Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on [#permalink]
Quote:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

(A) on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there
(B) about the books James Baldwin wrote in France
(C) into James Baldwin's books written while in France
(D) on the books of James Baldwin, written while he lived in France
(E) the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France

Request Expert Reply:
Q1: What does 'James Baldwin wrote' play role in choice E? Is it modifier or anything else?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on [#permalink]
abhimahna wrote:
StrugglingGmat2910 wrote:
sir Can you please clarify why A is wrong
according to pronoun rule :his/her can refer to apostrophes and he and she can only refer to noun
but in the above sentence when we use: that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there . why can't the he refer to the baldwin mentioned

Hey StrugglingGmat2910 ,

Problem with A is that we have two nouns to which "he" can refer to.

It could be either the professor or Baldwin. Therefore, the meaning is ambiguous here. Who was living in france?

Does that make sense?

hey AndrewN its me again :lol:

abnimahna mentions that there are two nouns in option A but doesnt option E have the two nouns :? " the professor or Baldwin" so "He" could refer to the professor or Baldwin in option E as well :?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
StrugglingGmat2910 wrote:
sir Can you please clarify why A is wrong
according to pronoun rule :his/her can refer to apostrophes and he and she can only refer to noun
but in the above sentence when we use: that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there . why can't the he refer to the baldwin mentioned

Hey StrugglingGmat2910 ,

Problem with A is that we have two nouns to which "he" can refer to.

It could be either the professor or Baldwin. Therefore, the meaning is ambiguous here. Who was living in france?

Does that make sense?

hey AndrewN its me again :lol:

abnimahna mentions that there are two nouns in option A but doesnt option E have the two nouns :? " the professor or Baldwin" so "He" could refer to the professor or Baldwin in option E as well :?

Hello, dave13. How about we look at the sentence in question?

Quote:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on James Baldwin’s books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

The real issue is that, as has been mentioned above, the verb research is not followed by a preposition. (Contrast this with the noun research, which can, in fact, use a preposition—The professor left on sabbatical to conduct research on/into [something].) I do not see an ambiguous he because the present perfect has taken precludes it. If you view the sentence as though he may refer to the professor, you get a garbled mess:

A professor... has taken a sabbatical to research... while he was living there.

If the simple past took were used instead, I could see the problem, but with has taken, I expect a present-tense is living (or lives) to agree with it. Jumping back into the past simply makes no sense.

If we compare (A) and (E) side by side, we can expose other flaws:

Quote:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research
(A) on James Baldwin’s books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

The repetition in (A) of both Baldwin and, in a manner of speaking, France (the referent of there) is unnecessary and hampers the expression of vital meaning. For all these reasons, (A) can safely be eliminated.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Q1: What does 'James Baldwin wrote' play role in choice E? Is it modifier or anything else?

Hi TheUltimateWinner,

"The books James Baldwin wrote" = "the books that James Baldwin wrote"

"That James Baldwin wrote" is a modifier for "the books".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France.

Is "HE" not ambiguous?

A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France.

It can mean...
1) A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while the professor lived in France.
or
2) A professorat the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while James Baldwin lived in France.

so why is [E] correct ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France.

Is "HE" not ambiguous?

A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France.

It can mean...
1) A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while the professor lived in France.
or
2) A professorat the university has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while James Baldwin lived in France.

so why is [E] correct ?

Hello, Tanchat. I have addressed this very point in an earlier post, here. In short, it would not make sense to say that a professor has taken a sabbatical to research something, a present action, and then jump into the past to talk about that same professor.

Also, pronoun ambiguity is not an automatic death sentence against an answer choice, not to mention that there may be certain grammatical nuances about the topic that you could be unaware of. See, for instance, this post by GMATNinja to a different question.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello, Pankaj0901. I will comment on your sentences below.

Pankaj0901 wrote:
Very nice explanation egmat.

I have a query. Let's consider another example:

I like the pizza that is prepared in the microwave.
"that is prepared in the microwave" - is a dependent clause.
"that" - subject; referring to "pizza".

As mentioned by egmat: If that does not act as the subject of the dependent clause it starts, it can be omitted.

This implies: "that" in the above example cannot be omitted, as it acts as the subject of the dependent clause.

The first sentence is fine, for the very reason you have stated.

Pankaj0901 wrote:
BUT:
I like the pizza that prepared in the microwave.
This sentence is definitely not wrong, as "prepared in the microwave" is correctly modifying the pizza.

Now you have created a different type of sentence altogether. This sentence can mean two different things:

1) I like the microwave-prepared pizza.

2) I like the pizza to be prepared in the microwave.

If you want to stick with that, you should include its helping verb here:

3) I like the pizza that is prepared in the microwave.

Yes, we are back to square one with this third sentence.

Pankaj0901 wrote:
Furthermore, my understanding is:

I like the pizza that is prepared in the microwave.
In the above example, "prepared" is not the action done by "pizza". Who prepared the pizza? (Answer: Not "pizza")

I like the pizza that contains only vegetables.
Unlike the example mentioned by egmat, wherein, the verb "contains" is the action done by "pizza". Who/What contains vegetables? (Answer: "Pizza")

AndrewN - Request your views. Is my understanding correct? Not sure if I am missing something- I was a bit confused with the examples shared by egmat when I applied the same theory to my examples.

I would not complicate the matter by turning to such considerations, the doer of an action. Does pizza need to prepare itself to use that? Of course not. You can seek to draft up a bunch of rules to cover all your bases, but it is way more fun and productive to see how such concepts may come up in questions you run across in practice... or not. (Trust me, many issues you may think are vital are more narrowly tested. Remember, you get only 14-16 SC questions on your exam, and GMAC™ likes to make those questions count by packing in a lot of potential considerations for you to mull over in each. Sometimes I do not even make it past the first such consideration because I already know that that answer choice, as well as any other answer choice that mimics the issue in question, is wrong.) Keep it simple.

I hope that helps with your concerns, at least somewhat. Of course, e-GMAT can feel free to offer any further analysis of its own.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep

putting the idiom aside, is there anything else we can use to eliminate the wrong answer choices? for example, i instantly eliminated A, B and E because I felt that the pronoun "he" was ambiguous. Though I know it is not an absolute rule, it is not clear on who is living in France, so how can answer choice E be correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hello experts,
VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja, @sayantanc2k,@AndrewN,@generis,@AjiteshArun, @DmitrytFarber,@MagooshExpert,@EducationAisle,@GMATNinjaTwo, nightblade354, marty Murray

I have couple of doubts about this sc question. can you please enlighten?

1. here i am confused because non underlined part 'to research' seems like infinitive and not verb. in this sentence subject is 'a professor' and verb is 'has taken', so how come two verbs are connected without any connector( IF WE TAKE TO RESEARCH AS VERB).
2. in option E, how can we be so sure that he is referring to ' james baldwin' since in option D also 'written....in france' is modifying the the books. isn't it both options conveying same idea?

Thanks in advance
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kadamhari825

1) You seem to have answered your own question. "To research" is an infinitive, not a verb. It serves as an adverbial modifier explaining why the professor has taken a sabbatical.
2) There's not really another candidate for "he." First, James Baldwin is who were are talking about in that part of the sentence. Second, the part about the professor is in the present perfect, while this part is in the past. The only way we could read "he" as the professor is to imagine that the research will be on the books Baldwin happened to be writing at some previous time when the professor was living in France. That's pretty strange, and there's no reason to go to all those contortions when there's a more reasonable interpretation. Even if we somehow like that interpretation, it doesn't fit the meaning of most of the other choices. Remember, pronoun ambiguity is only a problem if the intended meaning has not been made sufficiently clear.

As for the part about D, I don't follow your reasoning, so feel free to follow up if needed. Yes, "written" modifies the books. The problem with D is that it implies that ALL of Baldwin's books were written in France, when we should be looking at just the subset of Baldwin's books that were written in France. However, none of that affects the pronoun "he," which still refers to Baldwin. (D also has the incorrect idiom "to research on." In fact, the simplest way to solve this question is just to scan the initial idioms and cut everything but E.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

putting the idiom aside, is there anything else we can use to eliminate the wrong answer choices?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
walker wrote:
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there.

(A) on James Baldwin's books that Baldwin wrote in France while he was living there
This gives us a meaning as though Baldwin is a different personality altogether distorting the meaning therefore out

books can be written in French and not France , meaning error therefore out

into just doesn't make any sense and is absolutely unnecessary therefore out

Commas is unnecessary since sentence uses dependent clauses therefore out

THe meaning and usage is perfect

Therefore IMO E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
But what if someone is not able to understand that "Reserarch" here is used as a verb? Please help.

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
walker wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• When “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + on”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase “James Baldwin's books...was living there”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “books James Baldwin wrote in France”; the omission of the word “lived” incorrectly implies that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while located in France; the intended meaning is that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + about”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “James Baldwin's books written while in France”; the construction of this phrase and the omission of the word “lived” incorrectly imply that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research James Baldwin's books that were written while the books were in France; the intended meaning is that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + into”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + on”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun. Further, Option D uses the passive voice construction “books of James Baldwin”, rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France”, conveying the intended meaning – that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France. Further, Option E correctly uses the idiomatic construction “research (verb) + noun”. Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
walker wrote:

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• When “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + on”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase “James Baldwin's books...was living there”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “books James Baldwin wrote in France”; the omission of the word “lived” incorrectly implies that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while located in France; the intended meaning is that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + about”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “James Baldwin's books written while in France”; the construction of this phrase and the omission of the word “lived” incorrectly imply that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research James Baldwin's books that were written while the books were in France; the intended meaning is that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + into”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction “research (verb) + on”; please remember, when “research” is used as a verb, it requires no helping word and is followed directly by a noun. Further, Option D uses the passive voice construction “books of James Baldwin”, rendering it awkward and needlessly indirect.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “books James Baldwin wrote while he lived in France”, conveying the intended meaning – that the professor has taken a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote during the period of time in which he lived in France. Further, Option E correctly uses the idiomatic construction “research (verb) + noun”. Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

I am unable to understand how "to research" is a verb here. Isn't it a to verbal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
A professor at the university has taken a sabbatical to research on [#permalink]
Can someone explain what "he" refers to? the professor or J.Brown?

Either in choice A or E?

and does "he" can be used as a split?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
AhmedMoharam89 wrote:
Can someone explain what "he" refers to? the professor or J.Brown?

Either in choice A or E?

and does "he" can be used as a split?

Hi AhmedMoharam89,

He refers to James Baldwin in option E. The intended meaning cannot be that the professor took a sabbatical to research the books James Baldwin wrote while the professor lived in France.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
GMATNinja Can you please explain why answer choice A is incorrect .
Is it only because of non idiomatic construction ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts