It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 294 [1], given: 5

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (00:57) correct 40% (01:03) wrong based on 1535 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.

(A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to

(B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to

(C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in

(D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to

(E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

Lotte Jacobi.doc [71.5 KiB]
Downloaded 206 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kudos [?]: 294 [1], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 10:32
I say C.

The key is "...less native in New York than IN Germany..."

Of the answers, only C and E has this.

E incorrectly begins with "SHE" and shifts the focus of the sentences. I forget what the technical term is, but SHE is not the subject, PHOTOGRAPHER LOTTE JACOBI is the subject.

OA?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 19

Re: She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 14:22
bigfernhead wrote:
She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.

A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to
B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to
C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in
D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to
E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

Also go with C, which is also in correct tense.

A) Incorrect sequence of tense.
B) Incorrect sequence of tense.
C) Correct sequence of tense.
D) Violate the idiom "Less .......than".
E) Incorrect sequence of tense.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 19

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 615 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2008, 17:02
First of all, "than" is not in answer D so it cannot be modified by anything else in answer D.

D is wrong because it violates the idiom usage of "than".

reply2spg wrote:
IMO D,

GMATTIGER I have a doubt here, don't you think that in option D "compared to" is modifying "than" and since Although is supporting to neverthless....what is wrong with D?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2008, 01:30
This post received
KUDOS
D is not wrong because of the idiom, it's wrong because D makes a faulty comparison between her time in New York and Germany (itself). The key to C is that it correctly compares time "in New York" to time "in Germany".

Example:

Clinton Portis was more successful in Washington than Denver. <---D has this going on
Clinton Portis was more successful in Washington than in Denver. <--- C has this going on. That's why it's the best choice.

EDIT: As a general strategy, idioms are the LAST thing I would check in any SC problem. Generally speaking, there are very few questions where the idiom is wrong but the rest of the sentence is correct. Also, idioms are the hardest thing to remember, for native speakers and foreigners alike. I would only decide between 2 answer choices on a SC based on the idiom if I had tried all other possible rules (i.e. dangling modifier, pronoun reference, s-v agreement...idiom is at the bottom of the totem pole).

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Schools: Hard Knocks

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2008, 07:01
Well, you'll get questions on the test that only require knowledge of the idiom. In your example that you claim "D has this going on", you use the word "than" but the word "than" is not anywhere in answer D so how does it have it going on?

JorgeStevenson wrote:
D is not wrong because of the idiom, it's wrong because D makes a faulty comparison between her time in New York and Germany (itself). The key to C is that it correctly compares time "in New York" to time "in Germany".

Example:

Clinton Portis was more successful in Washington than Denver. <---D has this going on
Clinton Portis was more successful in Washington than in Denver. <--- C has this going on. That's why it's the best choice.

EDIT: As a general strategy, idioms are the LAST thing I would check in any SC problem. Generally speaking, there are very few questions where the idiom is wrong but the rest of the sentence is correct. Also, idioms are the hardest thing to remember, for native speakers and foreigners alike. I would only decide between 2 answer choices on a SC based on the idiom if I had tried all other possible rules (i.e. dangling modifier, pronoun reference, s-v agreement...idiom is at the bottom of the totem pole).

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

34 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2048 [34], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
siddhans wrote:

D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to

Can someone explain this in detail?

[Reveal] Spoiler: I Wonder
Why is A,E wrong?

It is better to use "than" if there is a comparative word in the sentence. Here, "less" is comparative, so we need to use "than".

Rules out A, B and D.

E: messes up the verb sequence. "Had been" (past perfect) is used for describing the older event from the two events in the past.

Understand the meaning of the sentence:
Lotte Jacobi was quite famous in Germany.
Then she moved to New York.
And in New York, she became less famous.

Older event: Her being more famous when she was in Germany.
Later event: Her being less famous when she moved to New York.

Had been- should be associated with the older event; i.e. her fame when she was in Germany.

E: uses had been with New York; it says after moving to New York, she had been less successful. Wrong.

C: corrects all these errors.

It uses "than" and eliminates all confusing comparator phrases such "as compared to" etc.
Less successful after she moved to New York -- had been is NOT used here, which is good.
she had been in Germany- had been is used for the time when she was in Germany; also good.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Kudos [?]: 2048 [34], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 04:59
A brilliant explanation by fluke.
I would like to add another point to prove A is incorrect.
The comparison (as shown in A) is between the level of success and "native germany", an idea which is nonsensical.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 06:39
@siddhans, what is the source of this question?

IMV, it should be D. There seems to be a comparison, though she was not initally famous in NY, but eventually she was.... Using 'Although', makes more sense.

Any explanation why D would be wrong?

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 20:41
Agree with the run-on comment. Need to be careful about illogical comparisons in this question as well.

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 214 [1], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2011, 21:29
This post received
KUDOS
She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany
photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.
The two parts of the sentence are separated by a comma and not a semi colon - which directly implies that the first part of the sentence cannot be an independent clause- but a subordinate cluase, and we know from the context and structure of second part that it acts as a modifer to the subject "photographer Lotte Jacobi"
Any correct answer choice cannot therefore have a complete working verb in it - so A,D (was) and E ( had been) are all wrong because here the first fragment of the sentence are complete clauses
Between B & C:
as compared to should be followed by in. C is comparing how successful she was in New York to her native germany - it should be 'as compared to (when) IN Germany' Also, being is not preferred- it's redundant when compared to construction in C

Kudos [?]: 214 [1], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [1], given: 46

Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2011, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
siddhans wrote:

Can someone explain this in detail?

[Reveal] Spoiler: I Wonder
Why is A,E wrong?

my take is
lacks correct comparison
B) [highlight]Being[/highlight] less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to
lacks correct comparison + passive construction
she was less successful ........new york than she had been in her native..... (perfect + simple comparison )
redundancy although + nevertheless together in a sentence
passive construction

I hope it helps for some atleast.......... :? :?

WarLocK

Kudos [?]: 92 [1], given: 46

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 29

Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2012, 23:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to
B. Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to
C. Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in
D. Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to
E. She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 29

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [2], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
A. She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to ---- comparing success to a place; in addition the full text is a run-on

B. Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to ------ comparing success to a place;

C. Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in---the introductory clause correctly modifies photographer Jotte – In addition the choice uses sequentially proper chronological tensing

D. Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to ----- the contrast has already been crought out by the word – nevertheless-; although is redundant.

E. She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in --- The text is a run on

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [2], given: 363

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2012, 02:47

Meaning;
The success status of Lotte Jacobi is compared when she was in Germany, than her success status after going to NY.

A. She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to
success/less success can not be compared to a country-incorrect
B. Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to
"being"is incorrect also, success can not be compared to a country-incorrect
C. Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in
Comparison is logically and grammatically parallel by using "in " which states the success status of Jacobi in both places.
D. Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to
success can not be compared to a country-incorrect
E. She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in
distorted meaning

(C) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:17
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:17
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:

A. Success is compared with Native Germany. Also "less" needs "than".
B. Distorts meaning. Implies that her relatively moderate success was somehow linked with her small group of followers. Alo Being as modifier is never correct.
D. "when" denotes a timeline. "less" needs "than"
E. Run On sentence.

C is CORRECT

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 47

Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:45
souvik101990 wrote:

A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to---incorrect comparison
B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to---incorrect comparison
D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to---incorrect comparison
E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in---incorrect comparison

IMO C---
less successful ----,blah blah blah,---Jacobi
makes sence....comparison is correctly made between the success in the two countries.

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 47

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 05:46
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
souvik101990 wrote:

A. Success is compared with Native Germany. Also "less" needs "than".
B. Distorts meaning. Implies that her relatively moderate success was somehow linked with her small group of followers. Alo Being as modifier is never correct.
D. "when" denotes a timeline. "less" needs "than"
E. Run On sentence.

C is CORRECT

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

10 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 136 [10], given: 2

GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think that the responses already given adequately address all the wrong answers, so I'll just clarify a few points about comparison.

(1) If you use "less," "fewer," or "more" to make a comparison, and if both nouns/prepositional phrases/whatever being compared appear after the "less" or "more," then you must use "than" to introduce the second. (This eliminates A, B, and D)

He has fewer cats than dogs.
This is correct, because "fewer" precedes the first noun, "cats," and "than" precedes the second noun, "dogs."
This is the structure you can expect to see on the GMAT.

He has three dogs, but fewer cats.
This is correct. It uses "fewer" without "than," but one of the nouns being compared appears before the "fewer."
Offhand, I don't remember seeing this structure on the GMAT.

(2) All of the words "less," "fewer," and "more" imply comparison, so any additional comparison signal, such as "compared to" or "relative to" is redundant. (This eliminates A, B, and D)

(3) Whatever the elements being compared, they must be both logically comparable and structurally similar. No comparison signal/parallel marker can coordinate two elements unless those elements are the same part of speech. (This eliminates A, B, and D)

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Last edited by MichaelS on 12 Jun 2013, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 136 [10], given: 2

Re: She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2012, 12:20

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 68 posts ] 

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap