GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need help picking additional schools to apply to!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q41 V39
GMAT 2: 660 Q40 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Need help picking additional schools to apply to!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 22:21
Hi All,

I am really looking for guidance on which additional schools I should I apply to based on the career path I'd like to take. I currently work in IT at an investment bank in NYC but am looking to make a switch into the healthcare field. I am interested in roles across different streams of healthcare (consulting, biotech, pharma, etc) but was advised to stick to one and told consulting could provide strong exposure to each area, so it is stream I'm currently most interested in. Is this sound advice to stick to one area when applying?

I know for sure I'll be applying to Duke Fuqua, Vandy Owen, and Pitt Katz MBA/MHA but can't decide where else to apply and was wondering what your thoughts were? I was told to consider Northwestern as a reach application, and am thinking about applying to CMU Tepper as well (even though they don't have a healthcare concentration). Scholarship money will likely play an important role as I'll be paying out of pocket for my tuition and from a location standpoint I'd go most anywhere for the short 2-5 year term, but would ultimately like to end up in Philly (1st) or rest of northeast/mid-atlantic area (2nd) longer term. I do not want to return to NYC if possible. Do you think applying to Penn Wharton's Healthcare program would be worth the time and effort or be too much of a reach?

Based on my thoughts above, test scores, gpa, etc which other programs would you recommend I apply to and how would you categorize each (reach, target, safety)?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any additional questions!
Director
Director
G
Re: Need help picking additional schools to apply to!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 00:23
A few thoughts on your profile and plans ToroRojo93:
  1. While the GPA looks stellar, the brand of your undergrad is not clear. I see the multiple attempts at GMAT so assume that's something done and dusted? The brand will determine overall power of the academic arc and the GMAT should be in the ballpark for many of your current target programs.
  2. The professional profile is a bit of a black hole. Just 5 years, IT and IB don't really speak much. You'd have to do better in articulating the impact delivered and differentiation achieved. So start putting your thoughts along those lines too if not done so already.
  3. Here are the top MBA programs for Healthcare. The career pivot however will have to be justified and reasoned; don't make adcoms think that you are looking at MBA as a bit of a magic wand here. Connect the dots well. Yes, it is important to have a clear post-MBA plan, not multiple plans, for most schools out there.
  4. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection chances. Broadly though, it looks like it would be a good idea to play on the slightly safer side.

Hope this gives some more direction to your plans. Feel free to reach out for more.

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q41 V39
GMAT 2: 660 Q40 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 05:59
Hi MG4MBACrystalBall,

Thanks for the quick response! I figured you might come back inquiring about additional info so let me go through your bullets below:

a) I attended a top 50 undergrad business program (in the ACC if that helps to narrow things down a bit), graduating in 3.5 years with a BSBA, majors in Supply Chain and Business Information Systems, and a minor in economics. Summa cum laude. You are correct about the GMAT, I don't intend to take it again.
b) I started in a project management role straight out of school at the bank. Co-lead a number of small IT transformation projects and such. Then lead a large project in the Americas region which had an impact on 2/3 of our employees. Transferred to a more operations-based IT role while completing that project and now manage mobility for our region (the system, the budget, the users, etc). I will be sure to provide specifics in my resume/interview.
c) What is predominantly driving my desire to switch is personal experience. I've had 3 major surgeries in the last 3.5 years and have completed countless hours of OT and PT. I'd like to leave banking and have a greater impact, whether it be on 1 person or thousands. Secondary drivers include the desire to leave nyc, join a more stable(?), growing industry, and attain the skills needed for a more strategy-based role rather than one in IT.
d)Does the above?

Also, I've read the linked article before and it doesn't really do much to narrow things down as it lists 21 schools across the board. Any thoughts on specific schools?

Thanks again
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 10:45
Hi ToroRojo93,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile and ambitions. A few notes below:

Academics: You have excellent academics with a good GMAT score.

Professional experience: You have excellent leadership experiences with increased responsibilities, which is great. While you mention wanting to transition into healthcare for personal reasons, I encourage you to be a bit more reflective about (i) what role within healthcare you look to take, and (ii) how transferable are your current skills. A lot of students proceed to complete an MBA to change career, and it's absolutely possible to make a switch. A friend has a similar path - transitioned from a career in Investment Banking to Wharton's MBA in Healthcare. I think it's possible for you too, but you do need more explicit objectives and strategic plan.

Community Engagement: I do not see you mention anything on this front. Can you share more information?

As to schools with a strong reputation in healthcare, you should also consider UCLA Anderson, Berkeley Haas, and Yale.

I welcome connecting to learn about your background and experiences and see how we can help you reach your goals. If interested, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

ToroRojo93 wrote:
Hi All,

I am really looking for guidance on which additional schools I should I apply to based on the career path I'd like to take. I currently work in IT at an investment bank in NYC but am looking to make a switch into the healthcare field. I am interested in roles across different streams of healthcare (consulting, biotech, pharma, etc) but was advised to stick to one and told consulting could provide strong exposure to each area, so it is stream I'm currently most interested in. Is this sound advice to stick to one area when applying?

I know for sure I'll be applying to Duke Fuqua, Vandy Owen, and Pitt Katz MBA/MHA but can't decide where else to apply and was wondering what your thoughts were? I was told to consider Northwestern as a reach application, and am thinking about applying to CMU Tepper as well (even though they don't have a healthcare concentration). Scholarship money will likely play an important role as I'll be paying out of pocket for my tuition and from a location standpoint I'd go most anywhere for the short 2-5 year term, but would ultimately like to end up in Philly (1st) or rest of northeast/mid-atlantic area (2nd) longer term. I do not want to return to NYC if possible. Do you think applying to Penn Wharton's Healthcare program would be worth the time and effort or be too much of a reach?

Based on my thoughts above, test scores, gpa, etc which other programs would you recommend I apply to and how would you categorize each (reach, target, safety)?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any additional questions!

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 21:47
ToroRojo93 wrote:
Hi MG4MBACrystalBall,

Thanks for the quick response! I figured you might come back inquiring about additional info so let me go through your bullets below:

<<snip>>

Also, I've read the linked article before and it doesn't really do much to narrow things down as it lists 21 schools across the board. Any thoughts on specific schools?

Thanks again

ToroRojo93, top 50 helps, but still not clear if truly stellar. In absence of it being that, the GMAT score might be a bigger deterrent, broadly speaking.

Personal motivation is definitely good and makes your plan authentic. However, schools would also want to understand what you've done about that so far instead of waiting for an MBA to make it happen for you - some efforts on the ground help.

Bottom-line, work cut out to ensure you create a robust post-MBA pitch.

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need help picking additional schools to apply to!!   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 21:47

Need help picking additional schools to apply to!!

new topic post reply Update application status