It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financing your MBA - International Students

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Schools: AGSM '18 (S)
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 08:21
Hi Guys,

I have been accepted for FT MBA in AGSM at UNSW Business School in Australia. I am looking for some financing and loan options to pay a portion of fee. Are there any options which I can explore other than Prodigy (because I am PR holder and Prodigy only finances intl students).

Any experiences and guidance would be highly valued. Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Schools: AGSM '18 (S)
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 08:22
rboscarIol wrote:
Hi everyone, let me add some new information into this topic.

I am an international MBA student, currently on my first year at Michigan Ross, where up until recently there was no loan option for internationals. And, as you know, private financing institutions usually require US co-signers, so this is frequently a problem to most of us.

But now, Prodigy Finance is offering possibility of loans to international students at Ross and many other schools without requiring an US co-signer.
The loans are funded by a community of alumni investors, and by other investors who wish to support higher education.

I am taking a loan from Prodigy, and I am also an ambassador of the program, so I will be more than happy to share more information with you.

Here goes some quick info about Prodigy:
- 150 nationalities covered
- Competitive interest rates
- No collateral, guarantees, or co-signers required
- Easy online process
- No repayments while you study
- Excellent customer service

Currently, Prodigy has programs at Cambridge Judge Business School, Cass Business School, Columbia Business School, Cranfield School of Management, ESMT, INSEAD, London Business School, Manchester Business School, Oxford Saïd Business School, and Vlerick Business School. And they are expanding and adding new programs, so please check the website!


Hi Guys,

I have been accepted for FT MBA in AGSM at UNSW Business School in Australia. I am looking for some financing and loan options to pay a portion of fee. Are there any options which I can explore other than Prodigy (because I am PR holder and Prodigy only finances intl students).

Any experiences and guidance would be highly valued. Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: United States
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 17:55
I agree with andreyjv that the Prodigy loan process is straightforward. The rates are quite competitive without any collateral.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2014
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 19:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
A couple of questions for loans:

I noticed that for most of the top US schools, Prodigy funds up to 80% of the cost of attendance, which is similar to other programs offered by the schools. Can I borrow (assuming I'm approved), 80% from Prodigy and 20% from another loan program?

Similarly, are there loan options for people with US based co-signers that will cover the full cost of attendance?

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Schools: AGSM '18 (S)
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 14:24
am17 wrote:
I agree with andreyjv that the Prodigy loan process is straightforward. The rates are quite competitive without any collateral.


Since I am not eligible for Prodigy, are there any other institutions offering such loans?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2014
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 07:20
Does anyone have experience with Discover Student Loans? They require a co-signer but you can get up to 100% of the cost of attendance loaned. However, this page: https://www.discover.com/student-loans/ ... ional.html says:

Quote:
You may need to send us a copy of your passport and one of the following documents for loan approval. We will notify you when we need them during the application process.
F-1 Visa
H1-B Visa
J-1 Visa
L-1 (L1A or L1B) Visa
Form DS-2019
Form I-20
Form I-766
Form I-797


Given that I'll need to show capability to pay for the costs of the MBA when I apply for a student visa, how likely is it for Discover to require those docs (they mention that they MAY require but not WILL require). If they do require those docs, it's a chicken and egg situation where I can't get Discover approval without a visa and I can't get a visa without loan approval.

I've emailed them a couple of times but I just get robo responses and no clear answer

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15361

Kudos [?]: 27248 [0], given: 5007

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2015, 13:14
jmikery wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Discover Student Loans? They require a co-signer but you can get up to 100% of the cost of attendance loaned. However, this page: https://www.discover.com/student-loans/ ... ional.html says:

Quote:
You may need to send us a copy of your passport and one of the following documents for loan approval. We will notify you when we need them during the application process.
F-1 Visa
H1-B Visa
J-1 Visa
L-1 (L1A or L1B) Visa
Form DS-2019
Form I-20
Form I-766
Form I-797


Given that I'll need to show capability to pay for the costs of the MBA when I apply for a student visa, how likely is it for Discover to require those docs (they mention that they MAY require but not WILL require). If they do require those docs, it's a chicken and egg situation where I can't get Discover approval without a visa and I can't get a visa without loan approval.

I've emailed them a couple of times but I just get robo responses and no clear answer



This will be something that will fall on the shoulders of your co-signer to break through to try to convince them to approve or at least pre-approve the loan.
This issue has existed for as long as I can remember and I am surprised it has not been resolved yet. However, if you have a US co-signer you have a good availability of options to apply for. You can also check SoFi, M7 Financial, and Prodigy Finance to compare quotes options and amount of headache (which may end up the deciding factor)
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27248 [0], given: 5007

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Nov 2014
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 00:04
bb wrote:
jmikery wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Discover Student Loans? They require a co-signer but you can get up to 100% of the cost of attendance loaned. However, this page: https://www.discover.com/student-loans/ ... ional.html says:

Quote:
You may need to send us a copy of your passport and one of the following documents for loan approval. We will notify you when we need them during the application process.
F-1 Visa
H1-B Visa
J-1 Visa
L-1 (L1A or L1B) Visa
Form DS-2019
Form I-20
Form I-766
Form I-797


Given that I'll need to show capability to pay for the costs of the MBA when I apply for a student visa, how likely is it for Discover to require those docs (they mention that they MAY require but not WILL require). If they do require those docs, it's a chicken and egg situation where I can't get Discover approval without a visa and I can't get a visa without loan approval.

I've emailed them a couple of times but I just get robo responses and no clear answer



This will be something that will fall on the shoulders of your co-signer to break through to try to convince them to approve or at least pre-approve the loan.
This issue has existed for as long as I can remember and I am surprised it has not been resolved yet. However, if you have a US co-signer you have a good availability of options to apply for. You can also check SoFi, M7 Financial, and Prodigy Finance to compare quotes options and amount of headache (which may end up the deciding factor)


Thank you bb, just a small follow up: is SoFi available for international students? Their eligibility page (https://www.sofi.com/eligibility-criter ... bility-mba) states: "You and your co-signer (if applicable) is a US citizen or permanent resident" so I hadn't been considering them because the requirement is "and" and not "or"

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2015
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Schools: AGSM '18 (S)
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 02:57
Any student loans for MBA in Australia?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2014
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 97

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 03:15
Hello,
For international students without co signer ,which colleges provide loans ?

Taking for example if I have a loan of 50% of my tuition fees from prodigy, which colleges provide loans to cover at least rest of tuition costs?

Can any of the admitted students of current students please share their experiences in this area?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 97

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Location: India
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2016, 10:40
Hi,

Does anybody know if Prodigy Finance is in operation or has the company shut down?

I emailed them 4 days ago, raised a support ticket and messaged them on their Skype account, but nobody has responded.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2016
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 08:02
Could someone please share more details about 'school loans'? Is it still a thing (after 6 years from the time this thread was started) ?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Said Oxford Thread Master
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 92

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 35

Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 10:58
Has anyone taken loan from Mpower financing. Similar to Prodigy, they do not require cosigner or collateral for international students enrolled in US colleges
https://www.mpowerfinancing.com/
I have to decide between Prodigy and Mpower, so trying to identify anyone who has already secured a loan with them to get a review of their loan product.
Any help in this regard would be truly appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 35

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2016
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton '16
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 12:44
This is going to be a huge thing forever...

Try to ask alumni or use Admission consultants that actually used these services. I financed my tuition and living expenses with Quorum (Wharton).

A very important thing to have in mind... You do get some income on your internship, and that helps more than you think. Same with some TA that you can have during your two years at school.
_________________

Javier Galdames
CEO & Founder, MBAPrepLatam
http://www.mbapreplatam.com

contact@mbapreplatam.com
Wharton MBA, Class of 2016
https://www.linkedin.com/in/javiergaldames

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 647

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 01:11
Most schools offer generous scholarships and convenient, affordable loans. In leading programs, the number of students receiving financial aid from the school itself often exceeds 50%. It is important to note that scholarships are not especially prevalent, and one is more likely to be granted one at a business school that is ranked between 20-50 in the U.S. and Europe. It is important to note that as a school is ranked higher, their process for merit-based scholarships becomes more selective and more challenging.
For more information and resources on MBA financial aid please visit: https://aringo.com/mba-scholarships/
_________________

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Dec 2014
Posts: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2016, 03:18
Hi guys,

I am arun from India, with a GMAT score of 710 CGPA 3.7 and 4 yrs of sales and marketing workex in the Automobile idustry

An MBA in the TOP universties in US costs around USD90,000. with the H1B lottery system in place for international students and an OPT period of onlt 12 months for an MBA GRAD, is it really worth risking the lottery system and go for an MBA in the UNITED STATES

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 18:24
Thanks for the update mate ! i would like to know more about this one

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
G
Status: Back to work...
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 4580

Kudos [?]: 3532 [0], given: 2395

Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 21:57
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aroon31400 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am arun from India, with a GMAT score of 710 CGPA 3.7 and 4 yrs of sales and marketing workex in the Automobile idustry

An MBA in the TOP universties in US costs around USD90,000. with the H1B lottery system in place for international students and an OPT period of onlt 12 months for an MBA GRAD, is it really worth risking the lottery system and go for an MBA in the UNITED STATES


These threads may partially answers your questions .....
job-prospects-of-international-students-after-mba-in-us-231042.html
international-students-employed-3-months-after-graduation-by-school-231395.html
_________________

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3532 [0], given: 2395

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Financing your MBA - International Students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 02:24
Has anyone dealt with MBA loans for international (not EU, USA) students in UK? I am applying for Chevening scholarship, but it covers tuition only up to 18 th. GBP, so if I get it, I will still have to finance the balance (17-35 th. GBP). Is it realistic to get a loan for it?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Financing your MBA - International Students   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2017, 02:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 79 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
14 Experts publish their posts in the topic The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA souvik101990 2 24 Jul 2017, 08:23
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic MBA schools with International student loan program cesarucv 8 25 May 2017, 20:03
International Students Accommodation Sergioparras 3 13 Jun 2017, 02:47
Experts publish their posts in the topic How to Finance Your MBA - Prodigy Financial Livecast and Q&A bb 0 19 Jan 2017, 10:16
4 Prodigy Finance - Finance your MBA with us prodigyfinance 1 09 Feb 2017, 06:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Financing your MBA - International Students

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.