It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 06:58
Arnav180 wrote:
And if someone has not opted for the "optional essay", is he/she at a severe disadvantage because of that??

No. There is a reason it is called Optional. :)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 19:28
I wouldn't say disadvantaged, but through web chats, my visit and the below video, it seems like it's a missed opportunity. Think of it as "it doesn't hurt you by not doing it, but it definitely can't help you!"

http://video.mit.edu/watch/jeff-carbone ... say-12847/

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

8 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [8], given: 13

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
Here's a compilation of what I could gather from the discussions our R1 pals had:

1) Try not to obsess over the optional essay. If you have done the optional essay, good, if not, don't fret.. people have gotten interviews without them.

2) Our applications are viewed as holistic packages and we are literally plotted on a graph based on 9 parameters (if I remember right). People on the high-right side of the graph are top contenders.

3) Can't trust vimeo/youtube analytics completely. Don't base your conclusion on whether your optional essays have or haven't been viewed solely on analytics.

4) Read point 1 again. Take a minute to let it sink in :)

5) People who submitted their R1 apps mid-september started getting interview invites only in late October.. so we R2 peeps have a looong way to go.

6) The wait is going to kill us (well, most of us atleast) and we will resort to checking our phones every 2 minutes as the last day approaches. Then we will proceed to this very forum to see if it's just us or if everyone is slowly losing their minds. We will then start asking questions about location and things will start looking bleak because they've rolled out invites for your country but you didn't get one. Hope will fade, you'll stop believing in Santa.

7) Then suddenly! when you least expect it, there will be a mail from the Adcom with a 'you're invited!' subject line. DO NOT GET EXCITED. They probably just invited you to the grand opening of their newly painted troll lab.

8) But maybe someday, after a long wait, we will get that fateful mail - a heartening peal or a dull ding. You might just start believing in Santa again. When this does happen, let us know here.

9) Lastly and most importantly, do not lose hope! we are all in this together :).. Remember the Gloria Gaynor song. We will survive 8-)

Kudos [?]: 19 [8], given: 13

BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 07:51
ShephardCommander wrote:
2) Our applications are viewed as holistic packages and we are literally plotted on a graph based on 9 parameters (if I remember right). People on the high-right side of the graph are top contenders.

Source? Do you have an idea what those parameters are?

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 08:50
jz4analytics wrote:
ShephardCommander wrote:

I was at MIT's road show, and I heard something like that. Basically the guy said all of the quantifiable stuff are plotted on a graph (GMAT, GPA, work experience, essay, education background...etc), and then the first quadrant of applicants will be the candidates they will likely interview.

Guess I was in the third quadrant LOL

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

BSchool Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 09:07
stevkang8 wrote:
jz4analytics wrote:
ShephardCommander wrote:

I was at MIT's road show, and I heard something like that. Basically the guy said all of the quantifiable stuff are plotted on a graph (GMAT, GPA, work experience, essay, education background...etc), and then the first quadrant of applicants will be the candidates they will likely interview.

Guess I was in the third quadrant LOL

Interesting. GMAT, GPA, WE, etc... are obvious. So they rate your essays quantitatively? And nine factors? Does age fit in? Whether or not one holds a graduate degree?

I'm guessing people here don't know, but it would be helpful to have an idea of who lands in Q1. For example, if we could use our GMAT/GPA/WE to guess who MIT considers interview worthy. (And Sloan seems to have a wide range of GMAT/GPA scores, and places a lot of emphasis on the interview, so there must be other factors, such as quality of work, that weigh heavily into that).

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 102

Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 09:23
jz4analytics wrote:
I'm guessing people here don't know, but it would be helpful to have an idea of who lands in Q1. For example, if we could use our GMAT/GPA/WE to guess who MIT considers interview worthy. (And Sloan seems to have a wide range of GMAT/GPA scores, and places a lot of emphasis on the interview, so there must be other factors, such as quality of work, that weigh heavily into that).

Weighted Average of multiple factors would make sense. For e.g. GMAT and GPA would be weighed heavier and thus would get a higher multiplier where as the graduate degree would be nice but not necessary and thus would have a lower weight. So who here has the excel sheet with the numbers? :wink: :wink:

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 102

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 09:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jz4analytics wrote:
ShephardCommander wrote:

Here you go: http://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/08/admi ... od-garcia/

RG Quote: That’s right. We score the applications. We don’t have a global rating. Instead, we score a set of attributes. There are about nine that we look at, ranging from GMAT score to GPA to work success to all the other attributes, like leadership attributes. Essentially there are two major groups of attributes – demonstrated success (GMAT, GPA, work success) and leadership attributes. We add up the sum of the two scores, and based on those two scores I will decide the 18 percent who will be invited for an interview.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 13

BSchool Thread Master

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 10:35
ShephardCommander wrote:
jz4analytics wrote:
ShephardCommander wrote:

Here you go: http://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/08/admi ... od-garcia/

RG Quote: That’s right. We score the applications. We don’t have a global rating. Instead, we score a set of attributes. There are about nine that we look at, ranging from GMAT score to GPA to work success to all the other attributes, like leadership attributes. Essentially there are two major groups of attributes – demonstrated success (GMAT, GPA, work success) and leadership attributes. We add up the sum of the two scores, and based on those two scores I will decide the 18 percent who will be invited for an interview.

Hmm. I wonder how they rate people based on "leadership attributes" quantitatively (and from what? Recommendations and work responsibilities?). It's clearly important. And 18% just for an interview... wow. I thought that it'd be higher than that.

Oh well. I guess we'll start to know more in the next week or two.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 19:04
For those that submitted video essays, did they already view your video essay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 14:09
shaism wrote:
For those that submitted video essays, did they already view your video essay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did and nope not yet. I assume you're in the same boat since you're asking the question? :)

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 14:32
They just looked at mine today.
Btw, I was really surprised how little time they spent on it: 1 min 33 seconds to be more specific.

Current Student

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 18:38
@aj77993
Yep, in the same boat.

@DrZ
How long is your video? Do you mean to say that they didn't watch the whole video?

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 19:43
Mine is 1:38... still no view though

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 00:46
I got a couple of views for my optional essay from Groton (I'm assuming meaning Groton, MA which appears to be an hour outside of Cambridge). Hoping this is a good sign!

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 12:37
--

Last edited by johngaliano on 05 Aug 2016, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 00:47
gloube wrote:
HImba88 wrote:
I got a couple of views for my optional essay from Groton (I'm assuming meaning Groton, MA which appears to be an hour outside of Cambridge). Hoping this is a good sign!

Please triangulate the coordinates and send a camera-equipped drone to investigate.

Then report back.

hahaha... humour is rare in this forum! :D :D

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GRE 1: 333 Q163 V170
GPA: 3.01
WE: Science (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 10:10
Received views today for my optional assay. They are reviewing, no surprise.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Current Student
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 10:25
hopefullythisyear wrote:
gloube wrote:
HImba88 wrote:

Please triangulate the coordinates and send a camera-equipped drone to investigate.

Then report back.

hahaha... humour is rare in this forum! :D :D

Of all the days for my drone to be in the shop...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Master of Finance Interviews and Updates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 11:00
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Master of Finance Interviews and Updates
Our new building: E52

The Admissions team is all moved in to our beautiful new office, and we hope you can come visit us in person! The Ambassadors campus visit program begins on February 16th, and registration is now open.

Interviews for the MFin program started last week, and will continue for the next few weeks. All candidates will receive an update by February 12, either inviting them for an interview or letting them know they won’t be moving forward in the application process. Those who are invited to interview will receive detailed instructions and a guide to help you prepare. Be sure to check out our post on how we evaluate MFin applicants. The video below also explains more about the behavioral interview process. We look forward to learning more about you!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Master of Finance Interviews and Updates   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2016, 11:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51  ...  63    Next  [ 1258 posts ] 

Calling all Sloan MIT Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap