It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:35

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the area of right triangle ABC?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jul 2017
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 1
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 08:24
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Data Sufficiency Geometry:

What is the area of right triangle ABC?

I) AB is 6
II) BC is 8

My first question is can we assume that B is the right angle in triangle ABC since B is written in between AB? If yes, the answer is C, or else E since multiple solutions can be found? Please let me know the answer too, thanks in advance. :)

OA: Not available.
Source: Mitul Gada's class handout.

Last edited by aashishagarwal2 on 26 Aug 2017, 10:47, edited 4 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 46 [1], given: 31

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 08:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hii aashishagarwal2,
No you can not assume that B is 90° just because it is placed in between A and C. Problem must state that ABC is a right angled triangle at B or state that AC is a hypotenuse.

kudos if it helps.

Kudos [?]: 46 [1], given: 31

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jul 2017
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 1
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 08:49
pushkarajnjadhav wrote:
Hii aashishagarwal2,
No you can not assume that B is 90° just because it is placed in between A and C. Problem must state that ABC is a right angled triangle at B or state that AC is a hypotenuse.

kudos if it helps.


What's your answer?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 46 [2], given: 31

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 09:46
2
This post received
KUDOS
aashishagarwal2
Hii,
In this case it seems that third side of triangle can take multiple values.
for further explanation see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUHqgCyKfc
so we can not find unique area of a triangle. So Answer must be E.

Kudos [?]: 46 [2], given: 31

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jul 2017
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 1
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:01
pushkarajnjadhav wrote:
aashishagarwal2
Hii,
In this case it seems that third side of triangle can take multiple values.
for further explanation see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUHqgCyKfc
so we can not find unique area of a triangle. So Answer must be E.


Can you please re-read the entire question and confirm? Its stated as right triangle ABC and not triangle ABC. Can we now assume B is the right angle? Sorry for trouble.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 31

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 11:08
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hii aashishagarwal2,

Even if ABC is right angled triangle there are two scenarios:
Scenario 1) hypotenuse is 8 then the remaining sides will be 6 and 2√7
Scenario 2) If 8 and 6 are two other sides of a right angled triangle then hypotenuse will be 10.

I hope, it is clear

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Location: United States (CO)
GPA: 3.1
Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 22:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
We can not simply assume that the right angle is B.
So my answer is E

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 88

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 23:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
It is clear that the statements alone are not sufficient to find the answer so (A), (B) and (D) are out.

We are left with (C) or (E)

Now lets consider two scenarios :

1. Triangle ABC is right angled at C
2. Triangle ABC is right angled at B

(Triangle ABC cannot be right angled at A because 6 will be the hypotenuse, which is not possible)

If we consider both statements together, two different areas are possible. (1/2 x 6 x 8 OR 1/2 x 6 x ~5.2) => No unique answer.

Hence, the answer should be (E)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 88

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41885

Kudos [?]: 128724 [2], given: 12182

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 00:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aashishagarwal2 wrote:
Data Sufficiency Geometry:

What is the area of right triangle ABC?

I) AB is 6
II) BC is 8

My first question is can we assume that B is the right angle in triangle ABC since B is written in between AB? If yes, the answer is C, or else E since multiple solutions can be found? Please let me know the answer too, thanks in advance. :)


If it's given that triangle ABC is right you CANNOT assume that B is a right angle, it might as well be A or C. So, the answer to this question is E.

Could you please tell me the source of the question and exact form of it as it appears in the source? Thank you.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128724 [2], given: 12182

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 167

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 09:56
Hi brunel
Please correct me If I am wrong.
the question says ABC is a right angle triangle.So any of the points A, B, C will have 90 degree.

I) AB is 6 Not sufficient
II) BC is 8 Not sufficient

But when we combine 1 and 2. there will be only one possible triplet 6,8,10 will form a triangle .And neither Ab or BC will be hypotenuse.

So we can use AB and Bc to calculate the area using 1/2 *AB*BC=1/2*6*8=24

Thanks
Abhinash

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 167

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 31

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 10:05
abhinashgc wrote:
Hi brunel
Please correct me If I am wrong.
the question says ABC is a right angle triangle.So any of the points A, B, C will have 90 degree.

I) AB is 6 Not sufficient
II) BC is 8 Not sufficient

But when we combine 1 and 2. there will be only one possible triplet 6,8,10 will form a triangle .And neither Ab or BC will be hypotenuse.

So we can use AB and Bc to calculate the area using 1/2 *AB*BC=1/2*6*8=24

Thanks
Abhinash



Hii Abhinash,
but we do not know about hypotenuse.
what if BC is a hypotenuse. then the remaining 2 sides will be 6 and 2√7 . And area of a triangle will be different.
Hence E.

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 167

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 10:12
pushkarajnjadhav wrote:
abhinashgc wrote:
Hi brunel
Please correct me If I am wrong.
the question says ABC is a right angle triangle.So any of the points A, B, C will have 90 degree.

I) AB is 6 Not sufficient
II) BC is 8 Not sufficient

But when we combine 1 and 2. there will be only one possible triplet 6,8,10 will form a triangle .And neither Ab or BC will be hypotenuse.

So we can use AB and Bc to calculate the area using 1/2 *AB*BC=1/2*6*8=24

Thanks
Abhinash



Hii Abhinash,
but we do not know about hypotenuse.
what if BC is a hypotenuse. then the remaining 2 sides will be 6 and 2√7 . And area of a triangle will be different.
Hence E.


Thanks for the reply
Ok. So please assume BC is hypotenuse.Hypotenous^2= sum of other two side ^2.

Can it be true that BC^2=Ac^2+Ab^2 which means in this case 8^2=10^2+6^??Which is not.
This will be same if we assume Ab as hypotenuse. Hope its clear

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 167

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Feb 2017
Posts: 64

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 31

Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 10:19
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
abhinashgc wrote:
pushkarajnjadhav wrote:
abhinashgc wrote:
Hi brunel
Please correct me If I am wrong.
the question says ABC is a right angle triangle.So any of the points A, B, C will have 90 degree.

I) AB is 6 Not sufficient
II) BC is 8 Not sufficient

But when we combine 1 and 2. there will be only one possible triplet 6,8,10 will form a triangle .And neither Ab or BC will be hypotenuse.

So we can use AB and Bc to calculate the area using 1/2 *AB*BC=1/2*6*8=24

Thanks
Abhinash



Hii Abhinash,
but we do not know about hypotenuse.
what if BC is a hypotenuse. then the remaining 2 sides will be 6 and 2√7 . And area of a triangle will be different.
Hence E.


Thanks for the reply
Ok. So please assume BC is hypotenuse.Hypotenous^2= sum of other two side ^2.

Can it be true that BC^2=Ac^2+Ab^2 which means in this case 8^2=10^2+6^??Which is not.
This will be same if we assume Ab as hypotenuse. Hope its clear


see the solution given in image
Attachments

abc.jpg
abc.jpg [ 592.17 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Aug 2013
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 167

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 10:25
Thanks a lot pushkarajnjadhav. I thought of only 6,8 and 10.Now its clear to me.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 167

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jul 2017
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 1
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
What is the area of right triangle ABC? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 10:46
Bunuel wrote:
aashishagarwal2 wrote:
Data Sufficiency Geometry:

What is the area of right triangle ABC?

I) AB is 6
II) BC is 8

My first question is can we assume that B is the right angle in triangle ABC since B is written in between AB? If yes, the answer is C, or else E since multiple solutions can be found? Please let me know the answer too, thanks in advance. :)


If it's given that triangle ABC is right you CANNOT assume that B is a right angle, it might as well be A or C. So, the answer to this question is E.

Could you please tell me the source of the question and exact form of it as it appears in the source? Thank you.


Hi Bunuel,

The source is Mitul Gada's class handout. Also, the exact words are as stated in the question "What is the area of right triangle ABC?". Since, they are saying right triangle ABC, I was hoping to assume B is the right angle. But guess you're saying we can't do that?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 60

What is the area of right triangle ABC?   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 10:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the area of right triangle ABC?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.