GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 08:55
Muskangirl wrote:
how to defrenciate that if it is a question of fact and conclusion,cause and effect,or goal and plan

Posted from my mobile device

Usually, this is how arguments are structured:

Premises and conclusion
or
just premises if the question is looking for the conclusion from you.

Cause and effect is just the reasoning of the argument.

E.g.
Whenever A is high, B is high too.
Hence we can say that A causes B.

We are assuming that A is the cause of B. It is still a premises-conclusion argument.

Plan arguments are those which talk about a problem and a possible solution to fix them.
Here is a post on how to handle plan questions: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2017/1 ... reasoning/

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 02:20
Hi VeritasKarishma,

Twelve years ago, and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Thanks for your explanation in your post to this question. I just had a doubt regarding the conclusion.
I have been treating Plan questions in the same way i.e. If Plan then Goal so far. and here to in this case I see that
If pundra becomes weak then exports increase.
Therefore Plan is sufficient and the Goal Necessary and Success of the Plan is the assumption.

But, the power score bible which I have been referring identifies "in order to" to be followed by a sufficient condition. I have seen a couple of conclusions in my practise which are of the form in order to do X, we must do Y (in which case it holds) but in the above case it doesn't.

Therefore in order to is not necessarily a sufficient condition marker ?

Thanks,

Kanishka
D

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 03:11
kagrawal16 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma,

Twelve years ago, and again five years ago, there were extended periods when the Darfir Republic's currency, the pundra, was weak: its value was unusually low relative to the world's most stable currencies. Both times a weak pundra made Darfir's manufactured products a bargain on world markets, and Darfir's exports were up substantially. Now some politicians are saying that, in order to cause another similarly sized increase in exports, the government should allow the pundra to become weak again.

Thanks for your explanation in your post to this question. I just had a doubt regarding the conclusion.
I have been treating Plan questions in the same way i.e. If Plan then Goal so far. and here to in this case I see that
If pundra becomes weak then exports increase.
Therefore Plan is sufficient and the Goal Necessary and Success of the Plan is the assumption.

But, the power score bible which I have been referring identifies "in order to" to be followed by a sufficient condition. I have seen a couple of conclusions in my practise which are of the form in order to do X, we must do Y (in which case it holds) but in the above case it doesn't.

Therefore in order to is not necessarily a sufficient condition marker ?

Thanks,

Kanishka

Hey Kanishka,

Even though word markers are a help, I wouldn't trust them blindly. So I wouldn't worry about the use of "in order to". It depends on what follows it -
"...in order to do X, Y is required" or
"... in order to do X, Y is enough"

In plan-goal questions, it is logical that the plan is sufficient to achieve the goal. Otherwise, it is a flawed plan. In the question you mention, the plan certainly seems flawed. Based on past experience of weak pundra leading to increased exports, we are assuming that all we need to do to increase exports again is weaken pundra. So we are assuming that weak pundra is sufficient to increase exports though that may not be the case. Weak pundra isn't necessary either.
Option (B) tells us that capacity to produce more doesn't exist hence exports may not increase. Hence it brings in another factor on which exports depend.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 03:32
The usefulness of lie detectors cannot be overestimated. Although there is no employee screening procedure that is 100 percent accurate, the lie detector is a valuable tool for employers and employees alike. The lie detector’s usefulness is amply demonstrated in a recent survey conducted by a prestigious university. In the survey, those employees of a large company who were applying for a newly created position within the company were asked if they had ever worked on Project X. More than one-third of the applicants studied lied and said they had worked on the project—a project that never existed.

Which one of the following best identifies a flaw in the author’s argument about the usefulness of lie detectors?

(A) The argument depends on the assumption that whatever is good for the employer is good for the employee.

(B) Since lie detectors are known to be less than 100 percent accurate, the test will tend to help only those with something to hide.

(C) By referring to a prestigious university, the author is appealing to authority rather than to evidence.

(D) The study shows only that certain individual will lie, not that the lie detector can detect them.

(E) The author fails to address the issue that the use of lie detectors may fail to prevent embezzlement.

IMO B
but not able to comprehend B

"Press +1 KUDOS"

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 08:28
Hi VeritasKarishma

The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program because, with it, job applicants who have personalities that are unsuited to the requirements of the job will be eliminated from consideration.

The argument above logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) A hiring program will be successful if it includes interviews.

Why is option A incorrect?
conclusion is : interview is an essential part of successful hiring program.
Negated option: A hiring program is not successful if it has interviews.
this option then means that if a program has interviews, then it is not successful.
then can't we say that interview is not essential for successful hiring program?

Thank you for your time!

Regards
Nitesh
D
Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 03:37
Yash312 wrote:
The usefulness of lie detectors cannot be overestimated. Although there is no employee screening procedure that is 100 percent accurate, the lie detector is a valuable tool for employers and employees alike. The lie detector’s usefulness is amply demonstrated in a recent survey conducted by a prestigious university. In the survey, those employees of a large company who were applying for a newly created position within the company were asked if they had ever worked on Project X. More than one-third of the applicants studied lied and said they had worked on the project—a project that never existed.

Which one of the following best identifies a flaw in the author’s argument about the usefulness of lie detectors?

(A) The argument depends on the assumption that whatever is good for the employer is good for the employee.

(B) Since lie detectors are known to be less than 100 percent accurate, the test will tend to help only those with something to hide.

(C) By referring to a prestigious university, the author is appealing to authority rather than to evidence.

(D) The study shows only that certain individual will lie, not that the lie detector can detect them.

(E) The author fails to address the issue that the use of lie detectors may fail to prevent embezzlement.

IMO B
but not able to comprehend B

Here you go Yash312:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-usefulne ... l#p2214363

Karishma

D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 03:57
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program because, with it, job applicants who have personalities that are unsuited to the requirements of the job will be eliminated from consideration.

The argument above logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) A hiring program will be successful if it includes interviews.

Why is option A incorrect?
conclusion is : interview is an essential part of successful hiring program.
Negated option: A hiring program is not successful if it has interviews.
this option then means that if a program has interviews, then it is not successful.
then can't we say that interview is not essential for successful hiring program?

Thank you for your time!

Regards
Nitesh

Here you go Nitesh:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-intervie ... l#p2214367

Karishma

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 05:06
Hello VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

I have a doubt in this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/until-recent ... 80959.html

Here, in Option E, it says that titanium was discovered in the map prior to the discovery in B36 bible.

And the discovery of titanium in maps, bolsters the authenticity of the maps -> a part of the conclusion.

So, my questions is:
Is it not the reverse logic that the author might have missed taking into account?
Meaning authenticity of the presence of titanium in maps bolsters the idea of the presence of text in other documents before 16th century?

Regards,
Rishav
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 04:39
Hi VeritasKarishma

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ann-will-eit ... 86615.html

I need your expert opinion on this question.
I always get confused when we have If x then Y construction in the statements.
How do we negate such options?

Regards
Nitesh
D

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 04:48
rish2708 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

I have a doubt in this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/until-recent ... 80959.html

Here, in Option E, it says that titanium was discovered in the map prior to the discovery in B36 bible.

And the discovery of titanium in maps, bolsters the authenticity of the maps -> a part of the conclusion.

So, my questions is:
Is it not the reverse logic that the author might have missed taking into account?
Meaning authenticity of the presence of titanium in maps bolsters the idea of the presence of text in other documents before 16th century?

Regards,
Rishav

Hey RIshav,

Check here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/until-recent ... l#p2215985

Note that option (E) is implied from the argument. It is not a criticism of the reasoning used.

Karishma

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 19:20
Hi VeritasKarishma

Need your help on this. I was not able to comprehend the question correctly.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/surveys-show ... 67188.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

D

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 05:03
warrior1991 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Need your help on this. I was not able to comprehend the question correctly.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/surveys-show ... 67188.html

Hey warrior1991,

Check here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/surveys-show ... l#p2216791

Karishma

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 19:49
Hi VeritasKarishma

I have mentioned my query in the thread in the below question. Please help.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/tocqueville- ... 75950.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

D

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 03:12
warrior1991 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

I have mentioned my query in the thread in the below question. Please help.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/tocqueville- ... 75950.html

Hey warrior1991,
Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/tocqueville- ... l#p2218038

Karishma

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 05:01
Hi VeritasKarishma

Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark drug legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities. Primarily, the legislation created new controls for preventing the entry of illegal drugs from the neighboring country of Gordenia, a major producer of marijuana. However, there has been no major decrease in illegal drug use over the past year in the country’s major cities; in fact, drug use has gone up slightly in that period.

Which of the following, if true, explains how the drug legislation could have been successful despite the recent data?

(A) Most of the drug problems in Bedenia’s major cities involve drugs other than marijuana.
(B) Most illegal drug use in Bedenia occurs outside of the country’s major cities.
(C) Illegal drug use in cities dropped sharply immediately after the legislation was implemented
(D) Importation of marijuana decreased from countries other than Gordenia.
(E) Visits to drug treatment centers in the country’s major cities decreased dramatically following the legislation.

This is one of the Veritas prep problems.
I agree that choice c is the correct answer.
But what about choice e?

The question stem implies that we need to pick an option that would make the drug legislation more successful despite the recent data.
One pre thought: What if the the number of people using the drug reduced but the drug use/ person increased.

Now in option E:
(E) Visits to drug treatment centers in the country’s major cities decreased dramatically following the legislation.
If just after the legislation, the visits to drug centers decreased, it may mean that less people are taking drugs.
Infact this is one of the option with Option A that addressed time aspect i.e just after the legislation.
Why is then this option incorrect.

Regards
Nitesh
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 23:07
Hello VeritasKarishma ma'am,
Thanks for answering my previous queries and clearing the doubts.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-kravonia- ... 15609.html

In this question, the answer has to be C and there is no doubts about it.

However I have a query:
Whether the surge of supply of jobs after 4 years will lead to decrease in average price is another assumption and option C does rest on this.
Though it seems a bit obvious but still the option C depends on the bolded part right?

Can it be the case in general? I mean can an assumption be an answer which further depends on another assumption?

Usually this case does not show up.
Please help!
Regards,
Rishav

D

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 02:15
nitesh50 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

Two years ago, officials in Bedenia implemented landmark drug legislation to combat an explosion of illegal drug use in the country’s major cities. Primarily, the legislation created new controls for preventing the entry of illegal drugs from the neighboring country of Gordenia, a major producer of marijuana. However, there has been no major decrease in illegal drug use over the past year in the country’s major cities; in fact, drug use has gone up slightly in that period.

Which of the following, if true, explains how the drug legislation could have been successful despite the recent data?

(A) Most of the drug problems in Bedenia’s major cities involve drugs other than marijuana.
(B) Most illegal drug use in Bedenia occurs outside of the country’s major cities.
(C) Illegal drug use in cities dropped sharply immediately after the legislation was implemented
(D) Importation of marijuana decreased from countries other than Gordenia.

This is one of the Veritas prep problems.
I agree that choice c is the correct answer.
But what about choice e?

The question stem implies that we need to pick an option that would make the drug legislation more successful despite the recent data.
One pre thought: What if the the number of people using the drug reduced but the drug use/ person increased.

Now in option E:
If just after the legislation, the visits to drug centers decreased, it may mean that less people are taking drugs.
Infact this is one of the option with Option A that addressed time aspect i.e just after the legislation.
Why is then this option incorrect.

Regards
Nitesh

With (E), you are making a huge assumption that fewer visits to drug treatment centres means lesser drug use. What if after the legislation, people stopped going to treatment centres because of tighter legislation. They were afraid of action on them. The explanation of fewer visits could be plenty. It does not imply that drug use reduced.

Karishma

D

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 02:53
rish2708 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma ma'am,
Thanks for answering my previous queries and clearing the doubts.

In this question, the answer has to be C and there is no doubts about it.

However I have a query:
Whether the surge of supply of jobs after 4 years will lead to decrease in average price is another assumption and option C does rest on this.
Though it seems a bit obvious but still the option C depends on the bolded part right?

Can it be the case in general? I mean can an assumption be an answer which further depends on another assumption?

Usually this case does not show up.
Please help!
Regards,
Rishav

Here you go Rishav:

Karishma

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 13:31
Hello VeritasKarishma

I am deeply troubled with Assumption type questions. I am not able to sail through the simplest of the assumption questions however I do understand all the theories regarding assumption i.e. negation, pre-thinking, supporter/defender assumptions. Somehow I am still answering the questions because of gut feeling and not because of the correct rational.
Q1)
concerned Citizen: The American electoral system clearly possesses deep flaws and must be discarded in favor of a more fair and just system. In several recent elections, candidates who were leading in pre-election polls failed to win election to office.

The suggestion that the American electoral system must be discarded most strongly depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The candidate leading in pre-election polls won a majority of the popular vote in the actual election yet still failed to be elected.

B. The voting population did not significantly alter its feelings on which candidate was preferred during the time interval between the pre-election polls and the actual election.

C. The candidate winning the election consistently spent more money than the candidate who was leading in pre-election polls but failed to actually win.

D. The candidate who actually won office typically relied on a strongly negative campaign strategy and attacked his or her opponent's personal credibility in the final days before the election.

E. The elections in question were for major national or state offices and received considerable media coverage.

Here I rejected Option B simply because after negating the argument:
The voting population did significantly alter its feelings on which candidate was preferred during the time interval between the pre-election polls and the actual election.

I felt that here just alteration of feeling doesnt imply that candidates actually voted differently. So, I marked A. Later I realized that "poppular vote" part is insignificant and doesnt prove a point.

Q2)

Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic susceptibility an individual may have toward any particular disease. Eventually, effective strategies will be discovered to counteract each such susceptibility. Once these effective strategies are found, therefore, the people who follow them will never get sick.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) For every disease there is only one strategy that can prevent its occurrence.

(B) In the future, genetics will be the only medical specialty of any importance.

(C) All human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities

(D) All humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases.

(E) People will follow medical advice when they are convinced that it is effective.

Here I am not able to knock of D). Negating D:
"Not All humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases" This means that atleast 1 person is not genetically susceptible to some diseases, or to say atleast 1 person is susceptible to non-genetic disease.

Do you see a pattern here? Can you pleaaaaaseeeeee help me out!!!!!

Apologies for such a long post!!
Thanks
D

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 05:05
Mudit27021988 wrote:
Hello VeritasKarishma

I am deeply troubled with Assumption type questions. I am not able to sail through the simplest of the assumption questions however I do understand all the theories regarding assumption i.e. negation, pre-thinking, supporter/defender assumptions. Somehow I am still answering the questions because of gut feeling and not because of the correct rational.
Q1)
concerned Citizen: The American electoral system clearly possesses deep flaws and must be discarded in favor of a more fair and just system. In several recent elections, candidates who were leading in pre-election polls failed to win election to office.

The suggestion that the American electoral system must be discarded most strongly depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The candidate leading in pre-election polls won a majority of the popular vote in the actual election yet still failed to be elected.

B. The voting population did not significantly alter its feelings on which candidate was preferred during the time interval between the pre-election polls and the actual election.

C. The candidate winning the election consistently spent more money than the candidate who was leading in pre-election polls but failed to actually win.

D. The candidate who actually won office typically relied on a strongly negative campaign strategy and attacked his or her opponent's personal credibility in the final days before the election.

E. The elections in question were for major national or state offices and received considerable media coverage.

Here I rejected Option B simply because after negating the argument:
The voting population did significantly alter its feelings on which candidate was preferred during the time interval between the pre-election polls and the actual election.

I felt that here just alteration of feeling doesnt imply that candidates actually voted differently. So, I marked A. Later I realized that "poppular vote" part is insignificant and doesnt prove a point.

Q2)

Within 20 years it will probably be possible to identify the genetic susceptibility an individual may have toward any particular disease. Eventually, effective strategies will be discovered to counteract each such susceptibility. Once these effective strategies are found, therefore, the people who follow them will never get sick.

The argument above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) For every disease there is only one strategy that can prevent its occurrence.

(B) In the future, genetics will be the only medical specialty of any importance.

(C) All human sicknesses are in part the result of individuals' genetic susceptibilities

(D) All humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases.

(E) People will follow medical advice when they are convinced that it is effective.

Here I am not able to knock of D). Negating D:
"Not All humans are genetically susceptible to some diseases" This means that atleast 1 person is not genetically susceptible to some diseases, or to say atleast 1 person is susceptible to non-genetic disease.

Do you see a pattern here? Can you pleaaaaaseeeeee help me out!!!!!

Apologies for such a long post!!
Thanks

I think you are approaching it wrong. Assumption questions are solved keeping in mind what an assumption is.
It is a MISSING NECESSARY PREMISE.
Read about it here first:
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/0 ... sumptions/
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/0 ... -question/
https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/0 ... ons-again/

Don't jump to negation immediately. It is just one of the techniques that helps you when you are stuck. I will take the questions you talked about separately.

Karishma

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2019, 05:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12    Next  [ 233 posts ] 

Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap