Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 07:18 It is currently 22 May 2024, 07:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1180
Own Kudos [?]: 2426 [130]
Given Kudos: 273
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 545
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 324
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 324
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Hi mcelroytutoring,

Further to my query in this thread :- my-review-of-the-2016-gmat-official-guide-bundle-215887.html?fl=similar May I seek your views / guidance on a couple of issues I have

1)Do you suggest that after learning necessary concepts , formulas and strategies from from a guide such as MGMAT Quant series , practice for this section is based on official sources such as OG, Quant OG, Question Pack 1 (I have left out the full length CATs as I am keen on knowing about targeted practice for Quant). I am specifically asking about the quant section practice as I have read many in this forum and elsewhere saying that for a high quant score the Official problems are not sufficient and often recommend doing more practice from sources such as the JEFF SACKMANN's Challenge sets (800 problems) and/or the GMATClub tests. I do have access to both and I do them periodically but just keen on knowing if restricting to Official sources would hinder progress for quant?
.
2) I have access to all MGMAT CATs and GMATPREP CATs(all 6 ). I had taken 2 MGMAT CATs 1 as a diagnostic and the other after first phase of preparation (scores of both appears as gmat1 and gmat 2 scores on my profile). I have registered to take GMAT on 19August2016. Will it be ok to take only the 6 official GMATprep CATs with tests 1 and 2 repeated due to large pool of questions or should i also include MGMAT CATs 3 to 6 along with these? I am a tad tentative on both these fronts because of having read in most internet forums on to score a 700+ apart from other soft skills, from a practice perspective the official sources are not sufficient!
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1180
Own Kudos [?]: 2426 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Senthil7 wrote:
Hi mcelroytutoring,

Further to my query in this thread :- my-review-of-the-2016-gmat-official-guide-bundle-215887.html?fl=similar May I seek your views / guidance on a couple of issues I have

1)Do you suggest that after learning necessary concepts , formulas and strategies from from a guide such as MGMAT Quant series , practice for this section is based on official sources such as OG, Quant OG, Question Pack 1 (I have left out the full length CATs as I am keen on knowing about targeted practice for Quant). I am specifically asking about the quant section practice as I have read many in this forum and elsewhere saying that for a high quant score the Official problems are not sufficient and often recommend doing more practice from sources such as the JEFF SACKMANN's Challenge sets (800 problems) and/or the GMATClub tests. I do have access to both and I do them periodically but just keen on knowing if restricting to Official sources would hinder progress for quant?
.
2) I have access to all MGMAT CATs and GMATPREP CATs(all 6 ). I had taken 2 MGMAT CATs 1 as a diagnostic and the other after first phase of preparation (scores of both appears as gmat1 and gmat 2 scores on my profile). I have registered to take GMAT on 19August2016. Will it be ok to take only the 6 official GMATprep CATs with tests 1 and 2 repeated due to large pool of questions or should i also include MGMAT CATs 3 to 6 along with these? I am a tad tentative on both these fronts because of having read in most internet forums on to score a 700+ apart from other soft skills, from a practice perspective the official sources are not sufficient!


Hi again Senthil7, sorry for taking a while to respond.

The official GMAC materials are sufficient for a 700+ score, in my opinion. However, the OGs by themselves are not. You must also make extensive use of the Exam Packs, Question Packs, Mobile App, Focus Quizzes and even perhaps the paper-based PDFs (fair warning: there could be as much as 40% overlap with the other materials).

It is true that someone going for a perfect 800 should probably try super-hard questions that are harder than those on the GMAT, but for 700+ I would stick to real GMAT questions only.
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Hi mcelroytutoring

Thank you for this comprehensive review,

I have 1 month left for my GMAT and I was thinking to ditch all prep companies questions for now and follow your 1 month Plan.
I have reviewed all basic and advanced concepts from Manhattan and Magoosh videos and i took 3 Manhattan CAT so far and I am scoring in 650 range but I feel that most quant Qs are confusing and different from OG, that is why I want to follow your plan.
I need to score in 700-720 range, so my question is; do you think that relying on OG 2016 3 books and 2 free GMATprep exam are sufficient to get the score I need? I will be reviewing all weaknesses on the road as I solve from OG and GMATprep from the books I got.
My last MCAT score was 640 (Q43, V34)

Thanks
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1180
Own Kudos [?]: 2426 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Abdelrahman01 wrote:
Hi mcelroytutoring

Thank you for this comprehensive review,

I have 1 month left for my GMAT and I was thinking to ditch all prep companies questions for now and follow your 1 month Plan.
I have reviewed all basic and advanced concepts from Manhattan and Magoosh videos and i took 3 Manhattan CAT so far and I am scoring in 650 range but I feel that most quant Qs are confusing and different from OG, that is why I want to follow your plan.
I need to score in 700-720 range, so my question is; do you think that relying on OG 2016 3 books and 2 free GMATprep exam are sufficient to get the score I need? I will be reviewing all weaknesses on the road as I solve from OG and GMATprep from the books I got.
My last MCAT score was 640 (Q43, V34)

Thanks


Happy to help!

Yes, I do think that the OG 2016 Bundle and the 2 free GMAT Prep Exams (Default Exam Pack) are sufficient for a full preparation, but I would also try to get my hands on Question Pack 1 and Exam Packs 1 and 2 if you can. Having 4 more official CATs is very helpful, and well worth the $90, and the Question Packs are nice for targeting specific questions. Don't forget to make use of the free online Wiley Question Bank that comes with the OGs as well.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 26 May 2016
Posts: 6
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
mcelroytutoring, Nice to see that you have segregated the new questions of 2017 bundle but have you also posted the new questions with answer explanations anywhere? I have the 2016 bundle and am looking for the delta questions present in 2017.
Thanks!
Tutor
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Status:Expert GMAT, GRE, and LSAT Tutor / Coach
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Posts: 1180
Own Kudos [?]: 2426 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Location: United States (CO)
Age: 44
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
arijitdatta wrote:
mcelroytutoring, Nice to see that you have segregated the new questions of 2017 bundle but have you also posted the new questions with answer explanations anywhere? I have the 2016 bundle and am looking for the delta questions present in 2017.
Thanks!


Happy to help! Unfortunately, I've been busy tutoring my private students and haven't gotten around to that yet, but I'm sure that somebody else on GMAT Club has. dabral is always a great resource, and he has free video explanations to the new 2017 questions posted on his GMAT Quantum website. Other than that, I'll keep a lookout for you.
Tutor
Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Posts: 560
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
2
Kudos
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 24 Sep 2016, 00:29.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 53
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Hi mcelroytutoring

Thank you for writing such a helpful post. Its like one in all and best one I have come across so far. :). Just wanted to ask though I have exhausted all of my resources {I had OG 2014 , question pack 404 (yet to finish) , Jamboree material (GMAT Coaching) and I have done questions from gmat club as well} still I need more practice specially for verbal . I wanted to exclusively buy verbal 2017 OG. Do you recommend it ?. Or the OG questions I have done from gmat club in addition with the one I have that much is suffice , I should just buy exam pack 1 and 2 ? . Please advise. Will really appreciate it.

Regards
Megha
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Location: Germany
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Hi, I already have teh main OG 2015. However Iwant to buy either of Verbal/Quantitive Guides OR the Exam Packs 1/2. My score in recent CATs are around 620 with 3 months to go. Which one would you recommend for 720+?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Status:GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Posts: 21843
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Semusal,

Raising a 600 to 720+ will take some serious work - and you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. In addition, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. This is meant to say that those additional resources, on their own, will likely not be enough to get you to a 720+.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Thanks for sharing the plan. Is it possible to achieve 700+ by using only GMAC and OG materials?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 22 Apr 2016
Status:On a 600-long battle
Posts: 123
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Location: Hungary
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Has any one ever used the book below?

4) Ace the GMAT: Master the GMAT in 40 Days by Brandon Royal

If so, could you please comment on whether it's useful for "seasoned"/not really beginner test takers?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 26 Aug 2014
Status:Gaja!
Posts: 49
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
mcelroytutoring
I've been referring to your post for some time now and now feel very confident with the upcoming exam date.
Any suggestions around how to spend the final week leading up to the exam?
Thank you!
VP
VP
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1023
Own Kudos [?]: 1789 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Semusal,

Raising a 600 to 720+ will take some serious work - and you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. In addition, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources. This is meant to say that those additional resources, on their own, will likely not be enough to get you to a 720+.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



so, you are saying that the easiest way to achieve 720+ in gmat is to study questions that are likely to appear in the real test from CATs, or form other similar resources?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Jun 2017
Posts: 10
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]
Brian, or anyone,

I wanted to confirm something: I cannot save/suspend sessions in Practice mode in Wiley with the option to come back and continue (under timed conditions and without answers revealed). The only options I have when doing a practice set are 1) End Exam and 2) Pause Exam -- neither of which is convenient. The FAQ says, "You’ll also have the option to quit and see your score or to suspend the session and continue it later. If you suspend your session, you’ll return to login and you’ll have the option to resume the suspended session by clicking “Continue” or abort the last attempt that you had been working on by clicking “Start over." I do not see this option.'

Update: 2017 version is flawed. It appears that 2018 online version has an updated UI etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My Review of the Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017 [#permalink]