Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [40]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [9]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [7]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and the [#permalink]
rishabhmishra wrote:
Q. Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to immediately remove it before it spreads and becomes irremovable.
A.to immediately remove it before it spreads and becomes irremovable.
B.if it is immediately removed before it spread to become irremovable.
C.to be removed immediately before the Tumour spreads and becomes irremovable.
D.that it is immediately removed before it spreads to become irremovable.
E.to have it immediately removed before it spreads and becomes irremovable.
Source:- expertsglobal

Stuck in A and E..Kindly let me know the analysis..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [1]
Send PM
Re: Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and the [#permalink]
Kudos
[/quote]
I actually disagree with your explanation. The second part of the sentence states "the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour [...]". Someone can cure a tumor from another person, therefore A doesn't imply that a person has to cure the tumor by removing it himselve.

In my opinion, the mistake in A is that the verb is splitted "to immediately remove". "To" and the infinitive shouldn't be seperated by an adverb or any other word. If this logic is correct, changing the sentence to "to remove it immediately" would fix answer A and make it valid.

Because of the mistake I explained, E is preferrable over A.

Let me know what you think about my reasoning :-)[/quote]
basically look at this phase "Tumour is to immediately remove" this seems like you have something that causes problem and you have to simply remove it but in E "to have it immediately removed" this means to remove it by someone else. If you read meaning you will realize that even the source is saying thing after your explanation i saw this information from the source.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [6]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rishabhmishra wrote:
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to immediately remove it before it spreads and becomes irremovable.

A. to immediately remove it before it spreads and becomes irremovable.
B. if it is immediately removed before it spread to become irremovable.
C. to be removed immediately before the Tumour spreads and becomes irremovable.
D. that it is immediately removed before it spreads to become irremovable.
E. to have it immediately removed before it spreads and becomes irremovable.

Here is a short video explanation. Hope this helps.

All the best!
Experts'Global team
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
This is just a meaning question, in which you are the doer who can either remove the tumor himself or have it removed by a professional.

to have the tumor removed by a professional makes more sense
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
While we can argue the grammar, the sentence itself is illogical. You need to remove a malignant tumour, not a benign one. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
For those of you who are as confused as I was about A/E dilemma, E is preferred because "to have it removed" implies professional services, which should be the meaning behind this sentence. It is analogous to saying "to have your hair done", "to have your nails done", etc.
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Maxximus wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to immediately remove it before it spreads and becomes irremovable.

All the best!
Experts'Global team

Maxximus
Official Answer (E):
Quote:
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to have it immediately removed before it spreads and becomes irremovable.

I think, the use of FANBOYS (use of AND) is not correct here. In the better version there should have a COMMA before AND. If we don't use COMMA before AND the italic part will be considered as separate entity, but from the meaning it seems that the italic part is not separate entity. Also, the use of 'it" after "before" is awkward to me, at least for this SC. The better version should be using VERBing with verb (i.e., spread and become) as those verbs have been used after the word "before".

I need an official response from Experts' Global team.

The correct version should be:
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths, and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to have it immediately removed before spreading and becoming irremovable.
Asad wrote:
Maxximus wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:

All the best!
Experts'Global team

Maxximus
Official Answer (E):
Quote:
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to have it immediately removed before it spreads and becomes irremovable.

I think, the use of FANBOYS (use of AND) is not correct here. In the better version there should have a COMMA before AND. If we don't use COMMA before AND the italic part will be considered as separate entity, but from the meaning it seems that the italic part is not separate entity. Also, the use of 'it" after "before" is awkward to me, at least for this SC. The better version should be using VERBing with verb (i.e., spread and become) as those verbs have been used after the word "before".

I need an official response from Experts' Global team.

The correct version should be:
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths, and these may be benign or malignant; the most effective way to cure a benign Tumour is to have it immediately removed before spreading and becoming irremovable.

MartyTargetTestPrep, jennpt, AjiteshArun, ccooley, DmitryFarber, GMATNinja
It would be better if you give me an insights on my explanation.
Thanks__
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
An important fact that may have been skipped in these discussions is that to+verb always expresses a sense of intention.
'To have it removed' expresses intention to get something done.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
rishabhmishra wrote:

Is "to have it removed" passive? Please help
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:
rishabhmishra wrote:

Is "to have it removed" passive? Please help

Hello arya251294,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "to have it removed" is not a passive verb; in this sentence, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + have" in this case) serves as a noun phrase that refers to "way". Generally speaking, "to have something done" is not passive, as the subject is the one doing the action of "having something done", even if someone else is doing it.

For example, "I plan to have my house renovated." Here, the subject - "I" - is the one that will "have" the house renovated by some second party. The act of renovating is done by someone else, but "I" takes the active action of "having" the renovation done.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
Hi,

If you could perhaps help me understand the difference between Option A and Option E?

What makes Option A incorrect?
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Tumours are group of abnormal cells that form lumps of growths and the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Purvidebuka wrote:
Hi,

If you could perhaps help me understand the difference between Option A and Option E?

What makes Option A incorrect?

Hello Purvidebuka,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

In Option A, the construction "to immediately remove it" implies that the best way to cure the tumor is for the person who has the tumor to remove it themselves; this meaning is clearly illogical, as no one could possibly remove a tumor from their own body.

In Option E, the construction "to have it immediately removed" conveys a more logical meaning - that the best way to cure a tumor is to get it removed by a second entity; "to have something done" means to get someone else to do it.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '24 (A$)
GRE 1: Q170 V167
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
rishabhmishra wrote:

to immediately remove it before it spreads and becomes irremovable.

A: implies to do it on your own- logic error; Redundancy of 'it' makes the sentence awkward.

E: getting it removed professionally; simple sentence and best use of passive voice.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts