GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 03:45
Since the 1930’s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so

A, C and E we can get easily eliminated.

Now comes B and D

B and D both are correct.

but B is better because ---

1)It is following Idioms so...that
2) Parallelism.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2020, 03:37
amitdgr wrote:
the clue lies in reading the full question :)

when we read the full question, we see the word "them". Now if we see them on an underlined portion we are immediately alerted and we look for the antecedent. Here the problem is reversed. We have them in the non-underlined part, so it is our job to make them point to the correct antecedent.

them can refer to any of the following -- aircraft, aircraft manufacturer's and wings.

Clearly them has to point to wings, so we add the extra wing as in B.

Thank you that was the perfect explanation
P
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2020, 04:31
Structure used here is

"So.....So......that........
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.61
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2020, 10:56
Hi Expert,

Could you please explain what does VERB-ed modifier shaped modify in Choice A?
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2020, 10:21
jayarora wrote:
Hi Expert,

Could you please explain what does VERB-ed modifier shaped modify in Choice A?

Good question! Maybe it modifies wings? Or maybe airplanes?

Choice (B) is a better option because it eliminates that ambiguity.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 07:34
I don't understand how B) is the correct choice.

Quote:
Original: with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them
B: wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped

Original says that wings are shaped smoothly and shaped perfectly
B says that wings are smooth and perfectly shaped

in my view, B changes the meaning of the original sentence
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 11:30
What is the issue in option D? I think "shaped" is perfectly modifying wings. Please elucidate.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 12:42
Could you please tell me why E is incoorect?
Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 12:44
Parikshit07 wrote:
What is the issue in option D? I think "shaped" is perfectly modifying wings. Please elucidate.

Hello, Parikshit07. If you take for granted that shaped modifies wings instead of airplanes in choice (D), the meaning is still askew. The sentence:

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

Notice the conjunction and, without a comma, in smooth and perfect. These are two qualities listed in parallel, not unlike those in the saying high and dry. The problem is, how can anything, wing or airplane, be shaped in a smooth manner? A shape is one quality, a physical quality of appearance, while smooth is another type of quality, one pertaining to touch. The two go together about as well as oil and water, and the lack of clarity in meaning is enough to see off the answer choice.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 12:47
MentorTutoring wrote:
Parikshit07 wrote:

Hello, Parikshit07. If you take for granted that shaped modifies wings instead of airplanes in choice (D), the meaning is still askew. The sentence:

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

Notice the conjunction and, without a comma, in smooth and perfect. These are two qualities listed in parallel, not unlike those in the saying high and dry. The problem is, how can anything, wing or airplane, be shaped in a smooth manner? A shape is one quality, a physical quality of appearance, while smooth is another type of quality, one pertaining to touch. The two go together about as well as oil and water, and the lack of clarity in meaning is enough to see off the answer choice.

- Andrew

Could you please tell me whats the problem in E?

Thanks
Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2020, 12:53
Kunni wrote:
MentorTutoring wrote:
Parikshit07 wrote:

- Andrew

Could you please tell me whats the problem in E?

Thanks

Hello, Kunni. Choice (E) suffers from the same problem as the one just mentioned above: shaped smoothly does not make any sense. (I would not invoke the perfect tense either to express what (B) does already in clearer terms.)

- Andrew
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2020, 07:21
Artur Wierzbicki wrote:

Quote:
Original: with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them

I think this post might answer your question. :)

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 04:15
GMATNinja wrote:
Artur Wierzbicki wrote:

Quote:

I think this post might answer your question. :)

Quote:
Since the 1930’s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.

So, in B 'wings so smooth' is one thing and 'so perfectly shaped' another.?? I see it wrong though. 'Wings so smooth' is aright since smooth is adjective modifying noun.
Would 'so smoothly shaped and so perfectly shaped' OR 'so smoothly and so perfectly shaped' be wrong. ?? where smoothly modifies shaped.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Tutor
D
Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 05:56
lnm87 wrote:

Quote:

So, in B 'wings so smooth' is one thing and 'so perfectly shaped' another.?? I see it wrong though. 'Wings so smooth' is aright since smooth is adjective modifying noun.
Would 'so smoothly shaped and so perfectly shaped' OR 'so smoothly and so perfectly shaped' be wrong. ?? where smoothly modifies shaped.

Hello, lnm87. I have addressed your concern above, here. In short, smoothly shaped cannot go together. The adjective smooth is a tactile description, as is its adverbial form; the adjective shaped is a visual description. You can look at something and judge that it may be smooth, but you cannot describe an object as being smoothly shaped. No answer choice but (B) separates the two types of descriptions, a feature that makes (B) the correct answer by default.

- Andrew
VP
VP
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 06:56
I had gone through that post. Make sense. Marked B wrong for trying to identify whether smooth or smoothly is correct.
For me this is a subtle thing which i was unaware of.
MentorTutoring wrote:
lnm87 wrote:

Quote:

Hello, lnm87. I have addressed your concern above, here. In short, smoothly shaped cannot go together. The adjective smooth is a tactile description, as is its adverbial form; the adjective shaped is a visual description. You can look at something and judge that it may be smooth, but you cannot describe an object as being smoothly shaped. No answer choice but (B) separates the two types of descriptions, a feature that makes (B) the correct answer by default.

- Andrew

Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 10:12
lnm87 wrote:
I had gone through that post. Make sense. Marked B wrong for trying to identify whether smooth or smoothly is correct.

You are not alone in saying that this smooth/smoothly issue is subtle--this is a hard question for a reason, and it forces you to think more about meaning than about parts of speech. I am glad that the question makes sense to you now.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
VP
VP
V
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2020, 10:19
MentorTutoring wrote:
lnm87 wrote:

You are not alone in saying that this smooth/smoothly issue is subtle--this is a hard question for a reason, and it forces you to think more about meaning than about parts of speech. I am glad that the question makes sense to you now.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Also, in retrospect i see that had i been little more attentive towards A and D, having already eliminated C and E, i would have eliminated both of them for a straight one reason - modifier issue. That would have made it the most efficient way to eliminate wrong answer choices. Rest POE would have helped me choose B. Aargh..!!

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 21:33
I can't understand why smooth is deployed here instead of smoothly,which is adverb.
I think it should've been adverb.
Please ,experts, correct me and explain deeply if I am wrong
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 06:15
(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly - Requires Subject to refer to 'that' in the independent clause
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped - Correct
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect - should be smoothly and perfectly to modify Shaped
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner - Subject missing
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so - Having been .. so
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes   [#permalink] 25 May 2020, 06:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 

Since the 1930's aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics