GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Jun 2020, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.2
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 18:49
Itgelee wrote:
MBAVet25 wrote:

Also, I went to a Yale admissions event a few months ago and the admissions Officer said herself they typically extend interview invites to about 50% of the applicant pool. However, with how much applications have been declining, I wouldn’t be surprised if that number were up closer to 60% this year, with a 30% acceptance rate.

"However, with how much applications have been declining" where did you get that?

https://poetsandquants.com/2019/08/22/a ... chool-news

https://www.forbes.com/sites/poetsandqu ... in-crisis/

There are countless other articles on this subject. Google is your friend.. Also, the chief editor for PQ said in one of his podcasts or interviews (can’t remember which) that per his conversations with many people in admissions offices across the country that this trend is still continuing into this year. Possibly the worst year in application declines yet across the board.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 18:52
MBAVet25 wrote:
Hmm that doesn’t make much sense. Maybe he misspoke. Here’s another article by PQ and the stats are pretty clear. Interviewing only 25% of applicants would be impossible for them.

https://poetsandquants.com/2019/08/26/y ... chool-news

Also, I went to a Yale admissions event a few months ago and the admissions Officer said herself they typically extend interview invites to about 50% of the applicant pool. However, with how much applications have been declining, I wouldn’t be surprised if that number were up closer to 60% this year, with a 30% acceptance rate.

The 25% in the ClearAdmit article definitely seemed low, but 50%-60% is far higher than anything I have heard. My guess is that they interview around 35% and admit around 70% of the people they interview, for an overall admit rate of about 25%. Many have said that Yale admits significantly more than 50% of people who interview. But I don't know if there are any hard stats out there to confirm
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2020, 18:58
MBBApplicant wrote:
MBAVet25 wrote:
Hmm that doesn’t make much sense. Maybe he misspoke. Here’s another article by PQ and the stats are pretty clear. Interviewing only 25% of applicants would be impossible for them.

https://poetsandquants.com/2019/08/26/y ... chool-news

The 25% in the ClearAdmit article definitely seemed low, but 50%-60% is far higher than anything I have heard. My guess is that they interview around 35% and admit around 70% of the people they interview, for an overall admit rate of about 25%. Many have said that Yale admits significantly more than 50% of people who interview. But I don't know if there are any hard stats out there to confirm

All I can tell you is that an admissions officer at Yale told me they typically extend interview invites to about 50% of applicants.. the 60% was just speculation by me for this upcoming application cycle due to everything I’ve read and heard on this matter so far this year.

MBA Admissions Consultant
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 03:53
I appreciate the response. I understand batch system versus rolling admissions however given that the last reported on CA was 22nd of February... I guess I just thought this client would hear from them by now. Especially because the other one had already, both are London Engineers submitted the app on the same date.
computanti ="computanti"]

HBS intentionally targets an early date in the process for inviting applicants to an interview or releasing them. SOM does not. It's two entirely different processes. Yale has also not rejected anyone from R2 yet, whereas there have been several thousand HBS R2 applicants who have been rejected. Based on ClearAdmit and GMATClub, there haven't been many Yale SOM invites sent out yet, but we are also only about one month past the application deadline.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I find it curious why one of my clients with an HBS invite has not yet heard from SOM. Anyone else get an HBS invite but no word from SOM?

[/quote]
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 15:57
Couple questions...not sure if anyone has answers, just looking for some moral support I guess.

1) Does Yale review applications in any particular order? In other words, if I haven’t received an interview invite by now for R2, is it safe to assume they don’t like me as much as they like other candidates?

2) Given the above discussion RE: approx 50% of applicants get interviewed, does that mean I made some huge error in my application to end up in the bottom half? I know SOM is super competitive, but I thought I had a decent application.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 16:41
TheRealFT wrote:
Couple questions...not sure if anyone has answers, just looking for some moral support I guess.

1) Does Yale review applications in any particular order? In other words, if I haven’t received an interview invite by now for R2, is it safe to assume they don’t like me as much as they like other candidates?

2) Given the above discussion RE: approx 50% of applicants get interviewed, does that mean I made some huge error in my application to end up in the bottom half? I know SOM is super competitive, but I thought I had a decent application.

I am quite confident that the admissions officer who said that must have misspoken. I’ve read in several places that they interview approximately 30-35% of applicants, and even Bruce DelMonico said 25% in a September 2019 ClearAdmit interview (I think he must have meant 35%).
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 17:04
Based on this P&Q article, the Yale SoM overall acceptance rate is 25% and interview rate is in fact 50%. I think Poets&Quants is pretty reliable.

Work backwards from their class size and yield to get ~800 admits, we can assume they interview ~1600 candidates, which represents roughly half of all 3000+ applicants.

https://poetsandquants.com/2020/01/30/a ... the-u-s/2/

I’m assuming 1600 interviews from 800 admits because we know Yale offers acceptance to approx 50-60% of interviewed candidates. Here’s the data to show that:

https://www.clearadmit.com/2015/10/frid ... nce-rates/

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 17:10
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I find it curious why one of my clients with an HBS invite has not yet heard from SOM. Anyone else get an HBS invite but no word from SOM?

Did your HBS client hear back from SOM yet? Any additional insight into why SOM might not be interested in that client?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 17:29
TheRealFT wrote:
Based on this P&Q article, the Yale SoM overall acceptance rate is 25% and interview rate is in fact 50%. I think Poets&Quants is pretty reliable.

Work backwards from their class size and yield to get ~800 admits, we can assume they interview ~1600 candidates, which represents roughly half of all 3000+ applicants.

https://poetsandquants.com/2020/01/30/a ... the-u-s/2/

I’m assuming 1600 interviews from 800 admits because we know Yale offers acceptance to approx 50-60% of interviewed candidates. Here’s the data to show that:

https://www.clearadmit.com/2015/10/frid ... nce-rates/

The P&Q article obviously doesn't speak to the number of interviewees, and assuming the ClearAdmit article is correct at 57% (it's based on a very small sample size and self-reporting so not exactly trustworthy data), there would be 1,400 interviewees out of 3,200 for a 44% interview rate (not 1,600 out of 3,000). All that said, at this point there's nothing we can do anyway, so I hope they like our applications!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 17:29
It’s not explicitly stated. But since P&Q says 806 admits, and MBADataGuru says 57% acceptance rate after interview, we can estimate approx 1,400 candidates get interviewed. That’s 45% of the 3,194 total applicants listed on P&Q. Not exactly 50%, but close enough for government work.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 17:37
TheRealFT wrote:
close enough for government work

Got a chuckle out of this one. Cheers!
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 18:04
Hi TheRealFT I wrote a bit of an update with a hypothesis. Still nothing from Yale, but he has interviews at HBS, Kellogg and now Berkeley. I am guessing either 1.) they have not yet reviewed his application 2.) he seems out of reach to them (he has 3 citizenships - so this is a bonus) 3.) his GRE verbal is low - outside the 80% range for Yale - and they are kind of priding themselves on a bump in GRE from last year. OR 4.) his video interviews were not successful. This is honestly very likely - he's brilliant but not (yet) super charismatic on camera, I am working with him on opening his heart and throat chakras ;) It's going well. Bit of a scare today because impromptu HBS is inviting all HBS London invites to a bar on Sunday to chat with alums....and I was hoping he would have more time before being observed.

This video sums up how I am feeling about his Yale invitation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AIroyiLEM - its a bit odd to not hear back from quasi safety school..

TheRealFT wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Did your HBS client hear back from SOM yet? Any additional insight into why SOM might not be interested in that client?

Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 18:07
I've been posting in the EMBA thread but I believe it would be helpful for the "full time" MBA candidates as well. I created a video that can help you prepare for your MBA interviews.

Good luck! :)

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 06:39
Do you guys think its safe to assume that Yale is a no go if you have yet to receive a R2 invite?
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 06:51
I don't necessarily think so, something was reported on clear admit yesterday. And I guess there's a lot of slots that are open still?
mbadreamz90 wrote:
Do you guys think its safe to assume that Yale is a no go if you have yet to receive a R2 invite?

Intern
B
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2020, 07:10
mbadreamz90 wrote:

I don't think you're for sure out at this point. Yale is really different in how they do things compared to other schools and it -is- a true rolling interview process. When I visited on campus, an admissions officer said there are times an interview invite is extended days before the admit deadline. However, I have heard their on-campus interview days are Fridays so not sure if that's still the same.

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2020, 07:50
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi TheRealFT I wrote a bit of an update with a hypothesis. Still nothing from Yale, but he has interviews at HBS, Kellogg and now Berkeley. I am guessing either 1.) they have not yet reviewed his application 2.) he seems out of reach to them (he has 3 citizenships - so this is a bonus) 3.) his GRE verbal is low - outside the 80% range for Yale - and they are kind of priding themselves on a bump in GRE from last year. OR 4.) his video interviews were not successful. This is honestly very likely - he's brilliant but not (yet) super charismatic on camera, I am working with him on opening his heart and throat chakras ;) It's going well. Bit of a scare today because impromptu HBS is inviting all HBS London invites to a bar on Sunday to chat with alums....and I was hoping he would have more time before being observed.

This video sums up how I am feeling about his Yale invitation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AIroyiLEM - its a bit odd to not hear back from quasi safety school..

TheRealFT wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

I already interviewed so I guess it doesnt really matter, but does SOM specifically target 80% range for Verbal? I though the 80% threshold rule was long dead?
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2020, 12:38
Blazethrough14

I appreciate your input, thank you so much for your reply. What I mean by 80% is that 80% of the applicants have their verbal within a specific range.

Not really in the 80th percentile necessarily, know what I mean? So his verbal raw is a little outside of the range of 80% of the applicants.

Of course there remains 20% of the applicants but that's often exceptions made for very diverse, unique applicants who have a lot of offsetting entries.

Blazethrough14 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

TheRealFT wrote:
[quote="MBAPrepCoach"]I find it curious why one of my clients with an HBS invite has not yet heard from SOM. Anyone else get an HBS invite but no word from SOM?

I already interviewed so I guess it doesnt really matter, but does SOM specifically target 80% range for Verbal? I though the 80% threshold rule was long dead?[/quote]
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2020, 03:36
End of the road? :?
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2020, 06:20
lukematic wrote:
End of the road? :?

I think it might be over for Yale.......the last week of February is just too late considering that they moved up their final offer date to like March 26 or something.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2020, 06:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 219 posts ] 

Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sharathnair14