote:
Hi all, I'm an Indian male (I know, I know) and I'm planning to apply in Round 2.

Age: just turned 25
GMAT: 750 (Q49/V42) This is an excellent GMAT for anyone- so this will help!
GPA: 3.5 equivalent from Tier 1 engg. college. This is also a very strong GPA so that helps too!
Work ex: 1 year of experience working in operations a large consumer goods company, followed by 2.5 years in product/marketing as the youngest founding member of a startup (now funded by tier 1 american VCs). The work experience is a little light in tenure but some very interesting work so I would say that you have good things to offer on the 3 legs of the the stool- GMAT, GPA and work experience
Goals: I am looking to transition into a PM/strategy role at a large consumer internet company, followed by entrepreneurship in India.
Goals sound reasonable for your work experience
Extracurriculars: Co-founded 2 clubs in college and did lots of volunteer work. No volunteer work after graduation though.
dig deeper.... are you involved in some leadership at work for charity drives? anything? if no then this area will be a bit of a weaker link... but may still be enough if you have a very strong application
Can you please share some feedback on my profile, my admission chances and what my approach should be to tackle the essay? Much thanks.
You really can set yourself apart in the application process just by knowing the school well- I review lots of applications for my clients and I can tell easily which ones are trying to "phone it in" so to speak.... and which ones really did the work to know the school and WHY it works for them and their future goals. So I encourage you to do a great job on this step! It is important and is also a place where counselors can really help to challenge you to do your best work. We'd be glad to discuss your profile in more depth- reach out to us for a free consult at this link:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/
_________________

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Image

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 19:00
Hispanic Male applying R2 this cycle
GPA: 3.3 in Anthropology from Top 10 US university (non-HYP)
GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/8IR/6AWA) Only took GMAT once. During practice, scored 720-740 consistently, but always <47Q, so I am hesitant to take again.
W/E: 7 years at matriculation with all of my experience in sales & trading. Currently work in portfolio finance at an elite hedge fund with top name recognition. I have managed people every year after my first year post-graduation.
Activities outside of work:
    1. For the four years post-graduation, I competed in a sport where I was ranked top 100 in the world (Olympic sport with little to no $$ it you aren't top 5-10).
    2. My spouse and I are very active in an urban mentoring program and ended up fostering a child for two years that was part of that program.
    3. In addition to mentoring, I coached a youth club for the same sport as above. Extremely successful.
Post-MBA: Investment banking

Any critiques are welcome! :cool:

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 11

Location: United States
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User
Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 04:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
jeromemorrow wrote:
Hispanic Male applying R2 this cycle
GPA: 3.3 in Anthropology from Top 10 US university (non-HYP)
GMAT: 710 (47Q/40V/8IR/6AWA) Only took GMAT once. During practice, scored 720-740 consistently, but always <47Q, so I am hesitant to take again.
W/E: 7 years at matriculation with all of my experience in sales & trading. Currently work in portfolio finance at an elite hedge fund with top name recognition. I have managed people every year after my first year post-graduation.
Activities outside of work:
    1. For the four years post-graduation, I competed in a sport where I was ranked top 100 in the world (Olympic sport with little to no $$ it you aren't top 5-10).
    2. My spouse and I are very active in an urban mentoring program and ended up fostering a child for two years that was part of that program.
    3. In addition to mentoring, I coached a youth club for the same sport as above. Extremely successful.
Post-MBA: Investment banking

Any critiques are welcome! :cool:


This looks like a solid profile. As I'm sure you're aware, Wharton in particular tends to prefer higher GMATs, but I wouldn't advise retaking at this point if you're applying R2. Your W/E is good (hedge fund w/ name recognition is nice); S&T might not be preferred W/E across top schools, but for Wharton it works. Undergrad at Top 10 is great, I wouldn't worry about the 3.3, it's not really a pro or con. Other parts of your profile are unique too: athletic achievement in obscure sport (skeleton!?), coaching that sport, fostering kid.

If you were looking to apply R1 next year I would say take the GMAT again and shoot for 740, but for R2 this year I would say focus on your career goals pitch (why IB and why an MBA at Wharton will help).

Good luck!

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 11

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 04:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wharton Profile Evaluation Thread 2020 - Post All Requests Here

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: rohan2345



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.