Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
amdeep wrote:
Hi

I am applying to Stanford this year. I would really appreciate if you could evaaluate my profile.

GMAT : 730

Profile:
Indian Male
Age 25

Education
- 7.73 GPA(scale of 10)
- Bachelors in Computer Science from NIT - Was in top 1% of the students who appeared for engineering exam across India
- Graduation Year: 2014

Work Experience:
- 3 years work ex, 4 years at the time of starting of the course

13 months with Samsung R&D, Delhi
- Worked on Tizen OS
- Worked on samsung smart TVs
- Got promoted within 8 months.

Left Samsung after 1 year and started my own startup. Worked on it for 2 years, before shutting it down.
- Raised funding which we eventually returned after we decided to shut down the company

Currently working as Assistant Marketing Manager at a Series B funded ecommerce startup
- handling Google and Facebook marketing
- handling monthly marketing budgets upto 160,000 USD or 10 million INR.

Extra- Curricular :
- Represented college in Nationals of Volleyball
- Was elected Sports seceretary in college
- Founded first cultural club of the college
- Core committee member of annual college fest

Post MBA goals
Work in marketing with top consumer companies for 4-5 years. Start my own company. (writing my essays around pursuing entrepreneurship as the eventual goal after gaining sufficient experience. The same reason why I joined another startup.)

well, your background education is impressive, but why you want to change your major, or is it a joke?
Also, I fell sad when I read that you are forced to foreclose your own company only after 2 years. It sounds heart-breaking, but this is a great story (dont get me wrong, I never have chance to learn about failures of companies in details)

I want to have you as my friend on social media like linked, or facebook, or twitter, is that fine?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Stanford Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hey chesstitans

I have been into marketing for last 3 years now and I want to gain experience in brand/product management before I venture again into entrepreneurship. Definitely, the startup experience is priceless and it was heartbreaking to shut it down but great lessons from the entire experience that will definitely come in handy when I go for my MBA.

Sure, lets connect on social media. Please DM your linkedin profile. Happy to connect! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I am an Indian male with 9.5 years work experience (will have 10 by the time I join college). Stanford is my first choice.

Undergrad: IIT Roorkee, 2008

Company 1: Tata Steel for 3 Years
Company 2: Teach For India for 7 Years
Currently serving as a Director of Program Implementation for seven regions. In the previous role, was leading the program for entire region impacting 220 teachers and 9000 children. Found an organization in 2011 while teaching that is now impacting 6600 children across 4 cities in India.

GMAT: 710

GPA: 6.9 on the scale of 10

Can you evaluate my profile? Would love to hear thoughts/feedback.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

I am a lawyer from a top 5 law school in India. I hold a dual degree (Bachelor of Socio-Legal Sciences + Bachelor of Law).

Work experience: 3 years.

1. Consultant - EY, Bangalore for 1 year. Work profile- corporate advisory, private equity/funds advisory, tax advisory.

2. Associate Legal Counsel- role of an in-house corporate lawyer with Infosys Limited. Work profile: Negotiations, Deals, Risk strategies and liabilities.

GMAT: 740 GPA: 3.6 plus

Extra curricular: Professional Classical vocalist with 15+ awards from various institutions.

Blogger+ Run an online fashion initiative promoting Indian fashion and brands. Run the team newsletter at work.

Volunteering work: good amount of volunteering and community service including Bharat scouts and guides, Make a difference etc.

Preferential schools: Yale, Stanford, Booth, CMU Tepper, Kelley’s

Significant achievements: 0.1% merit certificate from CBSE; Part of British Council’s “Dreams and Teams” leadership initiative.

Other courses: Hold diplomas from Asian school of cyber laws, World intellectual property organisation.
Completed “Harvard Manage Mentor” modules.

Languages: English, hindi, tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Marathi (7 languages)

Post MBA goal: transition from a purely legal advisory role to business and strategy role. And work in the Impact Ventures space in the short term. Long term, would like to bring to light at least 5-6 small and medium enterprises and their ideas see the light of the day!

Wanted to understand what are my chances to be at Stanford.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Sandhyabiswas93 wrote:
Hi All,

I am a lawyer from a top 5 law school in India. I hold a dual degree (Bachelor of Socio-Legal Sciences + Bachelor of Law).

Work experience: 3 years.

1. Consultant - EY, Bangalore for 1 year. Work profile- corporate advisory, private equity/funds advisory, tax advisory.

2. Associate Legal Counsel- role of an in-house corporate lawyer with Infosys Limited. Work profile: Negotiations, Deals, Risk strategies and liabilities.

GMAT: 740 GPA: 3.6 plus

Extra curricular: Professional Classical vocalist with 15+ awards from various institutions.

Blogger+ Run an online fashion initiative promoting Indian fashion and brands. Run the team newsletter at work.

Volunteering work: good amount of volunteering and community service including Bharat scouts and guides, Make a difference etc.

Preferential schools: Yale, Stanford, Booth, CMU Tepper, Kelley’s

Significant achievements: 0.1% merit certificate from CBSE; Part of British Council’s “Dreams and Teams” leadership initiative.

Other courses: Hold diplomas from Asian school of cyber laws, World intellectual property organisation.
Completed “Harvard Manage Mentor” modules.

Languages: English, hindi, tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Marathi (7 languages)

Post MBA goal: transition from a purely legal advisory role to business and strategy role. And work in the Impact Ventures space in the short term. Long term, would like to bring to light at least 5-6 small and medium enterprises and their ideas see the light of the day!

Wanted to understand what are my chances to be at Stanford.

Hi - Sounds like you have great intellectual capabilities and significant outside interests. You seem certainly qualified - but difficult for anyone to count on getting into GSB, of course. You might consider adjusting your profile more from being a thinker to a doer though - perhaps in emphasizing your entrepreneurial objectives and enhancing your profile (before you apply) with something that relates to that. Best -
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi there, please don't hesitate to be as brutally honest as possible when evaluating my profile. Thanks in advance.

Background and nationality:
28, M, Moroccan (currently based in France), will be 30/31 by matriculation (aiming for the dual degree MBA/MA in education)

Undergrad Information:
- Master in Management, HEC Paris, Finance major (GPA:3.45, major GPA:3.55, upward trend)
- Summer Exchange at Stanford University (GPA:3.75)
- Master of Engineering, EMI (top engineering school in Morocco), no GPA given (final grade: 15.45/20; top 5% of admitted students nationally out of 4000 students)

GMAT: 780
TOEFL iBT: 119/120

Work experience and leadership:
- Consultant at Capgemini Consulting since October 2017 (looking to go back to Amazon)
- Interned at Amazon and a boutique M&A firm in Dubai as part of my gap year @ HEC Paris
- 1 year as a quality management engineer (was head of the maintenance team for an entire workfloor)

Community and others:
- 3 years at ENACTUS as Project Manager, Tech and Marketing Leader (2011, 2012 semi-finalist in ENACTUS Moroccan Competition, 2013 champion and Moroccan representative in ENACTUS World Cup - attended remotely because of work)
- Founding member and advisor of ENACTUS HEC Paris
- Founding member and Design Leader of the HEC Busines Game
- Mentor at Article 1 (France's leading NPO dedicated to helping talented students from poor backgrounds achieve their goals)
- Volunteer gym instructor in Morocco for 10 years

Post MBA goals:
- Short to mid-term (max 5-10 years): Join an MBB (preferrably McKinsey) to work on strategy, tech and education related subjects
- Long-term (10 years +): Create an education startup in Morocco to help rural and underpriviledged students achieve excellence without straining themselves financially

Anything else?
- Reserve officer (first lieutenant) in the Moroccan Royal Armed Forces
- HEC Paris thesis awarded highest grade and published on the Vernimmen website (leading European finance website)
- Bodybuilding (martial arts-oriented) for 16 years
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ALTA.MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
BillNella89 wrote:
Hi there, please don't hesitate to be as brutally honest as possible when evaluating my profile. Thanks in advance.

Background and nationality:
28, M, Moroccan (currently based in France), will be 30/31 by matriculation (aiming for the dual degree MBA/MA in education)

Undergrad Information:
- Master in Management, HEC Paris, Finance major (GPA:3.45, major GPA:3.55, upward trend)
- Summer Exchange at Stanford University (GPA:3.75)
- Master of Engineering, EMI (top engineering school in Morocco), no GPA given (final grade: 15.45/20; top 5% of admitted students nationally out of 4000 students)

GMAT: 780
TOEFL iBT: 119/120

Work experience and leadership:
- Consultant at Capgemini Consulting since October 2017 (looking to go back to Amazon)
- Interned at Amazon and a boutique M&A firm in Dubai as part of my gap year @ HEC Paris
- 1 year as a quality management engineer (was head of the maintenance team for an entire workfloor)

Community and others:
- 3 years at ENACTUS as Project Manager, Tech and Marketing Leader (2011, 2012 semi-finalist in ENACTUS Moroccan Competition, 2013 champion and Moroccan representative in ENACTUS World Cup - attended remotely because of work)
- Founding member and advisor of ENACTUS HEC Paris
- Founding member and Design Leader of the HEC Busines Game
- Mentor at Article 1 (France's leading NPO dedicated to helping talented students from poor backgrounds achieve their goals)
- Volunteer gym instructor in Morocco for 10 years

Post MBA goals:
- Short to mid-term (max 5-10 years): Join an MBB (preferrably McKinsey) to work on strategy, tech and education related subjects
- Long-term (10 years +): Create an education startup in Morocco to help rural and underpriviledged students achieve excellence without straining themselves financially

Anything else?
- Reserve officer (first lieutenant) in the Moroccan Royal Armed Forces
- HEC Paris thesis awarded highest grade and published on the Vernimmen website (leading European finance website)
- Bodybuilding (martial arts-oriented) for 16 years

Hi - you have a great profile, of course. Helpful to not seem too MBB focused though. I had a few people with very similar profiles get into HBS last year - perhaps worth connecting with soon (you are getting a bit on the older side). Best -
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Hey guys, so I am thinking of applying for the Stanford MBA deferred admission. Would like to know what you think of my chances of getting to the interview stage and getting an offer

I am from Montreal, Canada (23 year old white male)
Undergrad: Non-target US university (Economics & Finance)
GPA: 3.96/4.0 (top 1%)
Masters: Masters in Management at London Business School (LBS)
GMAT: 710 (49Q, 38V, 8IR, 5.0 AWA)
Work Experience: Investment banking analyst (M&A, ECM, DCM) in a top Canadian Bank (will start in July 2018) + working on my own startup (sharing economy, think Uber/Airbnb/Tinder)
Leadership: Captain of my NCAA tennis team in Florida, MVP for 2 years
EC: Professional tennis player for 7 years, ranked 668 in the world (played in over 40 different countries), represented Canada in the Junior Olympics in Singapore
Sponsorship from Adidas and Babolat
Post-MBA Goal: Venture Capital or Private Equity in a top US fund

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, you can PM me :)

Thanks in advance!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
laurent777 wrote:
Hey guys, so I am thinking of applying for the Stanford MBA deferred admission. Would like to know what you think of my chances of getting to the interview stage and getting an offer

I am from Montreal, Canada (23 year old white male)
Undergrad: Non-target US university (Economics & Finance)
GPA: 3.96/4.0 (top 1%)
Masters: Masters in Management at London Business School (LBS)
GMAT: 710 (49Q, 38V, 8IR, 5.0 AWA)
Work Experience: Investment banking analyst (M&A, ECM, DCM) in a top Canadian Bank (will start in July 2018) + working on my own startup (sharing economy, think Uber/Airbnb/Tinder)
Leadership: Captain of my NCAA tennis team in Florida, MVP for 2 years
EC: Professional tennis player for 7 years, ranked 668 in the world (played in over 40 different countries), represented Canada in the Junior Olympics in Singapore
Sponsorship from Adidas and Babolat
Post-MBA Goal: Venture Capital or Private Equity in a top US fund

In my essay, I plan to leverage my tennis experience and discuss everything I have learned from it (leadership, dedication, performing under pressure, time management, problem solving, interpersonal skills).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, you can PM me :)
I feel like I might have seen your profile elsewhere-- as I like tennis-- so I remember the tennis players! I do think you have a great background for an MBA-- and I think you can be successful. For odds at GSB-- one always has to be cautious as the odds overall are just so low-- but depending on how you tell your story-- and weave in what matters most to your narrative-- I could see you being successful. You may find the hours as an ibanking analyst may make it tough to do lots outside of work on the startup-- but perhaps your tennis discipline training will help you carve out time to stay on track. I hope you applied-- I know the deadline was already over-- so by now you either have or have not! I would also encourage you to look at a few other programs that have later deadlines just to boost your overall odds of success-- Darden has a future scholars program that you could look at that has a deadline 1 in May and Deadline 2 in August-- so if you were still looking for this kind of option at end of summer if GSB does not work out-- I think Darden would be a good one to add. There is a lot of value in having that mentorship and collaboration with the cohort of other deferred admit students. Best wishes to you-- and if you want to learn more how Stratus can help you-- please reach out at this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi all. I am an incoming student for one of the US MMS programs (Kellogg / Fuqua / etc) and will be looking to apply for deferred entry to HBS / GBS during my MMS year. Was hoping to get some perspectives on my profile and what weak aspects I can work on in the future, even if not for deferred entry then for regular entry down the line.

Goals pre-/post MBA: Consulting post-MMS, Tech Entrepreneurship post-MBA.

Undergrad: Expected high Upper Second Class Honors, Bachelor of Laws at semi-target UK Russell Group Uni (KCL / Bristol tier). GPA equivalent should be around 3.7~3.8 if translated.
GMAT: 790.

Qualifications:
- several business-related certifications on Coursera
- Wall Street Prep financial modelling course (basic package).
- Will also have completed CFA Level 2 by the time of my application (hopefully), along with the HBX CORe Program this summer.
- 3 months at a very well-known coding bootcamp in San Francisco during one of my summers - will be looking to use these programming skills to do an EduTech startup during my time at the MMS.

Professional Experiences: Probably my weakest point as I haven't done internships with any "target" companies.
- Two short summer internships with notable Asian law firms in corporate / M&A type stuff
- one winter internship with a technology startup (sparked my interest in tech entrepreneurship).
- Currently working remotely as a part-time digital marketing intern for a San Francisco-based start-up.
- Doing business development for a start-up this summer in London before the MMS.

Extracurriculars:
- Vice-captain for university football B-team
- Placed in finalist positions for some smaller international case competitions.
- university representative for UK-wide ethnic society for law
- have helped to organise careers workshops for students from impoverished backgrounds and to assist lawyers in defending financially disadvantaged criminals.

So yeah, any feedback would be great on my chances for HBS/GBS 2+2. Appreciate it guys. I think I probably have the "unique" background they might be looking for but my internships may be lacking on the quality front, especially when up against people who have done internships at GS / JPM / MBB etc. Also if anyone has an idea of how I can build up my profile over the next 1.5 years for deferred entry / 3 years for regular entry, would be great!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
Hi guys! Not sure if this is the right place to post. I am relatively new here. So please redirect me to the correct forum if it’s not this one.

I wrote the gmat 2 weeks ago and scored a 710
Break up: Q45(57 percentile) and V41 (94 percentile)

I am happy with the overal score. Wanted everyone’s thoughts on the quant bit though. Is it too low? I’ll give you more of my background below:

Indian Female, Age 25, Chartered Accountant (all levels in first attempt)

GPA: not too sure at the moment (have to check my documents), but above 7.87/10

College: not very well ranked, bachelor in business management, graduated in 2014, managed this while working full time for a big 4 (third year of the three year degree)

Work experience
1) 3 year articleship in a big 4 (tax)
2) 3 months full time post articleship in the same big 4
3) 1 year 3 months in the valuation team of another big 4
4) 7 months at a VC (ongoing, will finish 2 years by the time I intent to join bschool)

Total: 4-5 years depending on if articleship is counted or not

Extracurriculars
- teacher with teach for change (taught a group of underprivileged students and made sure they passed English Toefl level exams to better equip them for jobs)
- miracle manna (orphanage for children where I conducted activities)
- college: editorial team of college newspaper / newsletter
- recently started volunteering with make a wish foundation (hoping this will allow me to take on a more serious role)

Awards
- 1 award during articleship and finalist in 1 competition during articleship

Others
- been actively involved in a business separation legal case - from end to end
- this takes up most of my time outside work

Questions
1) is the quant score low considering I am Indian and I intend to major in finance and probably strategy? How do I make up for it?

(Note: I am not an engineer)

2) what schools seem realistic? Dream? Reach?

3) what’s the job situation in the US?

4) should I consider an MiM over an MBA

5) with the current Gmat score, what kind of scholarships and support can I expect?

6) planning to retake gmat - not very confident about scoring more than this score. Even if quant improves, verbal might drop. What are your thoughts on the score as it is? And in what situation should I accept or reject my next score?
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello kritikalal

Overall you have a strong profile, but not sure which university you have shortlisted.
Total GMAT score is ok, whether you should re-take it depends on which colleges you are applying to.
1. Quant is certainly a problem, some colleges expect you to have 75-80 percentile in both the sections. Considering your CA background, I assume you can do better in quant.
2. What colleges are realistic for you can be decided only if you mention your future goals. Which country do you wish to study in, where do you wish to work in the future etc?
3. Job situation in US- perhaps only Trump can answer that :-D. It is at least 3 years before you graduate (if you study in US). No one can predict what the situation will be then.
4. MiM vs MBA- Looking at your work ex, go for an MBA.
5. Scholarships- Usually not based on just the GMAT score but overall profile of the applicant. Also it will depend on the college. If your GMAT (710) is much higher than the average GMAT of the college you get admitted to, you may have a chance of scholarship.

All the best.

kritikalal wrote:
Hi guys! Not sure if this is the right place to post. I am relatively new here. So please redirect me to the correct forum if it’s not this one.

I am happy with the overal score. Wanted everyone’s thoughts on the quant bit though. Is it too low? I’ll give you more of my background below:

College: not very well ranked, bachelor in business management, graduated in 2014, managed this while working full time for a big 4 (third year of the three year degree)

Work experience
4) 7 months at a VC (ongoing, will finish 2 years by the time I intent to join bschool)

Extracurriculars
- teacher with teach for change (taught a group of underprivileged students and made sure they passed English Toefl level exams to better equip them for jobs)
- recently started volunteering with make a wish foundation (hoping this will allow me to take on a more serious role)

Awards

Others

Questions
1) is the quant score low considering I am Indian and I intend to major in finance and probably strategy? How do I make up for it?

5) with the current Gmat score, what kind of scholarships and support can I expect?

6) planning to retake gmat - not very confident about scoring more than this score. Even if quant improves, verbal might drop. What are your thoughts on the score as it is? And in what situation should I accept or reject my next score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
Kudos
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello kritikalal

Overall you have a strong profile, but not sure which university you have shortlisted.
Total GMAT score is ok, whether you should re-take it depends on which colleges you are applying to.
1. Quant is certainly a problem, some colleges expect you to have 75-80 percentile in both the sections. Considering your CA background, I assume you can do better in quant.
2. What colleges are realistic for you can be decided only if you mention your future goals. Which country do you wish to study in, where do you wish to work in the future etc?
3. Job situation in US- perhaps only Trump can answer that :-D. It is at least 3 years before you graduate (if you study in US). No one can predict what the situation will be then.
4. MiM vs MBA- Looking at your work ex, go for an MBA.
5. Scholarships- Usually not based on just the GMAT score but overall profile of the applicant. Also it will depend on the college. If your GMAT (710) is much higher than the average GMAT of the college you get admitted to, you may have a chance of scholarship.

All the best.

kritikalal wrote:

Work experience

Extracurriculars

Awards

Others

Questions

Thanks OneMBAcoach.
At this point, my top two schools seem to by NYU and LBS. Columbia and Booth too. Anything specific you can add to your already helpful comment based on the schools?
I am rewriting the GMAT - on May 31 - juggling this with work is NOT going to be easy. So let's see how that goes for me.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM