Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [35]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [28]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [12]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [0]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: After the Second World War, unionism in the Japanese auto industry was [#permalink]
HI,

Can some one explain 2 & 3 answers please.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: After the Second World War, unionism in the Japanese auto industry was [#permalink]
Kudos
RaviChandra wrote:
HI,

Hi Both are inference questions, As far i read the passage.

Question 2 : According to the passage, a foreman in a United States auto company differed from a foreman in a Japanese auto company in that the foreman in the United States would?

Quote:
US federal law prohibited US foremen from joining or leading industrial unions.
this what we can infer from the last line of 1st para.

I chose A after POE.

For

Question 3 : The author of the passage mentions the "OH! NO!" system primarily in order to

Quote:
The 2nd para says that though Japanese unions empowered production workers to take key decision. The actual authority was with the foremen only..
The author then gives the example.

After doing the POE, I was left with B.

A: Not relevant.
B: sounds good-hold
C: WE cannot infer this.
D: The critics says this as a stress- reject.
E: The foreman exercised discretion over job assignments, training, transfers, and promotions(stated in the passage)- eliminated.

Hope it helps :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.28
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
RaviChandra wrote:
HI,

Q2: As above :-D
Q3:
"Rather than being proactive, Japanese workers were forced to be reactive, the range of their responsibilities being far wider than their span of control.
For example, blah blah blah "

Therefore, the author introduced the "OH-NO" system in order to resolve the misconception about the Japanese workers characteristics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
JarvisR:

Can you please explain on what basis did u choose option B for Question 3.
I came down to Answer D on this as i think OHH NOO isn't challenging anyhting.
Can you please help on this one
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
1B 2A 3B 4C

4 minutes 6 seconds .

Regards,
Manish Khare
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Anish1992 wrote:
Can anyone explain the answer to question no 3?

The Japanese model was often invoked as one in which authority decentralized to the shop floor empowered production workers to make key decisions. What these claims failed to recognize was that the actual delegation of authority was to the foreman, not the workers.

The above two lines are the first two lines of the second paragraph. Author said that CLAIMS FAILED TO RECOGNIZE THE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY. The remaining part of the paragraph explained so by giving examples.

E looks very convincing though. But if you read the first two lines of the second paragraph twice and ask yourself why the author is giving all the examples at the end, you will find that the author is trying to prove something written at the beginning of the 2nd paragraph. The author is not giving examples for E but for B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
manishkhare wrote:
1B 2A 3B 4C

4 minutes 6 seconds .

Regards,
Manish Khare

4 mins 6 seconds :shock:

This sends shivers down my spine. I did the passage in 09 mins 12 seconds. Oh my Goodness. Your reading skills are just :o WOW

I got 4 on 4 but just look at the time.

How have you been doing on the Verbal Part of the test overall ? Can you please share your GMAT Prep Verbal Scores? manishkhare
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
manishkhare wrote:
1B 2A 3B 4C

4 minutes 6 seconds .

Regards,
Manish Khare

4 min 6 sec :shock:
Man, If you take only 4 min for long passage with such difficulty level, then you must be solving short passages within 3 min, CR questions within 1.5 min and SC questions within 30 sec.
With that it is just 38-42 minutes for entire verbal section. I just wonder how much time do you take for completing your verbal section?. Can you share your techniques for reading actively with such great speed.

P.S. :- I assume that time you have mentioned is total time i.e. time to read passage + time to solve questions and not only time to solve questions. :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took 9 mins 30 seconds , including 3 mins 30 seconds to read
-The author does not provide an opinion
-The author describes unionism- its meaning in Japan , its meaning in the United Staes and helps clear a misconception on Unionism on Japan

Answer B

"In the United States, the potential for such company unionism grew after 1979, but it had difficulty taking hold in the auto industry, where a single union represented workers from all companies, particularly since federal law prohibited foremen from joining or leading industrial unions."
Answer A

"What these claims failed to recognize was that the actual delegation of authority was to the foreman, not the workers."
The author uses the ―OH NO ― example to clear the misconception that workers were empowered in Japanese production units.

Answer B

"Because the "OH! NO!" system continually pushed the production process to the verge of breakdown in an effort to find the minimum resource requirement, critics described it as "management by stress."

By using the minimum amount of resources possible, the author implies that production costs would be as low as possible. Hence option C .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
My answer were
B
A
B
E --- I choose because the last sentence of the passage was saying "As soon as workers could meet production goals without working overtime", but after going through the answer choices, C is the right answer.

Taken 09 min 20 sec...
Manishkhare can you share your master technique for solving these kind of passages in less time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
In question 3 , i have opted for option C.
In the passage, it says that rather than being proactive the Japanese workers are being reactive and then the passage cites the Oh no! example. From this i understood that Japanese people adopt this mechanism to "react" to the circumstances rather than estimating the resources (count) before hand (thus refraining from being proactive). Can you please help me understand where i went wrong in this question.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [9]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos