Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619009 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619009 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: V05-32 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Good question.
Please evaluate my approach: Negate option A, the statement is weakened.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
forsellingonline1 wrote:
What if there are students who are not able to hear?
How will option A work in that case?

Then he will not be sitting in phonics class but he will be sitting in visual expression class.. :cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Our reading program teaches third graders to use phonics to sound out multi-syllabic words by pronouncing prefixes and suffixes separately from base words, and then reading the word parts all together. Since children are still primarily reading aloud at this age, this approach ensures comprehension even in books that contain a high percentage of multi-syllabic words.

The approach of the summer reading program assumes which of the following about third graders’ comprehension of multi-syllabic words?

A. Students will recognize multi-syllabic words when they hear them.
B. Multi-syllabic words are all composed of prefixes and suffixes.
C. Third graders struggle more than other students with multi-syllabic words.
D. Comprehension is less important than sounding out words.
E. Other reading programs do not focus on multi-syllabic words.

Situation: A reading program teaches third-graders to sound out multi-syllabic words in order to understand them.

Reasoning: Which identifies the assumption underlying the program’s approach? The reading program teaches students a way of breaking down words and sounding them out. This strategy, together with the fact that children are still primarily reading aloud at this age, makes it clear that children are expected to recognize the words once they hear them.
  1. The program’s emphasis is on using sounds to figure out long words, making clear the assumption that children will recognize the words if they can only pronounce them.
  2. The passage does not make this claim for all multi-syllabic words.
  3. Third graders are not compared with other students in the passage.
  4. In fact, the passage states that words are sounded out so that comprehension can be ensured.
  5. Other reading programs are not compared in the passage.

Answer: A

My question is -
Is "recognizing" a word considered equivalent to "comprehending" it in the deemed correct answer choice?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Our reading program teaches third graders to use phonics to sound out multi-syllabic words by pronouncing prefixes and suffixes separately from base words, and then reading the word parts all together. Since children are still primarily reading aloud at this age, this approach ensures comprehension even in books that contain a high percentage of multi-syllabic words.

The approach of the summer reading program assumes which of the following about third graders’ comprehension of multi-syllabic words?

A. Students will recognize multi-syllabic words when they hear them.

comprehension
noun /ˌkɑːm.prəˈhen.ʃən/
the ability to understand completely and be familiar with a situation, facts, etc.

Comprehension and recognizing have two fundamentally different meanings. While the other answer choices don't make sense either, "recognize" threw me off and I ended up selecting an answer choice I knew made little sense. I only say this because I encountered this problem on the test, and I hope it gets fixed, and if there's no reason to fix it, I'd like an expert's explanation reconciling the discrepancy.

I've never encountered anything like this in an official GMAT problem and usually, the gap between "comprehension" and "recognize" is why answers are incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Here the assumption is actually: hearing the words helps better comprehend the words.

My interpretation of A was:
A. Students will recognize multi-syllabic words when they hear them: How does recognizing if a word is a tough one help the a child better understand/comprehend it? I marked B instead as I found A irrelevant.

B said that: Multi-syllabic words are all composed of prefixes and suffixes. Even though this isnt quite the main assumption of the statement one can say that the kids better comprehend all big words because they can read aloud the prefix and the suffix (assuming all big words have prefix and suffix)

In the Answer provided however it is assumed that recognize=comprehend (which I dont think is quite right, i'd say one would not face such an issue with a official question). If we let that pass we get the main assumption i.e. The students will recognize/understand the word when they HEAR them aloud.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts