Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [17]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
webster7 wrote:
Clevermetal wrote:
I’m curious to know if any joint program applicants got interviews. Specifically the MS/MBA applicants?

Posted from my mobile device

I had the same question in mind when I logged in today. I am an MS/MBA applicant too and did not hear anything. I wonder if any dual degree applicant heard anything yesterday.

Same here, MS/MBA applicant and haven't heard anything. Although there seems to be one MS/MBA invite (Colombia) reported on livewire
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard (HBS) Applicants Class of 2020 (2018 intake) [#permalink]
FuturePM91 wrote:
Clevermetal wrote:
The interview invites aren't necessarily random. I was chatting to an admission consultant and one speculation is that Harvard releases interviews for the most over crowded locations first so people can begin scheduling in advance. If this logic is correct, those from remote areas intending to Skype interview will certainly be pushed into the last batch since this doesn't pose any logistics concerns and people are more flexible in their schedules.

LOL I'm in Atlanta...going to assume this is a ding for me...but it is not unexpected at all given my GPA. I am proud of the application I submitted to HBS. It was definitely the best I could have done so I am ok with not getting an interview. (it would be amazing if I did...but if not its cool) the challenging part for me is keeping my brain from assuming that this means my other apps are doomed. Logically I know that's not true...but emotionally it is hard to not feel that way.

Could totally relate to the part where you said you did the best you could have done. However while getting into an elite institution doesn't guarantee success but it sure matter a hell lot- Just my opinion. Truth might be that while we all worked hard to create an immaculate application over the past few months- maybe the ones who got the interview invites were always superstars who worked hard all their lives- maybe it just comes as part of the territory of being 'leaders who make a difference'. :thumbup:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Alchemist87 wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
Clevermetal wrote:
The interview invites aren't necessarily random. I was chatting to an admission consultant and one speculation is that Harvard releases interviews for the most over crowded locations first so people can begin scheduling in advance. If this logic is correct, those from remote areas intending to Skype interview will certainly be pushed into the last batch since this doesn't pose any logistics concerns and people are more flexible in their schedules.

LOL I'm in Atlanta...going to assume this is a ding for me...but it is not unexpected at all given my GPA. I am proud of the application I submitted to HBS. It was definitely the best I could have done so I am ok with not getting an interview. (it would be amazing if I did...but if not its cool) the challenging part for me is keeping my brain from assuming that this means my other apps are doomed. Logically I know that's not true...but emotionally it is hard to not feel that way.

Could totally relate to the part where you said you did the best you could have done. However while getting into an elite institution doesn't guarantee success but it sure matter a hell lot- Just my opinion. Truth might be that while we all worked hard to create an immaculate application over the past few months- maybe the ones who got the interview invites were always superstars who worked hard all their lives- maybe it just comes as part of the territory of being 'leaders who make a difference'. :thumbup:

Gotta disagree with you that those that got interviews are "always superstars who worked hard all their lives" while that is certainly true of those who got interviews I don't believe that it says that those who didn't do NOT fall in that category. Adcoms have been very honest that up to 80% of the applicant pool are qualified to attend their programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I think there is a luck element involved. You may have been unfortunate to have an admissions representative who just wasn't interested in your package - your essay didn't speak to her - while her co-worker would've loved you had she reviewed it.

I think the idea that you just weren't good enough is strangely comforting but I don't think that's the real reason.

The question for folks who get dinged is is it worth it to wait yet another year for another shot?

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Filthydelphia wrote:
I think there is a luck element involved. You may have been unfortunate to have an admissions representative who just wasn't interested in your package - your essay didn't speak to her - while her co-worker would've loved you had she reviewed it.

The question for folks who get dinged is is it worth it to wait yet another year for another shot?

Yes..there is luck there is whatever the strategy of the adcom is for that year there is class mix of the applicant pool..so many factors that simply being qualified does not guarantee admission..extremely qualified, smart, hard working, and driven people are denied every year.

My personal opinion on re-applying is that I would wait to see what other schools you get into...I would think that if you decide to not attend a school that admits you it would be difficult for them to admit you again....so if for example you don't get into Harvard this time but you get in to Wharton or Stanford, I would personally pick between the other two and not risk getting denied by all three the following year....if you only get into lower ranked schools but want to try for the top 10 again that would make sense to me....again just my opinion though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Did any URM's get an invite yesterday? I wonder if URM's and military personnel invites are not sent until Thursday since there was a diversity event last Friday and there is a military event today... Maybe the adcoms needed more time to evaluate these two groups.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
javizroper wrote:
Did any URM's get an invite yesterday? I wonder if URM's and military personnel invites are not sent until Thursday since there was a diversity event last Friday and there is a military event today... Maybe the adcoms needed more time to evaluate these two groups.

I am a URM and received the invited yesterday. I know a few others did as well. But yes, the timing sucks...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos