GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Online GMAT Issues

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Online GMAT Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2020, 23:24
Hey reddy10d thanks for sharing! Best of luck with your result.

I hope that GMAC solves those issues.
I would add that another disturbance I had was the Pearson bar on top, for the verbal part in few questions it was over some text so I moved it to the right and up.

Regards,
Pablo

reddy10d wrote:
Hey all,

I took my GMAT Online on 5/30, and thanks to the reports of various issues with the online whiteboard, I was mentally prepared to encounter any of those issues.
I opened my Whiteboard immediately after I was directed to the testing browser. Before starting the timed sections of tutorial and instructions, I spent about 5 mins getting to know the whiteboard. (During the terms and conditions page which isn't timed)

I changed the fill color to none, drew a couple of circles overlapping in the form of venn diagrams, and then went about the text option. Wrote all the letters from a to z, and I noticed that pressing Z cleared all of my screen and also applied an undo to return to the stage which I had cleared. So that was the only issue I noticed before the exam, and kept in mind not to use the letter z. I also checked for issues regarding the square root symbol (Option+V in Mac) and the power(^) symbol.

During the test, I noticed that the letter Y also caused issues similar with the letter Z. As I was already aware of these issues beforehand, I naturally switched to some other letters for variables and continued with the exam.

I had to cancel my first attempt halfway due to technical glitches, but following this post since then has been helpful in going about the test the second time.
Intern
Intern
Online GMAT Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 09:25
Hi,
I have finished my online exam an hour ago.
During the exam I have encountered 3 freezes of system, which took me at least 15 minut of exam time and a lot of stress trying to figure out what to do. During last freeze proctor told me to write down my session number on a piece of paper, then restart computer and paste the code. Later I was asked to show my whole room in order to make sure I no longer have paper nearby. Obviously all of this actions diminished my time left and I had to guess with last ones...
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 09:28
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and sorry about that... 😢

I hope you get a great score... and I find it very ironic that they asked you to write it on paper...

Gicek wrote:
Hi,
During the exam I have encountered 3 freezes of system, which took me at least 15 minut of exam time and a lot of stress trying to figure out what to do. During last freeze proctor told me to write down my session number on a piece of paper, then restart computer and paste the code. Later I was asked to show my whole room in order to make sure I no longer have paper nearby. Obviously all of this actions diminished my time left and I had to guess with last ones...

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Yale
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47 (Online)
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 14:40
Gicek wrote:
Hi,

Hope you could perform well in the exam.

I had a similar encounter when my system froze during the first 5 minutes of the test. I received a phone call from the proctor and she asked me to note down the 9 digit code, restart my Mac and come back to the test again.
Although the system was working fine after restarting, I thought it would be best to retake the test rather than resuming with almost 15 mins lost to the technical issue.
The proctor was reasonable enough and told me that since I had already seen a couple of questions, she can only file a case for the technical issue and that I can retake the test at a later date.
(It took about 20 days before I received a word that I can now book an appointment for my retest)

From my experience, although some technical glitches cause the entire test to be cancelled, but such issues as system freeze where you lose a considerable amount of time, we must tell the proctor and request for a retest if you feel that all this unnecessary pressure and the lost time could impact your performance. They may try to convince you to continue with the test if you are feeling alright, but its important to be rational in such circumstances, and insist that the technical issue will have a serious impact.
Of course, if you are feeling alright and don't mind continuing even after losing 10-15mins, then continue with the test.
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 21:33
Its done!!!. It's been an intense 2 months with 2 in-center tests, 1 online test crashing in the first 5 mins and a retest of the Online GMAT.

Took my exam on Saturday. Knowing that the scores are now released much sooner than the mentioned 7 business days, I was constantly checking my GMAT account and my mail. Didn't receive the email yet but the scores are updated online.
I was really anxious that I totally bombed the verbal section. 3 RC passages (usually my weak area) came after the 25th question and they were super dense. I wasn't confident in almost half of the questions after q25 and the ticking clock only made it worse. But looking at the score made me forget everything else. Got a 770 (Q50 V47).

Thank you guys for sharing various experiences that helped me a lot in my preparation. Will post a debrief soon about my experience.
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 21:44
Oh my word!!!! Wow. Awesome!!!!!! Congrats!!!

reddy10d wrote:
Its done!!!. It's been an intense 2 months with 2 in-center tests, 1 online test crashing in the first 5 mins and a retest of the Online GMAT.

Took my exam on Saturday. Knowing that the scores are now released much sooner than the mentioned 7 business days, I was constantly checking my GMAT account and my mail. Didn't receive the email yet but the scores are updated online.
I was really anxious that I totally bombed the verbal section. 3 RC passages (usually my weak area) came after the 25th question and they were super dense. I wasn't confident in almost half of the questions after q25 and the ticking clock only made it worse. But looking at the score made me forget everything else. Got a 770 (Q50 V47).

Thank you guys for sharing various experiences that helped me a lot in my preparation. Will post a debrief soon about my experience.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 22:11
reddy10d wrote:

Congrats!!! Your post gives me energy to retake it (in a test center), hopefully I can be closer to your mark than to my previous one ;)
Intern
Intern
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 09:14
Hi guys, does anyone know if the use of electronic pencil is allowed on the ONLINE GMAT to do calculations on the whiteboard?
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 09:37
josearchila86 wrote:
Hi guys, does anyone know if the use of electronic pencil is allowed on the ONLINE GMAT to do calculations on the whiteboard?

Posting this three times in different topics probably was more time consuming than a simple search in the forum for the answer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/using-a-pen- ... 21345.html

Regards,
Pablo
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2020, 21:24
Hey guys,

GMAT Online has become really frustrating. My Online GMAT was scheduled couple of days ago. Checkin process was smooth. But after that, only the Proctor Chat window would open. The proctor could not start my test at all. He asked me to restart my system and try again with same access code. The proctor was unable to begin my exam even after restarting my laptop a acouple of times. He then asked me to try from another system. I tried that too, But the access code had expired by then and I could not contact the proctor also. No help from their technical team at all. It was only the proctor asking me to restart the system again and again.

I contacted GMAT customer care. After waiting for about 30 minutes, a representative answered the call and told me that she is not trained to answer queries on GMAT! and she asked me to cut the call and call again! I called again and had to wait another 30 mins to speak with a representative. She created a case with my issue.

Why doesnt Pearson Vue or GMAC bother to atleast send an email letting us know what happened? Atleast in my case the exam didnt even start. But now I have to sit and wait for weeks to just get an email about what happened!

The 'system check' is a flawed process. It is not actually a sytem check at all! It just checks your webcam, mic and internet speed. The 'system check' should actually be able to check if the exam can be successfully run on the system. The entire GMAT Online exprience is highly unprofessional.

What if the same issue occurs again when I reschedule the exam? Is there a problem with my laptop? Or is there an issue with Pearson VUE software? Who will answer these questions?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2020, 21:46
shreyas007 wrote:
Hey guys,

GMAT Online has become really frustrating. My Online GMAT was scheduled couple of days ago. Checkin process was smooth. But after that, only the Proctor Chat window would open. The proctor could not start my test at all. He asked me to restart my system and try again with same access code. The proctor was unable to begin my exam even after restarting my laptop a acouple of times. He then asked me to try from another system. I tried that too, But the access code had expired by then and I could not contact the proctor also. No help from their technical team at all. It was only the proctor asking me to restart the system again and again.

I contacted GMAT customer care. After waiting for about 30 minutes, a representative answered the call and told me that she is not trained to answer queries on GMAT! and she asked me to cut the call and call again! I called again and had to wait another 30 mins to speak with a representative. She created a case with my issue.

Why doesnt Pearson Vue or GMAC bother to atleast send an email letting us know what happened? Atleast in my case the exam didnt even start. But now I have to sit and wait for weeks to just get an email about what happened!

The 'system check' is a flawed process. It is not actually a sytem check at all! It just checks your webcam, mic and internet speed. The 'system check' should actually be able to check if the exam can be successfully run on the system. The entire GMAT Online exprience is highly unprofessional.

What if the same issue occurs again when I reschedule the exam? Is there a problem with my laptop? Or is there an issue with Pearson VUE software? Who will answer these questions?

Hi shreyas007,

Sorry to hear your bad experience.

You are right in saying that this whole online GMAT process is still not well established. I had to go through a similar experience when I first took the online test. And the worst part is the time it took them to get back to me. I had to wait for over 3 weeks before they made me eligible for a retest, and I am still waiting for the refund of the exam I cancelled on 5th of May.
The system check does seem like a pretty straight forward case to check the system hardware, but I am not sure what other processes they may have running in the background.

I believe that the proctors are all staff of PerasonVue and it is highly likely that some of them are ill trained to handle Online GMAT. GMAC is responding to the complaints (they recently allowed testing using a physical whiteboard), but the process can be improved. It would be safe to take the Online GMAT after giving it some time to be clear from all the bugs but right now it all seems like we are test running the beta version of this test.

Hopefully they respond to your case sooner than it took them to get to mine. Good luck with your preparation and the likely retest.

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 02:48
Hi Everyone

I had my online GMAT on June 13. It started great with Quant but when I started verbal I wasn't able to click on any option. I wasted 8min talking and debugging the issue with the proctor, restarted my laptop etc.

I asked the proctor if I would get my lost time back and they kept saying "it'll pick up from where it left off" which basically meant NO. Losing 8min in verbal is test ruining and I kept asking them to give me my lost time back.

Suddenly without even asking me, I was directed to a page saying that my exam is cancelled and that I will be reached out to for a reschdule.

How can GMAC do that without even asking me? My application deadline is June 30. Today is June 18 and I still haven't heard back from them (i've tried calling and emailing but they don't respond) and it takes 6-10 business days I heard to get the online GMAT score. In other words: GMAC HAS RUINED MY CHANCE OF APPLYING THIS YEAR!!

I'm so frustrated and angry! Does anyone know how I can be heard? Who I can reach out to? This is just ridiculous!!
INSEAD School Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2020, 02:55
phoenixreborn wrote:
Hi Everyone

I had my online GMAT on June 13. It started great with Quant but when I started verbal I wasn't able to click on any option. I wasted 8min talking and debugging the issue with the proctor, restarted my laptop etc.

I asked the proctor if I would get my lost time back and they kept saying "it'll pick up from where it left off" which basically meant NO. Losing 8min in verbal is test ruining and I kept asking them to give me my lost time back.

Suddenly without even asking me, I was directed to a page saying that my exam is cancelled and that I will be reached out to for a reschdule.

How can GMAC do that without even asking me? My application deadline is June 30. Today is June 18 and I still haven't heard back from them (i've tried calling and emailing but they don't respond) and it takes 6-10 business days I heard to get the online GMAT score. In other words: GMAC HAS RUINED MY CHANCE OF APPLYING THIS YEAR!!

I'm so frustrated and angry! Does anyone know how I can be heard? Who I can reach out to? This is just ridiculous!!

From my experience the best way to reach the Pearson VUE team is via the website chat, it may take multiple refreshings of the site and waiting for up to 1 hour, but it is worth it (you can lose much more time via email/form/phone).

You still have some time to retake it online, plus some Test Centers are starting to reopen, do not give up yet! It took only 2 business days for me to get my grade, and I believe if you explain to the school your issue you may get some extra time.

Regards,
Pablo
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2020, 17:28
reddy10d wrote:
I was expecting a proctor to come online and have a small chat before commencing the test, but I was directed to the test without any contact with the proctor (Guess the process went smoothly :?

Same thing happened to me as well. But I just continued without wasting any time.
However creating the pacing chart ( which I thought I would make while chatting with the proctor before the start of the paper) took some 1-2 mins and the 1st question could be answered in 4 mins from the start time.

Intern
Intern
B
Online GMAT Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2020, 07:37
My GMAT online exam was scheduled on June 22nd. I waited for 1 hour after checking in but the exam did not start. Eventually I got an error message saying 'Hmm something seems to be wrong, we will reschedule your exam free of cost, please submit a reschedule request on [link]'.

The timeline indicated for Pearson to come back was 5 business days and it has been over 8 business days now.

If anyone can walk me through their experience of rescheduling the GMAT online exam, would give some comfort. I have tried mailing GMAC and calling customer care as well. Customer care listens to my request, takes my details, and then places me on indefinite hold. Seriously frustrating.

A few specific questions:
- Did you get any ticket ID / code after submitting the reschedule request? One of the GMAT customer care execs asked me for this during the call.
- How long did it take for them to revert with a link to reschedule?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2020, 23:21
An account of the glitches I faced on the GMAT Online taken on July 2, 2020.

1. The Quantitative section ended 30 seconds before the allotted time. With 30 seconds still left, the section ended abruptly before I could submit the answer to the last question. The timer continued ticking backwards to 0:00 on the next page, but the opportunity to mark the answer was lost. I believe the section should have ended when the timer struck 0:00 minutes, allowing me to submit my question.

2. When I had about 36 minutes left on the clock while attempting the Verbal section, the Pearson VUE screen froze and I was not able to select any answer choice or move to the next question. I immediately alerted the proctor, who asked me to wait until he could resolve the issue. After a few minutes, he communicated that the problem had been resolved. However, upon checking, the problem had not been resolved, and I alerted him about the same instantly. After a good 6 minutes had passed, he relaunched my exam, which restored the screen. However, given this response time, I lost 6-7 crucial minutes of the Verbal section. While the proctor initially mentioned that I might receive a time extension towards the end, a few minutes after the test restarted, he stated that this might not happen.

-
Has anyone else faced similar issues? What steps did you take for resolution?

Thanks!
N
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Online GMAT Issues   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2020, 23:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

Online GMAT Issues

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep