Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Rice vs Fisher

77% [7]
22% [2]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Rice vs Fisher [#permalink]
I found Ms. Tansy Thuy Do (https://www.linkedin.com/in/tthuydo/) who did an MBA at Rice in 2016. She may share some insider info & contacts.

Originally posted by anhducdb07 on 15 Mar 2020, 09:08.
Last edited by anhducdb07 on 16 Mar 2020, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Owen '22 (M$)
Send PM
Re: Rice vs Fisher [#permalink]
Kudos
I could see you going either way on this one.

In the long-term, I believe Rice will be a better brand to have on your resume. That said, the impact of coronavirus and the instability in the oil markets could create some headwinds (like you said, the school is dependent on O&G). Fisher might be safer.

Something else to consider: if your stipend requires 10/20 hours of work a week, that would cut into recruiting. This might be especially impactful during your first year.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would not be too worried about the GA or Time commitment to that. These are nominal hours and usually translates into 2-3 hours of actual work a week instead of 10 or 20. Another value from the GA Is that you get to work with a professor and if you really impress them, that’s another way to network and recruit. I would consider any GA opportunity an asset. Just my 2 cents.... And if you don’t, you can always pass it up. You don’t have to take it. Depending how it’s structured so you can always skip it one of the quarters or semesters if something better comes along. But, usually it is free money.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [1]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on your admit. You are in a great spot. I wouldn't rule Rice out because you think the school is highly dependent on oil and gas. As a former international student, I can tell that you will have to work your butt off no matter where you end. Granted I didn't go to a top school for my first masters' degree but I was surprised to see a lot of students from 'top' schools at every engineering career fair I attended. While is true that Rice sends a lot of their graduates to oil and gas, the majority of them worked in that industry before business school. I have talked to folks who graduated from Rice who is not in oil and gas. Did you get a chance to visit both schools? I also saw the comment from one of the reviews here and my guess is that the reviewer was an international student who might have thought the name of a school is enough to land a job. I'd say visit both schools if you haven't and go from there.

Best wishes!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bebs wrote:
Congratulations on your admit. You are in a great spot. I wouldn't rule Rice out because you think the school is highly dependent on oil and gas. As a former international student, I can tell that you will have to work your butt off no matter where you end. Granted I didn't go to a top school for my first masters' degree but I was surprised to see a lot of students from 'top' schools at every engineering career fair I attended. While is true that Rice sends a lot of their graduates to oil and gas, the majority of them worked in that industry before business school. I have talked to folks who graduated from Rice who is not in oil and gas. Did you get a chance to visit both schools? I also saw the comment from one of the reviews here and my guess is that the reviewer was an international student who might have thought the name of a school is enough to land a job. I'd say visit both schools if you haven't and go from there.

Best wishes!

bebs
Thanks for your sharing. Unfortunately, I could not afford such a visit to schools in US.
I am aware I will have to put my own back into that to get a job. However, I suppose that I could not leverage Rice's alumni network because of their focus on oil and gas while I have difference industry preferences.
Could you help share more insights from Rice alumni who is in finance but not in oil and gas?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
I would not be too worried about the GA or Time commitment to that. These are nominal hours and usually translates into 2-3 hours of actual work a week instead of 10 or 20. Another value from the GA Is that you get to work with a professor and if you really impress them, that’s another way to network and recruit. I would consider any GA opportunity an asset. Just my 2 cents.... And if you don’t, you can always pass it up. You don’t have to take it. Depending how it’s structured so you can always skip it one of the quarters or semesters if something better comes along. But, usually it is free money.

Posted from my mobile device

bb can you help sharing your opinion on Rice's focus on oil & gas ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am not sure I can really comment much beyond the employment report - 17% were energy jobs and 28 consulting jobs but again, there is a good chance many of those consulting jobs were for oil & gas for folks who came from energy background. Not a great time to be in Energy at the moment but it may change....

And all jobs seem to be based in the South. Few folks go elsewhere as Jones is a regional program/school and thus lacks gravity for greater reach. I don't have personal experience with this program however, so I can't weigh in much here again, beyond just the numbers available.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts