It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 05:20
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:01) correct 56% (01:14) wrong based on 625 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the primary cause of the American Revolution, but in doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due.

(A) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
(B) doing it, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
(C) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment have not been given their due
(D) doing so, they do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their due
(E) doing so, they do not give the due of their ideals to the French Enlightenment of the 18th century
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3052 [0], given: 220

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1145 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 07:25
AbdurRakib wrote:
British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the primary cause of the American Revolution, but in doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due.

a) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
b) doing it, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
c) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment have not been given their due
d) doing so, they do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their due
e) doing so, they do not give the due of their ideals to the French Enlightenment of the 18th century

British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the primary cause of the American Revolution, but in doing so, they do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their due.

Correct answer must be (D) for the highlighted errors in the options.

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1145 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V33
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 4: 560 Q40 V28
GMAT 5: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 6: 680 Q45 V37
GMAT 7: 690 Q47 V37
Re: British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 10:40
Can anybody explain why the answer is D and why not C

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8950 [2], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
B) doing it, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
C) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment have not been given their due
D) doing so, they do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their due
E) doing so, they do not give the due of their ideals to the French Enlightenment of the 18th century

Dear AbdurRakib & Abhishek009,

I will say that while I almost always praise the quality of MGMAT questions, I have grave uncertainties about this particular question.

Clearly "doing it" is wrong, so (B) is out. Clearly the "doing so" participle must "touch" the actors it modifies, so it can't touch "the ideals"--it must touch "they" (i.e. the historians). That's why (A) & (B) & (C) are out. This may answer @bhamini1's question. Clearly (E) is such an awkward monstrosity that it should be taken out back and shot.

Ostensibly, that leaves (D). My problem with (D) is the pronoun use. In the same clause, the second clause, we have a "they" and "their" referring to different antecedents. If we think about the antecedent of the pronoun "their"---of course, logically, it should refer to "ideals"---that's what the author of the sentence is clearly trying to say. Of course, "ideals" is the closest noun. At the same time, we have two pronouns in that clause, and this use often suggests the same antecedent. Also, the "British historians" are rhetorically dominant in the sentence: they are the subject of both clauses in version (D), and this can have some weight in determining a pronoun's antecedent. I don't think that grammar and logic and rhetoric all univocally point to the same conclusion, and in a good official GC question, all the parts work together to product a coherent meaning.

I know that (D) is the OA by which the MGMAT folks stand. I just don't know whether this question would be successful as an official question on the GMAT.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss further.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8950 [2], given: 111

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 05:57
mikemcgarry wrote:

I will say that while I almost always praise the quality of MGMAT questions, I have grave uncertainties about this particular question.

Clearly "doing it" is wrong, so (B) is out. Clearly the "doing so" participle must "touch" the actors it modifies, so it can't touch "the ideals"--it must touch "they" (i.e. the historians). That's why (A) & (B) & (C) are out. This may answer @bhamini1's question. Clearly (E) is such an awkward monstrosity that it should be taken out back and shot.

Ostensibly, that leaves (D). My problem with (D) is the pronoun use. In the same clause, the second clause, we have a "they" and "their" referring to different antecedents. If we think about the antecedent of the pronoun "their"---of course, logically, it should refer to "ideals"---that's what the author of the sentence is clearly trying to say. Of course, "ideals" is the closest noun. At the same time, we have two pronouns in that clause, and this use often suggests the same antecedent. Also, the "British historians" are rhetorically dominant in the sentence: they are the subject of both clauses in version (D), and this can have some weight in determining a pronoun's antecedent. I don't think that grammar and logic and rhetoric all univocally point to the same conclusion, and in a good official GC question, all the parts work together to product a coherent meaning.

I know that (D) is the OA by which the MGMAT folks stand. I just don't know whether this question would be successful as an official question on the GMAT.

Dear Mike,

I believe that 'to give X oneself due' is an idiom in which 'onself' is a pronoun refers to 'X' So it might be clear enough to accept it.

what do you think??

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 166

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8950 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 12:18
Mo2men wrote:
Dear Mike,

I believe that 'to give X oneself due' is an idiom in which 'onself' is a pronoun refers to 'X' So it might be clear enough to accept it.

what do you think??

Dear Mo2men,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Admittedly, it would be somewhat unusual. Most often, when people talk about giving due credit to someone, they are talking about someone else. It would be a bit odd, and a certainly out of character for business writing, for someone to proclaim, "I want the credit due to me!" Nevertheless, it is at least a possibility, especially when it's a group rather than an individual.

For example,
After the series of student accusations in the school newspaper, the teachers said they themselves had not be given their due.
After a scathing diatribe by the President, most of the members of Senate Foreign Relations committee felt that they had not been given their due.

It is at least conceivable that such sentence could be on the GMAT SC. We certainly can't dismiss this possibility.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1363 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 02:56
AbdurRakib wrote:

(A) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
(B) doing it, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
(C) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment have not been given their due
(D) doing so, they do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their due
(E) doing so, they do not give the due of their ideals to the French Enlightenment of the 18th century

The correct idiom is "give somebody their due"

For example, He failed again, but to give him his due, he did try hard.

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the pronoun "they" and "their" in (D)?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1363 [0], given: 440

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 09:57
Clearly an answer choice with doing so will be the right one - 1st error

now the second clause should modify the subject of the first clause - 2nd error - leaves D and E

D is logical here and is the right answer

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3632 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 04:42
hazelnut wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

The correct idiom is "give somebody their due"

For example, He failed again, but to give him his due, he did try hard.

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the pronoun "they" and "their" in (D)?

There seems to be an error in the OA. "They" refers to "historians", whereas "their" refers to "ideals". It is not allowed to use "they" and "their" for different antecedents in the same sentence.......... seems to be an oversight of the author of this question.

Kudos [?]: 3632 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 03:52
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
B) doing it, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment are not given their due
C) doing so, the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment have not been given their due
D) doing so, they do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their due
E) doing so, they do not give the due of their ideals to the French Enlightenment of the 18th century

Besides this, I also don't like simple present tense here. (D)
Pl comment mikemcgarry

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 8

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
AbdurRakib wrote:

Hey shouldn't 'they' and 'their' point to the same antecedent in a sentence? If so, how can D be the correct answer?
TIA!

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 8

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8326 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 08:31
Top Contributor
However much one may wish, it is difficult to convince that the pronoun 'their' stands of the historian's due. 'Due' here means what one has earned deservedly. If we consider D with the supposedly intended pronoun historians, this is what one gets.
doing so, they the histories do not give the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment their the historians' due.
It doesn't stand to logic that the British Historians would like to give what they have earned as the due to the ideals of the 18th century French Enlightenment.

Therefore, D is weak.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8326 [0], given: 366

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 12:13
abrakadabra21 wrote:
Besides this, I also don't like simple present tense here. (D)
Pl comment mikemcgarry

Dear abrakadabra21,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The present tense is not a problem. Even if the historical books were written in the past, the books themselves, and the judgments they render, are still in the present. We could easy say, "This book, written 300 years ago, does not give such-and-such ideals their due." The present tense is fine because the words of a book are always present.

Does this make sense?
Mad4BA wrote:
Hey shouldn't 'they' and 'their' point to the same antecedent in a sentence? If so, how can D be the correct answer?
TIA!

Dear Mad4BA

That's an excellent point! Another problem with this question! Kudos to you!

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 12:13

British historians have sometimes cited financial concerns as the prim

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap