Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q170 V168
GPA: 3.94
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Profile evaluation appreciated!

Basics
Male, 24, White (Ukrainian, Jewish Immigrant —> American Citizen)

Undergrad
Hunter College (Macaulay Honors Program) in City University of New York (CUNY)
Major: Computer Science, Minor: Political Science
GPA: 3.94, GRE: V - 168, Q - 170, AW - 5.5

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience
- Software Engineer at Bloomberg for 3 years (full-time)
- Adjunct Lecturer of CS at Hunter College (part-time in evenings after Bloomberg)
- iOS Developer Intern at Foursquare (full-time summer internship)

Extracurriculars
- hackNY Fellow 2015 and Mentor 2016 & 2017 (Social good + tech organization)
- Moot Court Team Co-founder at Hunter College

Miscellaneous
- Stanford Summer Session Student (GPA: 4.0)
- Technology-based research in (1) Geography lab and (2) Computer Vision/Robotics lab
- Tech projects including MORPG game (college Capstone), un-“filter bubbled” news app (Facebook Journalism Project winner)

Recommenders
- Team Lead at Bloomberg (MBA & MS)
- Assistant Professor of CS at USF (MBA & MS)
- CS Chair at Hunter College (MS only)

Post MBA/MS Goals (Note: I am applying to MBA and MS in CS dual or joint degree programs)
- Globalizing volunteerism across disciplines through a design-thinking, civic-tech based startup
- CTO or Team Lead at self-founded or early stage startup, or Google X
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi, can someone please evaluate my profile?

Background and nationality: 27, Indian Female

Undergrad Information: 5 year integrated course (BE+ MBA) from Panjab University. The MBA experience wasn't close to what one would expect, hence crave for another one.

GMAT: 730

Work experience and leadership: 5 years as of 2018. Joined Barclays as part of accelerated leadership program for graduates, and since then have been working as Business Analyst on transformational Big Data retail products for customers. On daily basis work with colleagues from marketing, compliance, legal, technology and proposition adoption managers.

International exposure: have worked with colleagues from UK, Spain, Italy, France. Have traveled to Singapore and UK for work as well.

Community and others (I'm not paid for this. This is completely voluntary): Run many initiatives as HeForShe* Lead at work. Active community Ambassador for the past 5 years and organised multiple clothes/stationary donation drives and fund raisers. Won several awards as women talent pipeline, and for my contribution to community

Post MBA goals: want to work as product marketing/brand manager for a technology firm.

Anything else: will be a re applicant this year. Last year got dinged after being on Ross' waitlist for R2.

Any tips to crack this time would be appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more details.

* United Nation's campaign to promote gender equality

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:

Undergrad Information: 5 year integrated course (BE+ MBA) from Panjab University. The MBA experience wasn't close to what one would expect, hence crave for another one.

Work experience and leadership: 5 years as of 2018. Joined Barclays as part of accelerated leadership program for graduates, and since then have been working as Business Analyst on transformational Big Data retail products for customers. On daily basis work with colleagues from marketing, compliance, legal, technology and proposition adoption managers.

International exposure: have worked with colleagues from UK, Spain, Italy, France. Have traveled to Singapore and UK for work as well.

Community and others (I'm not paid for this. This is completely voluntary): Run many initiatives as HeForShe* Lead at work. Active community Ambassador for the past 5 years and organised multiple clothes/stationary donation drives and fund raisers. Won several awards as women talent pipeline, and for my contribution to community

Post MBA goals: want to work as product marketing/brand manager for a technology firm.

Anything else: will be a re applicant this year. Last year got dinged after being on Ross' waitlist for R2.

Hi Swarman,

You profile looks good and the career goals sound to be in sync with your work experience. At the top programs, worthy applicants miss out because of the sheer competition from a strong(er) applicant pool. So looking at the info you have provided, there's not much I can say in terms of why you lost out last year or what you need to do better- we will really have to see your last year's applications to give that insight.
I will suggest that you don't just re-apply, but also add some new programs to your target list. If you are reapplying to Booth then a change in their main essay questionwill allow you to add new elements to your profile, without being repetitive.

feel free to share your resume with us for a more detailed profile discussion. A phone call will also help us understand about your last year's applications.

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 12 Jul 2018, 23:48.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 13 Jul 2018, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hello swarman

Your 'stats' are decent. On paper you seem to have a well rounded & balances profile. Check on everything- GMAT, Work Ex, Extracurricular. Nothing is off the charts, but no glaring weaknesses either. That simply means that the devil is hidden in the execution of your actual application. Either career goals, professional journey, overall story, interview or a combination of these what went wrong.
Tough to say without having a detailed look.
For next time just make sure of these-
1. Plan a strategy before applying
2. Of course do not do the same things you did last time- may want to get it looked over by someone
3. Shortlist the right mix of schools- do not select all re-application schools ,it is a big gamble.
4. Identify and make sure last time's mistakes are not getting repeated.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

swarman wrote:

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
simonayzman wrote:

Basics

Undergrad

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience
- Adjunct Lecturer of CS at Hunter College (part-time in evenings after Bloomberg)

Extracurriculars

Miscellaneous
- Technology-based research in (1) Geography lab and (2) Computer Vision/Robotics lab
- Tech projects including MORPG game (college Capstone), un-“filter bubbled” news app (Facebook Journalism Project winner)

Recommenders

Post MBA/MS Goals (Note: I am applying to MBA and MS in CS dual or joint degree programs)
- Globalizing volunteerism across disciplines through a design-thinking, civic-tech based startup

Hi,
Your profile sounds perfect. I'd emphasize max on your goals - its not very obvious with the short description above how they tie in with your experiences so far, but do connect those dots when you are applying and make a sound case for yourself.

You'll also want to convince the adcom that you are a star student who can handle the workload of two courses simultaneously.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Hi simon,

Great stats - GPA and GRE. Not clear what kind of leadership you have had at work, and outside. Your goals are completely out there - shooting for the moon. Your tech background will put you in a fairly competitive pool of applicants.

In general, if you want to make a short-term goal of entrepreneurship, then you better have a good idea of what kind of company you want to start, and it will be useful if that business requires an MBA. Civic-tech seems quite far-fetched. How many such firms are there that hire from anywhere?

While I appreciate your zeal and desire to bring about significant change, you might want to consider toning it down a bit while applying to b-school. I would encourage a top 10 app. Including Booth. I visited Booth last month and was floored by the amount of work they do in the social space. So if you tone down your aspirations, you might find yourself a good fit there.

Regards,
Karthik

simonayzman wrote:

Basics

Undergrad

Awards
- College Valedictorian
- Hertog Scholar
- Goldsmith Scholar

Experience

Extracurriculars

Miscellaneous

Recommenders

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Hi Swarman,

Good to hear from you.

Good GMAT, though several Indian applicants have higher GMATs. The second MBA factor is always a concern.

Workwise, it seems that you've done well. Good EC's as well.

Some tips:

1) Clearly connect your post-MBA goals to your background (show that you can transfer some skills over). Also, explain how an MBA (another one) will help.

2) Try to bring out your personal stories clearly in your application essays (going beyond the resume) - perhaps you've done a good job of this already. Perhaps not. I don't know. Just letting you know that this is something you need to pay attention to.

3) Expand your range of schools.

Best,
Karthik

swarman wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GRE 1: Q164 V164
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi EricSayres,

I remember reviewing your profile last year (https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-revi ... l#p1922321). I'm excited to see that you made the transfer to TAS happen as I think that improves your profile significantly, and helps to show you are serious about switching careers and taking on new challenges to develop yourself professionally.

Otherwise, your stats are still very strong and will put you in an above average position at Booth so you've got a good shot.

There are still lots of Big 4 applicants, but I think your extracurriculars are strong and may help set you apart.

Essays are going to be super important for you to demonstrate how you will make the transition to banking and what kinds of products and impact you're passionate about having in the future. With the second essay, use it as a chance to show Booth the person that you are today (both personally and professionally), what has shaped the key decisions you've made in your life, and how you will fit into the Booth culture. Be sure to watch our Booth essay tips here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otafOwZoXaU

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help with any other questions.
Kate

EricSayres wrote:
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not sure if this helps anyone but I got into Booth with a significant scholarship as a Round 2 applicant for the class of 2020 and was expected by everyone (including myself) NOT to get in, let alone a large scholarship. My "stats" are below:

I had 3.03 GPA from a small liberal arts school on the east coast and was a Psychology major (Bachelor of Arts). I worked (at the time of application) for 5.5 years in marketing/communications since the time of my graduation. However, I worked at very small "no name" firms throughout my work history and I bounced around to three different jobs (FYI, this is considered not ideal). Also, I know that this is the GMAT Club, but I submitted GRE scores to Booth and clearly they didn't have an issue with them.

All that being said, I was advised to not waste my time in applying to Booth because I was very clearly NOT the ideal candidate on paper. Things that I did have going for me were very strong recommendations and a good, very "linear" story to tell about my career path, and supplemental recommendations from executives in Chicago that were Booth alumni. I would be remiss if I left out the fact that I am a Latina and therefore a "double minority" in the eyes of most schools as well.

I still consider myself really lucky to have gotten in. I think being a minority really helped my case but also being a "minority" in my desired field of interest. Booth generally doesn't attract a lot of marketers, so I think my "differentness" was what appealed to them. Also, I know from speaking to my interviewer that real, tangible leadership experience is very important. To quote him he said that, "You were the only applicant that had actually taken an idea, led a team, and completed/implemented your idea. Other applicants were too clearly just part of team, but not major contributors to it."

So, I think what Booth is looking for are people that are a little bit different than your average MBA applicant. They seem committed to diversity and to leadership. I think if anything, work experience really matters as well as making you, the person, stand out beyond your stats because they are not enough to carry you through, no matter how stellar they may be. On the flip side, you don't know until you try and as someone who almost didn't because everyone told me I was a long shot, and got in, I would highly encourage you to apply anyway once you feel that you really have your story nailed down.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello,

Do I stand a realistic chance of getting in? My profile:

1.) Indian Female, 24, Muslim
2.) GMAT: 730 (q50, v39, IR-3( I know it's bad!), AWA-6.0)
3.) Undergrad: Engineering , GPA: 4.0 (according to MBA.com conversion table)
4.) Currently working at Dell Technologies, 2 years of work experience after graduating. (Will be 3 yrs before joining the school)

International work experience: YES (was one of the select few to attend the Dell Annual IT Summit at Austin and learnt a lot from the experience)

I joined my team as a software analyst but my manager seeing good management and communication skills in me, encouraged me to take up project management and thus I became a project coordinator for my team within 6 months of joining the company. I worked with my team to do anything possible to help them perform at their highest level. This involves removing any impediments to progress, communicating with other teams for requirements, etc. So, you might say I have managing experience as well. I was a Scrum Master for my team and I have a certification of Certified Scrum Master as well.

5.) Extra-curricular: Vocalist in college band and still sing sometimes at clubs,worked with NGOs to help educate poor muslim girls, blogging, modelling, travelling

I was also the networking lead in the IT Development Program in Dell. I have organised numerous events and led all the members(in numbers of 50-60) of the ITDP program on various occasions.

Post MBA goals: Product Marketing Manager in a company I believe in.
Long term goals: Chief Marketing officer , again in a company I believe in.

Please give an honest feedback if I have a shot at getting in. And if not, which schools do you suggest me to apply to?

Thanks a bunch!!
Tasneem
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
1.) Indian Male, 37
2.) GMAT: 710
3.) Undergrad: Engineer , 80%+
4) Masters: Science, 80% +
4.) 13+ years of work experience in Energy Sector. Currently working as expatriate in KL in major IOC (12 years). International work experience: YES (8 years spanning Africa & SE Asia)
5.) Extra-curricular: Scuba, Chess, Travel blogging, philanthropy

Post MBA goals: Shift to Business Strategy/Planning group within Energy Industry
Long term goals: Be part of Energy Think Tanks, provide solutions Governments/Industries for sustainable, efficient & affordable energy generation/consumption

I am not able to share full details for confidentiality. Do you believe, I am on wrong side of the age?

Pluto
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Hey,

My profile in brief:
10th Grade - 88%
12th Grade - 86%
B.E. Computer Engineering - 60% (73% in the final year if that counts for anything)
GMAT - 730

Work Experience:
-2 years as a data scientist at Mu Sigma Business Solutions, data science consulting primarily. Worked with two of the Fortune 10 companies on completely different projects - won an award in each of these. Was also an R programming & SQL trainer for freshers.
-1 year as a senior business intelligence analyst at Endurance International Group. Set up the analytics stack here. Most of my job here is getting cross-functional insights so its more of a strategic role. Mentor a bunch of freshers here too

Extra Curricular:
-Freelance web developer during college - made over 10 websites
-Was a part of a global organization called AIESEC. Managed a team of 10, spearheaded two youth leadership events (2012-2014)
-Teach For India Volunteer (2018). I teach kids with a learning disorder in a government school. ~ 7.5 hours a week

Awards and Achievements:
- Won an award for the most progressive AIESEC team (amongst 24 participating cities)
- Won two awards at my first job
- Got promoted twice so far

I've had multiple internships during college along with the extra cirriculars mentioned, not sure if that explains a low grade.

Reason to do an MBA:
-Add extensive finance and operation knowledge to my toolkit

Please review my profile for Booth
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

would be thankful for your evaluation!

Background and nationality: BIG3 Consulting, Eastern Europe
Undergrad Information: top uni in an Easter European country (but not top in outside of the country), economics, stellar GPA
GMAT: 700 (Q45, V40)
Work experience and leadership: 2 yrs corporate finance, 2 years consulting
Community and others: lots of EC in undergrad, some good EC during work
Post MBA goals: short-term - consulting; long-term - not sure

Thanks

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi eka27,

Not a ton of info to go off here, but I think you can give Booth a shot, though I do worry about some aspects of your profile, like the low overall GMAT and low quant score, and potentially light ECs now (depending). But your GPA is great, and there are not a ton of applicants from Eastern Europe, so that may give you a slight boost. Definitely will need a more specific / well researched career goal. Even if you're returning to consulting, you want to be able to say how your post-MBA role will be different and any areas you intend to specialize in.

Good luck!
Kate

eka27 wrote:
Hi all,

would be thankful for your evaluation!

Background and nationality: BIG3 Consulting, Eastern Europe
Undergrad Information: top uni in an Easter European country (but not top in outside of the country), economics, stellar GPA
GMAT: 700 (Q45, V40)
Work experience and leadership: 2 yrs corporate finance, 2 years consulting
Community and others: lots of EC in undergrad, some good EC during work
Post MBA goals: short-term - consulting; long-term - not sure

Thanks

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q164 V168
Send PM

Originally posted by bschool2019 on 20 Sep 2018, 10:34.
Last edited by bschool2019 on 05 Dec 2018, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
bschool2019 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Booth is one of my top choices, what do you think of my odds? I haven't been able to find much data on applicants with backgrounds similar to mine. Thanks!

1.) Ethnicity: American-Latina Female
Nationality: Dual Citizenship with US and a Middle Eastern country (being vague to protect my identity)
2.) GRE: 332
3.) Undergrad: ~3.8 (liberal arts degree from top public school)
4.) about 5 years of work experience in project management at a top NY bank. Currently leading a semi-large project
5.) Extra-curricular: involvement in the hispanic community, volunteering with victims/abused, bilingual

Post MBA goals: consulting

Hi There,

American - Latina, with dual US - Middle Eastern citizenship sounds like as diverse a profile as one can get. And this could be a factor working to your advantage (so there could be joy in being the only one of your kind :) ).

I suggest you reach out directly to the business school asking them to connect you to other students. You have a great profile and who knows, it might just stick in their minds as different/ impressive?

Another great place to look is the ethnic communities at your target b-school (Booth) - check out the student clubs, you are likely to find some ethnic clubs where you will find a fit. You can connect with the club members/leadership through LinkedIn or through an email iD if mentioned on the website.

It would be good for you to understand how you can leverage your cultural background in the applications
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts