It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Stanford '18
What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 23:36
Hi,

I am an Indian female with 2 years work experience (will have 3 by the time I join college). Stanford is like my dream college!
Company: Microsoft (Services division as a Consultant)
GMAT: 740
GPA: 3.8

Pros:
1. Good international exposure due to office visits and clients
2. Good communication and people skills
3. Will be able to get good recommendations
4. Good academic record

Cons:
1. Less work experience than average
2. No start up or entrepreneurship experience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)
Re: What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 00:16
Profile looks good. Would help if you mentioned which college you are from.
I recently applied to the Stanford GSB and got a reject. I think, in a college so selective you just have to make your best effort and hope for the best. I do think you have a chance if you get your application right.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 00:23
icefrog wrote:
Profile looks good. Would help if you mentioned which college you are from.
I recently applied to the Stanford GSB and got a reject. I think, in a college so selective you just have to make your best effort and hope for the best. I do think you have a chance if you get your application right.

Thanks for the reply! I'm from VIT University, Vellore

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 231

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 02:42
Your GMAT and GPA are well above average range for what is required by Stanford
you have given your professional attributes which seem to be good.But Stanford values uniqueness.You would have to describe some attributes which are unique to you and you only.
Think retrospectively and introspect yourself for the first question of Stanford " What matters to you most - and why?". You will get the answer to your doubts
Are you also thinking about other colleges other than Stanford?
I think Berkeley Haas would be also a good fit for a profile like yours

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 231

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 02:51
nanditabothra wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian female with 2 years work experience (will have 3 by the time I join college). Stanford is like my dream college!

Pros:
4. Good academic record

Cons:

Thank you for your detailed post. I have a couple follow up questions:

1) What type of work do you do specifically at Microsoft?
2) What school did you go to for undergraduate?

Your stats and experiences are pretty good to apply, though it is competitive even with roles and stats like yours. Because of that, I want to know more about your role to determine whether I would recommend you to apply now or wait another year. An additional year of experience would help you but if you are a leader (fast promotions, lead projects or work streams within projects) at work you could certainly apply now. I got someone into Stanford at age 21 so the experience is within the range.

Reach out if you want to chat or if you want further assistance with your applications.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 05:35
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
nanditabothra wrote:
Hi,

Pros:
4. Good academic record

Cons:

Thank you for your detailed post. I have a couple follow up questions:

1) What type of work do you do specifically at Microsoft?
2) What school did you go to for undergraduate?

Your stats and experiences are pretty good to apply, though it is competitive even with roles and stats like yours. Because of that, I want to know more about your role to determine whether I would recommend you to apply now or wait another year. An additional year of experience would help you but if you are a leader (fast promotions, lead projects or work streams within projects) at work you could certainly apply now. I got someone into Stanford at age 21 so the experience is within the range.

Reach out if you want to chat or if you want further assistance with your applications.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply!
1. I am a consultant at Microsoft. So my job includes interacting with enterprise customers, getting their requirements and developing solutions for them. Its a Dev profile but is centered around customer requirements and interaction. I have a bit of leadership experience in projects, promotions, etc but I work mostly as an individual contributor. I'm active at extra curricular stuff at work which include organizing a lot of events and my recommendations can probably back that up!
2. I have done my Computer Science Engineering from VIT, Vellore.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 05:37
rhine29388 wrote:
Your GMAT and GPA are well above average range for what is required by Stanford
you have given your professional attributes which seem to be good.But Stanford values uniqueness.You would have to describe some attributes which are unique to you and you only.
Think retrospectively and introspect yourself for the first question of Stanford " What matters to you most - and why?". You will get the answer to your doubts
Are you also thinking about other colleges other than Stanford?
I think Berkeley Haas would be also a good fit for a profile like yours

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely keep them in mind while applying. And yes I am planning to apply to Haas too :)

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 08:36
On the whole, your profile looks really good as Microsoft is a great company to have worked for and your international experience is a big advantage as well (that said, international experience usually doesn’t entail only office visits. Did you have a chance to work with international, diverse teams as well? If so, that is another huge advantage as most engineers do not have that opportunity).

While it is true that there are a lot of Indian engineers applying, most of them are not women (at ARINGO we see that Indian women have a much higher chance of being accepted, compared to men. 92 % of all the women we worked with, for more than 2 schools, got in in the end!)
Additionally, your GP and GMAT are strong as well.

As for the cons: startup and entrepreneurial experience is not a must, so that should not be anything you focus on too much. The work experience is another matter. You would need to work on your description of that in your application a lot. You said you have some leadership experience, so focusing on that, as well as listing any relevant accomplishments properly is vital as I see it. Have you been promoted at Microsoft, by the way? A promotion or change in role every two years would be excellent!

I would also mention extra curriculum, as Stanford especially (but also many other schools) are looking for “whole” or “round” profiles, so you would really need to add some volunteering or interesting hobbies to the list on top of what you already mentioned.

If you can make all of the above you have seem interesting and challenging enough, I would say your chances are good.

That said, Stanford is the toughest school (for anyone, not you specifically) to get into, so I would strongly advise you not to put all your eggs in one basket. You may want to consider Berkeley, MIT and UCLA given your profile, as well as the one year program in New York - Cornell Tech.

All in all I think you have a great profile. If you are interested, I am positive our consultants here at ARINGO and our strategy team that consists of a Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley and LBS alumni can help you with your essays and positioning to the school, when it comes to standing out.
If you would like to hear more, please send your details and cv to https://aringo.com/mba-process-registration and I will make sure our CEO, contacts you directly for a long chat…

But in any case: The best of luck to you!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:38
Hi

I am applying to Stanford this year. I would really appreciate if you could evaaluate my profile.

GMAT : 730

Profile:
Indian Male
Age 25

Education
- 7.73 GPA(scale of 10)
- Bachelors in Computer Science from NIT - Was in top 1% of the students who appeared for engineering exam across India
- Graduation Year: 2014

Work Experience:
- 3 years work ex, 4 years at the time of starting of the course

13 months with Samsung R&D, Delhi
- Worked on Tizen OS
- Worked on samsung smart TVs
- Got promoted within 8 months.

Left Samsung after 1 year and started my own startup. Worked on it for 2 years, before shutting it down.
- Raised funding which we eventually returned after we decided to shut down the company

Currently working as Assistant Marketing Manager at a Series B funded ecommerce startup
- handling Google and Facebook marketing
- handling monthly marketing budgets upto 160,000 USD or 10 million INR.

Extra- Curricular :
- Represented college in Nationals of Volleyball
- Was elected Sports seceretary in college
- Founded first cultural club of the college
- Core committee member of annual college fest

Post MBA goals
Work in marketing with top consumer companies for 4-5 years. Start my own company. (writing my essays around pursuing entrepreneurship as the eventual goal after gaining sufficient experience. The same reason why I joined another startup.)

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 865

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:52
well, your background education is impressive, but why you want to change your major, or is it a joke?
Also, I fell sad when I read that you are forced to foreclose your own company only after 2 years. It sounds heart-breaking, but this is a great story (dont get me wrong, I never have chance to learn about failures of companies in details)

I want to have you as my friend on social media like linked, or facebook, or twitter, is that fine?

Director
Director
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 01:52
amdeep wrote:
Hi

I am applying to Stanford this year. I would really appreciate if you could evaaluate my profile.

GMAT : 730

Profile:
Indian Male
Age 25

Education
- 7.73 GPA(scale of 10)
- Bachelors in Computer Science from NIT - Was in top 1% of the students who appeared for engineering exam across India
- Graduation Year: 2014

Work Experience:
- 3 years work ex, 4 years at the time of starting of the course

13 months with Samsung R&D, Delhi
- Worked on Tizen OS
- Worked on samsung smart TVs
- Got promoted within 8 months.

Left Samsung after 1 year and started my own startup. Worked on it for 2 years, before shutting it down.
- Raised funding which we eventually returned after we decided to shut down the company

Currently working as Assistant Marketing Manager at a Series B funded ecommerce startup
- handling Google and Facebook marketing
- handling monthly marketing budgets upto 160,000 USD or 10 million INR.

Extra- Curricular :
- Represented college in Nationals of Volleyball
- Was elected Sports seceretary in college
- Founded first cultural club of the college
- Core committee member of annual college fest

Post MBA goals
Work in marketing with top consumer companies for 4-5 years. Start my own company. (writing my essays around pursuing entrepreneurship as the eventual goal after gaining sufficient experience. The same reason why I joined another startup.)

well, your background education is impressive, but why you want to change your major, or is it a joke?
Also, I fell sad when I read that you are forced to foreclose your own company only after 2 years. It sounds heart-breaking, but this is a great story (dont get me wrong, I never have chance to learn about failures of companies in details)

I want to have you as my friend on social media like linked, or facebook, or twitter, is that fine?

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 02:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey chesstitans

I have been into marketing for last 3 years now and I want to gain experience in brand/product management before I venture again into entrepreneurship. Definitely, the startup experience is priceless and it was heartbreaking to shut it down but great lessons from the entire experience that will definitely come in handy when I go for my MBA.

Sure, lets connect on social media. Please DM your linkedin profile. Happy to connect! :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 03:55
Hi,

I am an Indian male with 9.5 years work experience (will have 10 by the time I join college). Stanford is my first choice.

Undergrad: IIT Roorkee, 2008

Company 1: Tata Steel for 3 Years
Company 2: Teach For India for 7 Years
Currently serving as a Director of Program Implementation for seven regions. In the previous role, was leading the program for entire region impacting 220 teachers and 9000 children. Found an organization in 2011 while teaching that is now impacting 6600 children across 4 cities in India.

GMAT: 710

GPA: 6.9 on the scale of 10

Can you evaluate my profile? Would love to hear thoughts/feedback.

Re: What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 03:55

What are my chances? - Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: ydmuley, mvictor

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap