Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:19 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [130]
Given Kudos: 274
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi mcelroytutoring,

Further to my query in this thread :- my-review-of-the-2016-gmat-official-guide-bundle-215887.html?fl=similar May I seek your views / guidance on a couple of issues I have

1)Do you suggest that after learning necessary concepts , formulas and strategies from from a guide such as MGMAT Quant series , practice for this section is based on official sources such as OG, Quant OG, Question Pack 1 (I have left out the full length CATs as I am keen on knowing about targeted practice for Quant). I am specifically asking about the quant section practice as I have read many in this forum and elsewhere saying that for a high quant score the Official problems are not sufficient and often recommend doing more practice from sources such as the JEFF SACKMANN's Challenge sets (800 problems) and/or the GMATClub tests. I do have access to both and I do them periodically but just keen on knowing if restricting to Official sources would hinder progress for quant?
2) I have access to all MGMAT CATs and GMATPREP CATs(all 6 ). I had taken 2 MGMAT CATs 1 as a diagnostic and the other after first phase of preparation (scores of both appears as gmat1 and gmat 2 scores on my profile). I have registered to take GMAT on 19August2016. Will it be ok to take only the 6 official GMATprep CATs with tests 1 and 2 repeated due to large pool of questions or should i also include MGMAT CATs 3 to 6 along with these? I am a tad tentative on both these fronts because of having read in most internet forums on to score a 700+ apart from other soft skills, from a practice perspective the official sources are not sufficient!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2439 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Senthil7 wrote:
Hi mcelroytutoring,

Further to my query in this thread :- my-review-of-the-2016-gmat-official-guide-bundle-215887.html?fl=similar May I seek your views / guidance on a couple of issues I have

1)Do you suggest that after learning necessary concepts , formulas and strategies from from a guide such as MGMAT Quant series , practice for this section is based on official sources such as OG, Quant OG, Question Pack 1 (I have left out the full length CATs as I am keen on knowing about targeted practice for Quant). I am specifically asking about the quant section practice as I have read many in this forum and elsewhere saying that for a high quant score the Official problems are not sufficient and often recommend doing more practice from sources such as the JEFF SACKMANN's Challenge sets (800 problems) and/or the GMATClub tests. I do have access to both and I do them periodically but just keen on knowing if restricting to Official sources would hinder progress for quant?
2) I have access to all MGMAT CATs and GMATPREP CATs(all 6 ). I had taken 2 MGMAT CATs 1 as a diagnostic and the other after first phase of preparation (scores of both appears as gmat1 and gmat 2 scores on my profile). I have registered to take GMAT on 19August2016. Will it be ok to take only the 6 official GMATprep CATs with tests 1 and 2 repeated due to large pool of questions or should i also include MGMAT CATs 3 to 6 along with these? I am a tad tentative on both these fronts because of having read in most internet forums on to score a 700+ apart from other soft skills, from a practice perspective the official sources are not sufficient!

Hi again Senthil7, sorry for taking a while to respond.

The official GMAC materials are sufficient for a 700+ score, in my opinion. However, the OGs by themselves are not. You must also make extensive use of the Exam Packs, Question Packs, Mobile App, Focus Quizzes and even perhaps the paper-based PDFs (fair warning: there could be as much as 40% overlap with the other materials).

It is true that someone going for a perfect 800 should probably try super-hard questions that are harder than those on the GMAT, but for 700+ I would stick to real GMAT questions only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi mcelroytutoring

Thank you for this comprehensive review,

I have 1 month left for my GMAT and I was thinking to ditch all prep companies questions for now and follow your 1 month Plan.
I have reviewed all basic and advanced concepts from Manhattan and Magoosh videos and i took 3 Manhattan CAT so far and I am scoring in 650 range but I feel that most quant Qs are confusing and different from OG, that is why I want to follow your plan.
I need to score in 700-720 range, so my question is; do you think that relying on OG 2016 3 books and 2 free GMATprep exam are sufficient to get the score I need? I will be reviewing all weaknesses on the road as I solve from OG and GMATprep from the books I got.
My last MCAT score was 640 (Q43, V34)

Thanks
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Abdelrahman01 wrote:
Hi mcelroytutoring

Thank you for this comprehensive review,

I have 1 month left for my GMAT and I was thinking to ditch all prep companies questions for now and follow your 1 month Plan.
I have reviewed all basic and advanced concepts from Manhattan and Magoosh videos and i took 3 Manhattan CAT so far and I am scoring in 650 range but I feel that most quant Qs are confusing and different from OG, that is why I want to follow your plan.
I need to score in 700-720 range, so my question is; do you think that relying on OG 2016 3 books and 2 free GMATprep exam are sufficient to get the score I need? I will be reviewing all weaknesses on the road as I solve from OG and GMATprep from the books I got.
My last MCAT score was 640 (Q43, V34)

Thanks

Happy to help!

Yes, I do think that the OG 2016 Bundle and the 2 free GMAT Prep Exams (Default Exam Pack) are sufficient for a full preparation, but I would also try to get my hands on Question Pack 1 and Exam Packs 1 and 2 if you can. Having 4 more official CATs is very helpful, and well worth the $90, and the Question Packs are nice for targeting specific questions. Don't forget to make use of the free online Wiley Question Bank that comes with the OGs as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
mcelroytutoring, Nice to see that you have segregated the new questions of 2017 bundle but have you also posted the new questions with answer explanations anywhere? I have the 2016 bundle and am looking for the delta questions present in 2017.
Thanks!
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
arijitdatta wrote:
mcelroytutoring, Nice to see that you have segregated the new questions of 2017 bundle but have you also posted the new questions with answer explanations anywhere? I have the 2016 bundle and am looking for the delta questions present in 2017.
Thanks!

Happy to help! Unfortunately, I've been busy tutoring my private students and haven't gotten around to that yet, but I'm sure that somebody else on GMAT Club has. dabral is always a great resource, and he has free video explanations to the new 2017 questions posted on his GMAT Quantum website. Other than that, I'll keep a lookout for you.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos