Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The culmination of 2 months of prep: 760! [#permalink]
loacker wrote:
ashwink wrote:
Congratulations on the great score! That is a very high verbal score indeed!
Just a small question. Were the MGMAT books the only material you used for quant?

Seems like my earlier response was deleted. Yes MGMAT was the only material I used for the quant section, although I did solve all the questions in OG 13 as well as the Quantitative Review 2nd Edition. I also tried one of the free timed GMATClub practice sets but those questions were much more difficult than anything I encountered during my review or during the test, so I don't know if it's applicable for someone aiming for a Q47/48. I would focus on acing 600-700 level questions consistently.

Thank you very much. That was the exactly the problem. Either the question is too tough or it is easy. There is no middle ground on this for quant. Trying out new methods to eliminate answer choice now!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Amazing.

Best of luck with the application season then.

I am also against a rough journey, though i have been constantly been working on GMAT by now well one and half years.
The highest score in my pool of applicant was 550 until i broke it with a 620. However, make to 700+ my next goal is really nerve breaking.

Lets see what happens. It is good that you are strong in verbal and decently well on Quant. I need to work in both of the equally since i am a nonnative.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
First off all, congrats :-D Really impress on your Verbal score.

How did you prepare your SC and RC? What materials did you use to prepare in these sections?

Your story is the next one that recommend using PowerScore CR Bible for preparing CR. I haven't had a look at that book yet, so I thought I need to focus on that book to improve my CR score. Thank you for sharing :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Hi,

Congratulations on the great score and best of luck for your applications! You have no idea how happy your post made me. I am always on the lookout on this forum for someone who has an upper hand on verbal and slightly weak in quants. (since I consider myself one of those) :P and also because they are so rare!

I have my GMAT retake in precisely two weeks and as I know my strength is verbal I am aiming for a V40+ since I already got a V35 in my previous attempt. I will not diclose my quants marks as I am embarressed to do so. :/ Although my strategy is the same like you mentioned, target Q47-48 and aim for as high in verbal as I can and I am really drilling out of official questions strictly staying away from non official ones as they really confuse you. I just wanted to ask you what extra efforts I can make to ensure a V40+ in these last 12-13 days.

I have not been through powerscore CR bible and I believe it is too late for me to go through it although CR is one of my weaker side in verbal. My timings are also not an issue as I generally manage to finish verbal with 5-6 minutes remaining. What else can I do? I got a v39 in the last GMATprep exam I took though I did see a number of questions repeating. So, I am not sure. I usually get around 29-31 questions correct out of 41. I want to take it to 35.

Any suggestions are welcome! and congratulations once again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
First off all, congrats :-D Really impress on your Verbal score.

How did you prepare your SC and RC? What materials did you use to prepare in these sections?

Your story is the next one that recommend using PowerScore CR Bible for preparing CR. I haven't had a look at that book yet, so I thought I need to focus on that book to improve my CR score. Thank you for sharing :-D

SC I prepared for essentially by using manhattan gmat book and reading through the whole thing and solving the practice problems at the end of the chapter. I also took notes along the way for any rules that surprised me or that I wasn't aware of (e.g., the difference between "such as" and "like" when introducing examples). Then I solved all the SC questions in the OG and kept a log of which questions I got right and which questions I got wrong.

The notes were helpful because I would refer to them when I was drilling verbal if I ever came across a question I got wrong; usually it was a topic I had come across before but that I had forgotten. Being able to reference my notes was helpful because I could very quickly remember the rule that I need to keep in mind.

RC is harder to practice honestly. A big part of it is how well you read English, and that is the type of thing you can't really drill over the course of a few weeks. If anything I would say the best way to improve RC is to read scientific and business journals on a regular basis. I used to read The Economist on a weekly basis in college and I still read news daily, so I didn't need a lot of practice in understanding complex technical passages.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM