Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Should I quit my Job for or Not ?? [#permalink]
cerii82 wrote:
Hello all;

Actually, I am a prospective MBA student and will be applying to US Business School for Fall 2018. I am an Electrical Engineer and have a core Technical Experience of 36 months. I am thinking to quit my job next month so that I could concentrate on GRE and TOEFL preparation and then on Business School Applications.

Can you please suggest me is it a feasible idea or should I continue my job and study at the same time? Moreover, not doing a Full-time job will create any negative impact on MBA Application/Interviews or on Visa Interview?

Looking forward for replies.

Thanks

Hello,
You can find pretty much great stories about successful preparation without leaving their job.
So work on your study plan. You can find some videos and articles on GmatClub.
Try to dedicate at least one hour per day.

Good luck :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Hi cerii82,

I would suggest not to quit your job for GRE and TOEFL prep. First, the gap in employment isn’t viewed positively in the admission process and, second, what happens if you don’t get into your target school (this happens all the time). If the worst case scenario unfolds, you’ll be stranded without a job at least for few months. The best option, as suggested, is to squeeze out time by asking for leave or whatever… I’ve rarely seen people quitting jobs to prepare for GRE/ GMAT. If so many others can pull it off, there is no reason why you can’t.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Should I quit my Job for or Not ?? [#permalink]
DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB.

If you are jobless you do not exist for the world.

I lost my job in October 2016 because of the global downturn in the Oil industry and applying to a business school without a job is a pain.

You will have to answer additional essays explaining why are you jobless.

Some schools have mandatory field - "current job"

It adds to the stress.

Coordinating to the referees will be difficult.

Depending on the country, visa application needs bank and tax statements. Some even need salary slip.

Please note that you are applying within a highly competitive application pool and employment is something that the Admissions Committee will keep in mind when reviewing your application. Kindly be advised that your current unemployment may have an effect on your application - This was the reply that I got from one of the schools after having 8+ years of exp and 4+ is international exp.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
cerii82 wrote:
Hello all;

Actually, I am a prospective MBA student and will be applying to US Business School for Fall 2018. I am an Electrical Engineer and have a core Technical Experience of 36 months. I am thinking to quit my job next month so that I could concentrate on GRE and TOEFL preparation and then on Business School Applications.

Can you please suggest me is it a feasible idea or should I continue my job and study at the same time? Moreover, not doing a Full-time job will create any negative impact on MBA Application/Interviews or on Visa Interview?

Thanks

ceril,

As you have already been told by others on this thread, quitting your job is never a good idea. Taking a leave without pay is a far, far better option.

Quitting your job is a very myopic approach- what if you do not get admission into business school this year? You would still land up with a substantial gap before you get the next job. And as beefcakeharsh has explained, you will need to justify this gap in your applications. Telling the adcom, you quit for GMAT prep does not impress. More so, because other applicants also take GMAT with hectic work schedules; then so can you.

Also, b-schools count your work experience until you matriculate. If you quit now, what will you do between applications deadlines and next fall, when classes start? This lack of work experience will also cost you heavily.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
cerii82 wrote:
Hello all;

Thanks

Dear cerii,
Let us divide your preparation in 2 parts
first : TOEFL study : TOEFL score is required when your graduation is in non English Language. If you have completed your electrical engineering where teaching language was English then you do not need TOEFL score . In my View There is no point in wasting time in that preparation.
Second : GRE /GMAT study: for this preparation around 200 hrs study is required . If you can spare daily 2 hrs after office and on weekend 6- 8 hrs then you do not need to quit job. There are so many people who have scored very high while working.
good luck for your prep.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
In addition to my post , Yes you can take sabotage few days/week, if you face very hectic schedule.
Remember GMAT is a game of punctuality. you have to stick to schedule . You have to study daily. you cant sat like you study one day 4 hrs and next day 0 hrs . GMAT requires daily practice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Thanks to all of you for the suggestion.

Can anyone tell me how is it possible for the Admission Committee to know about my Job Status.??

They just need to provide the Recommendation Letter (which I would arrange from my Immediate Manager) and Work Experience Letter ( I already have an updated Experience Letter of 36 months ).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
cerii82 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how is it possible for the Admission Committee to know about my Job Status.??

They just need to provide the Recommendation Letter (which I would arrange from my Immediate Manager) and Work Experience Letter ( I already have an updated Experience Letter of 36 months ).

Remember Admission Committee always do the background check before admitting you. If you say you are working but actually you are not, they will reach out to the employer and reject you in case of discrepancy.

If you tell them that you are not working anywhere, you need to provide a solid reason to them. Ideally, it will have a bad impression on them.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
cerii82 wrote:

That would be a bad (unethical) start to a process that is meant to nurture you as an honest and consequential leader. You will risk your offers being rescinded if you are found out
GMAT Club Bot